• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16 y/o teen shot dead by police in Arkansas while carrying a BB gun

Media

Yeah he didn't have a gun and was totally non threatening. Stop looking into it and stop reading my post history. Race has nothing to do with any of my opinions. And I'm not saying the police are absolutely correct in this situation. Im speaking in hypotheticals. "okay but what if he had this or did that". I just don't think we should automatically blame the police because the kid was black. If he were white would you guys even be talking about this?

I think your post history is valid and shows a pattern. There, you were all 'violence is never the answer!' a super upset a dude got his head smacked. Here, you are bending over backward and twisting yourself into knots to defend a child getting his head blown off.

It's interesting to me.

giphy.gif

You have shown no remorse at all that a mother is mourning her baby, and made up imaginary scenarios about what happened, even though there is also a pattern of police violence against black people. And yes, when unarmed white men are killed by police we have threads about it. But it's rare as hell. I don't recall an instance of police killing a white child unless it was a crossfire situation.

Mahonay

Banned
Yeah he didn't have a gun and was totally non threatening. Stop looking into it and stop reading my post history. Race has nothing to do with any of my opinions. And I'm not saying the police are absolutely correct in this situation. Im speaking in hypotheticals. "okay but what if he had this or did that". I just don't think we should automatically blame the police because the kid was black. If he were white would you guys even be talking about this?
If he was white the police would of had a conversation with him instead of shooting him in the head.

Josh378

I wonder how long until the African American community start fighting back with force. See, this needs to be fixed ASAP, or you are going to see the revival of camps like the panther group, vigilantes who will shoot back at cops regardless if they were in the wrong or not.

Verelios

Yeah fuck that one guy that says let's wait for more information to pop up before we make a rash judgement and call the police officers murderers.
I mean...they shot a 16 year old kid in the back of the head. They are, by definition, murderers, yes, so gtfo with that wait for more information shit. If this was a 16 year old white girl you wouldn't be saying this.

olag

Australian white lady shot a couple of days after fucking calling them herself. Hell yea we would still be talking about this if he was white.

Dude discussing hypotheticals is fine but at this point they are redundant, the fact of the matter is that american police have gun issues. Its internationally known so trying to come up with a situation where this murder was justified is kinda useless if not redundent(I realise that slimy would be a better word to use here because its still MURDER!!). Here are the real facts:

A child was shot.
In the back of the head.
There potentially isnt any recording of the incident because the body cam wasn't working(suprise su-motherfucking suprise)
Oh and the child wasn't committing any crime.

Anywhere else this would have been treated as a profesional fuck up but sure lets keep going with hypotheticals and see where it leads us.

LionPride

Banned
I hate to say this, but shit we may have to teach our kids not to play with toy guns. And I say kids even though he was only a year younger than I am because it's an issue period. I know it won't stop a single thing but fuck.

Like, no you can't walk around with the gun in an open carry state and be a minority. It will not end well for us.

Makes me sad

Heroman

Banned
I wonder how long until the African American community start fighting back with force. See, this needs to be fixed ASAP, or you are going to see the revival of camps like the panther group, vigilantes who will shoot back at cops regardless if they were in the wrong or not.
What will that do? Do you remember what happened to the Panther?

Josh378

What will that do? Do you remember what happened to the Panther?

Yes, but this can easily blow up even worse than the panther group. Especially since this government regime is promoting approval to cops to continue this. If peaceful marching doesn't awaken this country of the underlying issues, then battles on the street will.

Mahonay

Banned
Notice the racist institution didn't release his name. When that black cop killed that innocent white woman his name and history was out asap. So yeah the media, cops, and government are racist.
Well. Yeah. Shit is depressing. America is so fucked. We've evolved so little when it comes to race.

Verelios

I hate to say this, but shit we may have to teach our kids not to play with toy guns. And I say kids even though he was only a year younger than I am because it's an issue period. I know it won't stop a single thing but fuck.

Like, no you can't walk around with the gun in an open carry state and be a minority. It will not end well for us.

Makes me sad
Guns have nothing to do with this. If you're black and mentally ill, you shouldn't be anywhere near police presence period. They will shoot/maim/kill you on sight, with no recompense. A white person acting erratically to them is a sign of mental illness, while, a black person acting erratically is a threat to be put down.

Gotta teach our kids the truth.

Guns have nothing to do with this. If you're black and mentally ill, you shouldn't be anywhere near police presence period. They will shoot/maim/kill you on sight, with no recompense. A white person acting erratically to them is a sign of mental illness, while, a black person acting erratically is a threat to be put down.

He was AT a mental health center though, that's what fucking kills me more than anything.

So, forgive my ignorance as I'm white and not American, but WHY isn't police reform an option? Like wouldn't that be the first damn thing on the table after all these cases of innocent men and boys being murdered by cops? Why is nothing being done? Are white people/the government just okay with black men and boys being killed seemingly every other week for no reason? I assume that's a "yes" and god that is depressing.

Police reform isn't an option because the police force and law enforcement/criminal justice is working as designed.

Beefy

Remember Tyree King? Tamir Rice?

Zertez

Hope the people ready to rush to judgement aren't on a jury any time soon. Feel dirty defending the cops, but was the called placed for someone brandishing a gun, there was multiple cops on the scene so the kid was most likely surrounded on a few sides, did they know it was a kid, did they know the gun was a bb gun, was he asked to put the gun down, did he point it at the cops? There is a lot of things we don't know to label them murderers or say it was justified at this time.

I don't care who you are when you think someone is about to shoot you, clear rational thought goes out the window. The US has needed police and gun reform for a long time, but lumping every other police shooting together isnt going to help bring meaningful changes. There are a lot of dirty cops in this area, just look at the WM3 case from the 90s but I'm not going to say they are all dirty.

Beefy

Hope the people ready to rush to judgement aren't on a jury any time soon. Feel dirty defending the cops, but was the called placed for someone brandishing a gun, there was multiple cops on the scene so the kid was most likely surrounded on a few sides, did they know it was a kid, did they know the gun was a bb gun, was he asked to put the gun down, did he point it at the cops? There is a lot of things we don't know to label them murderers or say it was justified at this time.

I don't care who you are when you think someone is about to shoot you, clear rational thought goes out the window. The US has needed police and gun reform for a long time, but lumping every other police shooting together isnt going to help bring meaningful changes. There are a lot of dirty cops in this area, just look at the WM3 case from the 90s but I'm not going to say they are all dirty.

Another one

Police officers should have nothing for training other than hammering home rational thinking in stress situations like this if every single time there is one, oddly enough, the black kid with the fake gun ends up dead.

Heroman

Banned

Like I said if there was 200+ of internalized racism in the Cj system then sure but there is and that can't be overlooked.

Verelios

Curious if you're gonna be back when more information pops up, or if you'll even remember.

Mahonay

Banned

No.

The only situation where it would have been justified would be if he shot real bullets at the cops. But no, they shot him in the head before anything happened. Fuck that shit, it's murder.

Order

Yeah that poor officer was terrified...as he shot a kid in the back of the head.

olag

Why were they surrounding a kid and creating a potentially violent situation?
Why did they approach him in an open carry state?
If there were multiple officers at the scene why did no one not think to talk to the kid instead of brandishing weapons?
Why did no one put two and two together an realise that kid might have belong to that centre?
Why was lethal force their only option?
Why did they shoot him in the back of the head?

At best all of these cops were incompetent and at worst they killed the kid knowingly. Either way they deserve to be lumped together.

Zertez

Curious if you're gonna be back when more information pops up, or if you'll even remember.
If more information comes to light that shows they are guilty, then fire them and take it to trial like it should be. I doubt they would be found guilty in this jurisdiction, but that's another topic. Do most think shots should have been fired before the cops shot back?

If more information comes to light that shows they are guilty, then fire them and take it to trial like it should be. I doubt they would be found guilty in this jurisdiction, but that's another topic. Do most think shots should have been fired before the cops shot back?

Don't waste your breath bro. These guys had there mind decided the second they read the word black in the article. Doubt many of them actually read past that point.

Raiden

Banned
I remember seeing an article where a police officer in Iceland APOLOGIZED to the family of a crazed violent man that was shot dead by police. It was so rare even justified shootings warranted an apology.

Yeah. Here in Belgium people freaked out because they killed a crazed, naked bodybuilder while trying to hold him down with 6 guys. It was all over the news.

So, forgive my ignorance as I'm white and not American, but WHY isn't police reform an option? Like wouldn't that be the first damn thing on the table after all these cases of innocent men and boys being murdered by cops? Why is nothing being done? Are white people/the government just okay with black men and boys being killed seemingly every other week for no reason? I assume that's a "yes" and god that is depressing.

