• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 Game Gifs/WebMs thread of WE NEED MORE RAM

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
header_by_aloooo81-d8e5zz6.gif

This thread is for the best of the best in Video Game GIFs and WebM's

They should be great quality, with great colors and smooth frame rates.

Bandwidth be damned, expect large file sizes.

For viewing WebM's in chrome or Firefox, I recommend YoutubeMeAgain!

Firefox Link

It will automatically embed WebM's to the page - ready to play in the same window with just a click. It will also do the same for Youtube videos, which is incredibly convenient.

rules_by_aloooo81-d8e60cl.png

Think before you post a gif or webm If it's long, can it be shortened? If it's huge, can it be shrunk down? Is it something we've all seen before or not very interesting? We've all seen wicked headsh0tz, bring something interesting to the table.

• Only 1 embedded gif or webm per post, or if the total is smaller than 15mb, 2 or 3 gifs webms. You can link to as many gifs as you'd like, but WebM links beyond the file limit should be edited such that the auto-embedding extensions don't automatically embed them.
  • Name the games
  • No stretching. If a game is 4:3, capture it in 4:3. Don't stretch it to 16:9.
  • WebM videos should be a reasonable resolution, such as 720p or smaller. If you've got a higher res one you're just dying to share, then link it in such a way it won't auto-embed.

File size: Remember, smaller the better. Try to keep it at 15 or under. 20MB is the hard limit.

Resolution: Aim for under 720p. For most GIFs, 640x480 is more than enough.
A 1080p gif is going to be prohibitively large, try to cut the size to at least 50%. And hey, you'll clear out some aliasing with the downsampling as well!

how_to_by_aloooo81-d8e5zyv.png

Programs for capturing footage

Programs for creating GIFs from footage

Information on how to best record footage for making into GIFs.

Tips

Tip: GIF frame times compared to framerates.
  • 50fps is 0.02 second frames
  • 33fps is 0.03 second frames
  • 25fps is 0.04 second frames

How to best create GIFs of older 8 and 16bit games.

When creating GIFs, my typical work flow is

1. Record with Fraps or DXtory so I have lossless source footage
  2. Cut down and resize with VirtualDub and export an AVI file
  3. Import AVI file and final edit the GIF in Photoshop
  4. Save For Web as GIF

Hosts

Sta.sh (2GB of storage, any size images allowed - option to pay for more storage). It's possible to link WebM's directly from here, but a convenient method when using Chrome hasn't been figured out well yet.
Flickr (1TB storage, any size images allowed)
Abload (10mb limit on images)
Copy (15GB Storage, any size images allowed)
Imgur Pro (a paid option. 10MB file max, but very good loading speeds. $24 a year)

pomf.se is NOT ALLOWED in this thread. They prune their uploads every now and again which means pages and pages of dead links. If anyone has a recommended WebM host, please let me know.
giant.gfycat.com is NOT ALLOWED in this thread. The load times are prohibitively long, and during their GIF creations they are often obscenely large.

examples_by_aloooo81-d8e60cp.png

The 2014 MVP award goes to Phil0sophy. So many great GIFs/WebMs posted by you last year. If I didn't have to trim the OP down, there were at least 6 or 7 of your posts in contention for the OP.

Phil0sophy
Crysis 2
http://a.pomf.se/inujyb.webm

Stallion Free
Transformers
10812697154_6231a41b38_o.gif

Sayavesh
Resident Evil 6
ib07djXnegmsix.gif

Me!
Dark Souls
reremake_by_aloo81-d7d2zxq.gif

Archive
2013 Thread

2014 Thread

If anyone feels something should be added to the rules, let me know and it'll be considered.

Also, if you submitted something in last years thread that you think is worth of being in the OP, send it my way and if it's up to snuff against everything else I'll toss it in.

