• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

105,000 gallons of crude oil spill from California pipeline into ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
^The oil lobby is more powerful than environmental lobbies.

Is it me, or does wildlife friggen love oil? Every time there's a spill you get all the little critters splashing around in it. I think they just want to get washed off in that sudsy Dawn goodness.

yeah if wildlife was worth keeping around they wouldnt be stupid enough to do that!

Do we know about the precautions that were in place to prevent/detect oil spills as well as handling a post oil-spill situation?

I'm curious if they tried to skimp on any safety precautions.

Whelp...
3d1a47ac53580715246caea0338a8da3.gif

Pilgrimzero

What a damn shame. I hope they get fined up the ass for this.

That said, am I the only one who has a small part of them that wants to throw a torch on these oil spills whenever they happen?

LOL. The fines are literally cash they can find in the CEOs office furniture cushins.

Blader

What a fucking mess. Hopefully when all's said and done, the execs at Plains are able to take a nice long paid vacation to take their minds off all this, they've more than earned it!

Ke0

Nothing will happen, and nothing will change. It'll be chalked up as an isolated incident, some small million dollar fine will be applied at most, then it's business as usual.

Capitalism trumps laws and repercussions.

Laekon

Not that this isn't a disaster but the beaches in that area aren't pristine. I haven't been to this particular one but many of the beaches around Santa Barbara always have little 1-3" puddles of oil on them. I've never known if it's from the rigs, leaks, or old spills but it's almost always around. The worst place I've seen it is in Carpinteria right next to a seal breeding beach.

whoopdee-fuckin'-doo...

qebn4wi.jpg

lXORqM5.jpg

4hvnDF8.jpg

LPkErUn.jpg

XvIlbCS.jpg

whwQqov.jpg

zqb6Bip.jpg

4RoMGHa.jpg

dead pelican:
dT8goY6.jpg

dying octopus:
2w4W1Gl.jpg

14km (around 8 miles)of shoreline gone to hell (so far). more to come

smh

edit: forgot source
source: Reuters.com

Pretty shitty.

Pipeline company probably cut its maintenance budgets to make that dollar. That's the only reason I can think of for not detecting and containing this early on.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/05/21/california-declares-state-of-emergency-after-oil-pipeline-rupture-fouls-sea-and-beaches-near-santa-barbara/
Judging by the link above, the pipeline company is awful. Only 4 companies had more incidents than them of over a thousand.

As someone working in the industry (for a company with one of the best safety and environmental records in the industry), I hope the government comes down hard on this company. They've been getting away with this kind of shit for a while now, and it was only a matter of time before something catastrophic occurred.

Shitty operators give our industry a bad name, so I hope they're made to pay to fix this much more appropriately than the slap on the wrist that BP got.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
from the current in california

I just saw that I forgot to include a source in my post.

visit reuters for more dying animals(lobsters, more octopi etc).
Grrr hate slideshows, but thanks for the source.

It says those buckets were filled and carried by volunteers. I hope they're just helping the company cleaning up the mess, because if volunteers are doing the work instead of them, that's just fucked up...

KalBalboa

Banned
Pretty horrific. I work in oil out in Boston and we've been talking about this all day today and yesterday. Could've been prevented.

AntoneM

Don't worry. This would never happen to the pipeline that we want to build over the largest aquifer in the US, never ever.

The article makes no mention of how it ruptured in the first place.

What happened?

Edit: In fact I can't find even a hint of a reason for the rupture anywhere.

LOL. The fines are literally cash they can find in the CEOs office furniture cushins.

BP spend over 43 billion dollars (pre-fines from the Clearwater act) to deal with the spills and the legal stuff that came with it.

I think the court is trying to fine BP around $7-15 billion based on the Clearwater Act.

I"m not sure how much BP has but that's a lot of money (unless BP has trillions of dollars)

http://www.ibtimes.com/bp-oil-spill...an-water-act-penalties-over-2010-gulf-1788536

Chaosmidas

Neo Member
Eh?

I work in the industry. I work on the systems. I'm actually lying in my bunk right now on an oil platform.

I'm more than qualified to make that statement.

Best case scenario is that the once valves close the remaining oil between said valves would be lost.

100,000 gallons is less than 20 km of DN600 pipe inventory (i think?)... I don't know how far apart main line isolation valves are in the US but in Australia I don't think it's unheard of to have them more than 10 km apart. So if it was a serious rupture it's possible the control system acted appropriately. There's obviously a problem with the pipeline integrity management system if the pipeline is leaking/rupturing in the first place.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I squish dead fish between my toes, try not to step on any bones
I turn around and I go home
I slip back through my basement door, switch off all that I own below
Dive in my scalding wooden tub
On my beach at night, bathe in my moonlight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom