• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Alien Isolation. Ripley gonna need bengay for all this crouching.

MormaPope

Banned
tumblr_momntp6a1n1ru4uu8o1_400.gif

So I'm at Mission/Chapter 5 and I'm having a blast. Watching gameplay, it seemed that Alien Isolation was a glorified fetch quest where you die really easily. While there is a ton of fetching, the journey and what you experience is extremely varied and always enthralling.

Visually the game is amazing, technical stuff is aight, but its all the objects and stuff in the world itself. Feels like you're running around on a legit space station instead of a giant steel coffin. Sometimes rooms and such seem unrealsitcially dark, but that's nitpicking, the darkness itself sets the mood. The soundtrack is excellent, waiting for a travel tram to arrive while the music ramps up and nothing is actually happening is one of the most tense moments I've ever experienced with videogames.

Gameplay wise, it always feels like the Alien is stalking you and it decides when it wants to stop toying with you, which is the most important aspect to nail in a horror game like this. Fear and anxiety get compounded when humans or droids are also in your way, things feel unpredictable constantly. Sprinting feels like a high risk move instead of feeling like the main way to traverse the game world, running towards an elevator or tram is a fight or flight scenario in any other game wouldn't matter.

The combat and crafting are functional and aren't bad, which is fine for a stealth survival horror title.

So yeah, I thought Gaf hyped this up way too much and that I'd be disappointed when I played it, but it turns out I really dig what Creative Assembly did for a Alien game.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm also lttp though not as far as you (hunt only just started). The atmosphere is really well done, wow. But after dying a number of times in a row at some bullshit section where you had to redo large parts, I put it on easy and not sure I'll put it back.

MormaPope

Banned
I'm also lttp though not as far as you (hunt only just started). The atmosphere is really well done, wow. But after dying a number of times in a row at some bullshit section where you had to redo large parts, I put it on easy and not sure I'll put it back.

I died twice, one was I got scooped into a vent and then right away noticed the Alien drools at its current location. The other was I quickly hacked a door, turned around, and the Alien was standing right behind me, staring, and then sprinted at me after a few seconds.

I feel the save points are generously placed. The sections where you do have to do a bunch of shit without dying does add to the tension, design wise the game is really solid.

GothPunk

I finished the game on hard recently and went straight back and started a new game as soon as I was done - I can't give it higher praise than that.

OP, I would say you're at or coming up to the part where 'The real Alien Isolation starts here'.

I played the game in the dark with 5.1 surround headphones - the best way to play! The sound design in the game is just exquisite and the positional audio is so good that it actually makes the game a bit easier as you can tell if the xenomorph is above or below you.

I had some absolutely amazing scares playing this game - with one being the biggest and most memorable scare I've ever had in a game, and it was not a scripted 'Boo!' moment.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with you 100%. I just finished it and it's a phenomenal game, even if it dragged on for a bit too long and the Alien AI's randomness could sometimes be frustrating. It was still one of the best games of 2014 for me, and I'm a bit sad to see it was somewhat overlooked.

JoduanER2

I didnt like it at all, felt very repetitive and the story went nowhere. Hide, activate this, hide again, plus 30fps on consoles really hurt the experience for this game I discovered. In the 15 hours or more it takes there is almost no twists in the story... boring as hell, i wouldnt care if the gameplay was more diverse, but I got say I agree with the gamespot and IGN reviews completely minus the difficulty part, It wasnt hard at all.

spekkeh

Banned
I died twice, one was I got scooped into a vent and then right away noticed the Alien drools at its current location. The other was I quickly hacked a door, turned around, and the Alien was standing right behind me, staring, and then sprinted at me after a few seconds.

I feel the save points are generously placed. The sections where you do have to do a bunch of shit without dying does add to the tension, design wise the game is really solid.
I died six times in a row where you had to sneak around the other people when you first get the hacking kit. Every time I was almost there someone started shooting me in the back, and this game has seriously little room for legging it or otherwise improvisation.

The save point spacing I get when I was younger (like in Resident Evil). As a parent with a busy job, liberal saving is simply a usability factor for me now. I know what they're trying to achieve, but I still see it as a minus.

TM94

Abandoned it shortly after starting chapter 17.

I just couldn't get past a certain section and lost all motivation to keep going.

Enjoyed it overall, which is weird because I don't like survival horror.

Really needed to be 'edited' though, and in that I mean cut out the chapters that did little more than pad out the length of the game.

GothPunk

I didnt like it at all, felt very repetitive and the story went nowhere. Hide, activate this, hide again, plus 30fps on consoles really hurt the experience for this game I discovered. In the 15 hours or more it takes there is almost no twists in the story... boring as hell, i wouldnt care if the gameplay was more diverse, but I got say I agree with the gamespot and IGN reviews completely minus the difficulty part, It wasnt hard at all.
If you were hiding a lot, you were playing it wrong. The loading screen tips even tell you this, keep moving!

So OP, not sure what your play style is but don't be tempted to hide in lockers for long periods, keep moving! You're much better off moving while keeping the Alien at a distance, and using craftables if you get into a bind.

Saying the game has no twists when it is filled with reveals regarding the history of the station, how the Alien got on the ship etc seems unfair to the game, but I must admit I'm a huge Alien fan so I felt like I was served well by this game, including it's story. The Nostromo logs that you can find with new voiceover from the original cast being a great example.

I just can't agree that the game is repetitive when the Alien reacts differently each time you load up after a death. There are many chances for 'emergent' gameplay also with how, if you're clever, you can use the Alien as a weapon against other foes...
Abandoned it shortly after starting chapter 17.

I just couldn't get past a certain section and lost all motivation to keep going.
But you're so close to the end! Where did you get stuck exactly?

bargeparty

While I do think there is a "twist" in the game, not everything has to be all m night shyamalananaian.

I remember once running through a section where I didn't the Alien was, I was wrong.

TM94

But you're so close to the end! Where did you get stuck exactly?

It was pretty much right at the chapter, start called the transit car, got on it and kept getting killed by the alien or
one of them anyway
as I stepped off it.

I think if I was really in the mood to keep going I could have got past it ,but I really did lose all motivation to keep playing.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It was pretty much right at the chapter, start called the transit car, got on it and kept getting killed by the alien or
one of them anyway
as I stepped off it.

I think if I was really in the mood to keep going I could have got past it ,but I really did lose all motivation to keep playing.

Are you using your equipment to distract him? A noisemaker buys you plenty of time, a flare works quite well too. Also make liberal use of the save station thats in the room.

Meneses

Started playing it this week as well and I am enjoying it a lot.

The atmosphere is great and playing at night with headphones on is super tense.

DieH@rd

Banned
I finished it recently, and I absolutely loved how hard and punishing the game was. I'm so happy we got this AAA survival horror game that totally respected the Alien franchise. Technically it looked, sounded and felt AMAZING from start to end, I really can't praise it enough. Campaign was maybe little too long, but I enjoyed the whole journey from start to the end.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I finished it recently, and I absolutely loved how hard and punishing the game was. I'm so happy we got this AAA survival horror game that totally respected the Alien franchise. Technically it looked, sounded and felt AMAZING from start to end, I really can't praise it enough. Campaign was maybe little too long, but I enjoyed the whole journey from start to the end.

It was absolutely fantastic.

The game is so immersive, it's fantastic.

I realised the other day that it's an ideal game to play spontaneously for short periods (because of said immersion).

Im enjoying my very very slow playthrough.

Waiting for the trams....especially the first few times, HOLY SHIT, so stressful.

Also you are truly never safe in that game. Just for shitz and giggles, I pulled out the pistol and fired a few rounds in a section that I thought was a "safe zone" the Alien dropped down after a few seconds,chased me into an elevator, and killed me right before I hit the button.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Bought this, Evil Within, Metro Redux, and FC4 over Xmas for 50% off each during digital sales and I still haven't touched any of them.

Hell, I am still pushing (slowly) through Dragon Age Inquisition. It's a miracle I actually platinum-ed Mordor last year. I need more time for games.

Withnail

I really enjoyed this game. I devoured it in the space of a few days over Christmas. Keep thinking about going back to it too.

If there's a sequel I'm there day 1.

Neiteio

The game makes you realize the xenomorph is easily one of the best creature designs ever, and that deep space is one of the most terrifying settings ever.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I bought this game at the beginning of this month and tore through it in about a week. Great atmosphere, a few spikes in difficulty but a wonderful ride overall. If you love Alien you should buy this game - it's probably the best Alien game we'll ever get. (and yes I've played Infestation and AvP classic)

EGM1966

Fucking love this game. Nothing more to say really. Just love it. And that mean insta death Alien is terrific. The welcome return of a horrific old friend badly treated for many years in films and games that didn't do its fearsome originality justice.

The game makes you realize the xenomorph is easily one of the best creature designs ever, and that deep space is one of the most terrifying settings ever.

Fucking love this game. Nothing more to say really. Just love it. And that mean insta death Alien is terrific. The welcome return of a horrific old friend badly treated for many years in films and games that didn't do its fearsome originality justice.

Agree with you both.

SURGEdude

Such an unexpected surprise. Loved every moment of it. Really hope it gets a sequel. As a bonus it runs like a fucking dream on PC.

I'm trying to play it right now. I beat the first couple chapters...that tram scene you are referring to is indeed amazing.

However I seem to get stuck quite frequently and wander around in circles trying to find out what to do next. It's very frustrating. I first got stuck when I had to power up the door at the computer, after wandering around the area I eventually figure it out. The next area I got stuck at was where you had to go in the floor in that cafeteria... There is no indication or anything that you can open a hatch in the floor... I wandered around for almost 30 minutes trying to figure out how to proceed. I'm on chapter 3 now... Buddy just got murdered by the alien and now I seem to be stuck again...

I'm getting frustrated. I love the graphics, sound, story seems really cool but I'm having a hard time progressing because of all these things. I haven't even got to really experience the alien/stealth experience and I'm already ready to quit.

Am I the only one with this problem? And does it get easier to figure your way around once you learn what sort of things you can and cannot interact with in the world?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to play it right now. I beat the first couple chapters...that tram scene you are referring to is indeed amazing.

However I seem to get stuck quite frequently and wander around in circles trying to find out what to do next. It's very frustrating. I first got stuck when I had to power up the door at the computer, after wandering around the area I eventually figure it out. The next area I got stuck at was where you had to go in the floor in that cafeteria... There is no indication or anything that you can open a hatch in the floor... I wandered around for almost 30 minutes trying to figure out how to proceed. I'm on chapter 3 now... Buddy just got murdered by the alien and now I seem to be stuck again...

I'm getting frustrated. I love the graphics, sound, story seems really cool but I'm having a hard time progressing because of all these things. I haven't even got to really experience the alien/stealth experience and I'm already ready to quit.

Am I the only one with this problem? And does it get easier to figure your way around once you learn what sort of things you can and cannot interact with in the world?

If you're playing on difficulties other than nightmare, then the map provides a clear indicator as to where you must go next.

Metal-Geo

A welcoming surprise. Had the visuals, the sound and the tensity. Sadly felt a bit padded at certain moments. Also experienced a bit too many AI bugs during my playthrough. But I can only applaud the developers for treating the Alien franchise with love and care it deserved. Bravo.

PooBone

It's a great game, amazing game if you're an Alien fan, and a fantabulous game if you're a horror game fan and an Alien fan.

alienator

Its a terrifying game, im only still at chapter 6, and playing it in reall small bursts a few times a week.. in the dark, on my ps4 with a headset on, i get sweaty handpalms after 5 minutes, my heartbeat raises at every noise.

At one session i spent 15 minutes in a locker because i didnt had the guts to get out and continue exploring the game.

And normally im a real tough hardcore guy not afraid at anything, i juggle chainsaws while being blindfolded and i do bungeejumping without a cord just for kicks.

I really need to stop reading Alien Isolation threads. I keep stumbling upon spoilers even though people are trying to be vague...

I'm only on Chapter 12.

Are you using your equipment to distract him? A noisemaker buys you plenty of time, a flare works quite well too. Also make liberal use of the save station thats in the room.

Am I the only one who never used the distraction tools? I botched like 1 or two throws with noisemakers and never bothered with them again throughout the game.

Neiteio

Use your map — it has icons telling you where to go. And you're getting close to the point where you get the motion tracker, which has arrows pointing you in the right direction.

Favorite game of 2014.
And I HATE survival horror.

The atmosphere was amazing.

Crafting a noisemaker to throw at the feet of a buncha Weyland-Yutani workers, just to see the Xeno drop down and devour them was one of the most satisfying things of 2014 for me.

My personal GOTY for 2014. Some pacing issues and those ridiculous moments in 5 and 12(?) where the A.I. gets supercharged and glued to you, but incredible game and more than what I was expecting.

Neiteio

Favorite game of 2014.
And I HATE survival horror.

The atmosphere was amazing.
You probably don't hate survival horror. You probably hate the shitty controls that plague most survival horror games. Now you've played one with excellent controls (Alien: Isolation), and you realize how enjoyable the genre can be. :)

You probably don't hate survival horror. You probably hate the shitty controls that plague most survival horror games. Now you've played one with excellent controls (Alien: Isolation), and you realize how enjoyable the genre can be. :)

That could be it. I actually like tension and atmosphere a lot.
I just hate jump scares...

Alien Isolation did everything right for me - regardless of genre.
I just hope more companies take a look at how it can be done differently than just jump scares. And yeah - the controls/perspective helped a TON.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Shamelessly edited cross-post:

Alien: Isolation is fantastic so far. I'm up to Ch. 10 or 11, I think. I stalled a while back but restarted it again recently on Hard. It's really clicked. It's probably the purest stealth game I've played in a long while. Ripley is incredibly fragile, whilst offensive options are kept minimal and are an absolute chore to engage in, just as a stealth game should be, IMO.

I'm in awe of how CA managed to convert such a slow film into such a compelling, stressful and exhilarating game.

Little things:

In the film, we only really see snippets of the Alien which helps add to the tension and xeno's mystique. Here, that's kind of how the gameplay works; seeing the Xeno in full glory can often be a death sentence, so rather you snatch glimpses as it stalks you.

How everything about the Working Joe's just slots into the Alien universe so flawlessly.

How the story doesn't treat its audience like complete idiots. Story spoiler:
Samuel's syntheticness is revealed so matter-of-factly because, really, it was obvious from the get-go to anyone whose seen the films.

Little touches to the gameplay. Gameplay spoiler:
Holding up the flamethrower makes the Alien flinch and stay out of range.

Apparently it overstays its welcome, but I haven't had that yet. It's been a really engaging ride so far.

All in all, a very good game that should only be played in wide open spaces, with a good amount of daylight, and a huge group of close friends.

jtar86

I bought it a couple of weeks ago on sale and I'm liking it so far much more than I thought I would have. They definitely nailed the look and atmosphere of the films.

Neff

Brilliant game, but way too much Alien. When he's not around, it's terrifying, because he might appear. Fear of the unknown is the strongest fear of all. When he does appear, the fear reaches its peak (that
slow emerge from the ceiling vent in the hospital
... fuck), but quickly subsides because he just doesn't let up and becomes a nuisance. The best part of the game for me was
after you jettison him into space from the airlock, and you have that sustained Alien-free period where you're thinking to yourself "Well that can't be it, the game will find a way to bring him back somehow, and it'll be spectacular when it does." And it is. And that period while he's not around is unbearably tense, because the inevitable wait for him to return goes on and on and on.
I think cutting down the Alien appearances by 50% or possibly more would have resulted in an exponentially better game and possibly one of the best horror games ever made.

Still, brilliant game all the same.

Flipyap

Apparently it overstays its welcome, but I haven't had that yet. It's been a really engaging ride so far.
I, for one, wouldn't mind if it went on for a dozen more hours, because it's most likely the only time we'll see a proper Alien game in this lifetime.
When the game ended, I just wanted to keep playing. Sadly, the survivor mode just doesn't do it for me.

Am I the only one who never used the distraction tools? I botched like 1 or two throws with noisemakers and never bothered with them again throughout the game.

I think about 60% of my noisemakers end up bouncing off the crate directly in front of me and landing at my feet. Even if it looks like I have enough space to throw.

Neiteio

I played through on Hard, and it never overstayed its welcome for me.

I can't think of anything I'd change about the game. It's close to perfect.

Flipyap

I played through on Hard, and it never overstayed its welcome for me.

I can't think of anything I'd change about the game. It's close to perfect.
I'd change some interface stuff and the frequency of Alien encounters, but cutting out parts as people often suggest? I wouldn't even know where to begin. Start trimming for length and you risk messing up the pacing in the opposite direction - you'd start moving too fast from one movie reference setpiece to another, or even begin to lose scenarios which the devs wanted to explore, and it's not like they could just leave anything for a sequel.

Neiteio

I'd change some interface stuff and the frequency of Alien encounters, but cutting out parts as people often suggest? I wouldn't even know where to begin. Start trimming for length and you risk messing up the pacing in the opposite direction - you'd start moving too fast from one movie reference setpiece to another, or even begin to lose scenarios which the devs wanted to explore, and it's not like they could just leave anything for a sequel.
I definitely wouldn't cut anything. Nothing felt like filler to me. Even when you're on a "fetch quest," it never feels like one since the encounters are varied and the pacing is brisk.

Top Bottom