• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1st 3DS game to offer paid DLC is Theatrhythm Final Fantasy now ?!

xk0sm0sx

Track titles sounds like they are already in the menu but you can't play them...
(Since the game's menu shows 3 tracks per FF series in the demo)

Lothars

I wish the first game would have been Super Street Fighter 3ds, I would love an arcade edition upgrade on the system.

CorvoSol

fuuuuuuu-
you know S-E are going to DLC-Milk it... :(

I'm more afraid they'll go the Dissidia route with DLC for the game. "Hey, do you want this costume that makes Cloud wear his KH threads? And this one that puts Tifa in an Amano costume? And this one that turns Squall into Leon? GO BUY THE GAME 3 TIMES. Want Type-0 Gilgamesh? NOT IF YOU DON'T LIVE IN JAPAN."

B.K.

Square Enix is really planning to milk the game.

Square Enix hopes to release over 50 songs as download content. Eight songs will be available at launch. The DLC list includes songs that the staff had wanted to put in the game but couldn't fit due to capacity limitations.

The game's hardest difficulty setting was handled by the staff members who know their rhythm games, so it has some songs that are extremely difficult.

There are some hidden songs that are unlocked after clearing the game. One example is Final Fantasy VI's final boss music.

The game includes over 70 songs. The music selection is based off music surveys conducted at Square Enix Members during the development of Dissidia, as well as considerations of balance. Hazama joked that if they'd just followed the survey results, the game would have been more like Theatrhythm Final Fantasy VII.

All the included songs are in their original form. The only exception is the Gurugu Volcano theme from FFI, which is based off the PlayStation arranged version because the original Famicom/NES version was too short.

The game outputs at 60 frames per second even when stereoscopic 3D is on. This is something the team worked hard to achieve, because it's necessary for playability in a rhythm game. Event music stages are left at 30 frames per second because of the need to output video, but even here the touch controls are read at 60 frames per second. (Note: I'm not sure if they're saying all event scenes are 30 fps, or just the event scenes with movies are 30 fps.)

Some of the event stages will show their movies in 3D (I'm not sure if this is true for all, but the interview specifically mentions FFX and FFXIII). Making the rhythm gameplay work while playing back a movie presented some high technical hurdles.

When playing the game's four player multiplayer mode, all players receive the record of the best player in the group. This means you can get good items by playing with good players.

Hazama said that he'd of course like to make Theatrhythm into a series. However, there are some internally at Square Enix who want to do the same thing with music from Romancing Saga.

http://andriasang.com/comzyt/theatrhythm_interview/

Looks like the first batch of DLC will be discounted for a unknown period of time:

Andriasang said:
As previously announced, Square Enix will be releasing eight download songs for Theatrhythm Final Fantasy at ¥150 per song. Act quickly, and you'll get somewhat of a discount. To commemorate the game's release, Square Enix said today that the songs will for a limited time cost ¥100 each.

It's unclear how long the lower pricing will last, so buyers may want to act quick (even though the game already ships with 70 songs built in).

Link

Discounts for digital items in a Nintendo plataform? I recall SEGA once discounted some of its Virtual Console games, but this must be the second time something like this happens.

Famassu

Square Enix is really planning to milk the game.
70 songs out of the box. 50 DLC songs for a music game isn't that much, especially given that one FF OST can easily have over 100 songs (though, of course some better suited for music games than others).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
And here's the second batch of DLC, releasing on March 8

Matoya no Doukutsu (FF, field stage)
Battle 1 (FFIII, battle stage)
Archylte Steppe (FFXIII, field stage)
Warera Kitareri (Final Fantasy Type-0, battle stage)

I want more music from VI :/
Edit: I see type 0 there, so they've started to include non numbered FF, Mystical Quest better be next.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I can't find any DLC at all. I use the button in the game's main menu, it connects after a little while and prompts me to use the slide pad to scroll through the songs on the bottom screen. But it's completely empty and has been all the time.

Am I missing something here? Anyone managed to download some of the new songs?

Was there any noise from Square Enix about the first wave of DLC and how well it sold? Thinking about it more, I wonder if the inclusion of Type-0 is a hint of what is to come in the future - non-mainline entries in the series and then eventually other series entirely. Or would they just release, for example, a Dragon Quest version as a separate boxed game?

Was there any noise from Square Enix about the first wave of DLC and how well it sold? Thinking about it more, I wonder if the inclusion of Type-0 is a hint of what is to come in the future - non-mainline entries in the series and then eventually other series entirely. Or would they just release, for example, a Dragon Quest version as a separate boxed game?

They mentioned they would like to do Romance Saga as well. I don't know if DQ has enough memorable songs, but I'm not a big fan of the series.

Famassu

Well, they certainly picked one hell of a song to begin their non-mainline FF DLC songs with. We Have Arrived from Type-0 is an amazing piece of music.

They already mentioned in some interview or the other some weeks ago that with the DLC they would expand outside the mainline FFs. And also that there have been some talks about doing separate Theatrhythm games from other series. The dev team had some people who wanted to do Romancing Saga, though the way it was worded sounded like it wasn't going to happen (at least not next).

Wow! They've already started to offer tracks from other Final Fantasy in the series.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Bought the whole first batch today, but I'll probably download only the XIII/Type-0 music when #2 comes out and buy another 1000 yen point card when #3 hits.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they released new re-arrangements and remixes of fan-favorite tracks as DLC instead of what's probably gonna happen? (Take stuff that should have really been included in the game from the get-go and charge extra for it as a new download.) I hate what DLC has become.

Famassu

Wouldn't it be awesome if they released new re-arrangements and remixes of fan-favorite tracks as DLC instead of what's probably gonna happen? (Take stuff that should have really been included in the game from the get-go and charge extra for it as a new download.) I hate what DLC has become.
If there were no DLC, you would still have "only" gotten the 70 songs that the game has out of the box now (which, mind you, is a hell of a lot of songs for a music game). There's no more space for additional songs, so bitching about DLC gets you nowhere, in this case.

If there were no DLC, you would still have "only" gotten the 70 songs that the game has out of the box now (which, mind you, is a hell of a lot of songs for a music game). There's no more space for additional songs, so bitching about DLC gets you nowhere, in this case.

While 70 is a good number, I'd like to see what the final, confirmed tracklist will be for the Western release. For all I know, it could be an unbalanced number of the Chocobo theme arrangements tossed onto the cart while things like To Zanarkand, Aerith Theme, One Winged Angel, etc left for DLC. Come on, it's not like SE hasn't milked stuff like this before.

Lupin3

Bought the whole first batch today, but I'll probably download only the XIII/Type-0 music when #2 comes out and buy another 1000 yen point card when #3 hits.

How do you buy the songs? No DLC songs are showing for me at all when I follow the in game link at the start menu screen.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
How do you buy the songs? No DLC songs are showing for me at all when I follow the in game link at the start menu screen.
They show for me just fine in that DLC menu accessible from the start screen.
A bit of loading, but no problems there. Are you sure you're wifi is on? ;d

While 70 is a good number, I'd like to see what the final, confirmed tracklist will be for the Western release. For all I know, it could be an unbalanced number of the Chocobo theme arrangements tossed onto the cart while things like To Zanarkand, Aerith Theme, One Winged Angel, etc left for DLC. Come on, it's not like SE hasn't milked stuff like this before.

I'm more worried about English/Japanese versions of songs with vocals esp. concerning FFXIII. The legal rights for that are also the biggest worry in localizing the game.

Famassu

Square Enix has barely jumped on the DLC bandwagon within the last 1-2 years (and they've even had some free DLC for games like Type-0 & 3rd Birthday), so no, I don't really feel like they've milked anything (I haven't really felt shafted or the need to even buy any DLC for any Square Enix game that has had DLC).

Also, To Zanarkand, Aerith's Theme & One Winged Angel are all in the game. Though, given that each FF has more than the ~5-8 good songs they seem to have gotten, it would be impossible to get every fan favorite in.

They already mentioned in some interview or the other some weeks ago that with the DLC they would expand outside the mainline FFs. And also that there have been some talks about doing separate Theatrhythm games from other series. The dev team had some people who wanted to do Romancing Saga, though the way it was worded sounded like it wasn't going to happen (at least not next).

Thanks for that, must have missed that somehow!

Lupin3

They show for me just fine in that DLC menu accessible from the start screen.
A bit of loading, but no problems there. Are you sure you're wifi is on? ;d

So weird. Yeah, the wifi is on. It connects and everything. The top screen says I should scroll through the songs, but the bottom screen is empty.

Been trying 10-15 times now for a couple of days. Nothing... :(

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm seriously tempted to buy some, but might wait until more have been released and hope for cheaper bundles.
I wouldn't expect it to get any cheaper, especially given the lower price per piece until April.

@up
Hard reset 3DS, try other wifi - that's all I can think of right now.

Top Bottom