• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC Berkeley teaches course on fanfiction. Fanfic writers get butthurt over concrit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NexusCell

Alright, so I couldn't really put all of it in the title, but the gist is this:

Also, Concrit = Constructive Criticism, I couldn't fit it in the title.

A student run course at UC Berkeley is teaching a class on fanfiction, and as part of the course, they were given a few fanfics to read and write a constructively critical review of them.

This didn't apparently go over too well with some writers. Basically, this is a post by a girl who got one of her fics reviewed and seems to be leading the outrage. And this one where the author actually flat out says that constructive criticism is not welcome unless asked.

Unless we say “Concrit welcome!”, assume it’s not.

So basically this has been a thing about whether or not its okay for academic students to write constructive criticism for an authors writing and posting these criticisms in a review.

Also, just for the lols, heres a schedule of the class.
Schedule of Classes​

Lecture 1: Introduction & A Brief History of Fanfiction
Spockanalia excerpt*

Lecture 2: Stepping into the Community
Less Wrong Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality Ch. 1-10

Lecture 3: Media Reception
Snowqueen’s Icedragon Master of the Universe Ch. 1-7
closer 5U175

Lecture 4: Mary-Sues, OCs, and Self-Inserts
My Immortal*
Dante’s Inferno excerpt*
not_poignant From the Darkness We Rise Ch. 9
Optional Reading: not_poignant Game Theory

Lecture 5: Alternative Universes
waldorph Delilah
First short writing assignment due in class.

Lecture 6: Crossovers
closer Sidekick
esama Safehguard ch. 1-3
AvocadoLove The Boy Who Spoke With Ghosts

Lecture 7: Sidekicks and Villains
Lise Life in Reverse ch. 1-5
Magneticwave kyle wei, tree whisperer

Lecture 8: Tropes – De-aging & Gender Bending
laventadorn The Never-ending Road ch. 1, 31, 54, 70-72

Lecture 9: Tropes – Forced Bonding & Time Travel
Elenothar lay down your sweet and weary head
Second short writing assignment due in class.

SPRING BREAK March 23-27

Lecture 10: Fanfiction as Vehicle of Social Commentary
megganoconner All That’s Best of Dark and Bright
RobinRocks Wertham’s Law
songlin Random Numbers

Lecture 11: Slash
Diane Marchant “A Fragment Out of Time”

Lecture 12: Femslash
yollm For Her Hand
TardisIsTheOnlyWayToTravel If I had to beg for your love, would it ever be enough

Lecture 13: Kink
MajaLi Good Boy
Whisper91 As Luck Would Have It (I’m already smitten) Ch. 1-5

Lecture 14: Closing - Is fanfiction a valid literary genre?
eleveninches, Febricant, helltailor, M_Leigh, neenya, tigrrmilk Steve Rogers at 100: Celebrating Captain America on Film

RR&R Week May 4-8

FINALS Week May 11-15

Fifty Reviews Assignment Due

Force me to read omegaverse slash if old.

terrisus

Concrit?

EDIT: Ah, "constructive criticism" I guess.
Never heard it combined into a single term like that.

Burt

I don't know how they could possibly think that exposing students to microaggressions like these could be anything but incredibly harmful.

FZZ

Banned
If terrisus doesn't know what concrit is, I will never know in my life.

Take that OP.

Edit: And just as I post this he figured it out. Damn.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't know how they could possibly think that exposing students to microaggressions like these could be anything but incredibly harmful.

Are you saying their work shouldn't be critiqued?

Absolutely absurd if so, and tbh offensive.

If you don't want critic, then say so in the fic. It isn't hard. Although really, if you're putting your fanfiction on open web then to not expect criticism is rather naive. Sure you can moan if you're just sharing it privately, but on the open web, it is just silly to not expect people to tear it apart. If you don't want to hear about it, then just ignore all replies.

And yes, I'm a FF author, and I've gotten my fair share of flames.

when you publish your work anywhere it is open to criticism

period

you are not forced to listen to it, read it, or even acknowledge it exists

it can still be personal and help you or whatever you want it to be but when its on the internet its not entirely yours anymore

Stet

Banned
"You're not allowed to give me constructive criticism on this thing I made public" can be solved pretty easily by removing the last three words.

If you put a piece of work out publicly I'd say it's not really within your power to prevent people from critiquing it.

I don't think posting the critique as a comment was really necessary but whatever, if there is a spot for comments don't be surprised when people comment on it.

I'm not sure why they posted the reviews online for the authors to see, and I'm not sure why the authors are upset. You put your stuff online, you get feedback, that's how it works.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
LOL.
Master of universe (OG 50 shades of gray) and My immortal is required reading!?
Good choice by the lecturer

i wrote fanfic and feedback are expected. Yes, there will be those who give you sick burn and trollish comment, but those are expected.

patapuf

are these popular fanfics?

From what i remember fanfiction writers that go beyond a few pages of wish fullfilment usually try to become better at writing and ask for constructive critisism.

I guess not everyone can deal with it.

Valhelm

contribute something
Why teach a course on fanfiction, though?

It seems like a waste of time and talent to teach people how to better write other peoples' characters purely for their own entertainment.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

It seems like a waste of time and talent to teach people how to better write other peoples' characters purely for their own entertainment.

Apparently for the comedic rage.

Also this sounds exactly like a stereotypical fan fic writer response.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Gotta get working on my NeoGAF fanfic for next semester I guess.

Also, someone should try to get the Erotic Batman fanfic from NeoGAF Secret Santa in the course.

bigkrev

This isn't a class about writing Fanfiction. It's more about the discussion of the medium, broken into topics. Just look at Lession 14

Lecture 14: Closing - Is fanfiction a valid literary genre?

It's the equivalent to having a class on something like Crunkcore at a music school

Damaniel

Banned
That syllabus is missing Legolas by Laura. How can you have a course on fanfiction without that classic?

Sorry, authors - if you create a work and make it available for others to read, they're going to provide criticism (some constructive, some not). If you're so afraid of getting your feelings hurt that you feel the need to call the critics out, then perhaps publicly releasing your work isn't the best idea.

(And for the love of Thor, please give these authors a goddamn spellchecker and some grammar lessons. I've never seen a piece of fanfiction that wasn't full of glaring typos, grammar issues and other butcherings of the English language.)

Platy

Starts slow .. but after week 5 it has potential to be really awesome.

I would take it if it was on my university

From the Tumblr post, the writer was flustered because it was constructive. She was used to shallower criticism that probably often amounted to "I don't like this pairing".
I guess if you really just don't want to improve at all, you would just write things and get upset when people try to give advice.

Valhelm

contribute something
This isn't a class about writing Fanfiction. It's more about the discussion of the medium, broken into topics. Just look at Lession 14

It's the equivalent to having a class on something like Crunkcore at a music school

You're right, sorry! This is an interesting idea, in that case. It's great to apply academic analysis to anything that academia tends to ignore.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Well, to be fair, it teach you how to write using determined character and setting, which will be useful if you get a job like say, writing an anthology for Sherlock Holmes or star wars.

Edit: oh, it's discussion about medium. Okay then.

If they're rude or mean with their criticism I can see why they would get upset but... I thrive on being critiqued on what I do. It's how I learn to get better, and I don't know why someone would not want to improve.

Fury451

Banned
Tumblr drama? Tumblr drama.

Tumblr drama is simultaneously the best and worst type of drama, for vastly different reasons.

Constructive criticism is a fact of life, yo. Deal with it.

Most people are lucky if the criticism they get is even "constructive" at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom