• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In October (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replicant said:
Why is Timberdouche is the lead in a movie while the more charismatic Matt Bomer is just a supporting cast?
I hate Justin Timberlake, but he was pretty awesome in the two roles I've seen him in: Alpha Dog and The Social Network.

Solo

Replicant said:
Why is Timberdouche is the lead in a movie while the more charismatic Matt Bomer is just a supporting cast?

You know the answer. One is marketable, one is not.

Replicant

Mr.Awesome said:
I hate Justin Timberlake, but he was pretty awesome in the two roles I've seen him in: Alpha Dog and The Social Network.

Haven't seen Alpha Dog but he's the weak link in that film. Even Eisenberg can act circles around him.

Solo said:
You know the answer. One is marketable, one is not.

Yeah, I know. It's more like a dismayed statement than a question.

Solo

CaptYamato said:
lol People don't care about Justin the actor.

You and I don't, but u mad if you don't think he's going to have a pretty successful film career.

For the record, I like him as an actor, but he needs to stay as a supporting character.

Solo said:
You and I don't, but u mad if you don't think he's going to have a pretty successful film career.

For the record, I like him as an actor, but he needs to stay as a supporting character.

I don't see anyone wanting to see him. The trailer for In time looks fucking horrible because of him.

Expendable. said:
Real Steel was fucking horrendous. Jesus Christ.
I have seen nothing in the ads for Real Steel that indicates it could be any degree of good.

I'm sort of curious about The Big Year. The poster makes it look like another stupid comedy that only Jack Black would say yes to doing but the ads made it look like something decent.

Really want to see Rum Diary and Ides of March, but I'll probably wait til BluRay as I doubt any of my friends will want to go with me. But I bet if I suggested Real Steel they'd be all over that! Assholes.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Expendable. said:
Real Steel was fucking horrendous. Jesus Christ.

You might also be surprised to find that the sky is in fact blue and water is wet. Shocking, I know.

Yeah, Real Steel ranks along Cars 2, Sucker Punch and Paul as one of the few wide releases I actively hated almost every decision being made. Cinematography was good and Jackman had some charisma, but zero stakes during any robot fights and the script was so so so so bad. I like Lily in LOST, but she is a terrible actress here.

Sinatar said:
You might also be surprised to find that the sky is in fact blue and water is wet. Shocking, I know.

I heard nothing but great buzz before going in, which shocked me. I should have known much, much better.

It is currently positive on RT as well. It is a big crowdpleaser, so not sure where it will end up.

big ander

Will most definitely be seeing Paranormal Activity 3 and The Thing 2011. What can I say, I'm a sucker.

I've already seen Red State. Mediocre at best.
I've also seen Martha Marcy May Marlene, and if every single one of you who has a chance to see it doesn't go, you'll regret it immensely.

Margin Call, In Time, Being Elmo, The Skin I Live In are all things I'd like to see.
lethial said:
What a shitty month for movies.
lol I love this comment every month

big ander said:
I've also seen Martha Marcy May Marlene, and if every single one of you who has a chance to see it doesn't go, you'll regret it immensely.

YES! There is a reason why it is #1 of the month and in my top 3 favorite films of 2011.

big ander said:
lol I love this comment every month

Last month (which was insanely good) we got even more! I'm curious if anyone saying that actually knows the films (i.e. even watch the trailers, etc.)

overcast

Hmm not as good as last month, but pretty good.
The Ides of March- Looks solid so I'll catch that.
The Rum Diary- A Johnny Depp movie that actually looks interesting? I'll still wait for reviews.
The Thing- Maybe. I have a crush on Winstead, and the movie doesn't looks pretty decent.
Martha Marcy May Marlene-I got a big Winter's Bone vibe from this, which isn't too good. Probably because of the actor and the tone of the movie. I will probably watch it when it comes out on blu since it won't release near me.

overcast said:
Martha Marcy May Marlene-I got a big Winter's Bone vibe from this, which isn't too good. Probably because of the actor and the tone of the movie. I will probably watch it when it comes out on blu since it won't release near me.

It is miles ahead of Winter's Bone on just about every level, but also a very different film.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Expendable, use your contacts to find out if/when Cam Archer's incredible looking SHIT YEAR is going to play outside of NYC. I loved his first movie, I love Ellen Barkin, I love what I've read about the sound design in this, and I want to see it very badly god damnit.

overcast

Expendable. said:
It is miles ahead of Winter's Bone on just about every level, but also a very different film.
Okay, I trust you. Also, it does seem to have a more interesting premise based on the trailer. I still doubt it comes out in my city.

big ander

overcast said:
Okay, I trust you. Also, it does seem to have a more interesting premise based on the trailer. I still doubt it comes out in my city.
Yeah, I was a pretty big hater of Winter's Bone. Didn't like it much at all. This is gigantically different.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Cosmic Bus said:
Expendable, use your contacts to find out if/when Cam Archer's incredible looking SHIT YEAR is going to play outside of NYC. I loved his first movie, I love Ellen Barkin, I love what I've read about the sound design in this, and I want to see it very badly god damnit.

My sister loves Wild Tigers I Have Known. Yeah, it finished its run at the IFC Center in NYC in September.

Shit Year is playing in Dallas on the 6th though but yeah, that is far away from Seattle.
http://www.cinemadpresents.com/now-showing/

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
A reminder that Blackthorn will be shown on HDNet Movies Wednesday night, October 5, at 8pm, 945pm and 1130pm.

Drazgul

Movies?! Who has time for movies with all the games coming out. Still haven't even started my New Vegas & all DLC's run either, ahhh!

Blader

Expendable. said:

That's good to hear. Trailer looked good, but I also got a major Winter's Bone vibe from it and I really didn't care for that movie.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Expendable. said:
LLast month (which was insanely good) we got even more! I'm curious if anyone saying that actually knows the films (i.e. even watch the trailers, etc.)

Perhaps they would if you spent 10 minutes adding YouTube links to the OP. :p

Edit: Sorry, I'm blind.

Yeah, I'll chime in on that -- YouTube links would help a lot. all I do is end up typing in the movie titles into youtube when this thread appears. The apple links suck.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Expendable. said:
I replaced them with Apple, not good enough?

Haha, sorry, I missed that (and I did read the OP). You didn't add trailers to the OP of last month's thread so I had thought this month was the same. :p

Edit: Actually, if the Apple trailers still require QuickTime (or QT Lite, QT Alternative, etc.), it wouldn't be a bad idea to add YouTube links, even if they're just to a search for the respective trailer.

timetokill said:
Yeah, I'll chime in on that -- YouTube links would help a lot. all I do is end up typing in the movie titles into youtube when this thread appears. The apple links suck.

I think I'll stick with Apple. You are guaranteed quality and I know they have the most recent trailers. With YouTube it is a crapshoot.

Expendable. said:
I think I'll stick with Apple. You are guaranteed quality and I know they have the most recent trailers. With YouTube it is a crapshoot.
Well, it's your thread.

I'm not going to download and install Quicktime to watch some trailers though. :)

I just saw La piel que habito (The Skin I Live In). Wow. Go see it. Not the best movie in the world but totally caught me be surprise. And I echo expendable. go in blind. I knew nothing and I glad I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom