• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

17 years later Baldur's Gate 2 is still one of the best rpgs ever made

bati

Yep same here, BG2 is the greatest game of all time imo. Yes games can be prettier, longer etc, but for me BG2 will always be the grand daddy of all rpgs.

I would also recommend underrail and the great Divinty original sin 2 which is a game which comes close to the BG2 greatness.

UnderRail is pretty much my GOAT for turn based games. If you like RPGs with solid system driven combat mechanics (stealth, sound propagation, etc), turn based combat, great build variety, extremely well though out perk and stat system and the synergies derived from it, as well as superb game balance, then UnderRail is THE RPG you should be playing. Sadly it's a little lacking in the social RPG elements, there are barely any roleplaying opportunities available, which is why I didn't mention it to pcg.

Meted

I can't get over the tedium of casting 10+ magic buffs before every battle in old school rpgs like these. What do you guys do to get around that?

bati

I can't get over the tedium of casting 10+ magic buffs before every battle in old school rpgs like these. What do you guys do to get around that?

You only need to buff before the hard fights. Some trial and error is required on first run because you don't know the encounters.

Meted

You only need to buff before the hard fights. Some trial and error is required on first run because you don't know the encounters.
but i can rest in between almost any fight, refreshing my spells, not using them seems like a waste of that classes whole point, why not just be a fighter then

bati

but i can rest in between almost any fight, refreshing my spells, not using them seems like a waste of that classes whole point, why not just be a fighter then

You can't rest everywhere and some quests are time sensitive so you can't afford to sleep too often. Besides, one or two melees are more than enough to handle a horde of low level mooks, you really don't need more. You do however need a varied lineup for the harder content because clerics and mages in particular come with some spells that work as hard counters to some enemy abilities. And unlike in modern games you DO need these spells, unless you like seeing your best fighters get imprisoned for all eternity or something else equally annoying.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
I wish the Infinity Engine D&D games had turn based combat like the old AD&D Gold Box games or Temple of Elemental Evil did.

In party based RPGs where you're in control of so many characters, it just works better and isn't a complete clusterfuck like RtwP tends to be in these games.

You should try not to abuse the rest system. Only use it once per day and try only using the inns for resting too . Makes it a lot more realistic/fun.

Honestly you get so much stuff in these games, there's no need to also abuse the rest system. Makes it too easy then.

Last edited:

Dunki

Jeeeesh after that monologue OP I had to fire up the game and get started yet again! Thank you!
Divinity Original Sin 1 was good but the series really shines with Original Sin 2. It is one of the best western RPGs out there.

Another one I would mention and is certainly overlooked is Pathfinder. Done by a small studio it was filled with bugs at launch but they really woked their asses off. In terms of Baldurs Gate 2 it is the closest you will ever get. there is so much content. You can build a whole Kingdom etc. It will keep you busy and entertained for 100+ hours.

Last edited:
Top Bottom