• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

120/144Hz Thread of Lightboosting Pixel Perfect Headshots

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

FYI: http://acerrecertified.com/scratch-dent/monitors/27/?search_query=&min_price=420&max_price=777

Scratch/Dent Refurb: 27" 1440p IPS(?) [Should just be a Costco model or something] 144Hz. Worth a gamble if you're feeling lucky.
Also Acer's announcement later today, but one of these models already sold out... and another 10 of this model sold in the past hour too. <15 left

yIxrRxV.png

Also Acer event will start at 8am PST, might be why they are dumping these panels.

Kaelan

In order to get 144 hz like on a monitor like ASUS VG248QE can I use HDMI or do I need a different type of cable?

Iorv3th

In order to get 144 hz like on a monitor like ASUS VG248QE can I use HDMI or do I need a different type of cable?

Depends on the monitor. On that one you can use DVI or Displayport, I think HDMI would support it too.

edit: HDMI does not support it.

OuiOuiBa

If you get a DVI cable, make sure it is a dual link cable, otherwise it won't work.
But I would use DP, given the choice.

KiDdYoNe

GAF, I need your help. It's been some time since I was out of the PC Master Race and I won't be back now. However, I'm looking to get a monitor for PS4 Pro only. All I need is a quality + low input lag. I come from 8-years-old-1080p-monitor which I currently usually use. I don't need a 4K one since I'll get a 4K TV in future. Any advice? Price range is +- $300 I guess.

TheExodu5

Banned
Man, I tried showing off ULMB at a LAN to some friends a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I just can't play without G-Sync anymore. Despite the obvious competitive advantage, anything non-gsync just feels stuttery now. Even with no v-sync, things just felt off.

I've been ruined. :(

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
So I want to dip into this.
Have been looking into GSync monitors but there are just 2 very expensive options over where I live and they are 27'' (I want a 24), so that isn't happening.
These are the relatively good priced 24'' options I have:
- Samsung CFG70
- ViewSonic XG2401
- Acer XF240H (about $100 less than the first 2)
- Asus VG248QE (about $100 more than the first 2)

I'm kinda tempted by the Samsung as it's a VA panel, but any pointers are appreciated (I'm also aware they are all freesync so I won't be able to take advantage of that)

So I want to dip into this.
Have been looking into GSync monitors but there are just 2 very expensive options over where I live and they are 27'' (I want a 24), so that isn't happening.
These are the relatively good priced 24'' options I have:
- Samsung CFG70
- ViewSonic XG2401
- Acer XF240H (about $100 less than the first 2)
- Asus VG248QE (about $100 more than the first 2)

I'm kinda tempted by the Samsung as it's a VA panel, but any pointers are appreciated (I'm also aware they are all freesync so I won't be able to take advantage of that)

VG248QE has some garbage colors even when calibrated. I'd avoid tbh, no exp with the others.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
VG248QE has some garbage colors even when calibrated. I'd avoid tbh, no exp with the others.
Good to know as it's the most expensive of the options I have.
If no one has anything bad to say about the Samsung, might as well go for that one.

54-46!

Anyone here who owns / tried the Dell S2716DG? impressions?

Seems like one of the few gaming monitors (27", 2560x1440, 144 hz, TN) that doesn't scream GAMER monitor, which is why I'm interested.

Seems like one of the few gaming monitors (27", 2560x1440, 144 hz, TN) that doesn't scream GAMER monitor, which is why I'm interested.

I have the 24" variant (S2417DG), and I really like it. Colors aren't as vivid as other panels, but still decent, at least to my inexperienced eyes.

Mareg

I just ordered that exact monitor. Did a lot of research. It seems to be the go to monitor for price/performance. It has some issues. None that you would necessarily see while gaming. But for graphic productivity work, I would avoid it.

derFeef

I am jumping on the 144hz (and G-Sync) train pretty soon with the PG279Q. Curious all this will look - 1080 TI is already waiting. Any guides/tips I should look out for?

enewtabie

I bought mine last year in Oct after I built a computer(6700k/1070). I love it. No weird
stands and looks good. No issues.

Has any company fixed the issues of having freesync or G=sync enabled as well as some kind of blur reduction lightboost type option at the same time?

Water

Has any company fixed the issues of having freesync or G=sync enabled as well as some kind of blur reduction lightboost type option at the same time?

If anybody gets it done, it's going to be Nvidia. They have the best researchers in the field, control over the whole hardware chain, and most motivation since they are best positioned to profit from the tech. And if they get this done, they'll be shouting about it from the rooftops since it would be the clearest advantage their tech has over Adaptive Sync.

In other news, I finally got a new 1440p display at work that allowed me to try G-Sync 165Hz and 144Hz ULMB, versus the 120Hz black frame insertion I'm used to on my home display. Just tried a bit of Overwatch and dropped settings low enough that it was comfortably at 170+FPS. Result: at least in a fast, high FPS game like that, I prefer 120Hz with low motion blur to 165Hz G-Sync. Didn't really notice much difference in feel between the 120Hz and 144Hz.

Wallach

Man, I tried showing off ULMB at a LAN to some friends a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I just can't play without G-Sync anymore. Despite the obvious competitive advantage, anything non-gsync just feels stuttery now. Even with no v-sync, things just felt off.

I've been ruined. :(

Haha, yep. G-Sync is a lot like going full SSD for me, once you actually have it in your main kit there is no going back.

X05

Ended up getting the Samsung 24'' CFG70.

I don't think I can go back to lesser refresh rates.

Also it came with a Color Calibration Report which is a nice plus.

taoofjord

So I'm assuming if you want a new 120/144hz, 1440/4K, GSync monitor with HDR for under $1000, it'll be about another year or so? I'm not sure whether I should wait or not. I'd really love to see the benefit of the above, but if HDR within reach it feels wrong to buy a new monitor now. :(

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I bought the Viewsonic XG2401 a couple of weeks ago and I've been very happy with it, most reviews mentioned it as the best 1080p/24" offering and I can see why. Even in such a short time going back to 60Hz feels so awful, like when I play games on my TV.

Top Bottom