• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Hololense isn't VR or AR

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-s-hololens-is-something-different-than-o/1100-6424809/

"Today's efforts in VR and AR are truly exciting. What we are talking about is something different."

The Microsoft rep went on to explain what the company thinks will set HoloLens apart from other virtual reality and augmented reality technologies.

"Holographic experiences on Windows are about delivering a mixed reality of both your digital world and your real world," the spokesperson said. "We are integrating holograms into the world around you--transforming the ways you create, connect, and explore. We hope holographic experiences on Windows 10 will help drive continued innovation in this category."

Are people buying into this? I don't see how it isn't AR. It might be the best AR ever, but does Microsoft know what a hologram is?
Hint: it doesn't use a headset.

Somnid

It's both. It's hijacking your normal vision to insert virtual things (VR). This is different from say projecting a hologram into the space to let your eye perceive it naturally. Though it still anchors things to a real environment which is AR.

5taquitos

"Holographic experiences on Windows are about delivering a mixed reality of both your digital world and your real world," the spokesperson said. "We are integrating holograms into the world around you--transforming the ways you create, connect, and explore. We hope holographic experiences on Windows 10 will help drive continued innovation in this category."

So it's AR then.

nynt9

It's PR.

edit: dammit.

giphy.gif

SerTapTap

Ugh stop pretending they're holograms, words have meanings. It's AR full stop. It's just on your face instead of your phone.

nynt9

Ugh stop pretending they're holograms, words have meanings. It's AR full stop. It's just on your face instead of your phone.

Yeah, jokes aside, it really is just AR. But they have to put their own "spin" on it to make it cool and be all "look at how we're different and innovative space tech from the future!"

Durante

Stop bullshitting.

It's fucking AR. It's the very fucking definition of VR.

Seriously, shit like this annoys me so much.

Why do they do this? They go to lengths to distance their tech from existing tech when in reality it's very very close to it and usually an advancement of it. They break barriers and then claim they didn't, rather they did something new. Strange business practice.

joesiv

That quote's pretty much the definition of AR though
I guess the only distinction that I can think of is that their solution is a shared augmented reality. Multiple users can see the same augmentation. This is what a holography can offer, but traditionally doesn't have eyewear.

Currently augmented reality is generally a single user experience.. I think

Xbudz

The inclusion of depth sensors and the ability to interact with objects using just your hands is impressive, but it's still AR in my mind. I can understand Microsoft wanting to be bullish regarding what to call it though, it's pretty unique.

Durante

I guess the only deduction distinction that I can think of is that their solution is a shared augmented reality. Multiple users can see the same augmentation.
That has been the goal of AR since it was first dreamed up early last century.

It's AR.

Microsoft clearly wants the hologram idea to stick since it has been a fantasy tech for so long. But a hologram is projected, and needs no headgear. I would be really excited if they invented that.

It reminds me of what they did with Kinect and the "your body is the controller" slogan. Kinect was a minor upgrade to camera motion controls, which had been around a long time. In the end people have dismissed Kinect, even though MS tried to cram it down our throats. This feels the same way to me. Deceptive description of a device thats marginally better than other headsets and will likely be dismissed eventually, especially if someone invents a real consumer grade hologram projector.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The more they try this shit the less faith I have in the product actually performing as advertised.

I hate it just as much when Apple calls its products "magical" and shit..

SerTapTap

Why do they do this? They go to lengths to distance their tech from existing tech when in reality it's very very close to it and usually an advancement of it. They break barriers and then claim they didn't, rather they did something new. Strange business practice.
Because people see vr and say "no I want a holodeck, not this stuff you put on your face". Ms comes in and says " here's your holodeck, Sir, just put this on your face " and somehow people buy it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

They do this because apparently too many customers aren't able to differentiate between good technology that is implemented poorly and bad technology.

hawk2025

I do not understand why they are trying to push the word "holograms" instead of "AR".

I suppose some market research somewhere told them that it was more marketable.

joesiv

That has been the goal of AR since it was first dreamed up early last century.

It's AR.

I agree that Hololens is AR... (of course, it's using AR technology). However, couldn't a hologram also be considered "AR" since you are compositing non real data on a real environment? it's just that Holograms are fiction from scifi movies, that they got their own fancy name?

nynt9

"No man, you don't get it, this isn't like AR, it's different. We all know what that is and that it has limitations, but this doesn't! The only limit is your imagination!"

It's typical PR. A lot of companies do this, but Microsoft are especially good at this kind of reverse-FUD.

See "The infinite power of the cloud" and such.

Durante

I agree that Hololens is AR... (of course, it's using AR technology). However, couldn't a hologram also be considered "AR" since you are compositing non real data on a real environment? it's just that Holograms are fiction from scifi movies, that they got their own fancy name?
No.

A hologram is something you create in space independent of any observer.

Alx

It reminds me of what they did with Kinect and the "your body is the controller" slogan. Kinect was a minor upgrade to camera motion controls, which had been around a long time.

That's not true either, moving from 2D cameras to 3D cameras is at least as big a change as moving from 2D graphics to 3D graphics. More than a generation gap, it's a technology gap.

onQ123

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-s-hololens-is-something-different-than-o/1100-6424809/

"Today's efforts in VR and AR are truly exciting. What we are talking about is something different."

The Microsoft rep went on to explain what the company thinks will set HoloLens apart from other virtual reality and augmented reality technologies.

Are people buying into this? I don't see how it isn't AR. It might be the best AR ever, but does Microsoft know what a hologram is?
Hint: it doesn't use a headset.

No it's MR Mixed Reality.

AR is just a overlay over the real world MR is when you can interact with the virtual world that's being mixed with the real world.

Being able to move the virtual items around as if they are in the real world is MR.

tumblr_nckojmxGmE1rcnsrlo1_500.png

Top Bottom