• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup Final |OT| Germany defeats Argentina 1-0 after extra time

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNBL

Granted I know little about the details of football, but I thought Netherlands was on the decline? Aren't most of their players getting up there in age?

Germany has such a good pipeline of young players. Plus we"ll have Reus back!
Decline? Only old ones are rvp, robben and sneijder. First 2 will still play during that EC, Not sure about sneijder though.

Santiako

I still can't believe we managed to get in the final haha

Today, Messi becomes GOAT
Today, these 23 men become national heroes
Today, Pachorra becomes god

Linius

Decline? Only old ones are rvp, robben and sneijder. First 2 will still play during that EC, Not sure about sneijder though.

RvP has been so absent lately that I forgot to add him in my post as one of the older players in the squad.

ZQQLANDER

Yeah. I guess "decline" in terms of attacking ability. I don't see them making a final as in 2010 or getting 3rd like they did this year. But like I said, this is given my very general knowledge of international football.

Loomba

If Argentina win the mountains of Brazilian salt and tears will be glorious.

I do want Germany to take it though.

Linius

Yeah. I guess "decline" in terms of attacking ability. I don't see them making a final as in 2010 or getting 3rd like they did this year. But like I said, this is given my very general knowledge of international football.

We have some talent in that department. But I can't expect you to have heard about these guys (yet). Except for the Depay then.

PatBot

But me being Dutch is making it hard to root for the Germans. I do have German blood though, my dad was born there. But since he only lived in Germany for about seven years he thinks about Germany the same way the average Dutcman does. As a kid I once ignored that fact though, I rooted for Germany in 2002 when we weren't there.

Okay, nobody should win, for my peace of mind.

Do as your fellow countrymen do (according to facebook):

Leading into the final match between Argentina and Germany, chatter and polling are just starting to pick up. Current data indicates a trend of global support in favor of Germany (55%-45%). Argentinians obviously support Argentina (95%-5%), Germans support Germany (95%-5%) and the Netherlands lean towards their continental neighbor, and probably against the team that beat them in semi-finals (81% support Germany, 19% Argentina). The Brazilians are stuck between a rock and a hard place: they can either support their regional rival, or the team that just beat them 7-1. In this case, regional history weighs more: 71% of Brazilians support Germany, 29% Argentina. Finally in the US, things are split exactly in half, with 50% supporting each side.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-data-science/world-cup-fan-migration/10152377138198859

ZQQLANDER

We have some talent in that department. But I can't expect you to have heard about these guys (yet). Except for the Depay then.

Good to know.

I just can't see how Germany is going to loose this. Maybe I'm too confident.

aEwLj7N

Germany has performed better but Argentina winning the world cup in Brazil would be hilarious. Not going to take any sides though, may the better team win.

Courage

The only things I'd remove from this World Cup are the Iran - Nigeria match and any time the word "salt" was mentioned.

spekkeh

Banned
Do as your fellow countrymen do (according to facebook):

Leading into the final match between Argentina and Germany, chatter and polling are just starting to pick up. Current data indicates a trend of global support in favor of Germany (55%-45%). Argentinians obviously support Argentina (95%-5%), Germans support Germany (95%-5%) and the Netherlands lean towards their continental neighbor, and probably against the team that beat them in semi-finals (81% support Germany, 19% Argentina). The Brazilians are stuck between a rock and a hard place: they can either support their regional rival, or the team that just beat them 7-1. In this case, regional history weighs more: 71% of Brazilians support Germany, 29% Argentina. Finally in the US, things are split exactly in half, with 50% supporting each side.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-data-science/world-cup-fan-migration/10152377138198859

Yes imma support Deutschland.

Go schland!

Weltmeister Jungs! Bam!

Actually I think Argentina will win. Think about it, even Brazil in meltdown mode was able to score against Germany, but not against Holland.

Elchele

I would probably get expelled from the country if I say this to anyone here but I prefer Germany to win it. I don't really care about neither side, but as Bayern fan I would like Schweinsteiger and Lahm to get their WC trophy, this is their last chance. Also Mueller is awesome.

Blablurn

I would probably get expelled from the country if I say this to anyone here but I prefer Germany to win it. I don't really care about neither side, but as Bayern fan I would like Schweinsteiger and Lahm to get their WC trophy, this is their last chance. Also Mueller is awesome.

I assume you cannot tell this to anyone in your circle? lol

ZQQLANDER

Ouch. There's no need for that. Our team this year sucks. The only difference maker is hurt. Just move on to the next tournament and hope for better days.

Ok. Someone needs to explain to me why (give me a legitimate reason) Brazil and Argentina actively root against each other with such hatred. I would they think they would support each other considering they are neighbors/in the same conference. For instance, I'll always root for B1G teams even if they are rivals of my alma mater.

Santiako

Ok. Someone needs to explain to me why (give me a legitimate reason) Brazil and Argentina actively root against each other with such hatred. I would they think they would support each other considering they are neighbors/in the same conference. For instance, I'll always root for B1G teams even if they are rivals of my alma mater.

Historic rivalry, outside of football both countries love each other.

longdi

Banned
germany will get this

but an argentina win has more pros

+i win big money
+brazil will cry more
+messi vs ronaldo will no longer matter
+messi will get even more lazy and slower
+german golden generation will follow in the flop-steps of england and portugal

spekkeh

Banned
Did Felipao actually have a hand in Brazil 2002 winning? You'd retroactively start to wonder. Yes they won the cup, but they had Ronaldo, -dinho, Carlos, Silva, Rivaldo, (Kaka); and the other big teams from before were collapsing (France imploded, Netherlands didn't even qualify). Maybe then it was just individual quality as well, but in that case, enough quality to win.

Then again, I heard that the qualifications for this tournament were pretty dire before Felipao came on?

spekkeh

Banned
germany will get this

but an argentina win has more pros

+i win big money
+brazil will cry more
+messi vs ronaldo will no longer matter
+messi will get even more lazy and slower
+german golden generation will follow in the flop-steps of england and portugal

Those are some mightily convincing arguments

Historic rivalry, outside of football both countries love each other.

This.

I've been to Argentina 4 times and I've always been treated well by everyone there.
It's basically a sports rivalry that grew in all levels of football.

Brazil saw more success early at world cup level (Pele), but when Brazil was down, Argentina had Maradona and they were up. Then Maradona was gone and Brazil had Romario/Ronaldo/Rivaldo/Ronaldinho and was back up. Now Argentina has the better team and Messi.

Libertadores usually has great matches between teams from both countries.

Argentina has the sucess in the Olympics that Brazil never had.

Also, even tho we have 5 cups and they have 2, the direct matchup is very close with Argentina having a 1 win advantage.

Juicy Bob

Wow. The World Cup Final.

What a ride this tournament has been. Loved every second of it.

Hope that this final is fittingly epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom