• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

150Mhz CPU boost on XBO, now in production

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKayle

Banned
a former dev of a closing studio dismissed by ms (and epic) people can fly said that ps4 is 50% faster in developing time attention

TheKayle

Banned
but you think what Albert Penello is not biased?

you know that albert penello said that ps4 have the edge right?

and again imo this 50% are just bs for fanboys

he started doing specs comparation and then eating his words....explaining he was talking about 50% faster in developing time ...just ridiculous

KidBeta

he started doing specs comparation and then eating his words....explaining he was talking about 50% developing time faster....just ridiculous

Well, you weren't saying this when the XBONE has a theortical edge it was all specs specs from you, what caused the sudden change in perspective?.

TheKayle

Banned
Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's BS (or not).

What? when did he say that?

"1. I am not doing a damage control, but I do want to clarify one thing. But first, yes, devs I know -- and as someone has shown it before in this thread, some other devs already talked about it too -- claim that there's 50% speed difference WHEN DEVELOPING in cross-gen/next-gen PS4/XO games. So there we are, I said it and I stand by it. Notice: WHEN DEVELOPING. It'll become clear in a second."

is just ridiculous..cmon

Dude, you're one of the biggest offenders of joining the fanboy circle jerk, I really don't think you have much room to talk. I don't think anyone believes the PS4 is actually 50% faster than XBox one, but it does seem that it is significantly faster. How much so remains to be seen.

"1. I am not doing a damage control, but I do want to clarify one thing. But first, yes, devs I know -- and as someone has shown it before in this thread, some other devs already talked about it too -- claim that there's 50% speed difference WHEN DEVELOPING in cross-gen/next-gen PS4/XO games. So there we are, I said it and I stand by it. Notice: WHEN DEVELOPING. It'll become clear in a second."

is just ridiculous..cmon

Taking that quote out of context, it very well could be 50% faster before optimization, who knows? Certainly not you.

TheKayle

Banned
Why even engage?

He will talk bullshit and then later when it's revealed that he was making shit up he will just say that his English isn't good so he misunderstood the post.

im more happy if someone say ..i think and i know is 50% faster....end of the story

not someone who launch the rock and then hide the hand...

TheKayle

Banned
Well, you weren't saying this when the XBONE has a theortical edge it was all specs specs from you, what caused the sudden change in perspective?.

ok i think im not explainig myself good

...im not upset coz there could be 50% or more power differences

(and you know i think will end to be a LOTS less)

im uspet coz a dev that (he know) should been taken seriously...is talking like a child

before tweet a msg that is clearly a specs talking

then try to fix explaining (is confused the explanation he try to do) ..was talking about developing time....oh cmon

if u wanna go all out..do it...dont eat ur words back ..or just dont do it

Vizzeh

Banned

he started doing specs comparation and then eating his words....explaining he was talking about 50% faster in developing time ...just ridiculous

Albert is doing PR damage control... did you not see the thread last night here on GAF going ape-shit when a EPIC dev posted on twitter saying ps4 Is 50% faster, then appeared here on GAF, saying this : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80542977&postcount=399

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
im more happy if someone say ..i think and i know is 50% faster....end of the story

not someone who launch the rock and then hide the hand...
You realize that the only reason you are being engaged here on GAF is not because you're an intellectually stimulating poster, but because others don't like to have misinformation stand unchallenged.

TheKayle

Banned
You realize that the only reason you are being engaged here on GAF is not because you're an intellectually stimulating poster, but because others don't like to have misinformation stand unchallenged.

thanks benny i love you too you dont stimulate me either if this can make you happy

Chobel

is just ridiculous..cmon

You're taking that quote out of context, don't pick what what you like and toss everything else. Here's the whole comment.
I think Adrian should jump into the conversation. He does it all the time in his blogs.

Here I am. So...

1. I am not doing a damage control, but I do want to clarify one thing. But first, yes, devs I know -- and as someone has shown it before in this thread, some other devs already talked about it too -- claim that there's 50% speed difference WHEN DEVELOPING in cross-gen/next-gen PS4/XO games. So there we are, I said it and I stand by it. Notice: WHEN DEVELOPING. It'll become clear in a second.

2. Will this change in the future? WIll devs discover some tricks to narrow the gap? Will stuff like XO cloud computing help? Hell if I know. Uhm, maybe? I know that devs -- well, most of them -- will do whatever they can do get you the best games possible. You're going to see a lot of multiplatform games this next gen, just as you've seen them in this gen, so it's in studios' best interest that there's no clear advantage in one version over the other.

3. Does it mean studios will cripple PS4 versions to match XO ones? Not really, do not underestimate the devs. Even if this happens, you will not know that and that's okay. You've never seen most games in their most powerful form anyway (when we work on them on our ninja dev PCs in 1080p 120fps with all the antialiasings and stuff turned on for shits and giggles). But most of the time devs have a target and they meet this target. If it's a multiplatform game, it's designed with this in mind from the start. So maybe it's not maxing out one console while going 100% on the other. Maybe it's 100% on both, but they take extra time for super-extra optimizations on the weaker hardware to make sure things look the same as on the more powerful platform. Etc. etc.

4. So what is that "one thing" I want to clarify, that some people may consider "damage control", but really is just an explanation. Someone mentioned Titanfall, which looks money and enjoys a great hype. Exactly. A great dev will make a great game no matter what's the hardware. Current gen CoDs looks great and it's 60 fps, on both platforms (well, and PC :). To most devs that is just impossible to achieve. And yet...

Think about it this way. X360 is faster than PS3. Not just easier to program on, it's faster overall (although PS is faster/better in SOME areas). And yet no exclusive on X360 looks like The Last of Us. Halo 4 looks great. Gears blew my mind in 2006. And still, the best looking AAA game of this generation belongs to the supposedly weaker platform.

So if you think that the war is over because PS4 is 50% faster TODAY, then you're delusional. This is far from over, and will probably never be over, at least not this upcoming gen.

What he means is that now the difference is 50% maybe in the future it will be less after devs get used to Xbox One.

TheKayle

Banned
You're taking that quote out of context, don't pick what what you like and toss everything else. Here's the whole comment.

What he means is that now the difference is 50% maybe in the future it will be less after devs get used to Xbox One.

50% faster in developing time....he capsed it

im not wrong sorry

his post is confused coz on tweet he was talkign about specs then damage control...just ridiculous

Vizzeh

Banned
i dont think is smart to talk bold if u will end eating your words back

eh? they are not my words, im pointing you towards the EPIC developer that made that post sayings its 50% more powerful, not my own lol - (Note powerful, not developing time, what?)

t7delax.png

Snubbers

Albert is doing PR damage control... did you not see the thread last night here on GAF going ape-shit when a EPIC dev posted on twitter saying ps4 Is 50% faster, then appeared here on GAF, saying this : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80542977&postcount=399

Awesome, so we have definitive proof that we 100% expect 50% less resolution or 50% less fps in every Epic game, or they are deliberately douching the PS4 version and we'll have to boycott them?

**Hugs PS4 Pre-order**

Chobel

50% faster in developing time....he capsed it

im not wrong sorry

his post is confused coz on tweet he was talkign about specs then damage control...just ridiculous

Did you even read that comment? There are other words beside "WHEN DEVELOPING".
And you can't measure development time when you're not even done developing.

TheKayle

Banned
eh? they are not my words, im pointing you towards the EPIC developer that made that post sayings its 50% more powerful, not my own lol - (Note powerful, not developing time, what?)

t7delax.png

he is from people can fly ...a closing studio....they worked on gears judgement

re read what i said...

he can say is 50% or 80% more powerfull ..but pls dont change your words....hours later..saying you was talkign about developing time...

coz it will be clear is biased

TheKayle

Banned
Did you even read that comment? There are other words beside "WHEN DEVELOPING".
And you can't measure development time when you're not even done developing.

this is what you are saying having a uni degree in computer science..maybe i did something of that ....

