• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia Season Six | Review Thread | Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory

OKAY

I'm going to draw a line on the sand. I'm a tyrant. Not the one you deserve, but the one you need right now.

I think we have covered A LOT of grounds on the aggression issues. Let us move forward on this for now, shall we?

HOW, you ask?

Well, for starters, by discussing this in the open, everyone in the community is now aware of the matter. Awareness affect our behaviours, and I hope we are all going to be a little better when dealing with hostility and/or upset members of the community.

That's for starters. We will also implement changes!
  1. Moderators and Overseers will be expected to be more proactive when they see trouble brewing.
  2. Volunteer robot(s) are welcomed! If you see anyone in the community neglected and having a hard time, light a mod-signal or drop one or two kind words in PMs to those people.
  3. A brand new guideline is being formulated and WILL be enforced.
  4. Double-bracket style of posts should be used to alert fellow participants and moderators to real life issues to occasionally break the immersion of scumhunting so people will understand that there are such thing as a real person living a real life beyond the monitor screen.

I hope that shows our community's commitment to tackle and improve on this issue.

If there are ANY further feedback on this, please feel free to continue discussion, but I think we are at a point where we are ready to commit to these new ruleset and see if they will take us somewhere better :> yes/yes?

dont argue with a spider >:O

So, the next step on this issue will be the publication of GAFia's new guideline. Your comments and feedback will be appreciated.

There were other issues but it seems that we've basically been preoccupied with one of the most important matters, but if any of you would like to revisit any of the other issues, please feel free.

Other than that, the mini games are about to start and the mid-season games are probably a week or two away. Sign ups will happen on the main thread.

Still waiting on that $5 tributes, guys...

So, tl;dr I think we're tackling this issue and you all owe me $5 each.

Send that all over to the YNNY fanclub fund btw, this is of vital importance

Btw YNNY, you talked about how you separated the active posters in season 4, and tbh, I think that would be great.

Most older players tend to be fine with any of the games. Sure, they have preferences, but I doubt the really active members care too much: they're either here to play mafia or here to be a part of the community, themes arent as big of a draw

Sure I'll do it.

you should have access now, czar !

Send that all over to the YNNY fanclub fund btw, this is of vital importance

Btw YNNY, you talked about how you separated the active posters in season 4, and tbh, I think that would be great.

Most older players tend to be fine with any of the games. Sure, they have preferences, but I doubt the really active members care too much: they're either here to play mafia or here to be a part of the community, themes arent as big of a draw

Yes, Hyper is the president of mah fanclub. BEST.

oh ok, i can do that again. i only did it for Season 4. it will kinda mess with the roster allocation's RNG purity, though. which was why i was reprimanded. which i totally understand and which was why i didnt do it again in S5 and S6.

if most of you would like for the high posters to be distributed through the games, i can do so again.

gryvan

look we can settle this through a haiku gafia game

all your posts are in haiku and if you make a mistake, scum gets 1 additional kill the next day.

scum abilities include but not limited to make an entire day into a 4-6-4 rubric instead of the usual 5-7-5

all your posts are in haiku and if you make a mistake, scum gets 1 additional kill the next day.

scum abilities include but not limited to make an entire day into a 4-6-4 rubric instead of the usual 5-7-5

*smells an insanity role*

oh you sweet summer child

have you run this through the overseers' sauron eye yet

We're not doing this

Unless we're eliminating the vowels

Hi everyone :>

I've tabulated the survey's result ! ... at least the Multiple Choice one... :>

So, here's some of YOUR say in these topics:

56 respondents
  • A majority of 89% had a Good or Great experience!
  • 22% of you reported that you were the thread leaders.... with the majority of you saying that you posted at least 5 posts per cycle (30%)
  • 71% of you said that you will be happy if others at least post ONCE every 24 hours.
  • Most of you (48%) said that ideally a game should be between 15 to 20, with another bunch of you saying that you dont have any ideal game size (41%).
  • Overwhelming 54% of you want Shorter Day 1.
  • 67% of you said Season 6 was reasonably balanced... and 22% said it was WELL balanced! WELL DONE MODS!
  • 96% of you were pleased with your mods (Good or Great rating)!!!
  • 53% of you prefer the use of Forums to be reinvigorated with only 38% of you saying you are pleased with using both Forums AND Discord as is. (BOOOO) (am a discord fiend) (.___.)
  • And 66% of you said you will definitely return next season :>

Here's some graphs, hohoho~
oK5gbCp.png
D5MqX0Y.png

xIVammD.png
4fJK64f.png

2X6XtcG.png
*ppc is post per cycle

All the graphs are available also here: http://imgur.com/a/s9HPl

RetroMG

I got caught up in RL stuff today, so I haven't got the guidelines finished up yet. In the meantime I want to bring up another issue and express a new guideline.

Mods do not approve games for the mid-season. That's fine, because it's the wild west, and these games don't need approval. What they do need is scheduling, and what keeps happening as of late is that people show up at the last second and say, "My game's ready! I'd like to start signups!"
This is fine when we don't have a lot of games lined up, but we currently have three or four games waiting for 6.5, and two more showed up last night wanting to know when they could start recruiting. At this rate, either not all of them are going to run, or Season 7's gonna start in 2017.

So, going forward, if you want to run a game for the mid season, I need to have it's setup document submitted to me or Ynnny or one of the other mods BEFORE THE MAIN SEASON FINISHES. Otherwise, it's going to have to wait. As far as a deadline for the main season, We will usually end each mid-season with an event game (such as Gafia 1 and 2) that will be clearly noted. If you intend to run a main season game, the setup will be due before that final event game is done. (I will try to give a specific date in the main thread, since not everyone pays attention to the event games.)

If this deadline changes for any reason, I will let you know.

Also, when I say that it needs to be submitted to a mod, I mean a link to a document (preferably a google spreadsheet) must be PM'd to a moderator, preferably me. You can't just say, "It's in my Outer Gafia Board." I'm going to make you work for this.

(I hear you asking: So what's running for the rest of 6.5? The answer is: I don't know yet. Right now, Mini Mafia is running, followed by Doctor Doctor and The Price is Right. We'll let you know from there.)

So

umm

I actually don't really like the idea of event games like GAFIA 1 and 2 getting special consideration. Gafia 1 wasn't really an "event" game per say.

RetroMG

So

umm

I actually don't really like the idea of event games like GAFIA 1 and 2 getting special consideration. Gafia 1 wasn't really an "event" game per say.

Okay. You are correct that Gafia 1 wasn't an event game, but it was so popular and loved that Gafia 2 kind of became an event. But I'm willing to forgo the event game idea if other people agree, and just run whatever games come up as mid-season. (For example, I know Ouro is working on Gafia 3 for 7.5.)

Thoughts from others?

Sorian

Banned
I like having some big shebang for the capping off of each season, personally. I know Gafia 1 wasn't framed that way but sometimes things grow out accidentally.

Sawneeks

Banned
Okay. You are correct that Gafia 1 wasn't an event game, but it was so popular and loved that Gafia 2 kind of became an event. But I'm willing to forgo the event game idea if other people agree, and just run whatever games come up as mid-season. (For example, I know Ouro is working on Gafia 3 for 7.5.)

Thoughts from others?

I'm in favor of keeping the Gafia Mafia games as a Season End event. It's a fun way to celebrate the community and the end of a Season. Just have it to where it doesn't count towards the mid season total and is its own sort of side thing.

Also a fan of the idea of a big insane event game to cap off seasons.

Only real issue I see is that if they are bigger games, you need a lot of players, and if they lead right into the next season and a lot of people want to take a break.

I wouldn't say 54% in favour of a shorter Day 1 is "overwhelming". :p

well.... MORE THAN HALF sounded not as exciting :<

so, as you guys can see, the majority of those who play GAFia enjoyed themselves :> which is awesome, but we have to remember that this was based on 56 respondents (58 now since there are two laggards coming in this morning). We began S6 with 69 people, so there is a margin of about a dozen voices that can't be bothered to tell us how we did in Season 6.

Despite that, 90% satisfaction rate out of everyone who did fill in the survey shows that we're on a good track! We do have rooms of improvements, but take heart in knowing that the majority of players enjoy and appreciate this community and its gamerunners \o/

ALRIGHT, the next part of survey results are on the people that you guys appreciate :>

These are the names who a fair few of us wanted to play again with :D

• Splinter
  • batsnacks
  • blarg
  • cabot
  • camjo
  • cornbro
  • crab
  • crimsonfist
  • darryl
  • flame_ac
  • freakinchair
  • gorlak
  • karkador
  • kawl
  • kristoffer
  • kyanrute
  • melonrabbit
  • ourobolous
  • palmer
  • roytheone
  • scraftydevil
  • sophia
  • sorian
  • squidyj
  • starsketch
  • ty4on
  • weemadarthur
  • wherearemahdragonz

Good games, you. Clearly you have made someone else's experience really fun and they would like to play with you again :D Keep up the awesomeness \o/

The one most frequently mentioned from the list above is.......... GORLAK. Congratulations Gorlak, more than a few people really enjoyed playing with you!

The rest of you whose names didnt make the list, dont be disheartened... I'm sure with a little glitter, you too can be noticed by senpais in the next seasons :>

Sorian

Banned
i think SOME ppls didnt really read the question that it is restricted to season 6 and just put names of people they wanna play again (who they might have played with before)

... well, maybe not SOME but ONE person... XD

Hey, I like the self-esteem boost, I thought people stopped liking me D: Don't take this from me.

A few choice attached comments:

Anon Gafiaer said:
Gorlak, thanks for the detailed posts! You're a little crazy with your detailed notes but I appreciate your active participation.

Anon Gafiaer said:
I don't think I've played with Gorlak before and even though he fucked up the last day, he was contributive and fun to play with.

Anon Gafiaer said:
Crab- really detailed way of posting and contributing, even if he didn't post as much

WAMD and Gorlak- both of these are funny because I clashed with them a bunch in game. WAMD seemed pretty enthusiastic at playing, plus I sorta feel bad in being too rude in some of my posts. That's directed to Gorlak too Gorlak honestly comes more from being a spectator. I don't know if it's just because I was clashing with him, but when he first came in he felt overly aggressive, frustrating, I'd still say he should tone it down some there. But when I subbed out, even with his interaction with my sub, it was easier to tell how he was trying to keep activity going, and he did a good job at that.

Anon Gafiaer said:
Gorlak played really well. He kept up an active dialogue and prompted other players to contribute.

Anon Gafiaer said:
Ouro was fun, he posted a lot and kept things light.
The mods where good.
Interacting with scum Dragonz was fun.

Anon Gafiaer said:
I like Kark's fun gambits.

Some loves for our new comers!

Anon Gafiaer said:
I really liked all of the newbies that played this season as they really immersed themselves into their individual games. Melonrabbit, ttk, verilios, and catvoca especially.

Anon Gafiaer said:
Melonrabbit - You did a great job your first time. Better than some veterans even!

Anon Gafiaer said:
None specific, we have a good variety. Shout out to this season's newbies though (Cat, TTK, melon)

Anon Gafiaer said:
Ty4on- You were an amazing scum partner. Your presence in the scum chat was immeasurably helpful.
Splinter- You subbed in and did great. Mad props.
Melonrabbit- Amazing performance for a newbie. Thought I was playing with a veteran at times.

SkyOdin

I'm not sure that anyone even remembered that I exist. Not that I can blame them, considering how short of time I was in any major game.

I'm not sure that anyone even remembered that I exist. Not that I can blame them, considering how short of time I was in any major game.

I'll remember you exist when you post in the Zelda Mafia OG thread. :p

And Sawneeks too. I see your post up there. *poke*

Get thee to the OG.

*Splinter

I don't understand the problem with having too many games ready to run. Sure you can't expect to be able to run it asap, but just let the mods know when it's ready and it can be slotted in to the schedule?

I'm also generally against anything that makes the season structure even more rigid, but "event" games have been ok so far.

roytheone

I don't think I've played with Gorlak before and even though he fucked up the last day, he was contributive and fun to play with.

LOL, how did someone came to the conclusion that GORLAK fucked up the last day in bar :)

Kawl_USC

Hey man. Matrix wasn't your fault.

That was some primo bussing, town was done after that.

Goodwillhunting.gif

It's not your fault.

Letitgo.gif

RetroMG

I don't understand the problem with having too many games ready to run. Sure you can't expect to be able to run it asap, but just let the mods know when it's ready and it can be slotted in to the schedule?

That is also an expectation that I am trying to manage, and you are absolutely correct. When your game is ready, we will try to run it asap, but we can't promise that.

This is one of those things where 90% of Gafia does it right, but I still get one or two who are like, "I'm here, let's run this game now."

Nudull

Banned
Didn't really expect myself to be of note, so I'm not surprised by the results. I didn't feel that I was at my best with Bloodborne, personal issues with that game aside. I'd like to think I can do better, but I'm not sure if I should continue.

Didn't really expect myself to be of note, so I'm not surprised by the results. I didn't feel that I was at my best with Bloodborne, personal issues with that game aside. I'd like to think I can do better, but I'm not sure if I should continue.

give us another chance, nunu :>

we can and we will do better \o/

Sawneeks

Banned
I'll remember you exist when you post in the Zelda Mafia OG thread. :p

And Sawneeks too. I see your post up there. *poke*

Get thee to the OG.

I will! I just can't access OG at work but when I get off today I'll check on our 2 map, multi-tanner monster of a game. :p

am i joking? who knows!

Give it another go! First games can typically be pretty rough but now that you know the feel of the game it's even more fun the second time. And third, and fourth, and so on.

It's an addiction. :x

Top Bottom