As a final note - I'd like to make a call to arms for good high quality 120fps WebM's. Whoever can make a really standout great one, I'll add it to the OP.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just as a quick update, I removed the two 30mb GIF's from the OP. Remember folks, keep your GIF's at or under ~15Mb.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
How do you get a smooth framerate like in that Darksouls gif? http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/094/4/f/reremake_by_aloo81-d7d2zxq.gif

In Virtuadub menu under Video->Frame Rate, in framerate conversion->convert to fps, I usually put 10-12, but it culls the frames and never looks as smooth as the actual video file. Anything above that the gif is too slow like it's in slow-mo, anything below it's even more choppy.

Some Driveclub.

http://a.pomf.se/sqjgvh.gif[/mg][/QUOTE]

I actually recorded that GIF at 240 fps. So to get the normal speed sections I basically just dropped 3 out of every 4 frames and played it at 50fps and to get the slow-mo sections I just didn't drop any frames and played it at 50fps.

benzy

I actually recorded that GIF at 240 fps. So to get the normal speed sections I basically just dropped 3 out of every 4 frames and played it at 50fps and to get the slow-mo sections I just didn't drop any frames and played it at 50fps.

Ah I see. No chance I'll get that with the ps4 share capture. :p

vhrpbb.gif

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
it's time...

more. resident. evil. 6. gifsss

http://giant.gfycat.com/AdorableAppropriateBobolink.gif[/IG]

[IMG]http://giant.gfycat.com/ShyPeacefulDove.gif[/IG][/QUOTE]

I've been playing RE6 and I feel like I need to watch like an hour long tutorial on it because in your GIFs from last year I saw you pulling off stuff that I had absolutely no clue how you would even accomplish. I have seen the "The tips RE6 doesn't teach you that you should know!!" thread but even that doesn't seem to cover some of the melee moves you were getting.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Remember everyone, aim for 15Mb when embedding GIF's, and I've added a rule of a 20Mb hard limit for embedding. We've gotta keep this thread reasonably functional on peoples PC's!

I've been using this for years: http://www.freewaregeeks.com/?page=detail&get_id=228&category=18

Example GIF:

http://giant.gfycat.com/SelfassuredTepidFeline.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hey, that's a 27Mb GIF and hosted on Gfycat. You'll have to link it instead of embedding it.

-SD-

Banned
I have no performance issues with this thread on my weak and ancient desktop computer that has an over 8 years old 2.4GHz dual-core Intel CPU, 4GB of 800Mhz RAM and 32-bit Firefox 35.0 (which uses only one core). All embedded GIFs, including my 27MB one (quoted), run smooth as butter.

I think it's more of a question of browser inability than hardware. We should bring back [56K warning] but change it to [Chrome warning].

Dmax3901

What's the best way to make a gif made up of 6 - 7 high res images?

And would something like that be acceptable in this thread? It'd be of Skyward Sword running in Dolphin.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What's the best way to make a gif made up of 6 - 7 high res images?

And would something like that be acceptable in this thread? It'd be of Skyward Sword running in Dolphin.

That would be acceptable yeah. The best thing to do would be to make it a very high bitrate WebM video.

I did something similar with Super Smash Bros Brawl to show off aliasing differences.

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2...rendering_comparison_by_aloooo81-d8fu6vh.webm

It should be viewed full size, 1920x1080.

dsk1210

This thread seems to have died a quick death :(

Thanks for all your efforts in the past anyway. I always enjoyed these threads, more so with decent broadband. :)

lefox360

Banned
kinda... off?

it's cool its there, but its not suprising as it was seeing it for the 1st time (myself) with DS on Ornstein e Smough and other places, and even those you could tell it was kinda pre-scripted, but it looked awesome with all the debris. Here it just looks ... off?,like they forgot to add cement. and no dust or impact.

I really hope that Dark Souls 3 has a proper Next-Gen ideas/touches/level design to it, and stuff you couldn't really do or conceive on ps360, Bloodborne kinda feels like cross-genish game that coulda have had a ps3 version.

oh god oh man, i'd would love to play this, its really flashy. Is it as good as the Gut's revenge on Dreamcast? finished that one and loved it.

Top Bottom