• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 UK Retail Software Sales by Platform

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
After seeing the difference between Vita digital and Vita physical in price it's honestly not surprising at how poor it's doing even if I would prefer to go physical most of the time.

I wonder how that's even possible. I must be one of the very last who still buys PC games at retail because my internet speed is nothing to write home about, it's very stable but relatively slow.

I believe the retail version of the Sims & Football Manager charted in the UK PAL Charts

It doesn't, did I claim it did? It only matters when trying to determine the platform with the best lineup of the year :p

That is subjective to begin with since you can have 100 exclusive games but if the market don't care about them it don't matter .
From a software stand point the market cared more about PS4\ X1\ PC multiplats than nintendo exclusive games .
So saying the Wii U had best line up to you is one thing but saying it had best line up for market is something different all together .

I wonder how that's even possible. I must be one of the very last who still buys PC games at retail because my internet speed is nothing to write home about, it's very stable but relatively slow.

Even if PC doesn't have a huge retail base, it still gets titles.

Readin gthe wiki page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_software,

It appears EU wii u got 27 retail titles in the entire year, assuming I counted correctly. And a not insignificant number of those are shovelware junk.

Meanwhile, PC still got retail versions of several of the years big third party titles, and while they probably are small relative to steam sales, they still existed, which is more than you can say for Wii U versions of the games.

Ninja Dom

Nintendo have never been hugely popular in the UK right from the NES. I would assume the OG Gameboy and SNES are Nintendo's best selling consoles.

Even Pokemon and Super Mario isn't particularly popular here.

Nintendo have never been hugely popular in the UK right from the NES. I would assume the OG Gameboy and SNES are Nintendo's best selling consoles.

I uh, what

It's obviously DS and Wii just like everywhere else, although obviously 360 passed Wii relatively early (compared to US)

Bruno MB

Both Nintendo and Super Nintendo shipped 8.6 million units across Europe, Australia and other minor PAL regions. Wii sold 8.4 million units just in the UK.

Game Boy sold 6.63 million units in the UK, whereas Nintendo DS comfortably surpassed the 10 million mark.

No, it did not have best game line up of 2014. It got barely any games, of which few were good. Other platforms got more than 10 times larger game release catalogue, mostly very popular 3rd party software that did not target release on WiiU.

And judging by what was announced so far, 2015 will remain the same for WiiU. Very few games that are mostly created by Nintendo for their smaller and smaller core audience.

But Mario Kart 8 was the game of the year!

*hugs Wii U*

UK is price conscious. Nintendo games do not drop in price over time on the same scale as PS and Xbox games.

You can't jump in mid-gen or at the end of the gen and buy a load of cheap software.

Also FIFA and Call of Duty conscious. The Wii U doesn't have the most recent iteration of either.

Even with all the pricecuts/promotions in the UK and outselling PS4 for a few weeks Sony still managed to wipe out all the increased sales in December that Xbox one gained/ I wonder what MS strategy for the UK will be now? It is not working the same way it is in the United states.

Anecdotal evidence only, it does seem to be working.

The reason software sales may be lower on the Xbox One will be because of the lower initial install base. Attach rate is a far better metric, but we don't have that on hand. Also, I think Xbox One owners are more inclined to buy digital. Sony isn't really trusted for online stuff after the PS3 hack (part anecdotal, though I believe there are surveys that back this up), and Microsoft had a big digital sale on through December, which would cut into retail copies sold.

At first I was surprised at PC beating WiiU, but how did the Vita lose to the DS?

EDIT: Hang on a second. In January, did the DS really outsell the WiiU?

NDS still dominates Nintendo shelf space (which is already small) at my local supermarkets. It's strange. Given the platform's performance and Nintendo's deals with supermarkets you would think this would be a resolved issue.
At first I was surprised at PC beating WiiU, but how did the Vita lose to the DS?
the Football Manager effect maybe

Watching the Vita being behind both the Wii and the DS is so fucking sad.

I mean what released on those? Disney tie-in and Just Dance?

Edit: Also how those the 3DS is this close to the PC, Football Manager is that big?

Both Nintendo and Super Nintendo shipped 8.6 million units across Europe, Australia and other minor PAL regions. Wii sold 8.4 million units just in the UK.

Game Boy sold 6.63 million units in the UK, whereas Nintendo DS comfortably surpassed the 10 million mark.

Think the DS finished up at about 12 million and is the highest selling system ever in the UK (a record I'd be surprised if ever topped)

The Wii was I believe also (relative to population) stronger in the UK than anywhere else in the world for like it's first 3 or 4 years

weekev

Banned
it's so disappointing to see the wii u so weak.

It is but it's not surprising. Nintendo has not courted any of the big retailers eg supermarkets like Asda, Tesco or the only big game seller in the country Game.

The shelf space in these stores is limited if it even exists for any Nintendo title and this is down to the failing of Nintendo's marketing in the country. To get anything Nintendo related you really do need to go online which means you only get well considered purchases, not impulse buys, gifts etc which takes out a large chunk of sales.

Still crazy how EA has not released a "new" Fifa game for Wii U but i guess Fifa 13 still does ok or them on the wii u since that outsold Watchdogs

It is but it's not surprising. Nintendo has not courted any of the big retailers eg supermarkets like Asda, Tesco or the only big game seller in the country Game.

The shelf space in these stores is limited if it even exists for any Nintendo title and this is down to the failing of Nintendo's marketing in the country. To get anything Nintendo related you really do need to go online which means you only get well considered purchases, not impulse buys, gifts etc which takes out a large chunk of sales.

They did a big promo deal with Tesco for Xmas 2013 but it didn't seem to have been very well organised

Sony must be thrilled with this ratio, look at the change in market share from last gen. MS has to be pissed they aren't way out in uk and US because that's the bulk of their sales. I think Sony would take this for the rest of the gen if they could.

Absolutely they would. Can they maintain it though, with Xbone likely having price advantage?

PS4's better 2015 line-up should help.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
2014exclusiveshquqb.png

Funny how so many posters on GAF try to convince themselves exclusives sell consoles.

No, Nintendo is doing really well in France. Bayonetta 2 even charted the week of it's release.

"really well" for Wii U, lol

also, comparing Bayonetta 2's debut with apples to apples instead of units x value:

UK-6th units, 5th value
France-4th value (+1 from UK)
Germany-6th units (same as UK)

"really well" for Wii U, lol

also, comparing Bayonetta 2's debut with apples to apples instead of units x value:

UK-6th units, 5th value
France-4th value (+1 from UK)
Germany-6th units (same as UK)

I just provided an exemple. I could also say that Smash WiiU sold 200k and MK8 272k as of December the 3rd for an install base of about 500k. Pokemon ORAS sold 191K in it's first week.

They're doing good here, better then Ms at least.

No, if it's not exclusive then there's a 99% chance it's best on PC anyway.
It´s like you have not read the op. So what if it is best on PC people are still buying consoles to play third games on them, and removing third parties from a game list is really sad.
I think people got annoyed by the chart I posted simply to support the argument that Wii U had a good lineup, since it also incidentally included PC. Even though that doesn't really matter in a retail sales thread, PC retail is mostly dead outside of some parts of mainland Europe.

It doesn't, did I claim it did? It only matters when trying to determine the platform with the best lineup of the year :p

No, people are annoyed because your list is bullshit, since it excludes huge amount of games on PS4/Xbone because they are not exclusives, even though as seen in the op, people don´t give a shit about that.

And FYI metacrictic does not mean anything.

The WiiU had the best lineup if you only looked at the exclusives. Counting the multiplatform games, however, the WiiU's lineup was mediocre.

weekev

Banned
They did a big promo deal with Tesco for Xmas 2013 but it didn't seem to have been very well organised
Yeah there was no promotional stuff visible in any of the stores I went into. In fact at the same time they announced this so called promo one of my local Tescos ditched Nintendo shelf space altogether. Nintendo hasnt got their shit together in informing the UK that a new console even exists. I feel like I put more effort into marketing their console than they do.

redcrayon

UK is probably their weakest market in Europe.

They do a lot better in Germany and France.
There are more countries in Europe than those three, the UK isn't the weakest market for Nintendo in Europe by a long way. However, the UK is probably the weakest for Nintendo out of those countries that comprise the three strongest markets for computer games in Europe.

Top Bottom