• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Questions And Answers About The Final Fantasy VII Remake

We haven’t completely transitioned into action, but as our director [Tetsuya] Nomura-san says, Final Fantasy (in terms of action games) is best represented by Dissidia in the current landscape.
Dissidia is the poster child of me coming to terms that Square Enix looks at their games radically different from me, so I guess this is to be expected. I just find it a bit disappointing.

If VIIR-1 comes off as a cheap, underbaked, etc., it's going to hit the sales of the follow-ups hard.

The multi-part announcement convinced me that SE is giving this remake their all. Not that that means the game will be comfortably spread over three installments.
This is true, but it is a double-edged sword that hinges on the premise that their effort will be rewarded with sales. What if the quality and care is there, but it still under-performs? Will they continue to give it their all on a part 2 or 3 if the audience and reception isn't proportional to their expectations? Final Fantasy 13's sequels scaled back production a lot, and it could easily happen here too. In the worst case scenario, they could just stop production and leave the remake project unfinished.

Krammy

Curious if someone could answer, but not having a PlayStation during it's era, did multi-game discs cost (significantly) more?

Thoraxes

Anyone that defends FF7's combat system has to re-adjust their nostalgia goggles; seriously.

Anyway, I think they're on a hiding to nothing with this re-make. No matter what they do, at least half of the fan base will complain (despite wanting this remake for what seems like decades now)

I've replayed it recently and I feel like it still holds up. I didn't find it tedious, and the materia customization always kept my party feeling new and fun every time I got into combat.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Curious if someone could answer, but not having a PlayStation during it's era, did multi-game discs cost (significantly) more?
The disc count itself would have very little to do with the cost. Even back then, printing a disc was very cheap, and it didn't cost significantly more to print a 4 disc game than a 1 disc game.

Now maybe games with FMV and otherwise high production values could ask more for their games.... But I actually don't think they did. Seems to me that most games were at a flat rate of $60 Canadian ($40 American?) back then, unless they were older, specifically budget releases or Greatest Hits.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Most likely yes.

I'm seriously considering waiting for the inevitable complete edition with all parts.

130+ dollars is just too expensive for a remake.
This is a trilogy of 3 different games at full length each. It's not really one $130 game, it's 3 (or more) games at a normal price each released years apart.

I think people are getting way ahead of themselves when they think of the total cost of the whole project. You don't worry about how much it costs to buy 3 movie tickets or 3 Blu Rays when you go to see The Force Awakens, even though that's 1/3rd of a trilogy. You don't calculate the cost of Mass Effect 1-3 when you buy Mass Effect 1.

And those VII remake parts are gonna be released years apart. It's a pretty typical cycle for game sequels... And that's really what this is: a 3 game trilogy. The only difference here is that it's based on the game scenario of one old game when each story event was a fraction of the time and gameplay of what it will end up being in this new modern game.

But good luck waiting for your complete edition. It could literally be a 8-10 years from now, in the form of a 4K or VR collection when the world at large considers the remake episodes to be an old series. It simply won't be some tiny "episode pack" compiled into one like a telltale game a year later. It's going to be a long wait....

I hope they keep Aeris's death in this game. It'd be great for any new players to spend time levelling her up and then witness Sephiroth kill her lol.

I wonder if this "people who like the remake must hate the original, how ridiculous, que injustica" line of thinking will ever die. The refusal to see the millions of acres of space to both appreciate the original and appreciate the need for changes is amazing.

Post is real

A-V-B

I know there are people out there who would be equally dissatisfied with a "fresh coat of paint" straight remake as much as they would be dissatisfied with a "total overhaul" remake.

A lot of the desire for the remake comes from a poorly thought through wish to just "make the game new again". They're really asking for the feeling of being 12 in 1997 again.

No, I think they're asking for a great game that doesn't fly off the rails due to bloat and inappropriate tone.

Widge

Stale literally means it has gotten old. Has nothing to do with original appeal/success.

