• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

150Mhz CPU boost on XBO, now in production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much this. All this move tells me is that they recognize that they have weak hardware and are doing their best to fix it. This is a good thing.

I don't mind a weaker system, but the price is fucking outrageous XB1 should be starting at $350 with kinect, and $275 without it...

iMax

You people at the Xbone team obviosuly have huge production issues in not being able to produce enough units for this holiday season.

PR announcements of extremely tiny spec bumps that probably happened months ago are no reasonable measure of the Xbone's production situation.

Musex1i.gif

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Serious question: where'd you get these numbers from? I've only seen 1.23/1.31 vs 1.84 for the longest time here until today. Is that 1.945 given a PS4 GPU/CPU boost that hasn't been confirmed?

1.31 & 1.84 is just the GPU, the extra is adding the Gflops of the CPU to the total.

hawk2025

Honestly my friend, if you're still trying to hold onto this rumor at this point, it's just grasping at straws.

ESRAM is *embedded* in the GPU. You don't have yield problems with ESRAM embedded in the GPU then increase the frequency of the GPU. When we increased the frequency of the GPU we also increased the bandwidth of the ESRAM, so they are directly related.

I think the best course of action at this point is to simply let the launch speak for itself. :)

If there are absolutely no production issues and the changes in countries released, for example, are simply localization issues as you've stated, we will see that on the sales data.

TheCloser

Banned
C'mon seriously? That was not a shot - only you guys would think that. I was in a meeting on my phone, shot out a quick tweet. Srsly.

Sony haven't announced the CPU speed, as people have noted. Plus - when I take a pot-shot at the competition I'm gonna be way more obvious than that. I'm not a fan of the passive-aggressive.

As I'm sure you've figured out - you don't announce something like this at the same time you're working on it. Obviously this has been in the works, but now that we're in full production we felt OK about announcing it.

Devs should start seeing this soon - so any performance gains were happening on the 1.6 boxes. (everything at PAX was on the 1.6). This is a boost to developers on top of the optimizations going on.

Lastly - can I PLEASE finally get you over this "we're having production issues" thing that's going around? We increased the GPU 6%. We increased the CPU almost 10%. We have been showing retail boxes. We are now in full production.

If at this point these facts don't outweigh random rumors...

Lol at this joke post. This does nothing to change that. Several sources have confirmed production issues and I don't expect you to admit to them. Microsoft isn't known for its honesty. The only way I can see you admitting to such a thing is when you are trying to perfect the Elop effect. Btw, minimal boosts to clock speed is like putting a bandaid over a gash. You should have spent the money on the cup/gpu and not useless info deals and Kinect.

artist

Banned
Honestly my friend, if you're still trying to hold onto this rumor at this point, it's just grasping at straws.

ESRAM is *embedded* in the GPU. You don't have yield problems with ESRAM embedded in the GPU then increase the frequency of the GPU. When we increased the frequency of the GPU we also increased the bandwidth of the ESRAM, so they are directly related.
No, Albert .. I just place more trust in Cboat atm. It's not grasping at straws when he doesnt have anything lose, besides his proven track record.

Yes, the ESRAM is embedded in the GPU and works in tandem. It's just that if you are yielding the same amound of chips at 800 or 853, you can always upclock. Doesnt mean the yield issue goes away. It's clear where we both stand at this point. ;-)

Good for the Xbone team, when can we see the FCC filing btw?

Brashnir

No, Albert .. I just place more trust in Cboat atm. It's not grasping at straws when he doesnt have anything lose, besides his proven track record.

Yes, the ESRAM is embedded in the GPU and works in tandem. It's just that if you are yielding the same amound of chips at 800 or 853, you can always upclock. Doesnt mean the yield issue goes away. It's clear where we both stand at this point. ;-)

Good for the Xbone team, when can we see the FCC filing btw?

They don't "work in tandem." They're the same chip.

Spongebob

Banned
I think the best course of action at this point is to simply let the launch speak for itself. :)

If there are absolutely no production issues and the changes in countries released, for example, are simply localization issues as you've stated, we will see that on the sales data.
He's still yet to provide a chart detailing Kinect voice support for each launch country.

Ding

It's like overclocking a CPU with stock cooler.

It's actually more like underclocking a CPU on a stock cooler, testing it to hell and back, and then deciding to underclock it a bit less.

So, how many extra watts are we talking here? It's a 9% clock boost, and I would imagine the wattage will need to rise more than 9%, since we're approaching the steeper part of the curve. I doubt it's 20% more power, but if it was, that would be what... another 3 watts?

artist was wrong in his post (or at least he was wrong if you read it the way both I and you seem to have interpreted it). The GPU and ESRAM have the same clock speed, thus making his argument invalid. Still, yield issues and a GPU/ESRAM upclock do not necessarily contradict each other. Yield issues due to a too large die size (because of the stupid/conservative engineering decision of DDR3+ESRAM instead of GDDR5) need not necessarily affect the clock speed of the GPU and/or CPU. Edit: This is the point I think artist was getting at even if he didn't make it very well.

