• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$199 Series S COD on box+ 1 month GPU?

As an unapologetic Xbox Stan, I am so damn tired of watching Xbox miss the easy shots. This is a god damn layup to capture the casuals and get them into the ecosystem.

You run a holiday price promo, ACTUALLY ADVERTISE IT! You have COD marketing rights. Pull a Sony and jam those ads down ppl's throats and make them assume it's an Xbox exclusive now. Just make a call of duty themed cardboard box and put the little white Xbox in there. Put "includes one month of Game Pass Ultimate" on the box for $199.99

The average casual, or their mom, or their uncle and gunna see this shit and be like "oh I guess cod is an Xbox game now, guess I have to buy an Xbox". Even if they know it's on PS they cheapest you're gunna get a PS5 with Cod for is $470.

Sure some ppl will not renew gamepass after that month but Xbox...homies...Phil...my dog...if you're REALLY going to go forward with GP then you need to bet on it and with the stacked lineup at the end of this year, THIS is the time to get users into your ecosystem for dirt cheap. This would sell like hotcakes and would get ppl hooked on GPU for a low buy in.

As an unapologetic Xbox Stan, I am so damn tired of watching Xbox miss the easy shots. This is a god damn layup to capture the casuals and get them into the ecosystem.

You run a holiday price promo, ACTUALLY ADVERTISE IT! You have COD marketing rights. Pull a Sony and jam those ads down ppl's throats and make them assume it's an Xbox exclusive now. Just make a call of duty themed cardboard box and put the little white Xbox in there. Put "includes one month of Game Pass Ultimate" on the box for $199.99

The average casual, or their mom, or their uncle and gunna see this shit and be like "oh I guess cod is an Xbox game now, guess I have to buy an Xbox". Even if they know it's on PS they cheapest you're gunna get a PS5 with Cod for is $470.

Sure some ppl will not renew gamepass after that month but Xbox...homies...Phil...my dog...if you're REALLY going to go forward with GP then you need to bet on it and with the stacked lineup at the end of this year, THIS is the time to get users into your ecosystem for dirt cheap. This would sell like hotcakes and would get ppl hooked on GPU for a low buy in.
I have a bridge to sell to any person who believes that the Series S is a desirable product. If they sold a discless X for 250 with the same offer, I might actually bite.

feynoob

Sad Season 2 GIF by The Boys

Real men sink with their boats.

jm89

0*9Pio3Q-ZC1VkioWD.jpg

El Muerto

They finalized the ABK acquisition back in October 2023, not enough time to run a COD campaign. They'll have a year to get the games on gamepass and then advertise Xbox as the home of Call of Duty. We're about to get Crash Bandicoot on gamepass so it takes time. Mega corporations are so damn slow at doing things.

I have a bridge to sell to any person who believes that the Series S is a desirable product. If they sold a discless X for 250 with the same offer, I might actually bite.
Well not for you but you're far more educated and discerning than the average console pleb. Trust me, 12 year olds don't know the difference and don't even think about the diff between a series s and X. They play cod and Fortnite on their god damn phones for Christs sake. They have no self respect and Xbox should exploit this lol

They finalized the ABK acquisition back in October 2023, not enough time to run a COD campaign. They'll have a year to get the games on gamepass and then advertise Xbox as the home of Call of Duty. We're about to get Crash Bandicoot on gamepass so it takes time. Mega corporations are so damn slow at doing things.
But they are doing a Call of Duty direct on June 9?

GHG

Gold Member
Just give them away for free with a bunch of $1 gamepass coupons.

That won't lead to any more studio closures, no sir.

Nydius

I appreciate your optimism S Sneakysnake but last holiday season they had significantly dropped the price of both the Series S and X across multiple retailers for almost an entire quarter and it barely moved the needle. That was the one quarter out of the last 6 or 7 where they had positive hardware revenue and it was single digit (4%, IIRC).

I think it’s safe to say that everyone who wants an Xbox already has one and there isn’t much room for growth even if they ate an even bigger loss on each unit sold.

I genuinely think their strategy, in part, was to hope people who originally bought a Series S would eventually double dip and buy a Series X when they wanted/needed 4K and an optical drive, but that hasn’t panned out the way they hoped.

Unknown?

They should be doing something like this, but make it 12 months of xbox, and a whole bundle of old COD games, and COD custom controller.
Advertise it as basically free after all the "free" stuff.
How about everything is free but the controller costs $199?

rm082e

It isn't going to capture casuals into their ecosystem, and it's not an "easy shot" - they'd just be shoveling money into a furnace for no reason on the units sold. Xbox Series S consoles can regularly be found on the used market for below $200.

It's not a matter of making the hardware cheaper. It's that they need exciting exclusive games, and they don't have them. The only people who have been excited about the Xbox exclusives are the people who are already Xbox Stans. They aren't tempting anyone who has been on PS4/PS5 or PC.

As a One X owner the backwards compatibility would be a downgrade on Series S, so the deal would have to be much sweeter than that to entice me. A £299 cut down Series X would be somewhat interesting

I appreciate your optimism S Sneakysnake but last holiday season they had significantly dropped the price of both the Series S and X across multiple retailers for almost an entire quarter and it barely moved the needle. That was the one quarter out of the last 6 or 7 where they had positive hardware revenue and it was single digit (4%, IIRC).

I think it’s safe to say that everyone who wants an Xbox already has one and there isn’t much room for growth even if they ate an even bigger loss on each unit sold.

I genuinely think their strategy, in part, was to hope people who originally bought a Series S would eventually double dip and buy a Series X when they wanted/needed 4K and an optical drive, but that hasn’t panned out the way they hoped.
I thought of that how it didn't sell last year even when it couldn't be found for 199 sometimes but I'm really banking on the stupidity of the average consumer walking into a GameStop and seeing COD on the box and just buying it haha

It isn't going to capture casuals into their ecosystem, and it's not an "easy shot" - they'd just be shoveling money into a furnace for no reason on the units sold. Xbox Series S consoles can regularly be found on the used market for below $200.

It's not a matter of making the hardware cheaper. It's that they need exciting exclusive games, and they don't have them. The only people who have been excited about the Xbox exclusives are the people who are already Xbox Stans. They aren't tempting anyone who has been on PS4/PS5 or PC.
I'm thinking of them trying to make sure the remaining ppl still using an Xbox one finally make the jump to a series S rather than a Ps5. These ppl obv aren't ready to shell out $500 if they are still gaming on an Xbox one and MS needs to do everything they can to make sure they don't lose these ppl

I don't know, I got a series x and 2 $50 xbox live digital codes for free just for signing up to verizon for internet last November/December and 1 mouth of gp ultimate. I thought that was pretty awesome marketing. Ok, I didn't sign up, someone else did and they gave me the xbox as a gift (I already had verizon). It is my first xbox console ever, i wasn't going to do it unless the price was right, and since sony won't release ps1-ps2-ps3 games on ps4/5 I had to do it for missing some favorites.

More deals like that and a cheaper series x (with disc) and you may get some numbers up. Series x with no disc is a no buy for most, I would hope.

Last edited:
I don't know, I got a series x and 2 $50 xbox live digital codes for free just for signing up to verizon for internet last November/December and 1 mouth of gp ultimate. I thought that was pretty awesome marketing. Ok, I didn't sign up, someone else did and they gave me the xbox as a gift (I already had verizon). It is my first xbox console ever, i wasn't going to do it unless the price was right, and since sony won't release ps1-ps2-ps3 games on ps4/5 I had to do it for missing some favorites.

More deals like that and a cheaper series x (with disc) and you may get some numbers up. Series x with no disc is a no buy for most, I would hope.
Nice!! If you haven't played halo infinite recently go give it another go. It blows my mind ppl are still saying "infinite" sucks because it has evolved into the best fps I've ever played at this point. Enjoy!

feynoob

These have been as low as £169 on Black Friday in the UK. There’s nothing they can do to drum up interest. Even if they give them away at this price, people won’t invest in the ecosystem.
It's a nice cheap device to have, if you aren't in to a candy stuff.

If I wasn't a PC guy, I would have honestly grabbed one by now.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's a nice cheap device to have, if you aren't in to a candy stuff.

If I wasn't a PC guy, I would have honestly grabbed one by now.
It's not terrible device by any means, but it's definitely not an enthusiast device. I use the one GameStop sent me for free in their holiday debacle fairly often. It's clear that Microsoft's strategy was to have Series S be a cheap box as an entry point to game pass. Had game pass worked out as planned it might have been ok as a casual console. But with game pass stalling why would casual gamers want Series S in a world with Nintendo Switch?

feynoob

It's not terrible device by any means, but it's definitely not an enthusiast device. I use the one GameStop sent me for free in their holiday debacle fairly often. It's clear that Microsoft's strategy was to have Series S be a cheap box as an entry point to game pass. Had game pass worked out as planned it might have been ok as a casual console. But with game pass stalling why would casual gamers want Series S in a world with Nintendo Switch?
It's more has to do with switch being shit with 3rd party games.

Had switch had those games, then no one would have wanted this device.

rm082e

I'm thinking of them trying to make sure the remaining ppl still using an Xbox one finally make the jump to a series S rather than a Ps5. These ppl obv aren't ready to shell out $500 if they are still gaming on an Xbox one and MS needs to do everything they can to make sure they don't lose these ppl

Yeah, I just don't think the cost of the hardware is the bottleneck for those players. People who like to play games know how to problem solve when something is important to them. If they wanted a current gen console bad enough, they would find a way to get the money. I don't think they want one bad enough because Microsoft hasn't given them enough reasons.

My brother is in this camp actually. He's been Xbox only since the 360 and he's still on his XO. He hasn't had time to play (working lots of OT and has small kids), so he hasn't moved up to the Series yet. But I'll bet if they had a dozen great exclusives by now, he would have been motivated.

leo-j

Of all Sony's sins, letting the Vita die is the one that stings the most. Incredible piece of kit.
They released a ps vita slim in multiple colors, pushed ps4 compatibility, dropped some unique games on it, it just was overshadowed by the mobile market and to a lesser extent the 3ds.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Lol. Yes. Trying to deceive customers that COD is an Xbox exclusive to make them drop a three figure sum on a console. I can't see that backfiring at all.

It wouldn't work anyway. Microsoft would need to confirm in trailers that COD is on other platforms. There is also nothing stopping Sony confirming via social media that COD is coming to PlayStation.

GHound

This episode of "Real Shower Thoughts from a Fanboy" brought to you by today's sponsor Captain Phil cereal, the only cereal that tastes like you're going third party. Next up on the NeoGAF variety show, "Dr. Moneybags or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Microtransaction." Stay tuned!

Lol. Yes. Trying to deceive customers that COD is an Xbox exclusive to make them drop a three figure sum on a console. I can't see that backfiring at all.

It wouldn't work anyway. Microsoft would need to confirm in trailers that COD is on other platforms. There is also nothing stopping Sony confirming via social media that COD is coming to PlayStation.
Microsoft needs to confirm in the trailers that it's coming to other platforms?! Where have you been? MS and especially Sony constantly promotes trailers that only feature their logo. Sony did it the entire fuckin time that they had marketing rights to cod. Where were you?! What are you talking about?? Sony did everything they could to make casuals think games like COD were playstation only. Stop.

Top Bottom