• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Luke Cage’ Canceled by Netflix - another defender bites the dust.

Akuza89

News of the cancellation comes four months after the superhero action drama from Marvel Television debuted its second season on the streaming service — and just days after Netflix pulled the plug on another Marvel show, “Iron Fist.”

“Unfortunately, ‘Marvel’s Luke Cage’ will not return for a third season. Everyone at Marvel Television and Netflix is grateful to the dedicated showrunner, writers, cast and crew who brought Harlem’s Hero to life for the past two seasons, and to all the fans who have supported the series,” Netflix and Marvel Television said in a joint statement.

A source tells Variety that talks for a third season had taken place, but that Netflix ultimately decided that one would not be feasible.

With the move, Netflix severs further ties with Marvel as the producer prepares to shift gears toward providing content for parent company Disney’s yet to launch streaming services. Disney has already indicated that it will allow its licensing deals with Marvel to expire so that library content can be moved to Disney-owned services. That decision would not have any affect on series such as “Luke Cage,” which are produced by Disney for Netflix.

“Luke Cage” was part of a five-series deal between Marvel and Netflix for a group of interconnected shows — “Daredevil,” “Jessica Jones,” “Luke Cage,” “Iron Fist,” and “Defenders.” Another series, “The Punisher,” was also later added to the mix.

Source

Considering iron fist only got cancelled not too long ago, now luke cage...

I can only assume the same for Jessica Jones and daredevil too...

It's clear Disney is doing this so they have everything under their own banner and not different places, but come on people enjoy watching them right?

Luke Cage was a good series, I enjoyed both seasons for different reasons. The links between the four heroes was adequate but should've just happened within their shows or a special not a whole series imo.

Not good news, but hopefully opens door for other talent.

Ka-Kui

I only really enjoyed Daredevil and Punisher. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were ok, but I didn't watch their second seasons, I don't really have time nor the inclination to just watch OK shows; and Iron Fist was below average.

So this cancellation doesn't bother me too much.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, I only kinda enjoyed Punisher if all Marvel tv shows were cancelled It would not affect me at all.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Honestly I think this is gonna lead into a Luke Cage + Ironfist spinoff like in the comics.

Neverwas

The moral of the story is don't make a 2nd season better than the 1st. DD and JJ should be safe in that regard....

Pagusas

Elden Member
Unless they bring back David Tennant for ALL of season 3 of JJ, they might as well cancel it as well. He made that show.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The shows felt out of place compared to the MCU and S. H. I. E. L. D so I'm not surprised, I said this when Iron Fist got canned but fans had none it.
I can see S. H. I. E. L. D going to Disneys streaming service and new shows being launched within the same MCU/S. H. I. E. L. D universe that are more consistent.

kunonabi

Cage was great so this is unfortunate if it doesnt get moved to the Disney service. I imagine JJ is also done on netflix after S3.

Too bad we couldn't get "punisher" canceled before being subjected to another season.

Akuza89

Cancelled to make room for: “Heroes for Hire”

I could see that happening.

I can imagine Disney cancelling these 2 to drop a "heroes for hire" show on the Disney streaming service.

it'd annoy the hell out of me, but I'd be happy to watch it! haha

daredevil was good until electra appeared, then it became a slog for me at least

both seasons of luke cage were enjoyable. Jessica jones and iron fist sucked

JLMC469

Banned
What are the chances that Iron Fist and Luke Cage appear on Disney's streaming service?

Could they (Disney) cancel their contract with Netflix and move Daredevil, Jessica Jones and The Punisher too?

KonradLaw

This needs to lead to Hereos for Hire. And also Daughters of Dragon, just to move the ladies away from Danny and Luke, because I like Colleen, but focusing on her wrecked season 2 of Iron Fist.

Fbh

Eh, it was better than Iron Fist but definitely not as good as Daredevil, Punisher or even Jessica Jones.

I don't think it's Marvel forcing them to cancel, but I imagine they won't be getting the licenses for other characters so I think Netflix is no longer willing to invest a lot into building this Marvel TV universe that they won't be able to expand in the future

I still haven't seen these shows, will they be taken off Netflix soon? Also, only rich people can afford to pay for lots of streaming services at once, and I wouldn't give up Netflix for a Disney only service. Sucks.

Akuza89

What are the chances that Iron Fist and Luke Cage appear on Disney's streaming service?

Could they (Disney) cancel their contract with Netflix and move Daredevil, Jessica Jones and The Punisher too?

Well as the original post shows, they signed it as a "Five deal series" now whether that means 5 series per show, or that means 5 shows in general I'm not sure... as there are 5 tv shows overall:- iron fist, Jessica jones, luke cage, daredevil, punisher and defenders - totalling 6 actually, but defenders isn't a full series, it was just 6.

if the contract is just for 5 shows in general, Disney could pull out when they wanted in theory and move it elsewhere yes.

Last edited:

Wag

Punisher is next.

Honestly, after the Defenders I stopped watching. There is so much good TV on these days I'm not going to waste my time with mediocre shows.

Want to watch something good on Netflix? Watch Big Mouth.

xrnzaaas

I've only seen Daredevil, Punisher and Jessica Jones. All of them bored me and in most cases I didn't even get past the first full season.

Grinchy

Banned
Iron Fist only seems like one of the worst shows ever made until you torture yourself with the entire first season of Luke Cage.

TrainedRage

Banned
I could only get through like 3 episodes of Luke Cage. The actor had the emotional range of a spoon. The entire show felt forced, much like Iron Fist. I liked Jessica Jones and Daredevil.

octiny

Banned
It's clear Disney is doing this so they have everything under their own banner and not different places, but come on people enjoy watching them right?

https://screenrant.com/disney-netflix-marvel-tv-shows-cancel/
One of Netflix's executives confirms that only they have the authority to cancel any of their Marvel TV shows, not Disney.

I can see why they canceled Iron Fist, the bad acting alone made me turn it off & the main actor had such a punchable face. Luke Cage season 2 was pretty disappointing compared to S1, although still surprised at the cancelation. Couldn't get into Jessica Jones, so no thoughts on that but viewership has been good for it.

Just finished up Daredevil Season 3 which was great & definitely looking forward to Punisher season 2.

Last edited:

Akuza89

https://screenrant.com/disney-netflix-marvel-tv-shows-cancel/

I can see why they canceled Iron Fist, the bad acting alone made me to turn it off & the main actor had such a punchable face. Luke Cage season 2 was pretty disappointing compared to S1, although still surprised at the cancelation. Couldn't get into Jessica Jones, so no thoughts on that but viewership has been good.

Just finished up Daredevil Season 3 which was great & definitely looking forward to Punisher season 2.

Interesting so Disney/marvel don't get a say...

Assuming they've met their terms of contract with Netflix though, they can just decide just to not make the show anymore, but the wording isn't clear to me as to whether "five deal series" means 5 shows or whether that means 5 series of each show.

As I said, if it is just 5 shows, they've met the criteria and Disney are free to do as they wish really, unless they re-negotiated for the other seasons I'm not sure...

oagboghi2

Punisher is next.

Honestly, after the Defenders I stopped watching. There is so much good TV on these days I'm not going to waste my time with mediocre shows.

Want to watch something good on Netflix? Watch Big Mouth.
That crappy cartoon about puberty?

If you want to watch something good, watch season 3 of daredevil.

Edit: iron fist and Luke Cage seemed to have the least amount of audience engagement. I don't think this is a Disney move or whatever.

Netflix is canceling a ton of shows, and I think it's mainly to control costs. They can't spend frivously anymore because they have real competition coming.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned

Assuming they've met their terms of contract with Netflix though, they can just decide just to not make the show anymore, but the wording isn't clear to me as to whether "five deal series" means 5 shows or whether that means 5 series of each show.

As I said, if it is just 5 shows, they've met the criteria and Disney are free to do as they wish really, unless they re-negotiated for the other seasons I'm not sure...

Netflix has free reign on the TV rights until they decide give it up. They paid Marvel a lump sum, hence why they only have the authority to cancel. This isn't your normal renewing of a contract, since Marvel/Disney isn't putting money into the actual production like a normal cable show. It's all on Netflix.

Edit: And when it comes to the five series thing, Netflix did just that....and more. So they fulfilled what Marvel initially wanted, now they have free reign (Netflix) to do with the five series as they please.

Last edited:
yeah i definitely think this reeks of disney. luke cage wasnt bad but cottonmouth was the best part of that show though

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Trash shows after the first episode that thought they were on The Dark Knights level and they weren’t

This is all about opportunity cost.

Making shows based on Marvel characters only fuels future Netflix competitor and resources that would be used for another season can be invested into making something that will Netflix IP.

So if series about Marvel hero x is not so popular then it makes most sense to cancel it and make something else.

Wag

That crappy cartoon about puberty?

If you want to watch something good, watch season 3 of daredevil.

Edit: iron fist and Luke Cage seemed to have the least amount of audience engagement. I don't think this is a Disney move or whatever.

Netflix is canceling a ton of shows, and I think it's mainly to control costs. They can't spend frivously anymore because they have real competition coming.
Did you even bother to watch it before criticizing it? Honestly, Big Mouth is one of the best shows on TV right now, animated or not. I've seen all the Marvel shows up to The Defenders, which wasn't very good. Still watching Agents of Shield tho, which I still enjoy.

iconmaster

Banned
Iron Fist was no surprise, but I thought people were enjoying Luke Cage somewhat.

Jessica better watch her back. Turns out a hero’s biggest threat is the studio exec.

Kadayi

Banned
Uggh. Netflix better be coming up with some decent original content because for the most part I enjoyed Iron Fist season 2 and Luke Cage Season 2. It would be nice if they did Heroes for Hire, but given where they left things story wise with each. I'm not holding out much hope of that happening.

Uggh. Netflix better be coming up with some decent original content because for the most part I enjoyed Iron Fist season 2 and Luke Cage Season 2. It would be nice if they did Heroes for Hire, but given where they left things story wise with each. I'm not holding out much hope of that happening.

please tell me nobody import ants has said something about your avatar

Silent Duck

Two down, two to go...
giphy.gif

Just kidding, we all know they’ll all be consolidated into a new show at some point.

Akuza89

This video seems to explain it really well.

It sounds like it was a whole combination of things really..

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I don’t anticipate another season of Punksher regardless. I loved season 1 and I love Jon Bernthal in the role, but it feels like that story is fully told.

They already ordered season 2. It is scheduled to be released sometime in 2019.

Akuza89

They already ordered season 2. It is scheduled to be released sometime in 2019.

In the video I posted above, it actually sounds like they've finished shooting, it just needs editing now, so maybe early 2019 (y)

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Good. Super heroes just don’t work with the TV budget or pacing. You have CGI battles and action packed 90 minutes in a movie while on TV you have dollar store costumes and a plot that is pure filler to add up to 20 episodes.

JCK75

I felt Iron Fist was awful.. but I really enjoyed both season of Luke Cage so I'm a bit saddened by this.

Top Bottom