and developing time for me could mean just ....oh you know the sony dev tools are x10 times better than x1 ..(and we already knew this)

and i repeat ..he talked about power..then changed is mind..is for this reason thats ridiculous

Vizzeh

Banned
he is from people can fly ...a closing studio....they worked on gears judgement

I knew he was from People can fly, I assumed prior EPIC, reguardless, he knows what he is talking about and as a third party he is not tied into PR and has no reason to wipe our eyes. I trust them more than any PR spokesman, the hardware facts just tie up his story, we already knew this.. the other stuff was damage control from Albert etc (altho he seems a great guy) 40%GPU - 10%CPU = 30% Power difference I think some where saying :p ... yeah :)

PS - I see where you are coming from in the above post. I don't necessarily think he means developing time, they are the same architecture, the time developing should be similar (apart from EsRAM tweaking probably? and some other unknowns) - He has probably changed it up a little because he is worried about being SUED, NDA etc.

that i dont like dev (well i should say peoples) that seem want to put the balls out and then eat back what they saying....
He never retracted anything. In fact, he said the power gap should be unsurprising, given the specs we've all heard.
and i repeat ..he talked about power..then changed is mind..is for this reason thats ridiculous
No he did not. In English, saying what you think he meant would be "There's a 50% speed difference in developing." What he actually said was "There's a 50% speed difference when developing." That is the same, in English, as saying, "When developing, there's a 50% speed difference."

Every statement he made is about power.

FeiRR

Banned

To be precise, he left PCF when Epic bought them. There were more people who did that. I never asked them why but I suppose they didn't like the idea of working for a big corporation anymore. Adrian is an indie dev now, his dev company is named The Astronauts and they're developing a title called The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, probably coming to PC but who knows (you should check the trailer, it's definitely not shitty). I think he realized he said too much and this could endanger his possible future relationship with one of the biggest publishers. Well, it's too late now, the beans are spilt. November 22nd came a bit early. All we can do now is watch it burn. Just don't expect anybody to confirm his words, at least not until their games are released. There aren't many people like Cevat Yerli who shit on platforms they release for.

TheKayle

Banned
He never retracted anything. In fact, he said the power gap should be unsurprising, given the specs we've all heard.

guys..he is not saying...

ie.
theres an particles effect

x1 do 5 frame

ps4 do 10 frame (or 7.5)

he capsed and explained

50% DEVELOPING TIME

this mean...to do that particles effect ps4 time of developing are 50% faster than on xb1...

and is reallay confusing coz on his tweeter he was talking about specs and power..
so totally yes is retracting and is ridiculous..and seem biased. (as a lots of indie dev against ms)..sorry

Vizzeh

Banned
To be precise, he left PCF when Epic bought them. There were more people who did that. I never asked them why but I suppose they didn't like the idea of working for a big corporation anymore. Adrian is an indie dev now, his dev company is named The Astronauts and they're developing a title called The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, probably coming to PC but who knows (you should check the trailer, it's definitely not shitty). I think he realized he said too much and this could endanger his possible future relationship with one of the biggest publishers. Well, it's too late now, the beans are spilt. November 22nd came a bit early. All we can do now is watch it burn. Just don't expect anybody to confirm his words, at least not until their games are released. There aren't many people like Cevat Yerli who shit on platforms they release for.

Thanks for the overview, really good background there, good read. :)

TheKayle

Banned

is exactly this..

for this reason was ridiculous..or talk or better not expecially if you are a famous dev that will end after 5 mins on gaf

guys..he is not saying...

ie.
theres an particles effect

x1 do 5 frame

ps4 do 10 frame (or 7.5)

he capsed and explained

50% DEVELOPING TIME

this mean...to do that particles effect ps4 time of developing are 50% faster than on xb1...

and is reallay confusing coz on his tweeter he was talking about specs and power..
so totally yes is retracting and is ridiculous..and seem biased. (as a lots of indie dev against ms)..sorry
Read the edited part of my post. He never changed to talking about development time. Notice how those words never appear in his post? He's using the word "when" to mean "during". So during development, when you are making the game, there's a 50% speed difference in the machines.

