• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11-year-old kills himself after texting prank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadin

Sad story of a young kid who fell victim to another kid pranking him into believing something that wasn't true. I can't imagine how parents are able to somehow deal with something like this and go on. Makes me think of my sister and her children and it scares me to no end...

An 11-year-old boy who died last week of injuries suffered in a March suicide attempt will be laid to rest Tuesday.

When Tysen Benz of Marquette, Michigan, hanged himself March 14, he left no note. But his mother, Katrina Goss, says Benz was the victim of a prank that drove him to take his own life.
According to Goss, Benz killed himself after receiving text messages that led him to believe a girl he considered his girlfriend had herself committed suicide.

This quote below baffles me but I guess that's how the law works there. Is it like this in most other states as well?

Asked about the possibility of stronger charges, however, Wiese said they wouldn't "fit the facts."
"Telling somebody they should go do something to themselves is not a crime, even if they go through with it," he said, referring to Michigan law.

CNN article

Additional info, thx DiipuSurotu.

His mom, Katrina Goss, told CBS News on Thursday that her son was ”manipulated" and ”pranked" by a 13-year-old girl, who is not being identified because she's a minor.

”She told him she was going to kill herself and used other friends' social media accounts to put forth further fake proof that she did so," Goss claims. ”He even said he was going to kill himself and she didn't make any attempt to call me or someone else to try to stop him. [His death] should never have happened."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mom-says-social-media-prank-led-to-11-year-old-sons-suicide/

Sad story of a young kid who fell victim to another kid pranking him into believing something that wasn't true. I can't imagine how parents are able to somehow deal with something like this and go on. Makes me think of my sister and her children and it scares me to no end...

This quote below baffles me but I guess that's how the law works there. Is it like this in most other states as well?

CNN article

I don't think that applies in every state, no.

It shouldn't apply in that state.

What a weird prank to pull on this kid. This will surely mess up a lot of lives all around. I would have a hard time living with the guilt. My thoughts are with the parents.

Asked about the possibility of stronger charges, however, Wiese said they wouldn't "fit the facts."
"Telling somebody they should go do something to themselves is not a crime, even if they go through with it," he said, referring to Michigan law.

That's...that's probably something they need to change.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wait, the girl he considered his girlfriend was the one that prank texted him saying she herself was dead?

What

Kadin

Wait, the girl he considered his girlfriend was the one that prank texted him saying she herself was dead?

What
It sounds like it was a different person impersonating the other and telling him she was going to commit suicide. That's what I took from it at least.

Zoe

It sounds like it was a different person impersonating the other and telling him she was going to commit suicide. That's what I took from it at least.

charged that 13-year-old girl with malicious use of telecommunication services and using a computer to commit a crime for sending false reports of her own death to Benz.

Fuck that's sad. I am trying to do everything possible to make sure my son feels comfortable talking to me about issues in his life.

I wonder what that girl thinks of her prank now.

Years and years of therapy.

You are already really messed up to try a prank like that. Probably extra lulz now.

Dyle

Horrible story. It should be a crime, but it might depend on the language used. If they only lied that the girl had committed suicide and did not directly say kys, then there probably isn't a case against them. After my high school had a number of suicides, we were taught about mental health resources and laws around suicide, and the way it was explained, they had to knowingly push them to the edge with intent. Unfortunately without testimony that whoever sent the texts intended for this to happen it would be unlikely to get a conviction.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I kind of understand both sides of this.

As a parent I would be positively furious. I was reading about this the other day as well and it sounds like they didn't even realize he had the phone? Just a sad situation for that family all around...

But as far as law and the state is concerned - if you open the door to filing charges against people just for saying something to someone else that is a... slippery slope. At best.

Dali

That's...that's probably something they need to change.
The article makes it seem like the text was saying she was dead, not that he should kill himself too, so that statement is kinda confusing.

Still I don't think it should be against the law to tell someone to do something and if they do it, it's on you. That completely eliminates personal responsibility.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The article makes it seem like the text was saying she was dead, not that he should kill himself too, so that statement is kinda confusing.

Still I don't think it should be against the law to tell someone to do something and if they do it, it's on you. That completely eliminates personal responsibility.

Like ... i don't even want to go back through my life and think of all the shit i've said in anger that could have potentially gotten me in trouble if your words could so easily land you in jail depending on someones else and their actions.

Inciting someone to violence or self harm with clear malicious intent is one thing but come on ...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I kind of understand both sides of this.

As a parent I would be positively furious. I was reading about this the other day as well and it sounds like they didn't even realize he had the phone? Just a sad situation for that family all around...

But as far as law and the state is concerned - if you open the door to filing charges against people just for saying something to someone else that is a... slippery slope. At best.

Yeah, the kid bought it on their own.

Yeah, reading through the article again, it doesn't seem like she encouraged him to do it too or anything, she just said she's dead. I do wonder if she said she did it because of something he did though?

Weird story.

If that slippery slope is sloping towards less stuff like this happening, maybe the more slippery the better.

I got in a car crash when I was 13 and had a friend tell other people at school I died to see what they would say. You don't really think past the moment when you're young, you don't see the possible consequences.

Kadin

I got in a car crash when I was 13 and had a friend tell other people at school I died to see what they would say. You don't really think past the moment when your young, you don't see the consequences.
Exactly. I was just talking to my best friend the other day about some of the stupid shit we pulled when we were teens and how in those instances, the thoughts of any consequences never crossed our mind. We simply had no awareness of stuff like that in the heat of the moment.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Story all around seems tragic.

Firstly, I'm trying to understand the girl's motive. She was dating this boy, and was pretending to be someone else and act like she committed suicide. There's obviously some issues underlying for her to devise this little scheme (I refuse to call it a prank), but I'm not really sure what her goal was. At best maybe it was honestly just supposed to be a joke, given one in incredibly poor taste. At worst she had some sort of malicious intent, like if she knew the boy had problems or suicidal tendencies, which as they were dating she might of known something more about this. Regardless, I doubt this is the outcome she suspected and it sounds like she may need some therapy to deal with that at such a young age,

Secondly, the boy's story is tragic. I can say I don't think anyone really understands a lot of things at 11, it's an incredibly sensitive age range around there and still in a phase where you're very impressionable. I'm partial to thinking his motives were muddled, but it's hard to say the full extent. He could of been dealing with a lot, maybe depression, it could even be as simple as him wanting to join her as messed up as that is but those years are really confusing. The mother described him as "selfless to a fault," but to me in the context it sounds like he may have been putting others above himself, which might imply he was being raised with the mindset he wasn't as important as others even if he hadn't grown to realize that yet.

Thirdly, I hate to say this but the parent sounds like she wasn't raising her son quite correctly. I understand she's answering questions here and is probably stricken with grief, but everything she's answering makes it sound like she was keeping her son on an absolute leash. It's obvious why he wouldn't tell her anything since she seemed like she was being way too restrictive. Having rules and making decisions and limits makes sense, but with everything here it sounds like she was being too uptight with him so he didn't open up to her and kept things hidden from her. There is a balance between being strict and authoritative and letting a kid be allowed to explore and find their own way.

Fourthly, what the hell Michigan law? Telling someone they should go do something with malicious intent isn't a crime there? Like telling someone on a ledge to jump isn't considered a crime? That needs some serious amending. I know it's a slippery slope and all, but I think there's a bit more needed here.

Fifthly, I hope the family the best. The story says he was the middle of three brothers, and being the oldest of three siblings I can only imagine how much something like this must be wrecking them up. This is all around tragic.

Wereroku

This is wierd something is clearly missing from the story. Also him buying himself a phone just to text with her is crazy dedicated for an 11 year old. But it seems like attributing malice to the girl may be a bit wrong. It doesn't seem like that other case where the girl kept goading the guy to kill himself.

Story all around seems tragic.

Firstly, I'm trying to understand the girl's motive. She was dating this boy, and was pretending to be someone else and act like she committed suicide. There's obviously some issues underlying for her to devise this little scheme (I refuse to call it a prank), but I'm not really sure what her goal was. At best maybe it was honestly just supposed to be a joke, given one in incredibly poor taste. At best she had some sort of malicious intent, like if she knew the boy had problems or suicidal tendencies, which as they were dating she might of known something more about this.

