• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS HoloLens

Confused by the 'holographic' term and 'photons bouncing around'.

I thought any kind of real-time holography was a long way away, if this is genuine it's an enormous step forward. The realist in me says it's just marketing speak gone awry, and it's either stereo screens or retinal projection. I await more details.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
My biggest question is how this will intergrate with xbone and kinect! :D

I'm not sure it will.

I feel they are really pushing this towards corporates and professional people. I think it's going to be quite pricey.

I thought any kind of real-time holography was a long way away, if this is genuine it's an enormous step forward. The realist in me says it's just marketing speak gone awry, and it's either stereo screens or retinal projection. I await more details.

It's not real holograms. The image is projected into your eyes and it appears that it's really in space in front of you. In a lot of ways that is a better approach because they can deal with very bright light conditions better.

Bgamer90

Banned
My biggest question is how this will intergrate with xbone and kinect! :D

I was wondering the same thing. May see something at E3.

I'm not sure it will.

I feel they are really pushing this towards corporates and professional people. I think it's going to be quite pricey.

They did mention Minecraft with it. I agree though that it does seem like it will be expensive. Will be surprised if it's under $250.

Spasm

It's not projecting anything. Only the user wearing the lens can see anything.
That may not technically be true. I'm guessing the user isn't looking directly at any screens, rather the reflection of tiny stereoscopic projectors, sorta like the old Sega 'holographic' game, Time Traveler. But yeah, I know what you mean. Only the wearer sees anything.

jesu

How Minecraft is supposed to look

_80431130_mic.jpg

I can't see this thing being cheap as it has it's own computer built into it.

It really is a short leap of logic how people could compare HoloLens to Kinect; an Xbox peripheral that was tethered to the Xbox 360, dependent on Xbox 360 hardware, not demoed in real-time at announcement, not a keystone in the entire Windows business and priced at $150.

In saying that, Kinect was a necessary stepping stone towards this and it looks as if all of the R&D keeps paying off.

Cidd

Can't believe people are actually falling for this shit again. of course it works in a MS created well lit controlled environment, so did Kinect...

smh.

Ratros

From my perspective it feels like an updated version of 3DS/PSV AR. Still would like to buy it, but Microsoft hasn't given out any concrete info regarding availability or pricing. Maybe it is still a prototype product.

Besides, Microsoft doesn't have a strong history of leading innovation. They had a lot of fantastic concepts, including eReader, Tablet PC, module-based mobile phones, and Kinect. But in the end it is always other companies - Apple, Google, Amazon, just to name a few - carries out the mass-market-ready version and takes all the credit. I am not jumping to any conclusion here; I just get a little bit disappointed after being "tricked" into buying Windows 7 Tablet, Windows Phone 7 device, $499 XBOX One and a Lumia 920 through all these years.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

_80431130_mic.jpg

Looks amazing. Hopefully we will hear feedback from folks that have tried it today.

If it's cheap enough. Table top gaming will be awesome with this.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

_80431130_mic.jpg

It's probably smartphone-grade processing guts...that doesn't have to be super duper expensive, depending on what they want to go for.

The bigger cost would probably be in the display and/or maybe the cameras.

Although the latter in particular is just guess-work.

reckless

From my perspective it feels like an updated version of 3DS/PSV AR. Still would like to buy it, but Microsoft hasn't given out any concrete info regarding availability or pricing. Maybe it is still a prototype product.

Besides, Microsoft doesn't have a strong history of leading innovation. They had a lot of fantastic concepts, including eReader, Tablet PC, module-based mobile phones, and Kinect. But in the end it is always other companies - Apple, Google, Amazon, just to name a few - carries out the mass-market-ready version and takes all the credit. I am not jump to any conclusion here; I just get a little bit disappointed after being "tricked" into buying Windows 7 Tablet, Windows Phone 7 device, $499 XBOX One and a Lumia 920 through all these years.

Microsoft's problem is that they're always too far ahead before the technology has matured, this might run into the same problem.

If it works as well as in the ad then this will be pretty amazing.

Can't believe people are actually falling for this shit again. of course it works in a MS created well lit controlled environment, so did Kinect...

smh.

No it didn't. Any time Microsoft demonstrated Kinect live, it had the same flaws on stage (and in demo booths) as it does in your living room. People still pointed out the lag, the tracking was flawed (hence the famous bottom of an avatars foot moment) and voice commands failed to register, all live on stage. Kinect works in the dark via IR so it isn't dependent on perfect lighting, and I'm assuming the same is true of this if it's using a similar sensor. The only time Kinect was misleading was in promo ads that never came to fruition (like Milo), not in real world testing.

Fliesen

Microsoft's problem is that they're always too far ahead before the technology has matured, this might run into the same problem.

If it works as well as in the ad then this will be pretty amazing.

literally nothing works as well as in ads and promotional videos.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Why do people say it's "just" AR? Is what they're showing old tech? Has anyone else been successful doing anything like this on this scale? Why so much emphasis on what they call their thing?

Mainly because nobody cares about AR. The best William Gibson could come up with was wierdo shrines to celebrities parked on servers along tourist destinations.

Alx

No it didn't. Any time Microsoft demonstrated Kinect live, it had the same flaws on stage (and in demo booths) as it does in your living room. People still pointed out the lag, and the tracking was flawed (hence the famous bottom of an avatars foot moment) and voice commands failed to register, all live on stage.

Yeah and you could notice similar tracking latency in today's demo, and notice that they were careful to avoid fast motions. Also the "helicopter building" part had its clumsy moments, even if she probably had trained a lot to do it.
All of it seems legit, and it should be. We know they have the tech for depth measurement, voice recognition, and apparently head-up-display now. The big hurdle now will be cost.

Chaos17

I think that's on purpose that they used that word instead of augmentaed reality because you still need to wear those glasses to see pictures being displayed just like Google glasses.

Real time holography is more like this and it has been accomplished without any glasses : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEaBqiLeCu0

bomblord1

Banned
I think that's on purpose that they used that word instead of augmentaed reality because you still need to wear those glasses to see pictures being displayed just like Google glasses.

Real time holography is more like this and it has been accomplished without any glasses : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEaBqiLeCu0

That's not holography it's a projector putting up a 2D image on a pane of glass if you viewed it from the side it would look flat.

The wired article made it sound as though the person using it was walking on a virtualMars landscape, what's the different between AR and VR in that instance?
Well one augments reality (you are walking on Mars and see your own hands) the other is a virtual world where even your own body is an avatar. If I had a table in the middle of the room I would expect to see it with AR, but not VR.

cyberheater

It's probably smartphone-grade processing guts...that doesn't have to be super duper expensive, depending on what they want to go for.

The bigger cost would probably be in the display and/or maybe the cameras.

Although the latter in particular is just guess-work.

I agree. The optics and display sound critical for this which probably means quite expensive initially.

How dey do dat?! Lasers? I thought they needed some solid or liquid medium to reflect the light?

Anyway, bit disappointed that MS chose the 'holo' name; that's setting the bar pretty high if it ends up being images bounced off the translucent screen, or even is it's direct retinal projection. Holography it ain't.

Klyka

Banned
How dey do dat?! Lasers? I thought they needed some solid or liquid medium to reflect the light?

Anyway, bit disappointed that MS chose the 'holo' name; that's setting the bar pretty high if it ends up being images bounced off the translucent screen, or even is it's direct retinal projection. Holography it ain't.

Fog. It's projected on fog.

Top Bottom