• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox co-founder seemingly hints about Borderlands 4

Draugoth

Gold Member
Borderlands-Game-of-the-Year-edition-feature-image-1024x576.jpg

In an interview with IGN, Randy Pitchford was asked what his personal favourite game in the Borderland series was. Rather than naming an existing game, Pitchford instead started talking about a project that was in development, without specifically saying it was a Borderlands title.

“Look, we haven’t even announced anything of it,” he replied. “Clearly, we’re working on something. “And I know what we’re working on, and holy shit… it’s the greatest thing we’ve ever done. And I can’t wait, but it’s not time yet. It’s not time yet. There will be a time.”

I actually reinstalled BL3 to play with some family. Haven't spent much time with it since release, but I'm looking forward to playing it again. I'll say, that I didn't play BL3 the first time through like I did BL2. BL2 was my favorite of the 3, felt like it evolved the formula of BL1 in a good way, even if it did add some cringey humor to it.

Kadve

The best Borderlands is still BL1.

Give me BL3 gameplay with BL1 atmosphere with good non-cringe humor spaced out and decent character designs that aren't ugly and I'm all in for BL4.
Nah. The third game just had unnecessary gimmicks up its ass and the loot system just straight up didn't work (Legendariers in 2 was something exciting, in 3 i literally found one in the very first store and it was by far not my last).

Prefer the Pre-Sequel gameplay myself. No Slag-meta mucking things up like 2 and i found the grinder really fun and useful to use. Humor was also more subdued and serious moments actually felt meaningful. It also had villains which you know, made sense and didn't require the narrative to bend over backwards to work like 3.

And yes, that does mean that i consider the best Borderlands game to be one not made by Gearbox.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Nah. The third game just had unnecessary gimmicks up its ass and the loot system just straight up didn't work (Legendariers in 2 was something exciting, in 3 i literally found one in the very first store and it was by far not my last).

Prefer the Pre-Sequel gameplay myself. No Slag-meta mucking things up like 2 and i found the the grinder really fun and useful to use. Humor was also more subdued and serious moments actually felt meaningful. It also had villains which you know, made sense and didn't require the narrative to bend over backwards to work like 3.
I mean it's ironic. For me from best to worst it's BL1 > Pre-Sequel > BL2 > Wonderlands > BL3

Going forward I do think having a jetpack for the Presequel mechanics needs to be a mainstay.

I do agree that Slag is just awful. The 4 elements was a great system on it's own and I really miss Eridium/Alien weapons from BL1.

Kadve

I mean it's ironic. For me from best to worst it's BL1 > Pre-Sequel > BL2 > Wonderlands > BL3

Going forward I do think having a jetpack for the Presequel mechanics needs to be a mainstay.

I do agree that Slag is just awful. The 4 elements was a great system on it's own and I really miss Eridium/Alien weapons from BL1.
Yea personally i found the first game to be kinda dull and repetitive. But i can see if people prefer it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yea personally i found the first game to be kinda dull and repetitive. But i can see if people prefer it.
It's the atmosphere primarily. Best depiction of Pandora. I think the Pre-Sequel's Claptastic Voyage was peak Borderlands.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Was the Pre Sequel really that good? I remember everyone was pretty tired of the formula by that point and kinda blew it off. I have it but ive never even given it a shot. Maybe I should.

The first game is still my favorite as well. There's a really cool mid 90s, MTV/Nickelodeon Liquid Television-ish kinda vibe to it that I fucking love.

Kadve

Was the Pre Sequel really that good? I remember everyone was pretty tired of the formula by that point and kinda blew it off. I have it but ive never even given it a shot. Maybe I should.

The first game is still my favorite as well. There's a really cool mid 90s, MTV/Nickelodeon Liquid Television-ish kinda vibe to it that I fucking love.
Well its basically a refined expansion pack to 2 but made as a full game. Takes all the stuff that didn't work in that game and either removes them (such as Slag) or refines them (such as Hyperion Sniper rifles, which can now actually be used) while introducing some stuff of its own such as Cryo weapons and lasers. The tone is as mentioned also more somber with the vault hunters being depicted in a more morally grey light and Jack being far more sympathetic. Hell like the first game it doesn't even really have a villain.

There are still plenty of "humor" mind you, though it tends to lean slightly harder towards satire and is nowhere near as "in your face" as 2.

Ymmv whether you like the moon gravity and oxygen mechanics. I had no problem with them but i can see some people finding either annoying. The Grinder (lets you sacrifice weapons in order to get better ones based on recipes, its basically like the Alchemy pot from DQ8) is a great addition though in my mind.

Also The DLC "Claptastic Voyage" is often considered as being one of the best told stories in the series.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Well its basically a refined expansion pack to 2 but made as a full game. Takes all the stuff that didn't work in that game and either removes them (such as Slag) or refines them (such as Hyperion Sniper rifles, which can now actually be used) while introducing some stuff of its own such as Cryo weapons and lasers. The tone is as mentioned also more somber with the vault hunters being depicted in a more morally grey light and Jack being far more sympathetic. Hell like the first game it doesn't even really have a villain.

There are still plenty of "humor" mind you, though it tends to lean slightly harder towards satire and is nowhere near as "in your face" as 2.

Ymmv whether you like the moon gravity and oxygen mechanics. I had no problem with them but i can see some people finding either annoying. The Grinder (lets you sacrifice weapons in order to get better ones based on recipes, its basically like the Alchemy pot from DQ8) is a great addition though in my mind.

Also The DLC "Claptastic Voyage" is also often considered as being one of the best told stories in the series.

How is the music? The soundtrack to 2 was the best part about it to me.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

Give me BL3 gameplay with BL1 atmosphere with good non-cringe humor spaced out and decent character designs that aren't ugly and I'm all in for BL4.
I disagree. Two was my jam. If they would have had the 2 drop rates in 1, I would agree with you.

Kadve

How is the music? The soundtrack to 2 was the best part about it to me.
Probably not that good as i don't remember it. Think it was mostly atmospheric "space" stuff.

Oh unless you count stuff from Claptastic voyage. But those are story relevant and i won't spoil them.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I adored 1 and Tales. Enjoyed 2 at the time, but hated the dated and cringe humor on a recent replay. Despised 3 and New Tales. I don’t have faith they could make a new game good.
I like 2 the best, but I do agree with the humor. It wasn’t quite as bad at release, but pretty terrible when I ran through it again about a year ago.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I disagree. Two was my jam. If they would have had the 2 drop rates in 1, I would agree with you.
2 generally only has a couple meta endgame weapons you went after and then endlessly farmed the same raids. BL1 had variability with it's weapon drops. To where you had 2 different Hellfire guns that did different stuff.

2 is more straightforward while 1 I feel was more balanced. 2 has more variety of guns but 1 has more variability. 2 different things.

In 1 you can potentially run White Green or Blue weapons and they will be better then Legendary weapons in some cases based on what they do.

Meanwhile in 2 it's all about farming Legendaries from endgame bosses.

However if we delve deep into Melee builds I'd say 2 is probably the winner with Krieg. Although Athena in TPS is also very good with Melee Build.

Would prefer an expansive game that went beyond Pandora and an endgame that focused on opening Vaults in the postgame filled with loot treasure and lore.

AREYOUOKAY?

I can ignore all the awful characters / humor so long as it remains a decent online co-op game. More FPS games need co-op campaigns.

Last edited:

MrRibeye

Agreed, as long as it's a decent co-op game I'm in. Just like many others here, I do find the yapping non-stop in squeaky high-pitched voices insufferable, but I can look past that for good co-op fun.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
2 generally only has a couple meta endgame weapons you went after and then endlessly farmed the same raids. BL1 had variability with it's weapon drops. To where you had 2 different Hellfire guns that did different stuff.

2 is more straightforward while 1 I feel was more balanced. 2 has more variety of guns but 1 has more variability. 2 different things.

In 1 you can potentially run White Green or Blue weapons and they will be better then Legendary weapons in some cases based on what they do.

Meanwhile in 2 it's all about farming Legendaries from endgame bosses.

However if we delve deep into Melee builds I'd say 2 is probably the winner with Krieg. Although Athena in TPS is also very good with Melee Build.

Would prefer an expansive game that went beyond Pandora and an endgame that focused on opening Vaults in the postgame filled with loot treasure and lore.
I agree with most of your post…I just didn’t like how easy it was to find an orange in 1. Should be terrible drop rates and the excitement of finally finding one. That was my big issue with 3 as well. Legendary drop rates were wayyyy too high. But yea, vaults in post game would be amazing!

DonF

1 is great, 2 is awesome, 3 i dont know why exactly but it didnt click with me. Gameplay wise, it felt weird. I bought 2 and the season pass, played everything and loved it. 3 I played for like 4 hours and I was done.

I dont have faith in gearbox anymore.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I agree with most of your post…I just didn’t like how easy it was to find an orange in 1. Should be terrible drop rates and the excitement of finally finding one. That was my big issue with 3 as well. Legendary drop rates were wayyyy too high. But yea, vaults in post game would be amazing!
The good stuff IMO should be found in Vaults. And Legendaries should be hard to come by. Too easy to find in 1. Too many given out in 3 that they aren't Legendary anymore. They need to find the sweet spot as far as loot tables are concerned.

They probably need a new tier of weapons that is just very hard to get and you know it's good with a unique weapons manufacturer. Signature weapons for each character wouldn't hurt either.

SHA

I played the series in this order
2>3>1
and glad that I did that, you're right, too much looting kills the atmosphere, 1 was special, I knew if I played from 1 going forward I'd complain about 2 and 3.

Lokaum D+

Plot: Hypireon made a time traveling machine on some forgotten planet/moon and uses the machine to go back in time, making all the events and new characters of Borderlands 3 never exist ( especially Ava and the twins ), at the same time bringing Jack back into the plot, but this time he knows what will happen and can counter everything, so we ll need a new set of vault hunters to take Jack down once again.

Make it happen Gearbox

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
The good stuff IMO should be found in Vaults. And Legendaries should be hard to come by. Too easy to find in 1. Too many given out in 3 that they aren't Legendary anymore. They need to find the sweet spot as far as loot tables are concerned.

They probably need a new tier of weapons that is just very hard to get and you know it's good with a unique weapons manufacturer. Signature weapons for each character wouldn't hurt either.
Kind of like the Pearl weapons in 2. That would be cool

Shut0wen

Tell me you’ve never actually played them without saying it.
Ive played bl1 and 3, played bl1 and finished it twice when it first released, played bl3 first time last year and turned it off when some fat bitch gave me the car, nothing had changed from almost 13 years of last playing it, fifa from 13 years ago felt more different lmao

SHA

Ive played bl1 and 3, played bl1 and finished it twice when it first released, played bl3 first time last year and turned it off when some fat bitch gave me the car, nothing had changed from almost 13 years of last playing it, fifa from 13 years ago felt more different lmao
They were using an engine that hide technical limitations, they weren't bad, it's the engine and haven't evolved since then, 2 have reached the sweet spot of all what they did, 3 looked wider but nothing groundbreaking, 3s problem wasn't theirs actually, you saw many 8th gen games having the same issues like gears of war.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
So you didn’t play pre-sequel, 2, Tiny Tinas, and barely played 3….yet they are all the same? Okay 👌

Shut0wen

Well considering the pre sequel and 2 came out before 3 yes nothing has changed because 3 is literally the first game with better graphics

Shut0wen

They were using an engine that hide technical limitations, they weren't bad, it's the engine and haven't evolved since then, 2 have reached the sweet spot of all what they did, 3 looked wider but nothing groundbreaking, 3s problem wasn't theirs actually, you saw many 8th gen games having the same issues like gears of war.
What you mean unreal engine 4 caused shit for them? Id agree with you if it was unreal engine 3 i mean borderlands is the only decent fps game that i can think of that manages to do but unreal engine 4 is 10x better for fps, if blizzard can spice up diablo from 3 to 4 then why cant gearbox do the same? Honestly the company is a shadow of what it once was man they suck ass

That guys such a blow hard. Just straight cringe every time he opens his mouth. But I would hope they’re doing BL4. It is their biggest franchise 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom