• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA posts $16 million loss for quarter, full year earnings drop 53%

argon

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060503/earns_electronic_arts.html?.v=2

EA reported earnings today. Stock is down 7%.. lots of Sales-Age info below:

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- Stuck in an industrywide waiting game and faced with a high tax bill, video game publisher Electronic Arts Inc. swung to a loss in its fiscal fourth quarter and issued an outlook well below Wall Street expectations on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT
The world's largest video game publisher said it lost $16 million, or 5 cents per share, for the three months ended March 31. In the year-ago period, the company posted a profit of $8 million, or 2 cents per share.

Revenue climbed to $641 million, up 16 percent from $553 million in the prior year.

Excluding certain items, the Redwood City, Calif.-based company said it would have earned $43 million, or 14 cents per share, compared to $30 million, or a 9 cents per share, a year ago. EA said the one-time charges included a repatriation tax of $375 million in foreign earnings and $59 million in acquisition costs.

On that basis, the company exceeded the expectations of 9 cents per share on revenue of $581 million from analysts polled by Thomson Financial.

For the full year, EA said it earned $236 million on revenue of $2.95 billion, compared to earnings of $504 million on revenue of $3.13 billion in the prior year.

For the current quarter ending in June, EA said it expected a loss of between 28 cents and 22 cents per share on revenue between $300 million and $340 million, taking into account an estimated 9 cents-per-share impact from stock option expenses, another 3 cents in amortization and 2 cents in restructuring charges. Analysts were projecting a loss of 19 cents on revenue of $412 million.

And for the current fiscal year, EA projected earnings excluding stock-based compensation and other one-time charges to be between 35 cents and 65 cents per share on revenue of between $2.7 billion and $2.95 billion. That's well below the analysts' earnings estimate of $1.07 per share on revenue of $3.12 billion.

Sales of video games industrywide have slowed as customers have been withholding purchases and waiting to switch to next-generation models of game consoles. In 2005, stalled purchases caused video game sales to fall 5 percent to $7 billion in the United States, according to market research firm NPD Group.

Shares of EA fell 4 cents to close at $54.50 then tumbled another $2.65, or almost 5 percent, after issuing its report.

lancubap

saruman.jpg

"EA, my lord, is ready to fall."

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
This is good news. Hopefully it'll actually encourage them to develop some decent games outside of there football titles(which are fantastic).

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Looks like everyone just bought the 360 version instead of all the other versions of the ports...

It's a sign for STOP MAKING PORTS AND EXPANSIONS EA!

Cronox

Banned
Tr4nce said:
Maybe they'll start developing QUALITY stuff now eh :D

The milking has ended!!!!!!

If anything, a loss would make them consolidate their milked franchises and rely on them even more.

Google

Someone explain to me why this is good news?

The biggest publisher in the industry loses money, and you all scream, "yay!".

You like people losing their jobs then?

Odysseus

Banned
Keep laughing, gaffers. After you're done, pause and read the article. Fact is their year over year revenue was up for the quarter and profits would have been up except for two one-time charges. Business is good.

In terms you might understand, OMG EA IZ NOT D00M3D!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Google said:

You're a junior member (so am i.... wtf am i talking about?), so lemme explain to you in a simple mathematical, geeky computer way:

EA == THE DEVIL

EA running out of bussines is the second best thing that could ever happen to the videogame industry..

With the first being SEGA coming back to the hardware bussiness...

Odysseus said:
Keep laughing, gaffers. After you're done, pause and read the article. Fact is their year over year revenue was up and profits would have been up except for two one-time charges. Business is good.

Umm can we ban this guy? He obviously is dancing on our fun.

Google

drizzle said:
You're a junior member (so am i.... wtf am i talking about?), so lemme explain to you in a simple mathematical, geeky computer way:

EA == THE DEVIL

EA running out of bussines is the second best thing that could ever happen to the videogame industry..

With the first being SEGA coming back to the hardware bussiness...

See, im not sure if you're being a dick, or being sarcastic?

A few notes:

1) Spore not coming out until next fiscal year, so not until April 2007 at the earliest

2) Superman and MOH delayed till fall. Supes will come out with the DVD, not the theatrical release.

3) EA digital download service coming, a competitor to Steam

4) Retailers building up large stocks of 360 HW in May and June timeframe and will help software sales significantly.

5) Better margins on PS3 software (point to a special deal with Sony?)

6) EA cancelled the Bond contract and didn't lose it. They want to have more internally owned IP's and less licensed games.

Scytale

Banned
Odysseus said:
Keep laughing, gaffers. After you're done, pause and read the article. Fact is their year over year revenue was up for the quarter and profits would have been up except for two one-time charges. Business is good.

Not Doomed????

Damn it!!

I thought we had them this time!! Aarrrggghhhh!! *frustration*

Odysseus said:
Current generation port, $10 more expensive, do the math. ;)

Nope. In the conference call they specifically pointed out the PS3 as opposed to the 360. In the QA session, they were pressed on the issue, but would not provide any details.

Also,

30 next-gen titles in development

6 titles sold over a million copies in the quarter (Black, Godfather, Fight Night, FIFA Street 2, NFS, Sims 2)

Twelve titles reached double-platinum status (over two million copies sold).

EA had 27 platinum titles (over one million copies sold) in fiscal 2006 as compared with 31 a year ago.

Seven titles sold more than three million copies: Need for Speed Most Wanted, Madden NFL 06, FIFA 06, The Sims 2, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire(TM), NBA Live 06 and Burnout(TM) Revenge.

Need for Speed Most Wanted was the number one title for EA.

EA released seven titles on the Xbox 360 resulting in 28 percent life-to date segment share in North America and an estimated 23 percent share in Europe.

EA extended its exclusive licenses for FIFA, Tiger Woods and Harry Potter.

EA signed an exclusive arrangement to develop games with Steven Spielberg and announced plans to bring The Simpsons to next generation consoles.

PSP not bad for EA or Midway this quarter.

PLATFORM REVENUE MIX
-- as a % of Net Revenue

Q4 Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
FY05 FY06 FY06 FY06 FY06
Sony PlayStation 2 36% 32% 45% 39% 33%
Xbox 15% 12% 20% 12% 10%
Xbox 360 - - - 6% 10%
Nintendo GameCube 7% 6% 4% 5% 3%
Other consoles - - - - -
---------------------------------------
Total Consoles 58% 50% 69% 62% 56%

PC 15% 21% 14% 12% 16%

PSP 3% 9% 7% 9% 9%
Nintendo DS 1% 3% 1% 3% 2%
Game Boy Advance 2% 2% 1% 3% 1%
Cellular Handsets - - - - 2%
---------------------------------------
Total Mobility 6% 14% 9% 15% 14%

HCgamer

Good!:D Those mofos deserve it for signing that exclusive NFL license and taking away my favorite football game the NFL 2K series.

bengraven

A future news release:

June 1, 2006 --- Citing recent losses to the sum of $16 million per quarter, EA has decided to buy up every single movie IP and major sports license on the planet in order to gain a foothold. "We really only sell sports games and games based on movies," EA spokesman Lucifer Wormwood says, "Because we're the videogame world's recycling center, we need to get an even tighter foothold." Wormwood pointed out the commercial and critical failures of most of it's original IPs "which we never created, but instead bought out the company who come up with the concept". Future film based games include The Un-Dead: Dracula 2, Monster-in-Law 2, and of course, the summer's biggest blockbuster: Snakes on a Plane. "And you can fucking guarantee our offical World Championship Bowling game will sell like hotcakes", game developer Satin Deville says.

In other news, all EA games will now cost $90. "Because you'll fucking pay that for Madden, bitches," Lucifer said right before eating a soul of the damned.

Trurl

Banned
Google said:

Exactly. I find it a little disturbing anyone would want EA to be "doomed."

bengraven

Trurl said:
Exactly. I find it a little disturbing anyone would want EA to be "doomed."

Maybe people who don't play sports games don't care about EA. I mean, the only EA game I've bought in five years was Most Wanted, simply out of boredom.

I BLAME EA TRAX! (no, not really)

Chi-Town

sonycowboy said:
2) Superman and MOH delayed till fall. Supes will come out with the DVD, not the theatrical release.

For clarification, MOH has been delayed til Jan-March 2007(it was originally due in the fall.)

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
This stuff is epic. The world's largest publisher is seriously struggling. What does that say about the industry at this very moment?

Kapsama

Karma is truly a bitch. :)

And why would I care about EA employees losing their jobs? They're part of the Evil Empire.:lol

joshschw

sonycowboy said:
Nope. In the conference call they specifically pointed out the PS3 as opposed to the 360. In the QA session, they were pressed on the issue, but would not provide any details.

Obviously $80 PS3 games. Use your head

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
I'm also amazed at the Superman thing - but not surprised. Reports were that they had stopped showing the game to many people as it was so bad.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Hopefully they start making more better games then the cráp they release now...:)

It was always bound to catch up with them...can't say I'm surprised. And with the Wii...soon EA will be less powerful as Nintendo seem to be wanting to give back more power to idea's then the $$$. Which means publishers will suffer...Idea's to rise above $$$!!!

Top Bottom