• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Support for YouTube and Maps apps on PS Vita is ending

Hanmik

All features of the [Maps] application and some features of the [near] application will be disabled with the PlayStation®Vita system software update planned on March, 2015.

Functionalities of the applications will be removed automatically once users update their PlayStation®Vita.

The disablement of features will not affect gameplay.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5431

The YouTube application for PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) will no longer be supported after 20 April 2015, and the application will cease to be available for download from PlayStation®Store on 28 January, 2015.

Users can continue to enjoy YouTube via the "Browser" application, and will be able to access their YouTube data, such as playlists and channels, by signing in to the same Google account via the "Browser" app and on other devices. (http://m.youtube.com)

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5432

strange that they are stopping the support for these apps..

Tapejara

This sucks :(. I use the YouTube app all of the time. Wonder how long the rest of the apps will last; Netflix hasn't been updated in a long time.

Nymo

Neo Member
Well, there goes the hope to have YouTube on PlayStation TV :/

Wonder why these Google-powered services are suddenly leaving the Vita.

As for 'near': I suppose the little map that shows up when you click a location will be disappearing, since it shows a Google Map of the location? Hope nothing else major is removed from it...

As an iPhone 5S owner I used my Vita's YouTube app very often due to its superior and much bigger screen. This saddens me. Not so much the loosing the app on Vita, but the fact that this may be the first concrete sign of Sony giving up on my beloved Vita.

Hip Hop

As an iPhone 5S owner I used my Vita's YouTube app very often due to its superior and much bigger screen. This saddens me.

The first concrete sign of Sony giving up.

Yeah, if nothing comes up during this E3, the system is definitely done.

But I guess existing owners can enjoy whatever indie games are coming out for it.

This is utter bullshit! BULLSHIT!

Vita means life, so breathe more life into it instead of killing it!! for crying out loud, sony!!!

Tapejara

Will this effect location data, if so what happens to destiny of spirits?

I hope they give an update on Near. Would suck if games like Smart As and Destiny of Spirits suddenly had unachievable trophies and missing features because the maps service is no longer supported.

Edit: Well it says gameplay isn't affected. Does this mean games that use Near for trading items (Unit 13, Ragnarok Odyssey) won't be affected?

Tizoc

I'm a little confused, I have Youtube app on my Vita, I assume it'll remain in my download list too?

I haven't been very pleased with Sony's slow PS4 firmware updates but now they are actually removing features from my Vita? Get your act together guys.

Watkins

This sucks :(. I use the YouTube app all of the time. Wonder how long the rest of the apps will last; Netflix hasn't been updated in a long time.

I bought mine thinking I could use it as a netflix machine in the bedroom. Turns out netflix isn't even available in europe...

Not too bummed about youtube though, doubt I've ever used it much.

I can see how this is a bad thing for many though

AlexIIDX

Are you fucking kidding me!? I literally watch youtube videos and browse gaf on my vita before I go to sleep every night...that really fucking sucks.

I give it until this E3 to see if Sony is doing anything with the Vita. If they don't it'll be official in that it will end up being a Remote Play device that will occasionally get ports of downloadable Psn games.

Yeah, if nothing comes up during this E3, the system is definitely done.

But I guess existing owners can enjoy whatever indie games are coming out for it.

Lol, wow

I give it until this E3 to see if Sony is doing anything with the Vita. If they don't it'll be official in that it will end up being a Remote Play device that will occasionally get ports of downloadable Psn games.

What? There are a lot of games coming..?

Just downloaded it off the online store. I'll be getting a Vita relatively soon though stuff like this makes me want to wait for another $169.99 sale to happen.

JimPanzer

I always fear they'll drop the obligation to include remote play in games. So many developers already don't care and just use the default control scheme.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Better keep Flickr alive. Use that all the time.

I hope they give an update on Near. Would suck if games like Smart As and Destiny of Spirits suddenly had unachievable trophies and missing features because the maps service is no longer supported.

Edit: Well it says gameplay isn't affected. Does this mean games that use Near for trading items (Unit 13, Ragnarok Odyssey) won't be affected?

DoS doesn't use Near or need maps.
Smart As should be fine too. Until it's servers are turned off.

Top Bottom