REV 09

I respect Albert coming here to voice his opinion but a PR answer is what we got.

I think it's good. I can't really say much more than that. You guys seem to be "piece mealing" this console while your competition has their act together.
All those backhands...this is too good.

Portugeezer

They day one patch isnt finished yet, or do you mean just to remove the online-DRM system? But there will most likely be a firmware update on day 1 regardless. I expect the same with PS4. I imagine that they keep working on the OS after the consoles go into manufacturing.

Online DRM removal.

GPU and CPU clock increase could be in the patch, but it's not, it's being manufactured with the clock increases.

Online DRM removal required you to be online (to patch out) to be able to play offline. Welp, when they flick that switch everyone connected online before so it's not a problem to make it online required as always planned.

nib95

Banned
In fairness, I did hear from a knowledgeable first party that there were some headaches with ESRAM, but going back to my earlier posts on this, or maybe I said this in a pm to a mod, the yield issues were more concerning at one point, but that the situation improved, and they're right where they expected they would be, or something to that effect. I feel too lazy to check my post history. So, even if there were troubles with ESRAM, that didn't necessarily mean they would continue being problems.

It seems they're now in full production and whatever major concerns there may have been are probably all in the rearview mirror by now, and so, technically, when Albert says there's no production issues, he could be right, as when testing various designs and chips, it can't be all that unprecedented that some don't exactly come back as hoped, or the design seems a bit more challenging in the early goings.

This simply can't be true or they'd have more consoles available to pre order in tier one countries and more tier 1 countries at that. If stocks are awry with the pre order numbers as low as they are comparative to the competition, something is off whether Alberto or Microsoft say otherwise or not. Nobody intentionally manufacturers far too low a number of consoles at the behest of giving their rival a massive head start.

I respect Alberto for towing the Microsoft line in the thick of it, but it won't be that easy. The sales/pre order figures and stock numbers will ultimately speak for themselves.

netBuff

Albert Penello is good people, he comes into the fire and we all know he has a job to do but he usually does it with respect.

I don't agree with your premise that Albert Penello is "good people": All I ever saw from him is blatant and meaningless PR, I've never gotten any real insight from his often long-winded posts (I retract my statement of his posts being aggressive, Albert's post history doesn't support this claim)

The only issue I have is that Albert says he's not a fan of being passive aggressive, but a lot of his posts leak with a subtext of bitterness that gamers at neoGAF still believe some rumours over his own word.

There's no reason to "believe in rumours" in regards to the Xbone suffering heavy production issues: The amount of launch countries and features cancelled speak for themselves.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
"PS4 is so powerful!" So why is Killzone running at 30fps and BF4 running < 1080p.

"Great CPU bump for Xbone!" Now enjoy janky Ryse and killer instinct @ 720p.

This gen sucks hard already. Specs are shit.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Even the PS4 filing doesn't have a specific clock speed and only lists a max of 2.75GHz. Don't be fooled by faceless words on the internet ;).
What Giga Hertz range is the wireless in the PS4? That is the clue to your max clock speed you seem to confuse.

The rest of your post is fine, it just looks strange when this is how it ends.

This *is* good news, isn't it?

*looks around*

isn't it?
Yes.

pixlexic

Banned
You guys do not realize what a "tiny" bump like this can really do. even more so on the cpu side.

a 30 mhz bump on my gpu os the difference between a solid 60 fps in crysis2 and sub 50 with all settings up.

abadguy

Banned
You people at the Xbone team obviosuly have huge production issues in not being able to produce enough units for this holiday season.

PR announcements of extremely tiny spec bumps that probably happened months ago are no reasonable measure of the Xbone's production situation.

Obviously a random forum poster knows more about the console's production than someone on the team.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
IIRC 2.75Ghz is the clock speed (WCLK) of the GDDR5 needed to reach the currently published memory specs.

You guys do not realize what a "tiny" bump like this can really do. even more so on the cpu side.

a 30 mhz bump on my gpu os the difference between a solid 60 fps in crysis2 and sub 50 with all settings up.

And yet we're told the extra 0.5Tflop of the PS4 is meaningless, go figure. ;)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
All those backhands...this is too good.

Amir0x noted it better about particular cynicism and MSFT. It's not like they're going to admit anything anyways but as my very first post in this thread said, this is good news. I hope you didn't take what I said as an insult since I said what I meant.

EvB

The reason gamers are skeptical about everything related to MS PR is because they keep changing shit every other day.

Next time round they will be quiet about their plans I'm sure, on the internet a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Hawking said:
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge

hawk2025

He's still yet to provide a chart detailing Kinect voice support for each launch country.

Ugh, you are right.

I don't mean to engage on attempting to discredit how forthcoming he's being (I'm with Amirox on this one, I can see how coming here and juggling how much you can say is a tough job), but that's a little annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom