• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within - The Assignment [gameplay trailer]

Dez_

Has Tango commented on how long these doc parts are supposed to be? I'm guessing a couple hours each tops?

Stealth was kind of a non issue for me since it mostly goes away after a few chapters. I'm curious as to how Kidman will play out.

-MD-

Has Tango commented on how long these doc parts are supposed to be? I'm guessing a couple hours each tops?

Stealth was kind of a non issue for me since it mostly goes away after a few chapters. I'm curious as to how Kidman will play out.

Here's an interview with the director on the dlc

http://www.bethblog.com/2014/12/11/dlc-takes-hold/

Are there any specific areas of the main game that served as inspiration for the DLC content?

Probably two of the biggest inspirations were Chapter 5 and 9. Chapter 9 had you uncover past stories by solving puzzles and exploring and there is a lot of that in the DLC. Overall, Juli’s adventure is rather story driven — Juli tends to “discover” these things by her actions and by solving puzzles. But at the same time, the atmosphere and progression is similar to Chapter 5, where you were trapped in a very oppressive area and the “horror” element was at its strongest.

However, I would say there’s quite a bit of variation in her encounters so I wouldn’t want anyone to think “Oh, it’s just another Chapter XX.” Even the “horror” element has a different feel! Juli’s experiences are much more dark, lonely, and claustrophobic.

How does playing as Juli feel different from playing as Sebastian?

Well, from a character perspective, I would say she’s much livelier than Sebastian was in the main game! Her story is a bit more personal than his as well, so there’s a bit of banter and commentary as you play.

KyleCross

Also of note, the Mobius man tells her, "You will bring us back that boy." Suggesting they actually wanted Leslie alive. Or maybe it's a DOA-type deal. While they're presumably trying to head off the danger of Ruvik escaping his mental prison, Mobius might be interested in Leslie for his malleability and ability to "host" minds without a body.

My guess is that Mobius sent Juli in to get Leslie under the pretense that if Ruvik got him bad shit would happen so she had to extract him, but then somewhere along the lines Juli finds out that Mobius was going to do some fucked up shit with him too so she made the rough decision to kill Leslie to prevent both parties from using him... wait no, because after she attempted to kill him her next scene had her say "Our goals are the same as yours." to Sebastian suggesting she is still following Mobius.

I don't even pretend to know this games plot.

Neiteio

My guess is that Mobius sent Juli in to get Leslie under the pretense that if Ruvik got him bad shit would happen so she had to extract him, but then somewhere along the lines Juli finds out that Mobius was going to do some fucked up shit with him too so she made the rough decision to kill Leslie to prevent both parties from using him... wait no, because after she attempted to kill him her next scene had her say "Our goals are the same as yours." suggesting she is still following Mobius.
That's a good theory. :-O That quote might be from early in the DLC, so their goals could've changed.

DirtyLarry

This is the first DLC to be release correct?
And how much DLC Is planned in total? Is it 2 or 3?

Been holding off on a sale for the Season Pass but it is not looking very likely, so I might as well pick it up soon.
TEW was one of my personal favorites of last year, so I am on board.

-MD-

This is the first DLC to be release correct?
And how much DLC Is planned in total? Is it 2 or 3?

Been holding off on a sale for the Season Pass but it is not looking very likely, so I might as well pick it up soon.
TEW was one of my personal favorites of last year, so I am on board.

Yes this is the first piece of DLC.

3 parts in total. 2 are Kidman episodes and 1 lets you play as the keeper.

I'm really curious about the Keeper DLC. Is it just some arena combat mode or will it be a story/campaign with us lumbering around as a Keeper...traveling through levels like a normal character?

KyleCross

I'm really curious about the Keeper DLC. Is it just some arena combat mode or will it be a story/campaign with us lumbering around as a Keeper...traveling through levels like a normal character?

I think I heard way back when (even before the game came out) that it was basically challenge maps you played as the Keeper in. I honestly don't see what else they could do with him.

Jingo

I think I heard way back when (even before the game came out) that it was basically challenge maps you played as the Keeper in. I honestly don't see what else they could do with him.

Really? I was hoping we played with him before he became the infamous boss with a safe in his head, learning his history, guess they re going for the easy way out, generic maps for slaughter.

Neiteio

Everyone who downloads this has to help make the world a better place by posting lots and lots of screenshots of Juli

Here's an interview with the director on the dlc

http://www.bethblog.com/2014/12/11/dlc-takes-hold/

Hmmm, Chapters 5 and 6 are the best parts of TEW to me, but Chapter 9 is on the lower end of things, so I'm conflicted. He does focus more on the exploration elements of Chapter 9 rather than the level gimmick though, which I'd have no issues with. On the other hand, the trailer makes it look like there will be lots of stealth which wasn't particularly good or fun.

I'll wait for impressions.

Neiteio

Of all those brutal deaths, right?
Of course, I'm like that one guy on Miiverse

BURyqCkCAAEcuzl.jpg

DVCY201

B-tnLxdWkAENm9D.jpg

Looks like Juli gets a flashlight. There's a big theme about 'light' in the game, and I'm glad to see them expand on it.

Fractal

Banned
That's good to hear... own the game already, but haven't played it yet. At this point, think I'll wait for all the DLC to come out first, and focus on something else for now.

You can't "add" anything to thread titles.

Topic:
That asset reuse though, they even recycled the unused art.

Seems like my source was 100% right: Hue

Rev 2 and this, my action-horror needs are fulfilled.

I did not know that. The release date is pretty important info though.

Looking forward to the DLC. I hope they make stealth in the game more interesting though.

Hope this provides some main game unlocks. Post-Game fun stuff was a bit of a weak showing given the pedigree.

Edit: And while not perfect, I also enjoyed the stealth elements. Hope it blends well like it did in earlier chapters.

jg4xchamp

I like Evil Within, not enough to pay for DLC that will largely be areas I was in the standard game, but with that chick from Dexter. Remember when a decade ago homeboy made Resident Evil 4, and like assignment ada was on the disc of Resident Evil 4, and it was like a cool add on that wasn't sold separately. Good times.

Xpliskin

I did not know that. The release date is pretty important info though.

Looking forward to the DLC. I hope they make stealth in the game more interesting though.

Yes only mods can change thread titles.
Blame it all on MD, blame him
:)P)

Two weeks, they're probably done with testing.

Now I'd really like to know if the sales were satisfactory.

Corpekata

Banned
I like Evil Within, not enough to pay for DLC that will largely be areas I was in the standard game, but with that chick from Dexter. Remember when a decade ago homeboy made Resident Evil 4, and like assignment ada was on the disc of Resident Evil 4, and it was like a cool add on that wasn't sold separately. Good times.

It was also like half an hour long and was basically little more than Ada fighting a lot of enemies.

Top Bottom