The USA operates on a pretty decentralized model for many functions, like cops and stuff fall under city and state jurisdictions so you couldn't have the federal government just step in and force them all to change everything one day. Sometimes the feds will step in and threaten withholding of federal funding (for training, etc) but its rare and of course going to be virtually non existent under Trump, since he fully supports whatever cops wanna do.

Change is occurring on a city by city basis, slowly. Many cities are implementing new oversight committees over certain cop functions, police chiefs are being replaced with ones who want to work with the community more, there are literally thousands of stories of how cops are changing across the country. There are over 18,000 police departments in the United States and they all operate independently. In my city for example they changed the police shooting review panel so 3 civilians and 2 cops review every single officer shooting and can recommend criminal charges. The police chief is fully behind reform and they have implemented always on body cams, working more with local communities, etc and officer shootings are down 40% for the year. In other areas nothing has changed and black people get shot a lot.

Police have also been asked to do a lot more in the last few decades, for example in this case it makes no sense to me why cops are being called to a mental health facility. Thats not something they are trained to deal with, nor should they be. Over the last few decades it feels like we turn to cops anytime we have an issue we don't know how to deal with, and thats not a good solution.

Merc_

Don't waste your breath bro. These guys had there mind decided the second they read the word black in the article. Doubt many of them actually read past that point.

I wouldn't talk considering how many times you ignored the fact that the kid was shot in the back of the head in order to keep playing apologist for murder.

Media

cz2GHOe.gif

You are the one making up imaginary ways the cop would be justified in blowing the head off a 16 year old child. You must like violence? Oh wait, violence is never the answer if you are a white preacher threatening school girls with rape and get hit by a black girl. That poor guy, he must have a mental illness, but this thug kid deserved it.

I mean you're being flippant and upset that people are naturally outraged that a mentally ill child was shot to death but hey.

Do you I guess.

It's a yes. They understand that the way things work now works in their favor and have no interest in improving them.

olag

There is absolutely nothing about this situation whether it be its beginning nor its result that informs me that the kid was a direct threat to those around him nor to the policemen otherwise the shots would have have been from directly in front of him from the policeman who viewed his potential weapon as a threat.

The fact that the shot came from behind makes me doubtful that they even tried to communicate with him and any primary statement they make on this is suspect. Discussing hypotheticals at this point would inevitably lead to the same conclusion that your police force is woefully under trained with a large racist undercurrent as numerous studies have already demonstrated.

In conclusion I dont trust American police nor do I take their word at face value as they've been proven to be more concerned with the preservation of their organisation as opposed to their professional integrity.

Heroman

Banned
It as if the color of a person skin is the most thing America, especially when it comes to the CJ system.

GKnight

Banned
No.

The only situation where it would have been justified would be if he shot real bullets at the cops. But no, they shot him in the head before anything happened. Fuck that shit, it's murder.

This is a ridiculous thought.
If someone points a gun at me and I have the opportunity I am going to shoot them, whether they are white, black, Asian, etc.
It's not worth the risk of dying to see if hey, maybe he's just messing around pointing a fake gun at me.

You dont wait until someone shoots at you to shoot back. You'll be dead.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
So you're okay with using force against a non threatening suspect but not okay against one that has a gun?
Carrying a gun is not a crime. Being armed is not a crime. Even if either of those things were, they are not and would not be capital crimes. Even if it was, police are not judges, juries or executioners. You're "waiting for evidence," but the article strongly implies that they got out of the car and started shooting. It states the boy was shot in the back of the head. It makes no mention of police issuing commands or the child disobeying any commands. It says nothing of the child threatening anyone, not from the police, not from anyone working at the center, and not from any other witness. Add to that that the boy was not armed, as BB guns are not weapons.

What is so hard to understand about this?

Media

This is a ridiculous thought.
If someone points a gun at me and I have the opportunity I am going to shoot them, whether they are white, black, Asian, etc.
It's not worth the risk of dying to see if hey, maybe he's just messing around pointing a fake gun at me.

You dont wait until someone shoots at you to shoot back. You'll be dead.

I mean, police in all other civilized countries work that way? Hell, most don't even carry guns. They do just fine.

Top Bottom