• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 and 13-Year-Old Girls Raped by two Classmates in Auditorium, Police Say

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

There are some crimes that kids will be kids does not and never will be an acceptable defense. Rape is a serious enough offense they need to be dealt with severely. They need to be locked away from society for awhile which in their case would probably be some sort of mental facility. When they turn 21 put them up for reevaluation and if they are capable of returning to society release them on probation.

Falcs

Banned
They should be locked up for at least 25 years or so.
There is no fucking way at 13 you do not know that rape is wrong.
I don't give a shit that they're considered children still. They knew what they were doing was wrong and they did it anyway. They are a danger to society. Lock them up.

Azulsky

And while they're being "fixed up"?

16 per cent of rapists will rape again within 12 years and almost 50 per cent will commit some other crime within 5 years.

Keeping them on a watch list makes perfect sense.

That study tracks men who had been out of prison for a period of 12 years.

Surely you would concede that intervening with therapy on barely pubescent boys is different than men who have spent over a decade in a prison climate.

16 per cent of rapists will rape again within 12 years and almost 50 per cent will commit some other crime within 5 years.

I'd imagine a high percent of people sent to prison end up committing some other crime within 5 years given that the current prison system is conducive to instilling criminal behavior in people.

They should be locked up for at least 25 years or so.
There is no fucking way at 13 you do not know that rape is wrong.
I don't give a shit that they're considered children still. They knew what they were doing was wrong and they did it anyway. They are a danger to society. Lock them up.

So should 13 year olds be allowed to vote or consent to sex with adults? Serious question.

The problem with that is it's difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. Sometimes fucked up people grow up in relatively normal situations.

This. It's possible that the parents were neglectful but you'd have to think about what would that mean. What kind of neglect is the kind that turns a kid into a killer or rapist? What kind of neglect is the kind that makes someone commit a crime when they're older as opposed to younger? Just saying the parents should be punished due to neglect isn't solid.

Stet

Banned
That study tracks men who had been out of prison for a period of 12 years.

Surely you would concede that intervening with therapy on barely pubescent boys is different than men who have spent over a decade in a prison climate.

The poster I'm talking with doesn't believe in the sex offender registry at all whatsoever.

I'd imagine a high percent of people sent to prison end up committing some other crime within 5 years given that the current prison system is conducive to instilling criminal behavior in people.

Is the current prison system conducive to instilling rapist behaviour in the 16 per cent that do it again?

Kibbles

Terrible. At that age they know the rights/wrongs and consequences of their actions, don't even try and tell me they don't.

Azulsky

The poster I'm talking with doesn't believe in the sex offender registry at all whatsoever.

Is the current prison system conducive to instilling rapist behaviour in the 16 per cent that do it again?

Actually criminal justice studies have shown that harsher punishments actually correlate with increased recidivism.

Dead Man

People rationalize a lot of other crimes based on wants and needs. Sex crimes have no other motive except to hurt someone else. The survivors also suffer much longer than victims of other crimes.

This makes no sense. Many murders are not based on need, and sex is a want. Watch list all criminals or none. This separate sex offender shit is stupid.

Crimes of a sexual nature evokes a stronger feeling of anger and disgust.

Yeah, pretty much. Was hoping Stet had an actual rational argument.

Stet

Banned
This makes no sense. Many murders are not based on need, and sex is a want. Watch list all criminals or none. This separate sex offender shit is stupid.

Murderers serve how much time in comparison? That's a really bad example for you to have pulled.

I'm actually liking this more the more I read it. Our entire criminal justice system is fucked up in a lot of ways but rape is a pretty clear cut crime. These kids had their chance to be good people and they blew it so fuck 'em.

i'd like to know what % of wrongfully convicted people with overturned convictions go back for legit crimes...

Parents who have are overworked and live stressful day-to-day lives are not going to be as emotionally or even physically available for their children as they should be. This can be due to circumstances well beyond their control as they were simply dealt a really shitty hand in life. If we really want to solve these problems we have to address the poverty issue at the core of our society. That's simple fact.

I prefer if they can't take care of their kids correctly, don't have them (or at least not as many), of course enforcing that is impossible.

GhaleonEB

I find the older my daughters get, the more these kind of stories hit home. My oldest is 12 now, and I cannot imagine the aguish and rage the victims and their families are experiencing right now.

This was a crime committed by minors, and they should be tried as such. That's not saying they should get a light sentence - it should be severe. But severe with the understanding that we're talking about kids who are not fully developed. I don't really understand the cries to try them as adults - they are not such.

I prefer if they can't take care of their kids correctly, don't have them (or at least not as many), of course enforcing that is impossible.

I agree with the sentiment of a family knowing their limits before having kids, but things can always change. Parents that were in a position to care for a kid at one point in time may not be in the same position years later.

Falcs

Banned
So should 13 year olds be allowed to vote or consent to sex with adults? Serious question.
No. That's different. You're talking about the right to participate in something vs committing a serious crime.
A 13 year old won't be educated enough to understand politics. But they WILL know that rape is seriously wrong, just like murder.

No. That's different. You're talking about the right to participate in something vs committing a serious crime.
A 13 year old won't be educated enough to understand politics. But they WILL know that rape is seriously wrong, just like murder.

As opposed to the vast majority of people over 18?

The human brain isn't even fully developed at 13. There's a difference been knowing right from wrong and fully understanding why something is wrong.

Stet

Banned
Call for increased jail sentences then. :/

Gonna need a citation on that. And it still doesn't impact on the listing all sexual criminals. Lots of eople on the sex offender registries are not rapists.

I didn't say people should be on the sex offender registries if they aren't rapists. I asked in the contexts of people who have committed rape. And increased jail sentences cost more than a watch list and, as many people have said, are apparently tantamount to teaching crime.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) but the reason we try minors in a less severe way than adults is because their brains aren't fully developed and they don't always know right from wrong, or understand the gravity of their choices. And it seems to me at least that we try minors as adults only when the crime is extreme, but that doesn't negate the reason why we try minors as minors in the first place, which is why I don't support trying minors as adults.

Can anyone enlighten me why we should ever try minors as adults?

Falcs

Banned
As opposed to the vast majority of people over 18?

The human brain isn't even fully developed at 13. There's a difference been knowing right from wrong and fully understanding why something is wrong.
It's easier to just let all over 18s vote than to test the entire population to see if their educated enough to vote before allowing them to. At 13, it's extremely unlikely. At 18 you should be educated enough by then.

If you don't understand why rape or murder or something equally asserous is wrong by 13, then your parents should be locked up for being shit.
I could understand if a 5 year old killed someone, but a teenager? No excuse (unless you have a mental illness)

It's easier to just let all over 18s vote than to test the entire population to see if their educated enough to vote before allowing them to. At 13, it's extremely unlikely. At 18 you should be educated enough by then.

If you don't understand why rape or murder or something equally asserous is wrong by 13, then your parents should be locked up for being shit.
I could understand if a 5 year old killed someone, but a teenager? No excuse (unless you have a mental illness)

Good thing that I'm not advocating for them getting no punishment at all. Minors are minors. We're regressing back in time by not treating child criminals as minors.

Panzon

Damn this happened around where I grew up. As bad a rap as the Bronx gets, I cant say I ever heard of kids raping others. Very sad stuff

wrong.

The Criminal
The average age of a rapist is 31 years old.2

52% are white.2

22% of imprisoned rapists report that they are married.2

Juveniles accounted for 16% of forcible rape arrestees in 1995 and 17% of those arrested for other sex offenses.2

In 1 in 3 sexual assaults, the perpetrator was intoxicated — 30% with alcohol, 4% with drugs.3

In 2001, 11% of rapes involved the use of a weapon — 3% used a gun, 6% used a knife, and 2 % used another form of weapon.2

84% of victims reported the use of physical force only.2

Rapists are more likely to be a serial criminal than a serial rapist.

https://rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-offenders

And the "Serial criminal" aspect only comes into play because being arrested and thrown into prison in and of itself makes you more likely to be involved in crime when you're released.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) but the reason we try minors in a less severe way than adults is because their brains aren't fully developed and they don't always know right from wrong, or understand the gravity of their choices. And it seems to me at least that we try minors as adults only when the crime is extreme, but that doesn't negate the reason why we try minors as minors in the first place, which is why I don't support trying minors as adults.

Can anyone enlighten me why we should ever try minors as adults?

In Japan, as far as I know, they NEVER charge minors as adults. There was a 14 year old kid who told his classmate that he saw a turtle in the river. When he get the kid to come over he killed him, cut off his head, and ejaculated on his corpse. While in prison he fell in love with his female counselor and tried to kill her by stabbing her with a pen. He was in prison for 6 years and is out now and nobody knows where he is.

So yeah, stuff like that. Also violent rape which studies have shown people don't grow out of.

They are beyond help. People never recover from jail sentences. I read a story of a guy that did 15 years for second degree murder killed his wife to be just a few days ago.

Amazing what people come up with. Where do these impressions come from, I wonder.

Except a publicly available registry does not make them less likely to rape again.

Also, you realize 16% recidivism rate is lower than almost all other crimes, right? Recidivism rates for all offenses are 40%. Recidivism rates for child offenders are even lower, at between 4% and 10%. If the argument is high recidivism rates, there should be a publicly available registry for ALL crimes.

The simple fact is that sex offender registries has not proven to reduce sexual assault at all.

Here's Human Right Watch's report Raised on the Registry about putting child offenders on the sex offenders registry. You can skip right to the Human Rights and Registration of Youth Sex Offenders part if you want to. Spoiler:
The Human Rights Watch organisation are not fans.

FZZ

Banned
There really should be a system in place that has a psychiatrist evaluate the children to determine if they should be charged as an adult or not. And then from there the court can try the person based on the evaluation. Things like this have no one size fits all situation, it's completely fucked.

Pollux

I know it's unconstitutional but let's bring back chemical castration. Or real castration. I'm fine with either.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Being a child is no excuse for rape. At the very least they should be on the sex offenders registry for the rest of their lives. They have potentially ruined the lives of 2 girls, that should always come with a serious punishment.

~95% of guys manage to figure out that rape is wrong just fine. I have no problem with locking away the other 5%.

I'm actually liking this more the more I read it. Our entire criminal justice system is fucked up in a lot of ways but rape is a pretty clear cut crime. These kids had their chance to be good people and they blew it so fuck 'em.

Maybe we should be looking into preventing these sorts of acts in the first place. Two lives have been scarred and possibly ruined, it doesn't make sense to make it four. Punishment is definately necessary, but I think ya'll a swinging too big a sword considering their ages.

LaNaranja

Seriously, some of you people are fucking disgusting. These are all children we are talking about. If anything where the hell were the school officials that are supposed to be responsible for these children while at school?

malyce

Jail is not a fucking solution. I'm just gonna chalk up some of your posts as emotional. Though it seems like sending people to jail for long periods of time is done more out of anger and vengeance than as a last resort to rehabilitate. Everyone screams longer sentences, but how does that help? I wish all that emotion and anger could be channeled more into preventing these type of things from happening than wanting to punish them for committing such crimes. They're still children, and they didn't raise themselves, so if you're gonna be angry be sure to share some of that anger with the parents too as most of the time they're partly to blame.

kirblar

The study I linked was referenced by RAINN themselves in their College recommendations, and the data is newer than the studies referenced on that page. An individual rape is much more likely to be committed by a serial predator than by a one-time offender.
Maybe we should be looking into preventing these sorts of acts in the first place. Two lives have been scarred and possibly ruined, it doesn't make sense to make it four. Punishment is definately necessary, but I think ya'll a swinging too big a sword considering their ages.
This is the kind of thing where you're going to get bad apples regardless of how much you try and "teach" them otherwise. Obviously, changing culture/values is important, but it will never be a full solution. (Of note: the large decrease in violent crime over the last ~50 years is highly likely to be primarily the result of removing lead from gasoline and paint.)

frostshade

Neo Member
I'm wondering if something is dreadfully wrong with society in general.

School needs to improve their security if a boy was able to rape and have sex multiple times before getting caught though. Especially in an auditorium.

Zee-Row

Banned
Seriously, some of you people are fucking disgusting. These are all children we are talking about. If anything where the hell were the school officials that are supposed to be responsible for these children while at school?

School officials? More like the parents didn't teach them shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom