• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Announces Yearly Paid Expansions for Diablo 4

Draugoth

Gold Member
games-like-diablo.jpg

In a recent interview with Dexerto, Diablo 4 general manager Rod Fergusson confirmed that Blizzard is working on “annual expansions” for the game.

Rod Fergusson: Yeah, I mean, obviously, that’s like how long is a piece of string.

PD: Exactly.

RF: But, you know, it’s years and years. That’s the thing we’re focused on. When you look at the launch of the game and this first season, we see that as building a foundation on which we can build for the future. So, as we look at our quarterly seasons, and we look at our annual expansions, those are the things that we’re really focused on for our live service.

We’ve got plans, we have storylines that go well into the future. We’ve got plans. We’re always leapfrogging our seasons, and leapfrogging our expansions, so it’s something we are going to do for a long time. We’re excited.

When you look back and realise that there were 11 years between D3 and D4, that feels like we didn’t live up to our players, our community, and what they deserve. That’s something we are rectifying in D4 with our seasons and our expansions.”

With four quarterly seasons and an expansion roughly every year, it sounds like Diablo 4 is aiming for a release cadence similar to Destiny 2. Bungie’s game has largely stuck to that, though expansions have been delayed in the past. Of course, that Diablo 4 matches Destiny 2 is speculation.

Bry0

Not surprising. The game had the stink of destiny 2 in many aspects of its design. If they are significant and if high quality then that’s fine, but cmon… lol

Last edited:
Players deserves every bit of what left from Blizzard.
It's odd, it's like they're trying to go for a trifecta of bad PR for their biggest properties, Diablo, Overwatch, and WoW.

If these strategies weren't making them loads of money, I would absolutely believe this is some form of internal sabotage.

Laieon

As someone who has played WoW since 2007 I don't know how I'll feel if they'll actually manage to pull this off when the WoW team seems to clearly struggle with a release schedule (although Dragonflight has been pretty good in that regard).

It's odd, it's like they're trying to go for a trifecta of bad PR for their biggest properties, Diablo, Overwatch, and WoW.

What's the bad PR with WoW? Dragonflight has been very well received by those of us actually playing it.

Last edited:
I've quite enjoyed D4 on PS5, and put around 150h into it, however I'm not sure if this planned yearly expansion release cycle on top of seasonal updates & battle passes is the way to go lol. Most of the casual playerbase will not put up with that; they were already pretty upset upon finding out that each season you have to roll a fresh character in order to play the new content before it eventually goes into the eternal realm (non-seasonal mode without battle pass and seasonal content). XD

Last edited:

Bkdk

Hopefully with dwindling sales and online players will lead to offline mode with mod support eventually being released.

Paradox and Kalypso like to do this. I'm okay with it in theory. But I expect the execution to be more like The Sims 4.

King Dazzar

I was at one time looking forward to this game. But as more things came to light around the grind and monetisation, I've lost any interest. The Act Man did an interesting video on it all, around the game design:

Last edited:

LordCBH

My big mistake this year was buying the Diablo 4 Xbox bundle over the Forza one. I played like 5 hours of diablo and was like "nah this ain't it."

clarky

Gold Member
Enjoyed my time with it but it became a major grind after level 60 ish and became no fun. Ill try it again when an expansion hits, when hopefully they remove level scaling in the mid/ late game.

drotahorror

Hopefully with dwindling sales and online players will lead to offline mode with mod support eventually being released.

I didn't think about that but that is literally the only way this game can be saved. Offline + Mods. The community may be able to fix this game if given the tools. As an online game, D4 is dead to me and I'm sure many others.

D4 did have a great campaign, but I don't play ARPG's for their campaign. I play for the end game and the fun grind. Both at which D4 has failed tremendously at.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Duped…all of you who bought this game for the name….duped. As much as it sucks, this shit was written on the wall far before the game released.

Edit - The sad thing is, we’ve moved from having season passes and paid add on content, to GAAS…and now these clowns are moving to GAAS combined with season passes and paid content. Gaming is a shit show at this point.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Duped…all of you who bought this game for the name….duped. As much as it sucks, this shit was written on the wall far before the game released.
Tell me about it, I've been really enjoying Grim Dawn and am having a ton of fun. It's really interesting the obvious design choices in giving players more agency vs limiting it for more money. Blizzard can really fuck themselves honestly, said it before and I'll say it again, that shit should've been free from day 1.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Tell me about it, I've been really enjoying Grim Dawn and am having a ton of fun. It's really interesting the obvious design choices in giving players more agency vs limiting it for more money. Blizzard really fuck themselves honestly, said it before and I'll say it again, that shit should've been free from day 1.
I don’t game on PC too much but I have a boat load of games on Steam downloaded and Grim Dawn is one of them. I haven’t got around to playing it yet…how is the solo experience?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wouldn’t get your hopes up too high.
I'm not exactly opening my wallet up to pre-order here. If what they have on offer seems worthwhile to me, I'll buy it. I'm just saying I'm not likely to buy it unless it's similar in size and scope to their previous expansion (like Reaper of Souls size DLC for D3). Kind of like how I've completely ignored the cosmetic shop because the prices are astronomical for what you get - if these are the same I'll just also ignore them.

Puscifer

I don’t game on PC too much but I have a boat load of games on Steam downloaded and Grim Dawn is one of them. I haven’t got around to playing it yet…how is the solo experience?
I'm loving the solo experience, I love playing as necromancer in titles like this and being able to cross class with a magician is just so much fun. I'm buffing my summons and doing serious damage to everything because of build decisions that aren't artificially limiting.

It's truly single player first and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a Diablo fix that isn't being satisfied anymore and I stand by that

phant0m

Yearly expansions AND battlepasses AND a premium cash shop, on a 70 usd game
I actually don't mind expansions if it's truly new content (dungeons, areas to explore, enemy types, etc) nor the cosmetic shop.

but fomo battle passes can eat my ass

Last edited:
Top Bottom