• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sia's SNL performance. YEA or NAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelseph

Very divisive performance from Sia on this past weekend's SNL. What are gaf's opinions? Art or farts?

Sia - Elastic Heart (Live on SNL)

Sia - Chandelier (Live on SNL)

o-SIA-SNL-facebook.jpg

Courage

The whole 'little girl dancing while I'm in a corner singing' shtick is overplayed at this point.

It's decent, I don't see how it's polarizing.

Wreav

Banned
Took me a while to figure out if the adult dancer was a guy or girl. Actually, I'm still not sure. No eyebrows, either way.

The reason Sia is doing this is because even at 39, she looks 55. I'd be hiding too.

471611_1.jpg

megamerican

She sounds really good live. The performance was a little arty and up its own ass but was probably better than watching Sia by herself standing still with a lampshade on her face.

DuffDry

Wasn't aware that it was a divisive performance.

I'm fine with Sia. Didn't like Chandelier at all, including the video, but Elastic Heart is one of the best music videos I've seen in years.

Assuming its goal was to elevate the music in some way, it failed for me-- all it did was distract me from the music. I didn't mind it but it didn't impact me positively either.

Can't watch the SNL performance right now, but I'm very familiar with both songs and their official videos. It looks like SNL incorporated the dancing from the videos. No big deal. Sia is awesome, and who cares if she doesn't want to draw attention to her physical appearance? She has Graves Disease, and probably is very self-conscious about that.

Wreav

Banned
Pop star seems like a weird profession for someone with extreme stage fright.

It's not stage fright; it's a social experiment bucking the notions of fame and recognizability that would have been better served with someone that, you know, didn't have a shit ton of photos and music videos out already.

Dice//

Banned
Took me a while to figure out if the adult dancer was a guy or girl. Actually, I'm still not sure. No eyebrows, either way.

The reason Sia is doing this is because even at 39, she looks 55. I'd be hiding too.

So? She's got more talented than half the "pretty ones".

Its because of attitudes like yours that she hides her face probably. What does looking good have to do with sounding good? She's got a point about divorcing the look from the music.

Nay. Just didn't do it for me. It came off a bit pretentious or artsy fartsy for my tastes. I'm still trying to figure out if that one dancer is a dude.

She has a great voice though.

I couldn't help but admire the balls to do somethiung so different.
An maybe it was just for the sake of being different, but I'm ok with that.

I liked the SNL performances but really liked the performance on Seth Myers. Face down in a bed while Lena Dunham lip syncs... even for a crusty old soul I begrudgingly liked it.

She sings like an 18 year old and I only learned last week that she was older. I'm all for her.

Jeff-DSA

Sia's voice is nails on a chalkboard to me. No wonder she does all this visual distraction crap when she performs. Anything to help ease the burden of having to listen to her.

The Lamp

She sounds really good live. The performance was a little arty and up its own ass but was probably better than watching Sia by herself standing still with a lampshade on her face.

Her Chandelier performance on Ellen was cringeworthy at times....voice cracking pretty bad. It's weird because In that song it's like she purposefully sings in the range of notes she can't hit well because she likes the sound of it.

Revolver

Breathe Me still gets me a little misty eyed whenever I hear it thanks to Six Feet Under. I don't care much for her other songs.

Her Chandelier performance on Ellen was cringeworthy at times....voice cracking pretty bad. It's weird because In that song it's like she purposefully sings in the range of notes she can't hit well because she likes the sound of it.

I actually like it when her voice cracks during live performances. It's makes for a raw, authentic sound that I really dig.

It would be more of a problem if she were off-key, which I don't think she typically is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom