• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foamstars has lost nearly 95% of its player base

havoc00

Despite receiving a strong initial burst of PS Plus subscribers when those Foamstars trophies arrived day one on the service back in February 2024, it seems Foamstars' PS Plus player count has seemingly been in freefall ever since. Now, two months later, it seems players have all but abandoned Foamstars for other PS5 multiplayer games with the shooter having lost over 94% of its initial PS Plus player base.

• Foamstars debuted with more players in its first week than Helldivers 2
  • However, Foamstars has since lost over 94% of its PS5 and PS4 player count
  • The Square Enix shooter has since dropped out of our top 200 PlayStation Chart
Using gameplay data from over 3.1 million active PSN accounts (courtesy of our partnership with GameInsights), we had previously reported that Foamstars' initial PS5 and PS4 player count had already began to fall shortly after the game's day-one as one of February 2024's monthly PS Plus games.

Kupfer

doctor who GIF

Foamstars has a great aesthetic...
can't agree. The sparkly Las Vegas vibe it goes for is okay I guess, but the main thing, the foam, just looks terrible. It does not look like foam, and it's bloom, or whatever it is, is just straining to look at. Unravel eg, which tries to display snow, the same shaders would look much better and possiby could be tweaked to look more like foam. Any game that tried to display sand (Uncharted, Journey, Spec Ops) does look better. If they at least allow me to select the color. Instead it changes in each round and the white one looks worst, just blinding, while the ones with some color at least have some detail left and not just max out the teranits on my TV.

I liked the coop mode, but everything else feels undercooked and underdeveloped. I guess it would be a fair price as a 9,99 title and free via Plus was an alright move, but anyone that greenlit this and monitored its progress and expected huge numbers, must be delusional.
The whole foam idea, with not only being a surface modifier but manipulating the geometry is kinda promising, more so than it probably is in Splatoon. Maybe I would not love Splatoon either, never played it, don't know it much, but they seemingly copied only the very basics and not really transfered enough of its succesful essence.

Ozriel

M$FT
Releasing a GaaS game 2 days before the biggest GaaS game of the year (Helldivers 2) is like being sent out to die…

How would they have known Helldivers 2 was going to be such a big hit?

No, the release date was fine. And putting it on PS+ gave it a very good chance of getting a decent playerbase. Their key mistake was not launching on PC as a F2P or budget priced title too.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I didn't even bother installing it, but I imagine I don't count as a "lost" player for just redeeming it on plus.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I could barely play 10 minutes of this game. It was like if AI generated a Splatoon knockoff. It’s got no soul at all.

Aenima

Why everytime i hear the name Foamstars i think about epileptic ppl having seizures? Something wrong with me.

Top Bottom