• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi announced due this summer for PS3 and PS4 (Japan Only ATM)

Reknoc

PUT YA GUNS ON

been waiting for this, every time I remember I should import 4 I decide the XL will be out soon anyway.

Akiller

Never played a Sengoku Basara before, i heard on GAF it has a deeper combat than average musous an. So there's a cheap SB samurai heroes copy at the Gamestop where i always go, should i get it?

I only played One Piece musou 1 and Hyrule Warriors, i enjoyed them (especially HW).

Tizoc

I'd be OK with a digital only release if it would be localized...since PS4 games install their full data to the PS4 anyways...

nampad

Capcom still leaving out the Vita although other multiplatform games do well in Japan compared to the PS3, especially Musous.

Capcom still leaving out the Vita although other multiplatform games do well in Japan compared to the PS3, especially Musous.

They might make another release, or "Party/Utage" style game for the portables. They probably want to transition to the PS4 first.

Oh, and the usual DAY 1.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I have to ask, do I have to play each game to get the full story (bar any textiefied synopsis).
I grew interested after the Extra Credits videos on the Sengoku Jidai.

Netto-kun

The Tales of Zestiria cameo costumes look kind of terrible.

Sorey = Date Masamune
Alisha = Ii Naotora
Edna = Tsuruhime
Mikleo = Ishida Mitsunari

GunBR

This game is like the Omega Force Musou games right?
What's the biggest difference between this one and the others?

And the PS4 version gives me a little hope about a western release. But Capcom...

rhandino

Banned
I wonder, why Capcom can't be bothered to release Sengoku 3 Utage or Sengoku 4 when just last year Tecmo-Koei release like A LOT of musou in different plataforms? Did it bomb so badly? =/

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This game is like the Omega Force Musou games right?
What's the biggest difference between this one and the others?

Compared to the Koei games, the Capcom Basara titles are more like traditional beat-em-ups, with more linear stages. There's no canned combo lists and everything is more free-form. Characters can be a lot more a varied from each other, I.E. in SB4, Naotora Ii can modify her special attacks and give them different enders/follow-ups. Sengoku Basara is also much crazier and over-the-top in its stage and character designs. They're way more stylish games, IMO.

TreIII

I wonder, why Capcom can't be bothered to release Sengoku 3 Utage or Sengoku 4 when just last year Tecmo-Koei release like A LOT of musou in different plataforms? Did it bomb so badly? =/

Thanks to the general mishandling of Sengoku BASARA Samurai Heroes, it didn't sell to whatever lofty expectations Capcom had. And that's why we'll likely never get BASARA in the West ever again.

Leave it to Capcpom to basically have been given two chances to do BASARA right, and flub them both.

ARE YOU READY?

Also, info from KW Warriors/Raindrops based from leaks:

- The PlayStation 4 version will run in 1080p at 60fps.
- There will be forty playable characters in total, the highest number in the series so far.
- Ashikaga Yoshiteru will be playable. He'll use his shaku weapon and switch between his sword, spear and bow depending on the attack. He has a technique which will involve a roulette; the outcome of this affects his fighting style.
- Kyougoku Maria will be playable. Her weapon is cloth, which she controls like a whip.
- There will be a new character: Sen No Rikyuu. He'll be voiced by Sakurai Takahiro and his weapon will be a sensu (folding fan). He has a split personality and it changes according to the move he's using.
- There will be a new 'battle roulette' system which makes a roulette wheel appear onscreen and gives you medals depending on the result. The medals can be traded for a total of 167 special items (this sounds like an advanced version of the camp roulette from Sengoku Basara 3 Utage to me).
- To accompany the Tales Of Zestiria collaboration, there will be DLC costumes including Sorey and Mikleo.

Anime scenes by Production IG are also in this game
Rikyu's two personalities are Wabisuke who hates conflicts, and Sabisuke who is aggressive (kinda like Allelujah and Hallelujah in Gundam 00)

The main character in this game's story will be, you guessed it, Yoshiteru
(on why they added Rikyu) They think Rikyu is interesting, then if they make him have split personality it'd be interesting, then he becomes a psychic.

Tales of Zestiria costume assignations:
Sorey -> Date Masamune
Mikleo -> Ishida Mitsunari
Alisha -> Ii Naotora
Edna -> Tsuruhime

There will be more collaborations on the way, said to be a total of 6 collabs

Partner switches will be available from the beginning
If you've played SB4, you can carry over most of the things from vanilla save data

Development process: 70%

There were 32 playable characters in the original game, we have 3 more confirmed playable, so now to guess which of the remaining 5 characters slot would go to, lol

sensui-tomo

As good as this is seeming to look, wasnt Sengoku basara 4 considered a bad release compared to SB3 utage?(terms of being a good game/unique characters/count)

As good as this is seeming to look, wasnt Sengoku basara 4 considered a bad release compared to SB3 utage?(terms of being a good game/unique characters/count)

well it doesnt help that Capcom keep dropping characters so they can use them as reasons to buy the next game, thankfully KOEI did that once and never again after the backlash, so in that regard fuck Capcom

sensui-tomo

well it doesnt help that Capcom keep dropping characters so they can use them as reasons to buy the next game, thankfully KOEI did that once and never again after the backlash, so in that regard fuck Capcom

well i understood it for sb3 due to the era of the game for specific characters (hideyoshi made sense) but my issue with them(capcom) is having uniques npcs and not having them playable, the only time i think this was ever a case for koei was Samurai warriors 1 with tadakatsu(HONDAM) having a unique npc but that was fixed immediately in the extreme legends, but hearing bad reviews about 4 was what kept me from importing it, hell i imported utage since that was good.

There some good and bad things.

The dropping of characters weren't so bad considering the ones dropped were barely fully playable characters in Utage to begin with (one special move, no costumes, one weapon model).

We did lose the super complex story mode in favor of simplifying it though that's either a plus or a minus. There were also less game modes, all you had was story and free mode.

The new weapon system is pretty good though since it allows customization even if its limited to each character and is still random drops.

Partner system is cool but it was basically locked away for most of the game until you got someone to level 50.

Basically, it had both good and bad changes.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
This series will never come to the west ;_;7

I played Basara 3 for what felt like 300 hours and I put in a good chunk of time into my import copy of Basara 4, but after a while playing Basara 4 with a translation guide for menus every time I wanted to do something just got tedious. I felt like I couldn't really explore the awesome weapon fusion stuff and that I was missing out on a bunch of modes.

Also while I don't play these games for the story, I do generally like to be aware of what's going on at the moment.

Really loved basara 4's gameplay though, Sumeragi should be amazing. I feel like SB3 Utage was more feature rich but SB4 improved on characters a good amount.

TreIII

There were 32 playable characters in the original game, we have 3 more confirmed playable, so now to guess which of the remaining 5 characters slot would go to, lol

Worst case/realistic scenario, it's just the remaining Utage NPCs (re: Kasuga, Kenshin, Shingen, the Maedas), with Hojo Ujimasa still being benched.

If they didn't come out the gate with the likes of Nouhime, Ranmaru and Itsuki along with this new Rikyuu guy? We likely won't see them until SB5.

Worst case/realistic scenario, it's just the remaining Utage NPCs (re: Kasuga, Kenshin, Shingen, the Maedas), with Hojo Ujimasa still being benched.

If they didn't come out the gate with the likes of Nouhime, Ranmaru and Itsuki along with this new Rikyuu guy? We likely won't see them until SB5.
This makes me sad. The least they could do is bring back all 6. I was hoping this game would fill in all the missing roster from Utage and Heroes, so 5 coild be all new peeps.

Alas, PS4 version will be day 1 for me. I just hope they fixed the horrid weapon system of 4. That is the only reason I haven't played it more.

TreIII

This makes me sad. The least they could do is bring back all 6. I was hoping this game would fill in all the missing roster from Utage and Heroes, so 5 coild be all new peeps.

Alas, PS4 version will be day 1 for me. I just hope they fixed the horrid weapon system of 4. That is the only reason I haven't played it more.

Man, for it to be the game released during the "10th anniversary" celebration, I was hoping for a bit more myself. Xavi, Nouhime, Ranmaru and Itsuki, along with the Utage PCs, would have reunited the original roster of this series in a new game for almost just as long.

But be as it may...I hear about them bringing back the likes of Personal Items, a traditional Conquer Mode, overhaul the weapon system and actually give us a REAL Daibutokai mode (instead of just playing Shingen's Dojo stage over and over), I suppose this will do, for now.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Same. I nearly bit the bullet and bought SB4 the last time it went on sale, glad I waited.

This may not be the same game as SB4-- SB2 Heroes and SB3 Utage had different storylines (for those who had them). If you're OK with just playing levels in free mode, however, it won't matter.

sensui-tomo

capcom doesnt want koei numbers.. they want RE numbers (Sales), thats why.

Prophane33

Fantastic, I own all the PS3 releases, so will likely pick this up too...though SB4 (while a good game) kind of burned me out on the series.

IIRC, one of the things Capacom mentioned was that dubbing SB3 was supposedly really expensive. Why they didn't go the sub/DD-only route that Koei-Tecmo has found success for, who knows.

Though, maybe with this coming out on the PS4, Capacom will give this series a third shot in the West. /pipe dream

TreIII

This may not be the same game as SB4-- SB2 Heroes and SB3 Utage had different storylines (for those who had them). If you're OK with just playing levels in free mode, however, it won't matter.

Judging from what I read on KW, it sounds like all of the content from vanilla SB4 will be included. Which especially makes sense, considering Sumeragi will have a PS4 version and thus, would have no other way to access that vanilla content.

IIRC, one of the things Capacom mentioned was that dubbing SB3 was supposedly really expensive. Why they didn't go the sub/DD-only route that Koei-Tecmo has found success for, who knows.
The dub for SB3 was fantastic (at least for the non-mook characters), so I'm not surprised. The only character I wasn't feeling for was Kenshin, but the rest? They were great. I went into it expecting DW levels of dubbing. Man, was I in for a treat.

I wish they'd release SB4 sub-only or download-only, if that's the only way we're gonna get SB4. But at this point I'm better off learning Japanese. :/ Too bad I'll never hear Baker as Mitsunari again.

rhandino

Banned
Thanks to the general mishandling of Sengoku BASARA Samurai Heroes, it didn't sell to whatever lofty expectations Capcom had. And that's why we'll likely never get BASARA in the West ever again.

Leave it to Capcpom to basically have been given two chances to do BASARA right, and flub them both.

capcom doesnt want koei numbers.. they want RE numbers (Sales), thats why.

Though, maybe with this coming out on the PS4, Capacom will give this series a third shot in the West. /pipe dream

Thanks for the answers guys, I have Samurai Heroes for the Wii since it was gifted from my brother after he beat it and played for 100s of hours but I don't wanna start it because don't want to feel the disappointment when new games of the franchise are announced and know I cannot play them.

Oh Capcom, why can't you release your game without dubs only expect Musou numbers =/

If the recent anime gets a dub, I'd assume he'd reprise the role.

Only if FUNI has money to throw around for that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Also scans are out.

Sen No Rikyuu looks pretty different. Not what you expect for a cast of pretty boys.

Also the Tales of Zestiria costumes are lolworthy.

Since you loved the anime you would like the game 100x more. The anime is pure shit compared to the games.
I wouldn't say that about the most recent anime. I felt like it did a fantastic job at taking SB3 various stories and placing them into a single, cohesive timeline of events. I'd love to see one done for SB4 at some point.

Top Bottom