The only think I can think of for the girl was that it wasn't a prank and more that she wanted to be left alone and just came up with a movie plot. Also the article specifically says he considered the girl his gf not that she was that is a pretty specific statement.

gamma

There must have been something wrong with the kid already if that sent him over the edge. An 11-year-old doesn't just hang himself because of a message like that.

Dusk Golem

This is wierd something is clearly missing from the story. Also him buying himself a phone just to text with her is crazy dedicated for an 11 year old. But it seems like attributing malice to the girl may be a bit wrong. It doesn't seem like that other case where the girl kept goading the guy to kill himself.

The only think I can think of for the girl was that it wasn't a prank and more that she wanted to be left alone and just came up with a movie plot.

That was my strongest suspicion as well, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions since of lack of information given on her. My best guess is that it was some sort of break-up attempt, just an extremely poor one.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fourthly, what the hell Michigan law? Telling someone they should go do something with malicious intent isn't a crime there? Like telling someone on a ledge to jump isn't considered a crime? That needs some serious amending.

Why are you outraged by this?

Articles like this need the actual texts included otherwise there is too much left to the imagination and any conclusion other then sadness for the kid are not firmly supported. Let us judge the,communications and determine if they should be actionable or if the legislature should be lobbied for new laws. Less emotion, more facts please.

Metalgus

Banned
The boy must have been deep underlying problems for sure. Back in the day a kid at my High School committed suicide ''because he wanted to know what happened after death''. This doesn't seem like a valid reason to do such a thing at such a young age. Obviously, if you're willing to take your own life, you're having issues with the life you're living.

Dusk Golem

I'm not outraged, though I understand text can come off weird on the internet. More like a raised eyebrow from me. There's various laws in other states about vocal assistance in suicide attempts or being an accomplice through passive means. I understand she's only 13 and I'm not saying to throw the book at her since I doubt this was her intent, but the stated reason is something that seems in need of exploring more as it seems too wide a net to throw and undermines certain crimes that yes, can involve words, especially in terms of suicide.

Hagi

There must have been something wrong with the kid already if that sent him over the edge. An 11-year-old doesn't just hang himself because of a message like that.

I'm not going to say this is normal but eleven year olds aren't exactly that developed emotionally especially with something like this. Really fucked up situation all around.

Chumley

Banned
Whoever did this prank is going to be fucked from guilt for the rest of their lives regardless of how much therapy they do.

Kadin

I can't answer for them but I will say, for myself, I thought there was serious discussion in the past about telling people to kill themselves being very unacceptable. To the point where it's a bannable offense online in my places like gaming forums, social media, etc. But then for it to be perfectly okay (as to it being considered a crime) seems to tell me otherwise. It's confusing for me to be sure.

The boy must have been deep underlying problems for sure. Back in the day a kid at my High School committed suicide ''because he wanted to know what happened after death''. This doesn't seem like a valid reason to do such a thing at such a young age. Obviously, if you're willing to take your own life, you're having issues with the life you're living.

The kid was 11. Kids are still learning to cope with basic life skills let alone a relationship.

diaspora

I can't answer for them but I will say, for myself, I thought there was serious discussion in the past about telling people to kill themselves being very unacceptable. To the point where it's a bannable offense online in my places like gaming forums, social media, etc. But then for it to be perfectly okay (as to it being considered a crime) seems to tell me otherwise. It's confusing for me to be sure.

AFAIK she didn't tell him to kill himself only pretending that she killed herself?

Kadin

AFAIK she didn't tell him to kill himself only pretending that she killed herself?
That may be correct but the basis for this discussion is that telling someone to do something to themselves is not (and should not) be considered a crime. An opinion I don't completely agree with.

Wereroku

The issue is that if you are fighting with someone especially when you are young just yelling at someone to go kill themselves doesn't have the same intent. I know I had a tantrum when I was 10-11 where I told my parents that I hope they died. I of course didn't think that but when you are young your brain is less developed. Mind you I had a stern talking to with my parents after that letting me know not to do things like that but we don't really know either kids family life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom