• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retailer Reservations in Japan: New Super Mario Bros. breaks 1.3 millions

lancubap

mod power abuse

this is for retail reservations only: not consumers.

if lancuap edits this again he's banned

mod power abuse

Well, there is nothing more to say: if we trust the Website NintendojoFR, New Super Mario Bros. has reached 1.3 millions of reservations in Japan alone.

So, probably the game will be the best launch on Nintendo DS in this country. And probably will become the best selling game on Nintendo DS.

The game will come in Japan on May 25, on May 15 in USA and on 30 Juin in Europe.

Mario, Koopas, Toads & co. are back !!

commiekoopa.jpg

mod power abuse

this is for retail reservations only: not consumers.

if lancuap edits this again he's banned

mod power abuse

SlayrUK

Japan have some serious Nintendo love.. it's great to see.

I think i'll emigrate there one day... :)

That game does look awesome though - can't wait to get it when it arrives here in sunny England

ant1532

Banned
lancubap said:
Well, there is nothing more to say: if we trust the Website NintendojoFR, New Super Mario Bros. has reached 1.3 millions of reservations in Japan alone.
Europe.
i dont trust em.

1,3 millions is an astonishing result if true... considering there are reservations it could hit 1 million on day one or during first week..

Except Pokemon phenomenon, in the last 10 years the biggest results for Nintendo games were Brain Training 2 (420k units sold) and Zelda OoT (380k units sold)...

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
I had decided never to bother with handhelds again after the GBA, but after watching the new trailer at http://mario.nintendo.com/ and I must admit this games looks fucking awesome, and I'll probably pick up a DSL with NSMB when they are released in Europe.

What is the word on multiplayer functions? Could I play through the game 2P like you could in SMW?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Tsubasa no Tenshi said:
Only to be topped by Brain Training Pokemon Edition

No, Brain Training Mario Edition will outsell Pokemon Edition.

HOWEVER....

The combined total of Brain Training Pokemon Edition Orange Opal of Might and Brain Training Pokemon Edition Aquamarine Amethyst of Power will far surpass even our greatest sales imaginations

cvxfreak

1.3 Million? Whoa. Nintendo should have no problem selling through that in the summer and probably sell some more copies in the winter, too.

kpop100 said:
Why so much surprise here? This is the long awaited sequel to the best selling franchise ever no?
Because apparently Brain Training killed off any hope of actual games selling. Well, according to some people in the sales threads...

John Harker said:
No, Brain Training Mario Edition will outsell Pokemon Edition.

HOWEVER....

The combined total of Brain Training Pokemon Edition Orange Opal of Might and Brain Training Pokemon Edition Aquamarine Amethyst of Power will far surpass even our greatest sales imaginations

Lol don't forget when they bring out Red Rhodonite of Force as the third addition for that generation in the tradition of Yellow, Crystal and Emerald.

tanasten said:
1.3 M? WOW, it's even close to DQ 8 number of reservations! O_O

yup. this is beginning to beg the question: will NSMB surpass DQ8 lifetime numbers?

Its definitely a strong possiblity with around 1.3 expected in first week and the legs NDS first party titles have these days. Plus im guessing this game with have the benifit of sharing userbase of both gamers and non-gamers. As the NDS install base continues to ramp up i'd expect NSMB to have a continued presence on the charts. should be interesting!
that is, interesting to see an actual game sitting at the top of the charts for a bit;)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
If the re-re-release (or whatever) of SMB can top 1million, this should do much more, especially riding the DS wave. I can see most new buyers picking this up and thats like 100k per week every week.

Just to clarify, these are store orders. The game could just as well sell 25 copies on day one. The stores are just assuming that there will be demand.

mutsu

This should come as no surprise.

I mean, a 10 year old remake (Super Mario 64 DS) sold 1 million copies. How many copies do you expect a completely new Mario game would sell?

Let alone the fact that this is like the first 2D Mario game in AGES... Plus, giving it the same feel as the original Super Mario Bros is definitely big big plus.

I expect this to sell at least 3 million copies.

snatches said:
ACWW has not surpassed Japan sales of DQ8

And you doubt it will?

It's still selling tons, more than most games in Japan do in their launch week. I mean, what's it at in Japan right now, 2.7 million? If it held onto 40k for three more months, it would be at 3.18 million - only 300k away from DQVIII.

Just wait until Princess Peach School Girl Training comes out.

"Did I put my panties on correctly? Use the stylus to check!"

SyNapSe

It's odd with all the sequal haters at GAF that this game has so many people excited. It actually goes back to 2D and they can't even bother with a new name. That said, I just watched both video's and it looked rocktacular!

It makes me so sad that many of these games come out only for handhelds. I basically have no use for a handheld but I want to play this and Final Fantasy III, and all the other FF type remakes :(

Mrbob

People are going whoa at retailers ordering 1.3 million copies of a new game (FINALLY) in a long standing, extremely succesful series? Get some perspective.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
PhoenixDark said:
Just wait until Princess Peach School Girl Training comes out.

"Did I put my panties on correctly? Use the stylus to check!"
How many copies would you buy?

SyNapSe

Mrbob said:
People are going whoa at retailers ordering 1.3 million copies of a new game (FINALLY) in a long standing, extremely succesful series? Get some perspective.

1.3 million is a lot of preorders... seriously. I have no clue what the Japanese DS userbase is but it can't be that high it hasn't been out for a terribly long time yet.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
SyNapSe said:
1.3 million is a lot of preorders... seriously. I have no clue what the Japanese DS userbase is but it can't be that high it hasn't been out for a terribly long time yet.
Over 7 million. (Fuzzy gimmie some exact numbers!)

Mrbob

SyNapSe said:

For a brand new Mario game? It is going to sell like gangbusters. If this game doesn't go over 2 million in Japan alone this year I will be shocked. I think the game can easily push over 7 million worldwide by the end of the year (2 million Japan, 3 million USA, 2 million Europe).

cvxfreak said:
If you knew anything about the Japanese game market you'd realize how unusual this is.

So you don't think a new Mario game is on the level of FF or DQ?

cvxfreak

Mrbob said:

If you knew anything about the Japanese game market you'd realize how unusual this is.

Top Bottom