Indeed. It is one of my all time favourite games. However it needs a whole lot more than a prettifying to be a decent remake. So much wrong in it once you put aside fond past memories and look at it with a contemporary critical eye.

ethomaz

Banned
Anyone that defends FF7's combat system has to re-adjust their nostalgia goggles; seriously.
That is false in my opinion.

The combat system is great and even after two decades looks actual.

It is not about nostalgia because I play turn based games today with the same felling I played 20 years ago.

Koozek

I wonder if this "people who like the remake must hate the original, how ridiculous, que injustica" line of thinking will ever die. The refusal to see the millions of acres of space to both appreciate the original and appreciate the need for changes is amazing.

I know there are people out there who would be equally dissatisfied with a "fresh coat of paint" straight remake as much as they would be dissatisfied with a "total overhaul" remake.

A lot of the desire for the remake comes from a poorly thought through wish to just "make the game new again". They're really asking for the feeling of being 12 in 1997 again.

On-point.

Sgt.peppers

Neo Member
I have confidence in Nomura an co. This is something we've all been asking for and are finally getting. I didn't want a rehash of the old game I wanted a REMAKE! The little we've seen looks great.

I absolutely understand the need to update the old battle system and bring it into the 21st century. However, that doesn't mean it has to shift genres and go full action rpg. To me, it's like remaking Resident Evil 2 and turning it into an FPS, because tank controls are outdated. Ditching turn-based for full on action is just as extreme to me.

Koozek

I absolutely understand the need to update the old battle system and bring it into the 21st century. However, that doesn't mean it has to shift genres and go full action rpg. To me, it's like remaking Resident Evil 2 and turning it into an FPS, because tank controls are outdated. Ditching turn-based for full on action is just as extreme to me.
How often do they have to say it's not fully action-based? From what we saw positioning plays no role, Defend/Guard is a menu command and attacks seem to “lock“ on and follow targets no matter if they're moving. Like FFXII basically, just flashier.

Widge

It is not about nostalgia because I play turn based games today with the same felling I played 20 years ago.

It's not though! The lauded materia system effectively reduces all the characters to "skins" depending on whose limit break you like the best. It is also more effort effective to equip the main materia across your characters and physical attack mash your way through the foes to conserve MP.

If you even level a little bit (I did quite by accident when going through Nibelheim recently) the game becomes a procession where you can just waltz through the bad guys. If you've ever gone through Crisis Core or FFXIII and thought "why I'm thoughtlessly hitting the X button a lot here", then you've got a lot of the FF7 experience too. Loads of materia just isn't worth the bother using in fights as they can be whomped through with a weapon quicker.

There is just so much to address with the game its unreal. Combat has got significantly better throughout the series. FF9 brought roles back in to great effect. FFX-2's dressphere system was vibrant and fluid. FFXIII, much maligned, removed the need for MP entirely.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The second FF7R got announced I was happy since it reopened the chance of the saga getting an ending.

For those of you that, you know, remember that DoC didn't end FF7 at all, but instead opened a bigger can of worms.
FFVII already had an ending. It didn't need the Compilation for one. In fact all the stuff in the Compilation was perfunctory at best.

Simo

As others have said nope. All the same price.

Funny enough when FFVII was first released while I was living in the UK, on launch day I had the full intention of getting MDK since it had launched on the same day and I really dug it on the PC. Plus my exposure to the Final Fantasy games was slim to none and the only stuff I saw for FFVII were the ads in EGM and the cinematic TV commercials they were pumping out all week. There also seemed to be a big buzz about it at school too. lol

So when I get to the store and see both MDK and FFVII there I had a peek at the case and noticed FFVII was on 3 discs plus the store was offering a free controller with purchase. So for the same price as a single disc game (MDK) I'd be getting a free controller AND a game on 3 DISCS! What a steal and content! So I went with FFVII and well...yeah everything changed after that. lol

Can you at least outline what you think is so great about VII's combat? It's just the FF ATB system again, as featured in IV-IX. There's nothing of particular interest or note about it in terms of being turn-based, and IMO, it's about as generic a combat system as a JRPG can have.

If you were talking about a game with special timing on attacks, or something like the Press Turn system, I'd understand. But even back then, when VII came out, I don't think I ever thought "Man, this combat is great!"

Koozek

Can you at least outline what you think is so great about VII's combat? It's just the FF ATB system again, as featured in IV-IX. There's nothing of particular interest or note about it in terms of being turn-based, and IMO, it's about as generic a combat system as a JRPG can have.

If you were talking about a game with special timing on attacks, or something like the Press Turn system, I'd understand. But even back then, when VII came out, I don't think I ever thought "Man, this combat is great!"

This.

Koozek

FFVII is my most favorite game. The last thing I would do is pretend it has the most sophisticated, strategic battle-system. You can button-mash your way trough 90% of the game with normal "Attack". If you want to can play it more creative, yeah, but there's no need.

I remember you from FFXV threads. If you find FFVII's combat deep you can't call FFXV's combat shallow, when you can also button-mash or experiment if you want to, see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV-ANQvMkXg

To be fair, I don't quite remember what your issue with FFXV's combat was in particular. If it's the unresponsivness of attacking, I'd agree to a degree after having played Episode Duscae, but I haven't played Platinum yet, so I won't judge myself. When I played ED a second time after a few weeks the combat felt much better to me, though. Maybe you could give the final game a try.

Yeah, FF6, Ff5, FF4...terrible games with boring combat also (eyeroll).

You could update the ATB to strengthen it up. FFX did this, Dragon Quest does a better job of this (buffs/debuffs/sleep spells etc being actually useful/needed).

You could even make it *look* flashy. For the folks calling out FF12 for inspiration, the whole idea that you do action/RPG for one character while the rest autopilot is what has been wrong with FF games since FF12 launched. Takes the tactical-ness out of it entirely.

I played a good hunk of Xenoblade on 3ds, for example, more despite the combat system. Found it fairly boring like some of you guys find turn-based /ATB. Ugh.

Dissidia is the poster child of me coming to terms that Square Enix looks at their games radically different from me, so I guess this is to be expected. I just find it a bit disappointing.

This is true, but it is a double-edged sword that hinges on the premise that their effort will be rewarded with sales. What if the quality and care is there, but it still under-performs? Will they continue to give it their all on a part 2 or 3 if the audience and reception isn't proportional to their expectations? Final Fantasy 13's sequels scaled back production a lot, and it could easily happen here too. In the worst case scenario, they could just stop production and leave the remake project unfinished.

If they even give a little shit about this doing good and offer good gameplay/lots to explore like what people want....

It will sell, it's freaking FF7. If they offer anything, anything worthwhile at all that can be enjoyed by a large number of people for a good several hours it will sell.

You could update the ATB to strengthen it up. FFX did this, Dragon Quest does a better job of this (buffs/debuffs/sleep spells etc being actually useful/needed).
Yes.

You could even make it *look* flashy. For the folks calling out FF12 for inspiration, the whole idea that you do action/RPG for one character while the rest autopilot is what has been wrong with FF games since FF12 launched. Takes the tactical-ness out of it entirely.

I played a good hunk of Xenoblade on 3ds, for example, more despite the combat system. Found it fairly boring like some of you guys find turn-based /ATB. Ugh.

No for god sakes no.

FF XII had the best of both worlds. You can auto-pilot when you want, and manual play when you want.

There was no forced auto-piloting in FF XII ever.

I'm not even remotely saying FF games are terrible. It's my favorite series.

I'm saying the combat in FF games from I through IX is just kind of "there", and doesn't do anything interesting. You can basically do nothing but attack your way through the vast majority of combat in the first 9 games, including VII. Obviously boss fights will be different, but even then, the depth/strategy is largely based on each game's character growth system, rather than something inherent in ATB combat.

