• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One - "You need this update to use your console, but something went wrong"

Noobcraft

The good thing about the preview program is it extends your console warranty indefinitely as long as the issue is related to the preview program (like it is here). Worst case is you have to send it in.

Remf

OT: This is a risk we take being in the preview. It's a pain sometimes but for me having stuff to try out early it is worth it.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I haven't signed up for it yet. Lol, I'll let you all be the guinie pigs for these things so you can work out the kinks for us regular folks. =)

I joined the preview group ages ago but never get anything pushed to me, am I supposed to download a separate app? I'll be honest, the One confuses me something rotten at times.

It's probably downloading the updates overnight while you're asleep. Even non-preview members get an update every month, so if you've never noticed it then it's probably doing it in the background.

The good thing about the preview program is it extends your console warranty indefinitely as long as the issue is related to the preview program (like it is here). Worst case is you have to send it in.

Yeah, happened to me once. Can't complain - had an 'advance return' so was only without console for a few days.

watership

Thanks. This is one of the reasons I have not joined the preview update. It's essentially a beta for the actual thing, to many stupid bugs I've seen.

That's exactly what it is. They explain that you may get unstable code and bugs and by participating you risk these issues.

Hey Microsoft, thanks for kicking me out of my Fifa Pro Clubs online game with friends to force me to do an update only to then have the update fail.

mcrommert

Banned
Hey Microsoft, thanks for kicking me out of my Fifa Pro Clubs online game with friends to force me to do an update only to then have the update fail.

I really appreciate that, fucking idiots.

I don't get this. You signed up for beta updates. You know what that entails. Or at least you should. If you want a stable xbox one do not participate in the xbox one preview program. Simple

I don't get this. You signed up for beta updates. You know what that entails. Or at least you should. If you want a stable xbox one do not participate in the xbox one preview program. Simple

My console was set to instant on all night, they chose to kick me out of my game mid-way through and they decide to do the update after I've started playing (and as a side note I checked and it had actually installed the update already) so yeh, I feel like I'm entitled to be a bit annoyed.

I have no problem with the preview, but Xbox One does this outside of the preview too for previous updates.

watership

I really appreciate that, fucking idiots.

I'm getting the same error. This is the beta program, and has been and will be bugs. Calling them idiots when you volunteered to be part of a beta seems a little odd.

I'm getting the same error. This is the beta program, and has been and will be bugs. Calling them idiots when you volunteered to be part of a beta seems a little odd.

Forcing people to update isn't a beta thing though its not a bug, it does it outside of that. As I said, my console had already updated to the latest version because I checked, when I rebooted, it did a standard reboot and then worked.

watership

Forcing people to update isn't a beta thing though its not a bug, it does it outside of that. As I said, my console had already updated to the latest version because I checked, when I rebooted, it did a standard reboot and then worked.

Same for me. It's now working with the right update.

Didn't the 360 force updates too though? and if you didn't want it, you have to stay offline?

It's not a preview program problem, it's a system problem. It's stupid it can't wait for you to close the application you are playing before it forces you to update. If you are online it cause you to lose that game and then if you have not saved for a while and it comes up you lose that progress. It's fucking stupid.

Select "Turn off Xbox" where it keeps saying the update fails and then turn back on your console. This worked for me.

EDIT: To check and see if you have the update, go to Settings, System, Console Info, and the OS version should have the numbers 1502.150130-2200 in parentheses.

Orca

Turned on the Xbox this morning and it was fine. Checked something on DA:I and went to work. My two year old was playing Skylanders when it popped up again - he figured out to 'skip and stay offline' on his own lol

Thank you.

There is always a risk participating in betas like this. That's the whole point of them. You shouldn't sign up for it if you can't handle the odd bug or fuck up along the way. That goes for IOS betas, OSX betas, Windows. Whatever.

OP sounds like he didn't know what he was signing up for, and that is their own fault. I don't sympathise with your problem in the slightest, and coming on GAF to whine about it is ridiculous.

watership

Looks like a full reboot doesn't complete fix it. Even though I have the newest firmware, If I stay on-line, I get a "Time to update.. Can't update error" Only way to keep playing someone is to stay offline.

Official forum is full of people reporting this error, hopefully MS will fix it soon.

Genio88

i'm in the preview progam, but fortunately i've got my console in energy saving mode, please keep this thread up to date and tell us when it's safe to update

Peterpan

The Xbox One is far from stable when it comes to updates and installing. Hard reboots are common when getting updates or installing things, sometimes having to hard reboot and take the disc out to install it's annoying. All I want is to play games and at times it feel like I have to jump through loop holes to play them.

MrBenchmark

Looks like a full reboot doesn't complete fix it. Even though I have the newest firmware, If I stay on-line, I get a "Time to update.. Can't update error" Only way to keep playing someone is to stay offline.

Official forum is full of people reporting this error, hopefully MS will fix it soon.

Yeah I got the update last night everything was fine woke up today and while playing destiny raid it kicked me out say there was a update. Go offline then back online fixes it , it seems for a while team is aware so hopefully we will have a fix today.

From the team
"Hi All,

We have had several reports of this behavior, and I have gone ahead and passed this information along to the developers for investigation. If you have not done so already, please be sure to use the Feedback app to submit this issue, as it will provide valuable console information the developers can use to investigate this issue.

Also, if possible, please do indeed attempt a hard reset of the console and see if the behavior persists.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to provide feedback and for your participation in the Preview.

~IAmNotAToaster"

MrBenchmark

Its fixed

From Miss Portia
"Hi all, thanks for your patience. We've tracked this down to a stale cache on one of our servers hosting the update, which has since been cleared. Can you please try taking the update again over the next 30 minutes, and let us know if you continue to encounter issues? Thanks!"

MrBenchmark

So guys is it safe to upadate now?

Yes in fact there was another update last night
DETAILS

OS version released: xb_rel_1502.150202-2200
Available: 6:00PM PT 2/3 (2AM GMT 2/4)

FIXES
◾A fix to address an issue where if the party app experiences a crash in certain situations, the party session is terminated.
◾The Party app will no longer only show an “X” icon for users entering a party on the same console as another user already connected.
◾Several users may have experienced an issue last night/this morning where they received a “There was a problem with the update” error. This has been resolved.

KNOWN ISSUES
◾Please report any issues you encounter via the Feedback app on your console!

Sorry to bump, but I am still having this exact problem.

"There was a problem with the update. You need this update to use your console, but something went wrong."

Have tried a hard reset, going offline and initiating the update through the dashboard, etc. The connection test turns out fine.

Current OS version is 1502.150124.2200 and I am in the preview program for what its worth.

MrBenchmark

Sorry to bump, but I am still having this exact problem.

"There was a problem with the update. You need this update to use your console, but something went wrong."

Have tried a hard reset, going offline and initiating the update through the dashboard, etc. The connection test turns out fine.

Current OS version is 1502.150124.2200 and I am in the preview program for what its worth.

Clean persistent storage and full reboot again

The latest update is for everyone so it should be safe, any errors might be from rolling from a test build to the final one, hopefully not.

Top Bottom