• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1080p will come to Xbox One games, but at a cost

Chemrihi

Neo Member
http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/19/6045141/diablo-microsoft-resolution

In my opinion, the Xbox One should be running ALL games at 1080p and 60fps. It should be a requirement. If your game doesn't run at 1080p and 60fps...go back to the drawing table.

I'm so sick and tired of the console getting mediocre graphics settings while the PC gets the luxury of tuning the game to fit the gamer's needs. Consoles should get the same treatment.

This kind of logic reminds me of an old co worker I had who cried about PCs getting mods while consoles don't. Him and his friends even started a petition on the PSN forums to stop PC games from getting mods. PCs will always be more versatile and have special options due to them being so different. Consoles have set parameters and are proprietary and that's never going to change. Your choice is to either switch to PCs or accept the constraints set by console manufacturers.

Vestax

Banned
in what way are these two things relevant to each other? Call of Duty Ghosts is a waste of a game and a substandard entry in the series. I wouldn't want to play it in 8K at 1000fps, because it would still be boring. Sure, higher res and higher framerate titanfall would be great, but it's not the same game. What one runs at has nothing to do with the other.

I'm not talking about the gameplay quality of the game. What I'm saying is that Ghosts on the XB1 is not a bad experience, as far as graphics are concerned. This is even though it's 720p on the XB1, but it runs smooth. Thus I'm saying that TF would have been ok at 720p with stable frames and no screen tear.

Gameplay-wise, Ghosts could be better, but it's still not bad IMO.

A lot o things make me angry! ;)

The difference is not generational but the memory and GPU set up in the PS4 is significantly better. You'd have to put a limit on your games PS4 performance if things are looking like parity.

A conscious decision to say 'yeah that's good enough, sweet'.

PS4 owners have made a conscious decision to buy the most powerful platform. I personally think developers are doing them a disservice if they don't take advantage of that power.
oh my gosh... can we stop with this nonsense? 1st party games will take advantage of the more powerful hardware of the PS4. Happy? The PS4 being more powerful than the X1 does not automatically equate to substantially better looking cross-platform games. It doesn't work that way. For one, you're assuming a game sucks if the more powerful hardware isn't maxed out, but both consoles are more than capable - so it's a stupid argument. Is the PS4 more powerful than the X1? Yes. Does that mean games look bad on the X1? No. The consoles have just come out. Perhaps in the future we will see more significant differences, but for now all the whining just reeks of entitlement and ignorance on a level i haven't seen before. I'm surprised people even waste their time with consoles if they're going to get this bent out of shape about parity. There is a solution and it's called a PC. Next time don't buy a console for the sole purpose of lording its graphics over the "lesser" console. I'm going to go play mario kart 8 now.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm pretty happy with my gaming PC. I paid for it, and it performs (or should perform) accordingly. If that somehow makes me a monster, so be it.

oh my gosh... can we stop with this nonsense? 1st party games will take advantage of the more powerful hardware of the PS4. Happy? The PS4 being more powerful than the X1 does not automatically equate to substantially better looking cross-platform games. It doesn't work that way. For one, you're assuming a game sucks if the more powerful hardware isn't maxed out, but both consoles are more than capable - so it's a stupid argument. Is the PS4 more powerful than the X1? Yes. Does that mean games look bad on the X1? No. The consoles have just come out. Perhaps in the future we will see more significant differences, but for now all the whining just reeks of entitlement and ignorance on a level i haven't seen before. I'm surprised people even waste their time with consoles if they're going to get this bent out of shape about parity. There is a solution and it's called a PC. Next time don't buy a console for the sole purpose of lording its graphics over the "lesser" console. I'm going to go play mario kart 8 now.

It is a fact that he PS4 is both more powerful and easier to code for. If there is graphical parity with the XB1 then it means that the developer spent more development resources on the XB1. Aren't XB1 fans greeting bent out of shape because the PS4 version of Destiny is getting more content yet the price is the same for both? That is how PS4 users feel when they discover that the PS4 version gets more of the development dollars. Btw as far as the Destiny thing, Sony is very likely paying for the extra content so it is not the same.

Oh and your comment about wasting time on consoles when it comes to graphics makes no sense. There are more than two levels of quality. You don't have to shop at Neiman Marcus to expect to get better quality clothes than at a thrift store. The PS4 is outselling the XB1 precisely because it is the more powerful console. A comparable situation would be if the PS4 got the exact same NFL integration as the XB1 dispute the fact that the XB1 was marketed as being the preferred console.

rjcc

What I'm saying is that Ghosts on the XB1 is not a bad experience, as far as graphics are concerned.

that's one opinion, but I think it looks like shit. there's very little about it that helps justify playing it on one of the new systems. it just doesn't look good.

It is a fact that he PS4 is both more powerful and easier to code for. If there is graphical parity with the XB1 then it means that the developer spent more development resources on the XB1. Aren't XB1 fans greeting bent out of shape because the PS4 version of Destiny is getting more content yet the price is the same for both? That is how PS4 users feel when they discover that the PS4 version gets more of the development dollars. Btw as far as the Destiny thing, Sony is very likely paying for the extra content so it is not the same.

You have to realise how pathetic that sounds right?
Getting upset because the console you own doesn't get better graphics when it seems like in almost every multiplatform title it has better resolution/performance. Then saying it's justified because extra lines of resolution is essentially missing content and Xbox owners should sympathise because they're missing out with Destiny DLC.

Sorry but come on now.

njean777

To the OP: If you care so much about FPS and Resolution then you should have just built a PC. It is always going to be more powerful than the consoles now.

MMaRsu

Banned
http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/19/6045141/diablo-microsoft-resolution

In my opinion, the Xbox One should be running ALL games at 1080p and 60fps. It should be a requirement. If your game doesn't run at 1080p and 60fps...go back to the drawing table.

I'm so sick and tired of the console getting mediocre graphics settings while the PC gets the luxury of tuning the game to fit the gamer's needs. Consoles should get the same treatment.

So are you saying all Xbox One games should run at low settings ( PC wise ) to ensure a 1080p/60 fps?

Because that's the only way the Xbox One will be capable of getting actual next gen games to run at 1080p/60fps.

MilesTeg

Banned
For me, 360/PS3 assets at 1080p are nothing special. If that's what it's going to take to get 1080p (on either console), and that's what developers intend to do during the course of the generation to hit that magical number (which now has big marketing implications as well), then this will be a very disappointing round of consoles.

MMaRsu

Banned
We all know that PC has no exclusives and that Sony exclusives are the only real exclusives /s

The point was that a 120$ card can already beat the consoles that aren't even on the market for a year. That's embarrassing.

If you have a good PC to accompany that video card.

Because just a video card cant beat shit.

Also, I'd like to see that 120 dollar card run all the ps4 exclusives that are going to come out. In the next few years we'll see massive jumps in graphics on PS4 is my bet.

MMaRsu

Banned
Forza 5 isn't an actual next-gen game ? I think it looks pretty damn good overall.

Not really. It got downgraded bigtime before it came out.

No dynamic lightning, every track looks just the same every time you race it.

No dynamic weather..

And it doesnt even look THAT great.

Oh and your comment about wasting time on consoles when it comes to graphics makes no sense. There are more than two levels of quality. You don't have to shop at Neiman Marcus to expect to get better quality clothes than at a thrift store. The PS4 is outselling the XB1 precisely because it is the more powerful console. A comparable situation would be if the PS4 got the exact same NFL integration as the XB1 dispute the fact that the XB1 was marketed as being the preferred console.
Most people aren't talking about one console being easier to code for over the other, which I concede is a perfectly valid point. Usually the arguments are limited to A is X times more powerful than B, so games on A should look vastly superior, which I don't buy into for cross platform games. I'm also not convinced that the spec difference is why the PS4 sold so well initially outside of the minority of more informed fans. Pricing was a much larger issue in my opinion. Price is such a massive obstacle to overcome for anyone but the most dedicated fans, especially a 100 dollar price difference. Specs aside, I believe pricing played a far more pivotal role. Of course, anyone who is trying to hype up the PS4's spec difference, is naturally going to generalize the sales discrepancy to support their claim. Unfortunately, there's no real way to prove any of our points outside of anecdotal evidence.

omonimo

Banned
Most people aren't talking about one console being easier to code for over the other, which I concede is a perfectly valid point. Usually the arguments are limited to A is X times more powerful than B, so games on A should look vastly superior, which I don't buy into for cross platform games. I'm also not convinced that the spec difference is why the PS4 sold so well initially outside of the minority of more informed fans. Pricing was a much larger issue in my opinion. Price is such a massive obstacle to overcome for anyone but the most dedicated fans, especially a 100 dollar price difference. Specs aside, I believe pricing played a far more pivotal role.

So why Xbone continue to sell less of the ps4, if people don't care about specs? It has the same price. I think the major reason why ps4 sold more, it's because for the better hardware with the better price. I don't think customer are all idiots.

Nymphae

Banned

Lol. It sure is nice to want things. PC gamers pay for that luxury. You're getting what you pay for.

We all know that PC has no exclusives and that Sony exclusives are the only real exclusives /s

The point was that a 120$ card can already beat the consoles that aren't even on the market for a year. That's embarrassing.

How much is the rest of that rig going to run you, if the card itself is already $120? FFS.

So why Xbone continue to sell less of the ps4, if people don't care about specs? It has the same price. I think the major reason why ps4 sold more, it's because for the better hardware with the better price. I don't think customer are all idiots.
The X1 has the same price now... How many people have already purchased a PS4? Do you really think they're going to go back and purchase the X1 also just because the price is now the same? I mean what blockbuster titles have been released for the X1 since the price drop? I said I believe the pricing played a bigger role and I stand by that argument, but like I said earlier, there is no way to prove it. I don't think the customers are all idiots either, but if they have favorite exclusives, a difference in specs is not going to deter a purchase as much as a substantial pricing difference, again, in my own opinion.

geordiemp

The X1 has the same price now... How many people have already purchased a PS4? Do you really think they're going to go back and purchase the X1 also just because the price is now the same? I mean what blockbuster titles have been released for the X1 since the price drop? I said I believe the pricing played a bigger role and I stand by that argument, but like I said earlier, there is no way to prove it. I don't think the customers are all idiots either, but if they have favorite exclusives, a difference in specs is not going to deter a purchase as much as a substantial pricing difference, again, in my own opinion.

Nah...

Xb1 has had some great bundles even before the price cut there were some better value deals for Xb1 'package' than for Ps4.

Everybody knows the Ps4 is a 'stronger' console for playing games, and that's why it is selling better.

You underestimate the importance of running games like COD / BF4 and AC 'better'. People buy 2.0 litre cars as they're faster than 1.6 L, most would probably not know much of a difference most of the time....

If your right, you will know in the next NPD....cant see it myself

joecanada

you know that 1080p don't make graphics good by default? chances are that if you want to go 1080p on xbone you have to lower details and textures

Yes there's so much more to this... You could have sonic in 1080p/ 60 but something like battlefield is going to take more... PC aren't all 400 $ so it's not comparable... You make the best games for an affordable system and you will move units, that's how to make a console until it's proven people want a 800 $ Neo Geo again.... [they don't ]

I can't think of a single console manufacturer who would want to deal with the production and distribution headache of having multiple SKUs that actually had dramatically different hardware capabilities. Kind of defeats the entire point of consoles, which is a standard experience based on defined, affordable hardware.

Panthers

What in the world? People want to be able to adjust graphic settings on a console game? That makes no sense what so ever.

The entire reason console gaming has any sort of merit is because it can be optimized to its maximum potential due to developers knowing exactly what specs their customers will be using.

PCs have an extremely wide array of specs that developers have to account for, and therefore allowing players to adjust settings based on their hardware makes sense.

But if the game is running as best as it can then why allow the player a chance to ruin that because the idea of running 1080p instead of 900p makes them feel superior, when in fact it will hamper the rest of the game substantially. With consoles, we get to see exactly what the developer intended, or at least could achieve as best as possible with $400 hardware.

Top Bottom