• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA posts $16 million loss for quarter, full year earnings drop 53%

Mrbob

Mr Mike said:
This stuff is epic. The world's largest publisher is seriously struggling. What does that say about the industry at this very moment?

?

It is a transition period at the moment.

I don't get the EA hate. They are one of the few companies completely investing into next gen at the moment.

ElyrionX

Odysseus said:
Keep laughing, gaffers. After you're done, pause and read the article. Fact is their year over year revenue was up for the quarter and profits would have been up except for two one-time charges. Business is good.

In terms you might understand, OMG EA IZ NOT D00M3D!

QFT.

I think EA is merely engaging in some earnings management.

Contrary to what most of you are thinking, year-on-year revenue is actually up a healthy 16% while the bottom line have gone into the red which isn't really logical at all. EA has probably chosen this particular quarter to take a "big bath" which would boost their future profits.

EDIT: :lol at some of the reactions in the thread. C'mon people, EA is NOT struggling. The reason for the loss in this report is merely due to some accounting technique.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Mr Mike said:
This stuff is epic. The world's largest publisher is seriously struggling. What does that say about the industry at this very moment?

Yeah, can't see why people on a videogame board would praise the perception of the industry leader having financial troubles. Just for people that don't understand, if the industry leader is having problems, that is a sign that the entire industry is screwed and we would be heading for another bust. Sometimes the ignorance here is amazing.

But EA is not having any troubles, thank goodness. Because the day EA does have serious issues, most other publishers will be out of business.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Google said:
Someone explain to me why this is good news?

The biggest publisher in the industry loses money, and you all scream, "yay!".

You like people losing their jobs then?

The ones with talent will get new jobs.

I'm not concerned about the massive conglomerates who swallow smaller companies to make more money, I'm concerned for those who were swallowed and those evading being swallowed.

EA will most likely take the most beating, but will take a massive beating before any industry crisis. However the smaller companies are going to have serious trouble next-gen, a gen where you have to have millions behind each game in order to get it to sell, only to not make a profit because of how much it cost to make it.

sonycowboy said:
Nope. In the conference call they specifically pointed out the PS3 as opposed to the 360. In the QA session, they were pressed on the issue, but would not provide any details.

PS3 Madden = Target Renders
Sabotage 360 Mission Completed on all fronts.

Juice

What we'll see this generation is higher revenue, lower profit (or negative profit) for all of the publishing companies.

That's just what happens when R&D balloons at a faster than linear rate.

So anyone trying to spin this as a good thing for EA is out of their fucking minds. They'll adjust to this generation eventually and things will equalize, but they WILL release fewer games this gen and the WILL take longer to bring their profit margins back up.

The industry isn't fucked, but it's hardly indestructible. And the fact that R&D is going up at geometric and exponential rates generation-on-generation means that you're going to need a lot more than raising game prices $10... you're going to need a much bigger audience. And that isn't going to happen.

As usual, this is "Wii aside," which if successful will make a lot of people a lot of really easy money.

Top Bottom