• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One - "You need this update to use your console, but something went wrong"

Are you fucking kidding me Microsoft? Starting from about an hour ago I turn on my console and get this message, it goes to the black update screen and I can't do anything. Can't play any of my games, even offline. Why the fuck would you put out an update when your service is having issues?

mboojigga

Have you tried doing a hard reboot of your system. I just turned my system off in my Living room and my bedroom XB1 is online streaming Hulu now.

Purest 78

And Sony went the always offline route.

Xbox live Status has more live problems at the moment. That's The 3rd time in less than 5 days. Those jokes could have worked last gen not so much this gen. I don't know what MS did, but live isn't reliable on x1 as it was on 360.

Bgamer90

Banned
Seen a few other say they had this same issue earlier. Hopefully it isn't widespread.

I assume that MS will send a quick fix for people experiencing this problem.

The service alert is for GTA 5 multiplayer so I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Must be an error with the update itself, hopefully fixed soon.

Did you try complete unplugging the console from the power brick and the power brick from the outlet? Not sure it'll help but probably worth trying.

liquidtmd

Banned
I guess matty2Dfraud has gone for the always offl...nope, I best not.

Judging from Twitter and social trending it doesn't appear widespread. Call support if lasts more than an hour.

MrBenchmark

What is this update for?

A new system update is available to all Preview members beginning at 6PM PST on 2/02. This update contains fixes for two issues previously reported by the Preview community.

HOW TO GET IT
◾If your console is in Instant-On mode, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.
◾NOTE: Once the update is available, you can manually begin the update by navigating to Settings > System and selecting System Update.
◾If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00AM PST 02/04/2015, you will be prompted to do so at that time.

DETAILS

OS version released: xb_rel_1502.150130-2200
Available: 6:00PM PT 2/2 (2AM GMT 2/3)

FIXES
◾A fix for an issue some users reported where Geometry Wars 3 crashed on launch
◾A fix for an issue reported by users where when resuming from standby, the dashboard does not fully load, showing a spinner instead

KNOWN ISSUES
◾Please report any issues you encounter via the Feedback app on your console!

Hopefully those with issues are posting in the preview forum not just here I updated earlier tonight zero issues.

A new system update is available to all Preview members beginning at 6PM PST on 2/02. This update contains fixes for two issues previously reported by the Preview community.

HOW TO GET IT
◾If your console is in Instant-On mode, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.
◾NOTE: Once the update is available, you can manually begin the update by navigating to Settings > System and selecting System Update.
◾If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00AM PST 02/04/2015, you will be prompted to do so at that time.

DETAILS

OS version released: xb_rel_1502.150130-2200
Available: 6:00PM PT 2/2 (2AM GMT 2/3)

FIXES
◾A fix for an issue some users reported where Geometry Wars 3 crashed on launch
◾A fix for an issue reported by users where when resuming from standby, the dashboard does not fully load, showing a spinner instead

KNOWN ISSUES
◾Please report any issues you encounter via the Feedback app on your console!

Hopefully those with issues are posting in the preview forum not just here I updated earlier tonight zero issues.

Thanks. This is one of the reasons I have not joined the preview update. It's essentially a beta for the actual thing, to many stupid bugs I've seen.

MrBenchmark

Thanks. This is one of the reasons I have not joined the preview update. It's essentially a beta for the actual thing, to many stupid bugs I've seen.

Yes its a beta if you are uncomfortable with that then it is definitely not for you. I been in every beta for Xbox since the NXE on 360 I've never had a issue that ruined my consoles. The support staff is very good in the preview forums those in the preview use them.

This is voluntary testing and if you want you can always opt out.

Yes its a beta if you are uncomfortable with that then it is definitely not for you. I been in every beta for Xbox since the NXE on 360 I've never had a issue that ruined my consoles. The support staff is very good in the preview forums those in the preview use them.

This is voluntary testing and if you want you can always opt out.

I second this. Their support staff for the Xbox One betas is top notch.

I remember a beta build that got pushed that accidentally caused video coming through HDMI IN to stutter. People posted about it in the forums and within 12 hours, we had a patch for the build that fixed it.

Excellent support for a beta.

Game Guru

Eeesh! Ahem...

I do wish our fellow gamers luck in finding out how to solve their update issue with their Xbox Ones.

Orca

Got back in - tell it to switch to offline. Forgot my network and reconnected. It showed Open NAT again, did multiplayer test and then went back to dash. Showed me connected and the update was complete.

MrBenchmark

Got me too. There's an Xbox Live status advisory current up.

Gotta read what the alert is for man!
Are you experiencing issues when Matchmaking in Grand Theft Auto V? Don't worry, this is due to maintenance being performed by our partner. We appreciate your patience during this time. An update will be provided as soon as this work is complete

Yeah I'm getting this as well, but I'm able to get by it fairly simply. Skip & offline, then select the connect to Xbox tile, then select go online.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This happened to me once in the middle of a titanfall match, I was so aggravated that I stopped playing for a fortnight.

Same issue for me - downloaded and installed the update and got the message in the Op. I scrolled down in the options list to go offline and came to the dash. Selected "Connect to Xbox Live" which reenabled online connectivity. It told me that there was an issue with live services but everything is working now.

MrBenchmark

Same issue for me - downloaded and installed the update and got the message in the Op. I scrolled down in the options list to go offline and came to the dash. Selected "Connect to Xbox Live" which reenabled online connectivity. It told me that there was an issue with live services but everything is working now.

Yeah the system lists any service issue but currently that issue is this

Are you experiencing issues when Matchmaking in Grand Theft Auto V? Don't worry, this is due to maintenance being performed by our partner. We appreciate your patience during this time. An update will be provided as soon as this work is complete

So unless your playing gta V it isn't important.

Always try shutting completely down if an issue occurs and then go thru other troubleshooting methods clear persistent storage etc. And definitely post these issues in the preview forums .

Head.spawn

I would assume he is there is not any other system updates being pushed out yet.

If that's definitely the case, then it just seems like the preview program isn't for him then, maybe he should opt out. If you are easily upset about bugs relating to the program; maybe you shouldn't be beta testing firmware/OS updates? This shit happens, you could run into far worse problems, though it's incredibly rare.

He should be posting this in the preview forums, so they are aware and can locate the issue, release a fix.

stevivor

Yeah the system lists any service issue but currently that issue is this

So unless your playing gta V it isn't important.

Always try shutting completely down if an issue occurs and then go thru other troubleshooting methods clear persistent storage etc. And definitely post these issues in the preview forums .

To the OP's credit, you can "Check Network" when you get the error, and the Xbox itself says MS is encountering issues that may affect the update...

I joined the preview group ages ago but never get anything pushed to me, am I supposed to download a separate app? I'll be honest, the One confuses me something rotten at times.

It's the preview update. Bascially what Microsoft does is roll out updates to the preview group. Once they believe the last one is suitable for the public the last preview update is rolled out to regular users.

When someone joins the preview they get an Xbox Live Message with a key allowing them to download the Xbox Preview Dashboard. You can then register/unregister your console to receive preview updates using that App.

If you have not received the message but are part of the preview you should perhaps contact the preview support in Microsoft's preview forum. If you can't access that than perhaps someone invited you to join but it didn't go through at Microsoft.

link1201

I joined the preview group ages ago but never get anything pushed to me, am I supposed to download a separate app? I'll be honest, the One confuses me something rotten at times.

Yes, you should have the preview app so you can register your console. You should be able to find it in your games and apps and downlaod it if you are in the program. Once you have the app you'll want to go to registration on the app.

OT: This is a risk we take being in the preview. It's a pain sometimes but for me having stuff to try out early it is worth it.

Anytime i have an issue with the Preview program, i always usually end up in the preview support forums to voice the concern and see if others are experiencing the problem. Those preview moderators are always helpful in suggesting solutions or information pretty quickly.

Sucks this happened to you! I hope i don't come home to this. *Knocks on wood*

Top Bottom