• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘I’m Retiring,’ Miyamoto Tells Staff - Moving On To Smaller Projects In Nintendo

Was going to happen eventually. This probably won't change things as much as people think as his role has been pretty high level for years now.

Still, sad to see him retire from the types of games I commonly buy.

Derrick01

Banned
Guys, READ! He's retiring from being a huge project manager so that he can make smaller games himself

and if you're not interested in smaller games, like me, then he's as good as completely retired.

Still end of an era I suppose. I hope this pressures Nintendo into drastic change or a bunch of new IPs.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
How much was he involved with recent projects like Skyward Sword and Mario 3D Land anyway? I was under the impression that other guys like Aonuma and Koizumi were pretty much taking on Miyamoto's responsibilities so he could eventually step down.

Shiggy still busts the door open regardless

Gravijah

"“What I really want to do is be in the forefront of game development once again myself,” Miyamoto said. “Probably working on a smaller project with even younger developers. Or I might be interested in making something that I can make myself, by myself. Something really small.”"

that's fucking amazing. this news makes me really happy.

apana

2012 is the apocalypse, the proof is here.

Actually this could be just fine. He could go to more of a hands on role on a select few games and contribute his now occasional brilliant idea to other teams.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Given reactions here I guess we can expect Nintendo's stock to drop 75% due to similarly minded investors?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
and if you're not interested in smaller games, like me, then he's as good as completely retired.
Really? I'm sure his idea of 'small' is probably something that a lot of people would love to play.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Good for him. Now if only Nomura will do the same.

Not reading the OP is a bannable offense lol.

Retiring makes for a catchy headline, but really, he said he'll continue making games. If anything this is good news.

Sure Nintendo has released a ton of great games under his supervision, but none of them have been as great as the ones he personally directed. Now that he's going back to directing games (even if they're small projects), I'm excited.

Man. The more I'm thinking about this, he's going to debut some critical NEW stuff in 2012 beyond. That should shut up ppl who keep saying that the last Mario is like the previous Mario, last Zelda like the previous Zelda, etc

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Shiggy still busts the door open regardless

Surely somebody is being trained in the proper method of upending tea tables?

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how much changes, especially in series where we know Miyamoto had his hands in a lot.

And hopefully we still see the fruits of his labor, even if it's in the form of 3DSware or something.

I always felt that since Miyamoto went to his current "over see-er" position that Nintendo games have been missing something. I really like this decision, and hopefully it shows on the final products. Will be good to have a truly Miyamoto designed game again.

The headline just took years off my life.

Smaller projects will be nice, but I do think it's good it's for the best when he oversees game mechanics of other projects.

Socreges

Banned

“What I really want to do is be in the forefront of game development once again myself,” Miyamoto said. “Probably working on a smaller project with even younger developers. Or I might be interested in making something that I can make myself, by myself. Something really small.”

THATS AWESOME!
Yeah, that might be pretty cool. Hopefully his absence won't be felt too much on their big projects.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
He's nearly 60. I'm not surprised, maybe he'll retire fully at 65, spend time with his grandkids (does he even have any?) and all that stuff. Most people retire around that age.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I thought this was announced a while ago? He's just retiring from his current position and stay "low profile". To me, it feels like he wants to go back to his roots/beginnings. I can't wait to see what he comes up next. Best of luck, Shiggy.

Seda

Sounds like good news to me. Not the "retiring"part but the "forefront of game development once again myself" part

Exciting times. I think his own philosophies are so deeply embedded into the company at this point that this basically means nothing insofar as how future Mario/Zelda/etc titles will turn out, but whatever he works on next should be very very cool.

Wonder who'll step up as 'General Producer' for Mario/Zelda/etc stuff.

Mr_Moogle

This is good news. Its an opportunity for some new blood, new ideas etc

I just hope the standard for quality that miyamoto's has set doesnt go by the wayside.

Top Bottom