• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armpit hair in games

Bear with me. You ever notice how in most games no one seems to have armpit hair?

This can be explained by several factors. Either a character is young and effeminate like Vaan from FFXII, in which the smooth underarms looks natural, or devs simply skimp out on it because it's an area of a character's model that no one is ever going to see. But in some cases you get obviously masculine characters who are painstakingly detailed in every inch of their body, only to be smooth as a baby under their arms. Why do you think that is? Recent example is Geralt of Rivia:

mmvyjm.gif

Does he seem like the type to put everything down in the middle of an adventure to shave his pits? I mean, no one wants a monster bush under their arms but neatly trimmed pit hair is still acceptable, right? It makes me wonder if devs even know they're doing it at this point. Like it's not something they think about so the model just gets rendered that way without anyone sparing a thought. Or is there just a global taboo on armpit hair that I don't know about? Oddly enough the only armpit hair I remember being rendered was Olga in MGS2:

big-bosses-mgs2-olga.jpg

What do you think is going on here?

madmook

Hard enough rendering head hair, why have the hassle of other hairs to render unrealistically?

Is this your fetish?

SerTapTap

The tricks we use to fake head-hair don't particularly map to armpit (or other) hair. Note Witcher-bro also has no arm hair

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Came here for Olga.

Although I gotta say the Witcher does look jarring. Dudes got a beard ffs.

Now I'm picturing him knife-shaving that shit with lard near a campfire or something.

Seems like an area of the body that isn't going to be on display too often or very prominently in a lot of games, so why go to the bother of making it.

I'm still pissed they took away hairy chests in Dark Souls 2, we can finally make bearded gruff looking older guys but they have the bodies of anime bishonen. It wasn't exactly a rug in DS1, but it was something to look at whilst going up an elevator.

entremet

I think it also has to the technical priorities.

The Witcher having no body hair at all is also jarring, but it's probably easier to do.

Video games don't really go for higher realism.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Good morning GAF! What a beautiful day! Hmm? What's this thread?

SrYyNh3.gif

You gotta work hard to render that armpit hair. Make it a feature in the next Dark Souls.

SRTtoZ

I've noticed at the gym a lot of guys with shaved pits. Really weird and I doubt they are all swimmers.

When you stop and think about it, what a weird place to have hair.

Platy

I have a theory that games hates curly hair .... and that is what the majority of armpit hair is made of

texture artists will often hide the seams of a character's UV map under the arm pit. This probably isn't such a big deal nowadays because of 3D painting tools. But I can see why a game wouldn't want to draw attention to the under arms 5+ years ago.

Windforce

Armpit hair probably not worth rendering as it doesn't appear as often.

Anyway, there's armpit hair on the EA Sports UFC models. Guess they are just textures, been a while I don't play it so I don't remember.

ea_sports_ufc_03.jpg

Mandoric

Banned
Huh, never thought about that. I guess it's related to how terribly hair clips in most engines? Even if you added stubble texture it'd still look shaved on most guys, just badly shaved, and of course it's considered unattractive on women in the US and Japan so apart from Kojima being Kojima most studios wouldn't give a woman who didn't shave a sleeveless shirt to begin with.

Zombine

Banned
I shave my armpits regularly, so I feel as if these clean shaven heroes helps me share a deeper bond with the character.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I was about to say Olga. The only one I can remember.

Leon's alternate outfit that allows him to one-hand aim guns in Biohazard 2 also has "underarm hair" as textures.

Great-God

Banned
I've noticed at the gym a lot of guys with shaved pits. Really weird and I doubt they are all swimmers.

When you stop and think about it, what a weird place to have hair.

Actually not. There's a lot of friction in both armpits and crotch, so there's hair to protect the skin.

On topic, I was expecting Olga and I'm not dissapointed.

Dice//

Banned
No problem with this, I think armpit hair is icky on both men and women (rather, I hate when it's long and sticking out of shirts).

Top Bottom