• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2005 Desktop Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
To kick things off:

Desktopmedium.JPG

UXTheme (which you can't see at work here since I used it for window skinning), Geoshell, and a little Samurize thrown in for fun, thanks to Tre & Co. for pointing me toward a nice new desktop.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Notes on Skinning Apps:

-Geoshell is great, very customizable and nice. The only downside is that it can take way longer to do something simple like resize a bar since you're doing nearly everything in Geoshell's regedit, but the upside is that you can get everything exactly how you want it.

-UXTheme is well, pretty simple since it just takes over Windows' skinning. I just used it for scrll and title bars though as I prefer Geoshell's functionality elsewhere, but I was luck enough to find a Theme that goes well with the Geoshell start bar and my other Geobars.

-Samurize I didn't play around with at all, just stuck a really quick thing on there for my use.

I'd love to have the time to play around with Geoshell and make my own skin, though.

I prefer all these together to my previous Windowblinds approach though, more freedom here (though it takes slightly more work).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's funny that they have about a million programs that will display what Itunes is playing on your desktop or wherever you want it, but nothing for iTunes that I know of.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Every damn year, I swear. :D Resized from 1280X1024.

work_desktop.jpg

warhead

AstroLad said:
It's funny that they have about a million programs that will display what Itunes is playing on your desktop or wherever you want it, but nothing for iTunes that I know of.
Can't help you with that, I don't even have I-tunes, can't see what all the hype is about. I'm still using good old Winamp, I just added the I-tunes icon for that Macfeel, I also use a Safari Icon for IE.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
warhead said:
Can't help you with that, I don't even have I-tunes, can't see what all the hype is about. I'm still using good old Winamp, I just added the I-tunes icon for that Macfeel, I also use a Safari Icon for IE.

I have it b/c of the ipod. Don't really care about my music library enough to give a shit either way though, they all play shit. :p

tedtropy

Ignatz Mouse said:
What's wrong with this picture? I'll give you a hint-- it's along the bottom edge.

That a sly poke at Windows?

Forsete

Gold Member
Ignatz Mouse said:
What's wrong with this picture? I'll give you a hint-- it's along the bottom edge.

He hasn’t locked the taskbar? :p

Here is mine.
bakgrundiii.jpg

I haven’t found any good abstract wallpapers, anyone have a good site they can recommend?

dem

Theres nothing more annoying than people who try to make windows look like osx.. complete with apple logos and all.

Ok well there is more annoying things.. but its still pretty stupid.

tedtropy

dem said:
Theres nothing more annoying than people who try to make windows look like osx.. complete with apple logos and all.

Ok well there is more annoying things.. but its still pretty stupid.

What exactly is annoying about people making their UI look how they like? Alot of people like how OS X looks (myself included), but for various reasons it is impractical for them to own an Apple. So they try to combine the two. But hey, you're right, people's preferences are stupid! LOL!

dem

tedtropy said:
What exactly is annoying about people making their UI look how they like? Alot of people like how OS X looks (myself included), but for various reasons it is impractical for them to own an Apple. So they try to combine the two. But hey, you're right, people's preferences are stupid! LOL!

Yes... your preference is stupid. Thank you for agreeing.

When you have a login screen that says Apple OS X.... IT IS STUPID. YOURE YOURE NOT RUNNING OSX. STOP PRETENDING YOU ARE.
Accept it.

tedtropy

dem said:
Yes... your preference is stupid. Thank you for agreeing.

When you have a login screen that says Apple OS X.... IT IS STUPID. YOURE YOURE NOT RUNNING OSX. STOP PRETENDING YOU ARE.
Accept it.

You're not Larry David! Change your avatar! Teh ghaay!. Give me a break.

I wouldn't go so far as to hex edit the words OS X into dialogs or anything, but I can understand why people would want to emulate some of the visuals in OS X. To each their own.

dem

Its the equivalent of me using a firefox icon for ie.... or using an itunes icon for winamp

its completely retarded
end of discussion

tedtropy said:
That a sly poke at Windows?

No, I just think it's funny you have a picture of a Mac on a windows machine. Especially with all the Mac Zealotry and associated backlash here the last few days. :)

(I use and own both Macs and PCs, no computer religion for me, thanks)

tedtropy

dem said:
Its the equivalent of me using a firefox icon for ie.... or using an itunes icon for winamp

its completely retarded
end of discussion

I use the IGN icon as my shortcut to GAF? How ya like that? Huh?

tedtropy

Ignatz Mouse said:
No, I just think it's funny you have a picture of a Mac on a windows machine. Especially with all the Mac Zealotry and associated backlash here the last few days. :)

(I use and own both Macs and PCs, no computer religion for me, thanks)

I like Apples and PCs. The new Mini Mac is a pretty cool design and an interesting product. And since I can't really have the usual half-naked chick as my desktop at work, I choose to make it an ode to current technology sometimes. There's things about Windows I like, there's things about OS X I like. I know, I know, teh blasphemy! :D

tedtropy said:
I like Apples and PCs. The new Mini Mac is a pretty cool design and an interesting product. And since I can't really have the usual half-naked chick as my desktop at work, I choose to make it an ode to current technology sometimes. There's things about Windows I like, there's things about OS X I like. I know, I know, teh blasphemy! :D

We'll be cast out, or stoned. :)

Since I got a Powerbook recently, many many people have said "I didn't know you were a Mac guy" and I reply "I'm not."

Dujour

Banned
AstroLad said:
That reminds me, mine is a huge jump from last time (which was taken right after a HD crash and I didn't have the time to re-skin Windows yet):

desktop.JPG

Heh.

I just noticed. Dude... tabs.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Serafitia said:
I just noticed. Dude... tabs.

Never used tabs and never will. Old habit; I've been using Mozilla for years, but never the tabs. I think three people in the thread where I posted that old desktop mentioned the same thing, though. Heh.

aston-desktop.jpg

using Aston, I really like it so far especially the little taskbar that opens up on the left side of the screen that you can customize, awesome feature. Much better than default Windows.

Dujour

Banned
I have to hold down the apple key to open a tab with my other hand. All you have to do is middle click.

You asshole. [sobbing]Do it for me!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Serafitia said:
I have to hold down the apple key to open a tab with my other hand. All you have to do is middle click.

You asshole. [sobbing]Do it for me!

No middle-click for me, I'm on a laptop, so I'm even more fucked than you shortcut-wise, I can assure you. No mouse gestures either, whoo!

Coen

desktop0nl.jpg

I know it isn't anymore. I just like the colors. :)
Using Winamp Classic, Windows Blinds and Rainmeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom