• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 National University Rankings - UCSD #1, UC Berkeley #2, UCLA #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GT is NEVER EVER EVER high on these lists EVER.

This all boils down purely to one fact. Graduation Rate. They don't give a fuck if you can't make it. I know a lot of smart people who have gone to other schools where either it's hard to get into, but not near as hard to stay in. OR The school actively tries to make sure everyone graduates.

GT tells you when you walk in look to your left and look to your right. Those two people won't probably be here in a few years. They basically state walking through the door it's sub 50% graduation rate, the whole school knows this, and we could give a fuck. :lol :lol :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
kittel said:
Having been to the highest ranking school and one in the lower tier of OP's list, I'd say it's true :D

Metrics used can be debatable, though
Yeah, metrics area little fuzzy. By research alone in economics, psychology, Computer Science, Math, Physics, Biology, Biomedical Engineeering, and Chemical Engineering (particularly CSci, Physics, and ChemE), the University of Minnesota should probably be in the top 20, if not the top 10 or top 5 (I believe it's the #2 or #3 research institution in the country)

There are of course a lot of people who graduate with various management and marketing degrees though, which probably brings it down, hence why you see similar universities like Madison and Chicago ranked higher.

And what the hell is the University of Florida ranked so high for?

Puddles

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
This assumes that many intelligent but unremarkable people are largely responsible for our easy lives. As someone who's not a genius but goes to school with them and who has easy access to Wikipedia, I'm certain that's not the case.

Also, note how many are financial burdens on their states (no, not all public universities, but, say, California's). I wonder why that's irrelevant. Dartmouth pays its way through.

I just don't think that there's a big enough difference between Harvard/Yale/Princeton students and students from other tier 1 universities to justify the differences in opportunities alloted to their graduates. You're essentially judging people and creating vast differences in their future earning potential based on slight (often nonexistent) differences in their high school accomplishments.

Sure a typical Harvard freshman got a 4.0 GPA and scored close to or above 1400 on the SAT (under the old scoring system, no idea how to calculate the new one), but so did just about everyone at UCLA. So did half of the UC system, in fact. You could take high-level students from UCI, throw them into Harvard, and I doubt they'd struggle at all.

How the hell is A&M number 20? What have they done positive for society? They freakin worship the Bush family. They have a George Bush street, a George Bush Library etc. and they are proud of it! And the sad part is Bush didn't even go to A&M he went to Yale!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Stabby McSter said:
lol really?
Davis has always been one of the top rated UCs, what's the surprise? Seeing the criteria they list, they're pretty high in all of those areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom