• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade coming to New 3DS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpsCDkM7OMo

Confirmed at around 2:55 mark.

They say that the restyle has now "enough power" for all the tables and that they hope to deliver it this year. This sounds like the second official exclusive for New 3DS, right?

I expect a lot of jokes about how the 3DS barely meets the power requirements to run a pinball game.

In all actuality, they have very high standards for running their pinball sims.

Oregano

It begins. This is good though because it shows that third parties can make exclusive (download?) games too.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I wonder what the games/OS CPU split is on the n3DS. IIRC, on the 3DS it used to be one core for games, one for OS, with a portion vacated to games. Now it could be 3 cores for games, one for OS, I guess?

I love pinball and think PA plays well for the most part, but the annoying bugs and other issues that hamper their games across nearly every platform and arent addressed for months if at all make it hard to really fully root for them. To see them just keep adding more platforms just makes me shake my head.

Oregano

I wonder what the games/OS CPU split is on the n3DS. IIRC, on the 3DS it used to be one core for games, one for OS, with a portion vacated to games. Now it could be 3 cores for games, one for OS, I guess?

I imagine some resources go to the headtracking as well. Really not sure what resources that would take up.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I imagine some resources go to the headtracking as well. Really not sure what resources that would take up.
Totally forgot about that.

Well, with 4 cores they can still keep one core entirely dedicated to OS. But I think it safe to say that n3DS has at least 2 cores dedicated to games.

M3d10n

I think it's more about the RAM than the cores. N3DS games have 128MBs of RAM available for them, compared to the 64MBs of the original 3DS (that old 96MB screenshot was a dev mode). That's if Nintendo kept the 50/50 RAM split (which they probably did since the browser runs much better on the N3DS). That also might be enough to get Unity3D running.

Oregano

Totally forgot about that.

Well, with 4 cores they can still keep one core entirely dedicated to OS. But I think it safe to say that n3DS has at least 2 cores dedicated to games.

Yeah, that is still double the cores. I hope developers actually take advantage of it, even if its just some games running better.

I think it's more about the RAM than the cores. N3DS games have 128MBs of RAM available for them, compared to the 64MBs of the original 3DS (that old 96MB screenshot was a dev mode). That's if Nintendo kept the 50/50 RAM split (which they probably did since the browser runs much better on the N3DS). That also might be enough to get Unity3D running.

Nintendo peeps did say they wanted to make Unity 3DS compatible if possible. I wonder if we'll hear anything at GDC. I think Nintendo Web Framework is somewhat likely.

Top Bottom