Materia is fine. Espers, jobs, GFs, etc. There are tons of interesting systems present in FF games both old and new. But the combat itself was never interesting (IMO) until XII.

Gunsrs7

Banned
What an extreme dissapointment and shame on the fans and developers that think this is a good idea. It's fair for the true fans to get a remastering of a game they loved and grew up with not a new game. They could have made a new series instead of ruining a game I love

What an extreme dissapointment and shame on the fans and developers that think this is a good idea. It's fair for the true fans to get a remastering of a game they loved and grew up with not a new game. They could have made a new series instead of ruining a game I love

Its not a remaster though. Its a remake. Big difference.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I just want the shipping-wars to have a definitive conclusion.

#TeamTifa

Hah, i can't wait for the shipping FF7 fandom to be revived after 20 yeas, what a delightful flaming trainwreck that will be!

Felt like Nomura, Nojima and gang were pushing team tifa significantly during compilation, KH2, Dissidia and the like, so i'd expect them to build on that even more for this

"Shame on the people who disagree with me!" Oh please.

Also, this is not a remaster and was never intended to ever be a remaster. This is a full on remake/reimagining of the Final Fantasy 7 story and world. Its not 1997 Final Fantasy 7 to begin with, so saying they are going to ruin a game that already exists and you can go back to anytime is ridiculous.

Koozek

You know the original won't magically disappear from all the digital stores and your old discs won't explode if you put them in your console next year, right?

It's a shame they didn't advise with Gunsrs7 first before jumping dick-first into this remake. Amateurs.

Lightning

Banned
I don't get this logic. It's like some of you wanted the exact same game with prettier graphics but when you have to redo everything just for that to happen it's not realistic. They are not 'ruining' anything as the original will still be around but are merely adjusting to what they consider the future to be. One can't fault them for that.

I'm open minded to that. I refuse to judge anything until I see it in action for myself.

Come on, FFVII is probably my favorite game of all time but things change. Technology changes, same with tastes and market expectations. The only people who are disappointed are purists who can't accept change.

FFVII was released in 1997, it's now 2016. Nothing stopping you from playing the original game or its various re-releases like it was 1997. They also aren't ruining a game you proclaim to love in 2016 where the video game market has changed so much. We can't say they have ruined the game or that it's an extreme disappointment till we are playing the game.

Chances, that first episode, will potentially be a sign of things to come.

ZenTzen

oh god, they're gonna ruin the remake with compilation crap

cant freaking wait for that horrible Zack death scene from CC, or even more freaking Genesis bull and how he ruined sephiroth in nibelheim, or how they are gonna mess even more with Aeriths personality

cant freaking wait for that horrible Zack death scene from CC, or even more freaking Genesis bull and how he ruined sephiroth in nibelheim, or how they are gonna mess even more with Aeriths personality

Might as well just walk away from all of this now, man.
Seriously- anyone that is unable to accept and/or embrace change with this Remake is going to have their hearts ripped out of their bodies.
That goddamn disclaimer should be on the front of the box in neon yellow.

Arkeband

Banned
Yes, FFVII is truly a stale game to play. That's why it was so successful!

Sometimes I wonder if the people who are hyped for this game even liked the original to start with.

Not just successful, Square Enix's most successful game they've ever produced, and the second best selling PS1 game of all time.

As long as the combat retains some turn-based qualities, that's more than I can ask for. But I doubt the room giving a standing O to the announcement trailer were all thinking "fuck yeah make it like kingdom hearts!"

You know the original won't magically disappear from all the digital stores and your old discs won't explode if you put them in your console next year, right?

lol "just play the old one that makes your eyes bleed! And the digital one even has cheats mapped to face buttons that you can accidentally turn on! Best version!"

Rob2K19

Reading through these pages and not one person mentioned(unless my eyes tricked me) this was repeated info that was explained back in December.

"How will the battle system work?

Kitase: “Rather than a command-based battle ensuing when you encounter an enemy, we’re aiming for a seamless active battle, as you can see in the trailer.”

Nomura: “Regarding the battle speed and tempo, for the sake of a stress-free battle, we want to do something on the level of Dissidia Final Fantasy. As far as the degree of action goes, it’s Dissidia Final Fantasy, then Kingdom Hearts, then Final Fantasy VII Remake. There won’t be any actions that require a technique. By using the new system, we want to do action battles while also being able to fight while thinking strategically.”

What about the elements of the original battle system?

Nomura: “In the end, it’s based on Final Fantasy VII, so elements like the ATB gauge and Limit Breaks will appear with new ways to be used. Please look forward to how this game will evolve through the remake.”
Will the story be adjusted at all?

Nomura: “In addition to delving into these episodes more deeply, we’re preparing a number of mechanisms and such. To those who played the original version will know the important parts and understand the story from the beginning to the end. Also for these people, I hope that they can be surprised once again.”
Kitase: “I don’t want the remake to end as something nostalgic. I want to get the fans of the original version excited.We’ll be making adjustments to the story with this feeling in mind.”

Inuhanyou

Tough luck.

I thought Zack's death was very emotional, and CC actually gave Aerith a much more vibrant personality than FF7 had.

I doubt they will focus on Genesis to any significant degree if at all

ZenTzen

Might as well just walk away from all of this now, man.
Seriously- anyone that is unable to accept and/or embrace change with this Remake is going to have their hearts ripped out of their bodies.
That goddamn disclaimer should be on the front of the box in neon yellow.

i'm willing to embrace change, i think the news about expanding on characters in FF7 was great, like biggs, wedge and jessie, if they expand on other characters like shinra, or reeve, that character is in bigg need of development, but you cant honestly tell me that all things Genesis or him being the catalist for Sephiroth going batshit insane was a good plot point added to FF7

or even the way they depicted Zacks death in CC with its le epic last battle and overdramatized last speach, which goes pretty much against how death of characters are depicted in FF7

or even how they made Aerith into this holyer than thou shrine maiden, instead of the spunky, confident, street smart girl depicted in FF7

Tough luck.

I thought Zack's death was very emotional, and CC actually gave Aerith a much more vibrant personality than FF7 had.

it was emotional because we had better models, Cg and voice acting, thats it, the original is far better

and what personality was that they gave to aerith, the one comletely opposite to what she was, or the one where she cant do anything before zack tells her first

Lightning

Banned
I have zero confidence in FFVII story of any shape. With S-E's story telling in general since FFVII has been extremely average at best. Story is never a reason for me to play a FF game as its usually a cluster fuck. Just take a look at FFXIII saga from last gen as their latest example or the disastrous KH story courtesy of Nomura.

My faith in the story being corrected in thus remake is very small based on their output I've seen.

yunbuns

Tough luck.

Eh I hated what they did to Aerith in CC. They took some of her iconic parts of her character and made them all because of Zack.
She sells flowers because Zack suggested it. She wears pink because Zack likes the color. She wears her pink ribbon because Zack bought it for her (even though we saw her wearing ribbons in the flashbacks in the OG. I remember SE, I remember. >.>) She lost a lot of her spunk and kind of just comes off as this defensive angel who needs protecting even though threatened to rip a man's balls off in the OG.

Inuhanyou

or even the way they depicted Zacks death in CC with its le epic last battle and overdramatized last speach, which goes pretty much against how death of characters are depicted in FF7

Expanding on Zack to begin with would 'go against' FF7 because we barely saw anything of him in the original game.

So i think your a bit late with taking issue with the reinterpretation the scene, which a lot of people enjoyed

or even how they made Aerith into this holyer than thou shrine maiden, instead of the spunky, confident, street smart girl depicted in FF7

Did we play different games? I saw nothing significantly different between flower maiden in CC or Flower maiden in FF7. "Holyer than thou shrine maiden"?

it was emotional because we had better models, Cg and voice acting, thats it, the original is far better

According to you. Opinions?

and what personality was that they gave to aerith, the one comletely opposite to what she was, or the one where she cant do anything before zack tells her first

I don't see the difference you are talking about. She was a poor flower girl in FF7 and she was a poor flower girl in CC. I never saw her as deferential to Zack either, so i don't understand what your getting at there either.

Seriously, i think purists get things so clouded some times in order to foe outrage

Inuhanyou

Eh I hated what they did to Aerith in CC. They took some of her iconic parts of her character and made them all because of Zack.
She sells flowers because Zack suggested it. She wears pink because Zack likes the color. She wears her pink ribbon because Zack bought it for her (even though we saw her wearing ribbons in the flashbacks in the OG. I remember SE, I remember. >.>) She lost a lot of her spunk and kind of just comes off as this defensive angel who needs protecting even though threatened to rip a man's balls off in the OG.

Well,
i dont recall Aerith actually having a reason for any of that stuff in the first place you know outside of Nojima's mind? The fact that she held onto Zack for years after he died shows she took a lot of what he said and did to heart anyway.

As for that comedic scene with Tifa and the Don, eh...90s humor.

ZenTzen

Expanding on Zack to begin with would 'go against' FF7 because we barely saw anything of him in the original game.

So i think your a bit late with taking issue with the reinterpretation the scene, which a lot of people enjoyed
i never said anything about not wanting to expand on Zack, just my utter distaste for the horrible depiction of his death in CC, and a lot of people didnt like it as well

According to you. Opinions?
everything here is an opinion, dont see the point of this retort, either way, are you telling me a scene with better character models and voice acting, dont make it far easier to impact someone, and if said scene from the original was remade in a similar fashion and actually be faihful to its original depiction wouldnt have the same result

Did we play different games? I saw nothing significantly different between flower maiden in CC or Flower maiden in FF7. "Holyer than thou shrine maiden"?

I don't see the difference you are talking about. She was a poor flower girl in FF7 and she was a poor flower girl in CC. I never saw her as deferential to Zack either, so i don't understand what your getting at there either.

Seriously, i think purists get things so clouded some times in order to foe outrage

and i ask right back at you, did we play different games? theres a sigiificant difference in her personality from CC and the original FF7

this as nothing to do about being a purist, i actually am looking forward to the remake, but some of this stuff, related to the compilation, is souring me a bit

Inuhanyou

i never said anything about not wanting to expand on Zack, just my utter distaste for the horrible depiction of his death in CC, and a lot of people didnt like it as well

And so...? You don't like the scene. What does that matter to FF7R? They are including what was written in CC since it is apart of the lore. the fact of the matter is, either one gets used to that basic common sense thing, or your really going to be in hell when it comes out

everything here is an opinion, dont see the point of this retort, either way, are you telling me a scene with better character models and voice acting, dont make it far easier to impact someone, and if said scene from the original was remade in a similar fashion and actually be faihful to its original depiction wouldnt have the same result

I said "well I think that zack's deal in CC was a lot more emtional" and you said "no its only cause of the graphics, original is better". Like...what are you refuting of my opinion? I disagree with you, that isn't changing.

and i ask right back at you, did we play different games? theres a sigiificant difference in her personality from CC and the original FF7 this as nothing to do about being a purist, i actually am looking forward to the remake, but some of this stuff, related to the compilation, is souring me a bit

And i never saw it, and i still don't see it. If one wants to argue Zack's importance on her life and what they think it should have been, have at it, but her character itself i never saw as different from her FF7 incarnation in any significant way.

And again, if you don't like compilation, don't buy the game, cause they are going to include what is canonly apart of FF7 lore and has been for years by default into the story. Those complaining, i have no idea what they even expected Nomura and company to do with the lore they created with this kind of project, but you should have seen it coming guys, you should have seen it.

Top Bottom