• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Daily Show’ Spinoff Starring Jordan Klepper Ordered

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://deadline.com/2017/04/daily-...pper-comedy-centralr-1130-pm-slot-1202060672/

Comedy Central is sticking to its playbook, once again going with a Daily Show spinoff toplined by one of the program’s correspondents as a 11:30 PM strip. The network has picked up a new late-night talk show headlined by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah‘s Jordan Klepper reprising the persona he developed as a Daily Show correspondent. The new series will debut in the fall, serving as a Daily Show companion Monday – Thursday. The current 11:30 PM slot occupant, @midnight, will move back to its original midnight start time.

Like with the two previous Daily Show spinoffs which aired behind the mothership series, The Colbert Report and The Nightly News with Larry Wilmore, both executive produced by Jon Stewart, the Jordan Klepper-fronted show will be exec produced by Stewart’s Daily Show successor, Trevor Noah, along with Daily Show with Jon Stewart alum Stuart Miller.

There is very little information about the format of the new series, which is still in the beginning stages of development. Per Comedy Central, the show “will look to embrace and define the chaos of our country by channeling Klepper’s steadfast attitude that institutions are to be trusted less than the lies of the mainstream media. He’ll surround himself with a hand-picked team of contributors contractually obligated to reinforce his singularly correct world view.”

The description sounds in the vein of The Colbert Report, which also was built around the strong views of Colbert’s conservative persona and also featured correspondents.

Meh. No thanks. Something different would be nice.

Ernest

Banned
Colbert spin-off worked because Colbert is fucking brilliant. Klepper is alright in small doses, but a whole show with him sounds annoying.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I just want more on-the-street shit. That is where the money is, sadly he will be stuck behind a desk.

BigDug13

Colbert spin-off worked because Colbert is fucking brilliant. Klepper is alright in small doses, but a whole show with him sounds annoying.

Yeah, you had Late Show level talent doing a character so well that he could do a whole show just as that character. I just don't see Klepper as anywhere close to that level.

I could be wrong though. I didn't think Samantha Bee would be as good as she is on her show and she's fuckin brilliant. Same with John Oliver.

So, they mean like The Colbert Report or the Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore? It is just a bit weird calling it a Daily Show spin- off at this point.

I am not really familiar with this guy.

Slayven

Agreed. But I think they work best as a duo. I love their segments together.

Thought this might be coming after he filled in for Trevor. He did a decent job that one time.

They should do a news show buddy cop style, call it Coffee and Cream

WillyFive

The way Comedy Central ruined their standing in late night by losing Colbert, Stewart, Oliver, and Bee within the span of a year or so is impressive and should be studied by people in the industry.

There is very little information about the format of the new series, which is still in the beginning stages of development. Per Comedy Central, the show ”will look to embrace and define the chaos of our country by channeling Klepper's steadfast attitude that institutions are to be trusted less than the lies of the mainstream media. He'll surround himself with a hand-picked team of contributors contractually obligated to reinforce his singularly correct world view."

This sounds hilarious, its colbert for the era of Fake News

The way Comedy Central ruined their standing in late night by losing Colbert, Stewart, Oliver, and Bee within the span of a year or so is impressive and should be studied by people in the industry.

All the places beside Bee had a lot more money to give

CC is much better positioned for young and cheap talent. This kind of stuff always happens, people get their break and then move up

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah I'll just echo the sentiments that Klepper is best with his field segments. Put him in a Trump rally for some guaranteed comedy. Not sure how good he would be behind a desk or with a script.

Play to his strengths and it could be good.

NandoGip

Yeah, jesus christ it could not have been worse timing. Besides Stewart, the other 3 are literally still doing the exact same thing except on different networks. CC is in such a difficult position because this new show is only getting to be another to add to the pile.

There are at least 10 shows right now all doing the same thing. It's a matter of time before some fizzle out

LilZippa

I could be wrong though. I didn't think Samantha Bee would be as good as she is on her show and she's fuckin brilliant. Same with John Oliver.

I'm in the same boat. I didn't see either of them capable of pulling off their own show and both are killing it.

Yeah, jesus christ it could not have been worse timing. Besides Stewart, the other 3 are literally still doing the exact same thing except on different networks. CC is in such a difficult position because this new show is only getting to be another to add to the pile.

There are at least 10 shows right now all doing the same thing. It's a matter of time before some fizzle out

Trump is the perfect era for these shows. There's so much stuff they can find a certain topic to focus on.

It's likely that nothing will ever reach the 1-2 combo Stewart and Colbert had going for years, but Trevor has been steadily improving and Klepper's segments are always fantastic, so I think there is reason to be optimistic here.

ape2man

I really like trevor noah sometimes he is better that John Stewart. Just dont like his fake English Accent

I thought Anthony Atamanuik just announced a Trump show on Comedy Central on Thursdays at 11:30. Which show gets that slot?

Edit: Okay, The President Show starts in April, and this show isn't until the fall. Presumably if the President Show does well, they'll just move it.

I really like trevor noah sometimes he is better that John Stewart. Just dont like his fake English Accent

You know, after Jon Stewart left, I drifted away from the show, not before a half-hearted attempt at watching the new host, which lasted barely a handful of episodes. Jon had left and the show was over, as far as I was concerned anyway. But Trevor just wouldn't accept no for an answer and he kept popping up on my YouTube videos, being funny on his show and being a decent human being in various interviews. Before I knew it, he'd won me over and he did it surreptitiously with five minute YouTube videos. Now, I check into the show almost every time it's on, just like in the old days, so kudos to Trevor Noah. A worthy successor to JS.

I recommend to anyone hooked on Trevor to check out the documentary 'You Laugh But It's True' on Netflix. It covers his early stand-up career in South Africa and what it was like for him to grow up there.

This universe should have been killed off when Stewart gave up the ring. the new guy sucks and the rest of the corps have always been the low point of the series.

SeanC

As long as he's out there putting the mic in front of Trump supporters.

All he does is go up to them, ask a simple question and the results are golden. He's witty and on his feet to go at them so I hope they keep that up.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
eh...hes not that great imo. Jessica Williams would make a better host
She doesn't appear to want to host a show like that. Last we heard she's working on a scripted show for Comedy Central.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
One one hand, against.

On the other, I've doubted pretty much every spinoff as being unnecessary, by the only time I was right was Larry Wilmore and ended up enjoying the rest quite a bit so who knows.

Just feel like the market for this sort of thing is saturated now that it's basically taken over every other form of media, with late night in particular (in a way, Colbert never really left).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom