• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My new addiction: Fishing in MAJORA'S MASK 3D

Neiteio

UPDATE: Fishing is not required for Pieces of Heart, etc. It just fills out your fishing catalog with a 3D model for each species. There are 24 species in all. Filling out your catalog is the REAL 100%!

THE REAL MAJORA'S MASK STARTS HERE

CUE THE MUSIC... Maybe I'm the only one hooked on fishing in this game. (Ha!) And maybe this thread will sink before it can swim. (HA!) But that's never stopped me before.

I wanna share notes and figure out how to catch more fish! Including my "white whales," Lord Chapu-Chapu and the Great Fairy Fish — be sure to check out the epic videos I've posted below!

hejq0.jpg

(Shot looks amazing in 3D)

OVERVIEW:

There are two fishing holes in MM3D: The Swamp Fishing Hole, and the Ocean Fishing Hole. Previously, MM didn't have fishing. These are all-new areas. And unlike OoT, which just had two types of fish (the Hylian Bass and the Hylian Loach), MM has 24 types of fish — 11 in each hole, plus a legendary in each hole. That's right, each hole has a mighty "boss fish," complete with boss music.

You pay 50 rupees to fish, or a Fishing Hole Pass to fish for free. You can switch freely between the Standard Lure (for fish near the surface) and Sinking Lure (for fish deep underwater) by speaking to the man at the counter. The man also gives tips and will mention which fish are present in the pond if you keep talking to him.

You can stay as long as you want. Time continues to pass in each fishing hole. You can use all of your masks and transformations except the Giant's Mask... Yes, this means you can even fish as the Fierce Deity.

u8ki7.jpg

Certain fish are drawn to certain things. For example, the Sweet Ranchfish appears sometimes when you play Epona's Song. The Cuccofish is drawn to you when you march with the Bremen Mask. The Fragrant Reekfish can be sniffed out with the Mask of Scents, a purple cloud appearing over the water where he swims. There are hints for each fish (except the legendaries) listed on the wall of each fishing hole. The telltale "puzzle jingle" usually plays when you've drawn out the fish.

Also note that Tatl remembers which fish you've caught. You can review them by checking the chart on the wall. You'll see a 3D model for each species you've caught. The game keeps track of the fish you've caught, so technically, completing the game 100% means catching all 24 fish. Because you don't want your fish chart looking barren, now do you?

oujyv.jpg

(Caught this fellow using the Gibdo Mask!)

Now that I've compelled your OCD to play along, let's talk strategy. I'll start this thread by compiling information and videos I've collected. Please correct any errors you see.

First, a few general tips:

- Cast the line with B, then break the line with A
- When a fish bites, hook it by tapping forward and A
- Reel in with A; reel faster with A plus R
- Pull in the opposite direction the fish is moving (I.E. towards its tail)
- When trying to attract fish, gently flick the line left and right
- By tapping B, you can reel in slowly
- Use Zora Link to scope out fish (selection is random)
- Leave the fishing hole and re-enter to spawn new fish
- If you stay, it seems new fish will eventually appear
- Goron Ground Pound scares away most fish
- Deku Link can reel in even the largest fish

And a note on RARE FISH (i.e. catfish, sharks, etc):

- Rare fish are more likely to spawn by catching many other fish
- Try catching as much as you can on Day 1 and 2, then leave and re-enter until they spawn
- If a rare fish escapes, they'll stay in the pond and return to their starting place, so don't leave
- They appear in the same places every time, described in the lists below

SWAMP FISHING HOLE

1) Termina Bass — Common fish — Standard Lure — All Days
2) Termina Loach — Near bottom of stone platform; feeds near the surface when it rains — Sinking Lure — All Days
3) Groovy Carp — Swims in the shadows of the foliage, to the right when you enter pond — Sinking Lure — All Days
4) Sweet Ranchfish — Rarely appears near the waterfall alcove; attract with Epona's Song — Sinking Lure — All Days, from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m.
5) Fragrant Reekfish — Use Mask of Scents to detect purple cloud on surface of pond — Standard Lure — All Days
6) Mooranha — Stand in shallow water and wear Romani’s Mask to lure them to shore — Standard Lure — All Days
7) Postal Salmon — Swims in circles around pond; stop it with Postman’s Hat — Sinking Lure — Days 1 and 2, from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
8) Cuccofish — Rare (in my experience); attract by marching in place with Bremen Mask — Standard Lure — First and Final Days
9) Ancient Fish — Semi-rare, spawning near the underwater cave; attract with Gibdo Mask — Sinking Lure — All Days
10) Ferocious Pirarucu — Rarely appears in main pond; hook a fish smaller than 15 cm as "bait," and let it swim around — Sinking Lure — All Days
11) Colossal Catfish — Rarely appears near bottom of stone platform; attract with a Goron Ground Pound on platform — Sinking Lure — All Days

BOSS FISH: LORD CHAPU-CHAPU (bites at 1:00) — First, you’ll need to fish in the hole for a few in-game hours. It’s not clear whether you have to catch several random fish in this time. Then, leave the hole and re-enter. Walk on the bottom of the pond as Zora Link, and check the plant-covered opening on the right side when you enter. Keep leaving the hole and re-entering until you see Lord Chapu-Chapu has spawned.

Next, rent a sinking lure and change to Deku Link. Skip across the water to stand on the lilypad closest to the boss’s lair. Cast your line and hook one of the Groovy Carps swimming in the shadows of the foliage. Once you hook it, let it swim around the area, tapping A periodically to keep it from escaping. As you’ll see in the video, this will attract Lord Chapu-Chapu, who will eventually eat the fish caught on your line. What follows may take 10-15 real-life minutes! O_O

Swamp visual reference (courtesy of Semajer):

zlCfzTCuMIkBrkz35m
zlCfzTCuOcccuILkiJ
zlCfzTCuQJM6n_mUED
zlCfzTCuR7kNZz5vWK
zlCfzTCuTsoMYfHJd3
zlCfzTCuXbUt5_9czV

zlCfzTCuZQozHTcgCL
zlCfzTCubYUr7TffbU
zlCfzTCudOgUR4M7GZ
zlCfzTCufD4HT3hdvn
zlCfzTCuhDcIY6U7u1
zlCfzTCujUUeFJs29h

OCEAN FISHING HOLE:

Tips provided by Semajer. For the purposes of this guide, note that the "left side" is the side that has the tree when looking from the entrance, while the "right side" has the wooden structure and crystal cave.

1) Termina Seabass — Common — Standard Lure — All Days
2) Goodta Goby — Common, appearing near the shore — Standard Lure — All Days
3) Ambrosial Amberjack — Common, appearing in the middle, between the two sets of islands — Sinking Lure — All Days
4) Bashful Angler — Won't appear without the Stone Mask; splashes around left set of islands — Standard Lure — All Days
5) Dancing Sea Bream — Attract with Kamaro’s Mask; fish will briefly follow you near shore — Standard Lure — All Days, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. (NOTE: Not sure on time…)
6) Fairy Fish — Attract with Great Fairy’s Mask; found on right side, mainly during day — Standard Lure — All Days
7) Ninja Flounder — Invisible until you use Garo's Mask; near left set of islands — Sinking Lure — All Days
8) Skullfish — Attract with Captain’s Hat; near crystal cave on far right — Sinking Lure — All Days, from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
9) Nuptuna — Attract with Couple’s Mask; near far back right, near deep part of ocean — Sinking Lure — First and Final Days
10) Grand Swordfish — Swims between two sets of islands on path that lines up with crystal cave, but closer to right set of islands— Sinking Lure — All days
11) Savage Shark — Hook fish smaller than 100 cm, wait for shark to bite; swims between two sets of islands, on path aligned with crystal cave, but closer to left set of islands — Standard Lure — All Days

BOSS FISH: GREAT FAIRY FISH (bites at 2:50): Like Lord Chapu-Chapu, you’ll have to fish for a few in-game hours without leaving the hole, maybe catch a few random fish in that time, and then leave and re-enter the hole, going underwater to check the crystal cave to the right until you see that the Great Fairy Fish has spawned. Some say it helps to catch as many fish as you can on the first and second days. You can detect her as soon as you enter the fishing hole by donning the Great Fairy's Mask. However, the mask also sparkles if Fairy Fish are present. You need both fish — sometimes only one spawns, and not the other. Once you see both, rent a Standard Lure, don the Great Fairy’s Mask and hook a Fairy Fish near the boss’s lair. Let the fish swim around on your line, tapping A every now and then to keep it from escaping. The Great Fairy Fish will come out of its lair and eventually eat the fish caught on your line. Cue 10-15 minutes of valiant struggle!

Ocean visual reference (courtesy of Semajer):

zlCfzTCuly8IT64LoD
zlCfzTCuoVkqe_TDUq
zlCfzTCuqKo0Jtma50
zlCfzTCusCIrlmnmYz
zlCfzTCutwY_RNbjJb
zlCfzTCuvfs1lMvp62

zlCfzTCuxlUzh8wrWp
zlCfzTCuzoMobGfjXi

zlCfzTCu104ehQS-g-
zlCfzTCu4BEwGUl914
zlCfzTCu6OkjGm4qzU
zlCfzTCu8lYsvJMegG

The information in this guide comes from fellow GAF members and various guides I've seen online. Hopefully it helps, but feel free to note corrections or add nuance!

Also, be sure to try casting your line at the fishing operator. Like with OoT, you can reveal he's wearing a wig!

dxj7j.jpg
vykao.jpg

And don't forget to take selfies with Miiverse!

4dupj.jpg

~ ~ "Wish you were here!" ~ ~

UPDATE: I tested this theory, and it works: How to make rare fish appear.

lol @ the boss music, that's just awesome. Twilight Princess had fantastic fishing, especially with the Wii remote, and I hope that it returns in the new one.

PikkonX

Always loved Fishing in Ocarina, now I can't wait to check these areas out in Majoras Mask. I also had no clue Nintendo added a screenshot feature onto the 3DS.

DNAbro

Does the grand swordfish need Fierce Deity Link? the sign inside implied.

oh and for the sweet ranch fish I believe i used a sinking lure for it, not positive though.

Neiteio

Does the grand swordfish need Fierce Deity Link? the sign inside implied.

oh and for the sweet ranch fish I believe i used a sinking lure for it, not positive though.
I think you might be right about the Grand Swordfish. I'll edit with a "may require Fierce Deity." I've seen a screen of the Grand Swordfish — it's HUGE.

This seems as good a place to any to ask.

I can just keep ignoring the fishing, right? There's no new heart piece or similar rewards for doing it?

Neiteio

This seems as good a place to any to ask.

I can just keep ignoring the fishing, right? There's no new heart piece or similar rewards for doing it?
There are no rewards, other than filling out your fishing catalogue with all 24 species, which IMO is the true 100%.

The chart next to the front desk keeps track of what you've caught.

There are no rewards, other than filling out your fishing catalogue with all 24 species, which IMO is the true 100%.

The chart next to the front desk keeps track of what you've caught.

I think I'll manage to live without playing the fishing minigame any more than I already have. Admittedly that means I caught a total of one fish, but yeah. This isn't the time or place, but I get no enjoyment out of it at all.

Thanks for confirming there's nothing content wise locked it. I'm sure this guide will be helpful to people.

Neiteio

Fishing is so good. Just cast your line while posting on GAF.

You'll be maxin' and relaxin' on a lilypad under a rainy overcast sky, the Kakariko Village theme whistling in the background, your line bobbing up and down in the water as fish lazily skirt by in the shadows.

One can't help but say, "THIS IS MOTHERFUCKING RELAXING AS HELL."

And dat feel when you catch a fish:

hmuis.jpg

And dat feel when you realize nearly 72 hours have passed:

q4us7.jpg

When you say to leave the hole and reenter, do you mean to completely leave the fishing area i.e. go out the door, come back in, and pay again?

Neiteio

When you say to leave the hole and reenter, do you mean to completely leave the fishing area i.e. go out the door, come back in, and pay again?
Yes, you leave and re-enter, but don't pay to fish until you see the pond has the fish you want. The fish match the way they look in the pictures on the wall, so you can visually identify them by going underwater as Zora Link and looking around in first-person. Your fairy will light up the fish if it's night out. And you check for the boss fish by checking the entrance to their lairs... You'll see them looking out at you from behind the seaweed.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I will probably pass on the fishing as I didn't like it in Ocarina of Time 3D.

Do you actually get anything from fishing in Majora's Mask 3D, like heart pieces and stuff?

So maybe I'm the only one hooked on fishing in this game. (Ha!) And maybe this thread will sink before it can swim. (HA!) But that's never stopped me before.

I
250px-273Seedot.png
what you did there.

Do you actually get anything from fishing in Majora's Mask 3D, like heart pieces and stuff?

Haha, I already asked this in the thread. no you don't. Maybe it needs to be added to the OP.

Too bad there's no prize for catching them all. Making endgame Link even more powerful would be funny.

Seeing Link wearing the FD mask doing the special (you know the one!) from Hyrule Warriors as a bonus for catching them all would be pretty epic.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Was just looking for a fishing guide haha. I'm sick of gobies and termina bass.

ffdgh

I find the thought of deku link fishing unexpectedly adorable. I'd imagine he be pulled into the water trying to fish given how light he is lol.

Neiteio

Wow that thing is bigger than link. Would have been even better if zora link caught him for the heck of it.
I think I saw a screenshot on Miiverse of the Grand Swordfish (a non-legendary, but very rare), and it looked even larger. The camera had to zoom out and it still spanned the screen from left to right. O_O

On another note, landed one of these babies:

brsne.jpg

Easy to find them since they're bright red and circle the swamp.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The Great Crack Whore Fairy Fish is a thing of nightmares.
I love it.

Boss music kicking in is legendary.

Neiteio

I like how the fishing gets extra use out of masks like the Couple's Mask. I also like how you set the fish free after catching them. :)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Got an Ambrosial Amberjack and a Fairy Fish (small one). Getting kind of addicted...

Neiteio

Got an Ambrosial Amberjack and a Fairy Fish (small one). Getting kind of addicted...
You can't stop at two. Now you have to go for all 24!

By the way, I haven't gone to the Ocean Fishing Hole. The info in the OP is compiled from GameFAQs, IGN, etc. Feel free to share anything you learn about the Ocean Fishing Hole, such as where the different fish tend to congregate, etc.

For example, I think I heard the Ninja Fish (which you lure out with the Garo Mask) appears near the shipwreck on the left side of the Ocean Fishing Hole (by "left," I mean when you're looking out to sea).

Conezays

Thanks for the post. I went into fishing blind lastnight and was way too tired having difficulty; reading this will definitely help.

Neiteio

I had a funny experience with the Mooranha, "the Swampland Cow Killer" (its nickname, according to the poster on the wall). These lil' guys are bloodthirsty. I stood in the shallows with Romani's Mask on, and two Mooranha immediately starting swimming toward me. I stepped out to shore to cast my line — and they leaped out of the water and started bouncing across the shore, lol. They really wanted to kill me, apparently. To the best of my knowledge, though, they can't hurt you.

I also like how you set the fish free after catching them. :)

At least they can enjoy their final hours swimming in harmony before Link dooms their Termina by going back in time again
f03d5957032be2f907f9626b78e6ef22d51500fd_full.jpg

Really though, I'm glad you made this thread. I'm waiting to hook some critters of my own until after I finish the game, but I love that it gives some additional usage to some otherwise underutilized masks, and the idea of being able to view the 3D models of some of these has me giddy.

I just hope the mechanics themselves (the casting, luring, and reeling) feel good enough to not make going for some of the rarer fish frustrating.

Neiteio

At least they can enjoy their final hours swimming in harmony before Link dooms their Termina by going back in time again
f03d5957032be2f907f9626b78e6ef22d51500fd_full.jpg
LOL, let's not bring the "one Termina vs. infinite Termina" debate into this thread.

Although it did lead to a picture that made it all worthwhile (courtesy of Labrys):

qru86yxoasvk.png

MetalGuardian said:
Really though, I'm glad you made this thread. I'm waiting to hook some critters of my own until after I finish the game, but I love that it gives some additional usage to some otherwise underutilized masks, and the idea of being able to view the 3D models of some of these has me giddy.

I just hope the mechanics themselves (the casting, luring, and reeling) feel good enough to not make going for some of the rarer fish frustrating.
The mechanics are excellent. There's something exhilarating about seeing the line snap and tug every which way, the tension conveyed in the line and rod. The fish breaching the surface, frantically skipping across the water, and ultimately flip-flopping across the ground at your feet... Sweet, sweet release!

What's maddening (and all too realistic) is the fish AI. They flit this way and that way, with little rhyme or reason. They curiously regard your bait, or ignore it... or perhaps seemingly ignore it, only to dart out of your line of sight, and then come back and and bite!

Or maybe they'll just graze the bait, bumping it out of the way, avoiding the trap, as though taunting you. And then they resume their sleepy drifting, or aimless wanderings, freewheeling about until you dangle the bait in their line of sight long enough to exploit their eight-second memory span and try again.

The tension and release of hooking the fish and then reeling them in is what makes this so maddening... yet so addictive. O_O

Neiteio

Neiteio doing Gods work as usual.

I didnt knew they flesh out The fishing aspect of The game. This is amazing
They didn't just "flesh out" the fishing aspect of the game — they added it in the first place! :) The N64 version didn't have fishing, so this is a new feature in the remake.

And it's way deeper than it ever was in Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess, with two locations, more types of fish, boss fish, and all kinds of tactics (masks, songs, etc). And it's a really unique experience to just lazily muck about a pond while the moon is falling overhead. ;-)

Neiteio

Aw yiss, just caught myself a cuccofish:

2ws92.jpg

I entered and re-entered the Swamp Fishing Hole three times, checking underwater with Zora Link each time. The first time? Termina Bass, Termina Loach and Groovy Carp. The second time? The same. The third time? I notice a flash of white with a streak of red, circling around the stone platform. I rent the Standard Rod, deku-skip to the platform, whip out the Bremen Mask, march in place, and... *puzzle jingle* ...the water starts rippling.

It took me two attempts to reel him in. He's 5 cm, but he's fast! When he slipped off the hook the first time, the fishing hole operator called be clumsy, lol. But I got him on the second attempt!

Now I'm going to investigate the cave opening where the boss appears. It's empty right now, but there's a long slender fish in there that might be a Termina Loach... or perhaps it's the Ferocious Pirarucu. After all, the Termina Loach usually swims near the center of the pond, while the Ferocious Pirarucu is caught by luring him in with smaller fish... just like Lord Chapu-Chapu.

Neiteio

Not the fanciest-looking fish, but I finally caught it:

7vu12.jpg

I had to keep exiting and re-entering the Swamp Fishing Hole until it spawned in the waterfall alcove. It is the only fish in that body of water. I then played Epona's Song and got the puzzle jingle. It swam under the bridge and start zipping around the shoreline.

I had to use the Sinking Lure, as someone else mentioned. I'll update the OP to reflect this.

Now I have three fish left in the Swamp Fishing Hole: the Colossal Catfish, Ferocious Pirarucu, and Lord Chapu-Chapu. Talking to people on Miiverse, it seems my best bet might to clear out the fishing pond — even though you release each fish you catch, they won't appear in the pond again after you catch them (during that visit), so you -can- clear out the pond if you fish thoroughly enough.

Then you can start exiting and re-entering the pond until the "mini-boss" or "boss" fish finally appears. The other fish will come back, too, but some people believe this is the only way to make the rare fish appear.

Also, I thought this was funny so I took a picture:

pzua7.jpg

And a funny perspective trick — part of my plot to trick Miiverse into a Loch Ness belief (although 3D reveals the trick):

uik3q.jpg

Top Bottom