It's all about power. You are reading it wrong.

TheKayle

Banned
I knew he was from People can fly, I assumed prior EPIC, reguardless, he knows what he is talking about and as a third party he is not tied into PR and has no reason to wipe our eyes. I trust them more than any PR spokesman, the hardware facts just tie up his story, we already knew this.. the other stuff was damage control from Albert etc (altho he seems a great guy) 40%GPU - 10%CPU = 30% Power difference I think some where saying :p ... yeah :)

PS - I see where you are coming from in the above post. I don't necessarily think he means developing time, they are the same architecture, the time developing should be similar (apart from EsRAM tweaking probably? and some other unknowns) - He has probably changed it up a little because he is worried about being SUED, NDA etc.

yes it is..and this is the reason coz is ridiculous :)

not coz he said 50% more powerful..

Vizzeh

Banned
is exactly this..

for this reason was ridiculous..or talk or better not expecially if you are a famous dev that will end after 5 mins on gaf

Exactly I worry for him, hope he didnt break any NDA, or atleast his slight re-wording on GAF is okay, altho he didnt exactly delete his twitter feed, people on GAF feed of info like this and it would be nice if all DEVS where this open, usually they create Alias accounts and post behind them, not use accounts that are tied to them. I wonder on a saturday night, did he maybe have too much vodka... hope he isn't regretting this, this morning.

TheKayle

Banned
Read the edited part of my post. He never changed to talking about development time. Notice how those words never appear in his post? He's using the word "when" to mean "during". So during development, when you are making the game, there's a 50% speed difference in the machines.

It's all about power. You are reading it wrong.

okay it could be but think both version fo the story are valid...and im sure he is a smart guy to know this..

TheKayle

Banned
Exactly I worry for him, hope he didnt break any NDA, or atleast his slight re-wording on GAF is okay, altho he didnt exactly delete his twitter feed, people on GAF feed of info like this and it would be nice if all DEVS where this open, usually they create Alias accounts and post behind them, not use accounts that are tied to them. I wonder on a saturday night, did he maybe have too much vodka... hope he isn't regretting this, this morning.

i dont think he was releasing something on this two console..expecially to xb1...

and this is another point

anyway i realized now there was a thread about it and mods closed it so i think is better to come back on topic

okay it could be but think both version fo the story are valid....
I'm sorry, but there's not two stories here. Let's be clear: your interpretation is wrong, without question. He never changed his story about PS4 having stronger specs and thus more power. He added a lot of detail, but he never changed that.

You're right though, it's getting off topic. I'll stop here.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

t7delax.png
JyD3XjK.png

Edit: The previous image was deceptively edited to omit a post on twitter that makes it less bad. I apologize for not checking twitter myself to confirm this actually took place as portrayed.

goonergaz

TheKayle, it might be down to several factors - your english and the ability to lose things in translation via tweets/emails etc.

I admit I read it as powerful, but look at his wording, firstly he says 'I know it's not all about hardware specs' then he says 'devs are saying 50% speed difference' so he's saying not only is it more powerful it's faster to program than XBO.

His 2nd tweet is to clarify it's PS4 that's more powerful of the 2 (note he doesn't say faster or another speed related word)

as for the topic, again if the XBO was powerful enough MS wouldn't be wasting time and effort tweaking and then making announcements about it.

FeiRR

Banned
Surely thats a tiny bit disrespectful to say that? I like Albert, but with doing a quick google search or wiki, you can find out quite a bit about them, they are now owned by EPIC games and im sure are involved in EPIC's inner circle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_Can_Fly

- it sounds like instead of arguing his point, he has sidestepped him in a "never heard of him" a tiny bit condescending imo.
Albert Penello thought that Europe is a country. I don't think you need any more explanation.

RulkezX

I'd be inclined to believe that Panello maybe hasn't heard of them, given he is a marketing man. But then with him chiming in on the technical nature of both consoles I guess he should probably know which devs have worked for his company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom