• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (ATLUS | VanilaWare) TGS 2017 Trailer

Thud

I thought those uniforms might have been from junior high schoolers.

Kinda like the style they're going for, but I need more than that.

yKFiwgA.png

Is That a JoJo Reference?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
We do now: http://13sar.jp/

It says "Dramatic Adventure" so it's definitely a 2D sidescrolling story adventure game rather than an action or RPG game. Which means we have been seeing actual representative gameplay since the first trailer - we play different characters, walk around, and talk to people and trigger events.

Damn i was expecting something like that but i was still hoping for a more traditional Vanillaware action gameplay :(

Nekster

Re: Male Gaze= More the problem is this being a cheap excuse to get a bunch of naked characters for arbitrary fiction reasons instead of some sort of EVA-plug-suit (which allowed a lot more fun and creativity with a real outfit that complimented character designs).
Eva suits are pure "male gaze"...

DNAbro

We do now: http://13sar.jp/

It says "Dramatic Adventure" so it's definitely a 2D sidescrolling story adventure game rather than an action or RPG game. Which means we have been seeing actual representative gameplay since the first trailer - we play different characters, walk around, and talk to people and trigger events.

Interesting

Still want to see more.

kewlmyc

But Eva suits are pure "male gaze"...

But what she's getting at is that there was at least some creative design put into the plug suits other than just making the characters naked. There's a reason each of the plug suits are easily recognizable even now, 20 years later.

ubercheez

Honestly, I'm still intrigued by the setting and I'm always partially sold on Vanillaware games by default, but I still have no idea how this game actually plays and that worries me. Is there meaty gameplay that they didn't include here for some reason, or is the game really just what the trailer is showing?

Nekster

But what she's getting at is that there was at least some creative design put into the plug suits other than just making the characters naked. There's a reason each of the plug suits are easily recognizable even now, 20 years later.
What bothers her is the "male gaze". And that is not opposed to an original design, but the result is the same if we talk about fem characters, with or without suit.

BigEmil

For those who are wondering, this seems to be the "action" portion of the gameplay.

mrEGrOS.gif
Awesome

If this gameplay is too much for console users to handle (as seen by console users reaction to this most seem intimidated by it not basic enough for them) Atlus should just port this to PC where it will be successful and appreciate good gameplay

Moonlight

Banned
tbh 'dramatic adventure' sounds 100% cool to me considering vanillaware (and george kamitami specifically) tend to tell pretty fucking good stories

BBboy20

Yeah, people are going to be disappointed that they won't get to have mecha action through Vanilliaware, which means this game is going to rely a lot on it's narrative to justify not directly blowing shit up in a Vanilla tour de force.

Korigama

This right here. Pretty much why I thought just having everyone be naked instead was boring.

Gold_Loot

Awesome

If this gameplay is too much for console users to handle (as seen by console users reaction to this most seem intimidated by it not basic enough for them) Atlus should just port this to PC where it will be successful and appreciate good gameplay
Yeah, that must it. Console users just can't figure this kind of thing out. Bring it to PC. Because studies show, that people that play video games on PC's have an easier time with grasping gameplay mechanics. >.>

Awesome

this is one of the most desperate port begs i've ever seen

Awesome

This is the most embarrassing form of port begging m. It's insufferable and self fellating over having a pc lmao

Goldenboy882

Neo Member
When you wanted a Muramasa but all you got was a Grimgrimoire ... and isn't it ironic?

Is it weird that I'm still interested? I've spent what has felt like an eternity waiting for oatmeal, only to be served porridge instead and my response is to ask for a spoon.

Also... stop! I'm lucky that I swallowed my coffee before reading your comment.

Honestly, im fine with it being more of a narrative game, Vanillaware doesnt have to make all of their games the same way. Its pretty to look at and looks interesting.

tjlee2

Neo Member
From Software and Vanillaware are the only two that I'm comfortable with throwing money at. I'm willing to give their games a try even if it's not up my alley or a sure bet. Hopefully a bit more information comes out.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeahhhhh unless we learn more that subvert current expectations, that will be a hard pass. VN + RTS or whatever? Nope nope nope nope nope. Can't stand RTSes to begin with, and VN live and die by the writing, and Vanillaware's stories are all disposable trash with corny writing.

Male gaze as fuck.
That too. It was really obnoxious in Dragon's Crown, I still loved the game but good gods, can they just stop objectifying women (and now, uh, girls?) for like, one game? -_-

Looks good enough to me. At least no big boobed atrocities this time.
Naked teens aren't much better... arguably worse.

tbh 'dramatic adventure' sounds 100% cool to me considering vanillaware (and george kamitami specifically) tend to tell pretty fucking good stories
Wait what lol
Odin Sphere's stories were insufferably pretentious, with almost zero likeable characters (and all of them completely 1-dimensional) and worse, it had tons of unskippable dialogue too. I loved the game for the gameplay, but the story was throwaway nonsense.

Awesome

I wonder how this dude got junior'ed? Anyone knows?
xD

Opa-Pa

Okay, I was very interested in the game's setting and concept, but now turns out it's story-focused and features naked high schoolers? Yeah, sounds like garbage, as if Dragon's Crown hadn't been enough already.

Good shit Kamitani, what a disappointment.

They made a fantastic RTS too.

I've been meaning to play it for years now. I think I might even own it. I just really wanted a Vanillaware quality mech side scroller. I'm sure this will still be something spectacular, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed by this news.

Guymelef

Awesome

What a stupid post.

Top Bottom