• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Chevy Volt will start at $33,995

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunchtoast

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/03/2016-chevy-volt-msrp-33995/

One of the biggest mysteries regarding the 2016 Chevy Volt has been revealed. Chevy announced today that the next-gen plug-in hybrid will have an MSRP of $33,995, which includes GM's $825 destination fee. That's a few hundred dollars less than the current Volt, which has an MSRP of $34,170.

The second-gen Volt is about more than a price cut, though. The car has an increased all-electric range (50 miles vs. 38 in the current model) and better fuel economy. Once the battery power runs out – which it doesn't do, in most situations, since 90 percent of all trips are electric-only – the no-longer-premium-only gas engine offers 41 miles per gallon, up from 37 mpg.

We know most buyers are price-conscious, and with the still-available federal tax incentive of up to $7,500, the new Volt can be had for $26,495. That should put a spring back into sluggish Volt sales, which are down 46 percent year-over-year so far in 2015. Through the end of April, GM has sold a cumulative 76,136 first-gen Volts since introducing the car in 2010.

Press Release

Chevrolet Announces 2016 Volt Pricing
Next Gen delivers more technology at new price as low as $26,495

DETROIT – The Chevrolet Volt is poised to continue to bring new owners to the electric plug-in family. Pricing will be as low as $26,495 after the full federal tax credit of $7,500. (Federal tax credit can range from $0 up to $7,500.) In California, the vehicle's largest market, residents of the state will be able to purchase the all-new Volt for as low as $24,995 after state and Federal incentives.

The 2016 model will start at $33,995 MSRP, including an $825 destination fee (excluding tax, title, license and dealer fees). This is almost $1,200 less than the current generation Volt.

"The next generation Chevrolet Volt delivers more technology, the ability to drive further between gas fill ups and now with even more value to our customers. It's what our loyal Volt owners told us they wanted," said Steve Majoros, Director, Chevrolet Marketing. "We are confident we will continue to attract new customers to Volt with the vehicle's product improvements and attractive price."

The Volt continues to be a success with the brand with nearly 70 percent of Volt owners trading in a non-GM product or adding to their household fleet in 2014, the highest of any Chevy nameplate. The number one trade-in for the Volt is the Toyota Prius. To date more than 75,000 first generation Volt owners have driven hundreds of millions of EV miles.

Volt owners who charge regularly can expect to drive an estimated 1,000 miles or more between fill-ups (based on GM testing). The 2016 Volt will provide owners with impressive fuel economy of a GM estimated 102 MPGe (electric) and 41 combined mpg on gasoline power.

The new Volt will offer a GM estimated 50 miles of all-electric driving range on a single charge, a 31-percent improvement over the first-generation Volt. This means that new Volt owners should anticipate that approximately 90 percent of trips in a new Volt will be driven all-electrically.
This model looks promising and currently at the top of my list for a new car. Lots of improvements from the previous model, hope the reviews are good.

Here's another article talking about the sale numbers from previous numbers and reasons for decline.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/03/2016-chevy-volt-msrp-33995/

Video of walk around explaining all the features.

pc71N8z.jpg

eSgsH1S.jpg

k153yki.jpg

3bzAo42.jpg

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Even with the discount it seems like that price is too high for widespread adoption.

Almost $450 a month for 5 years at 0%.

Just my opinion though.

Jedi2016

I still don't see the logic in this. You can get a decent small sedan with good mileage at half that cost. What little you save in gas is lost on all the extra money you paid for the car itself.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
The 1st gen volt still has a better looking exterior in my opinion. 2nd gen ain't ugly, but it feels generic.

I am digging the increased electric driving range though.

I still don't see the logic in this. You can get a decent small sedan with good mileage at half that cost. What little you save in gas is lost on all the extra money you paid for the car itself.
Disingenuous post ahoy! The Volt offers more comfort and features than the compact sedans. It's why you don't compare BMW 3 series with a Civic.

And the little saved in gas is actually very significant based on feedback from people I know who own the Volt.

My Kia Soul has cost me about 5k in gas since I bought it 5 years ago. The vehicle was more or less fully loaded and cost 25k Cdn brand new. So if I throw the 5k on top that is a 30k car. Really for the price you are paying here and what you are saving t is a pretty decent deal.

bobito

Banned

its about saving the earth, not your wallet

I am far more interested in this than a Prius because the distance limit with current electric cars is playing with fire imo.

No one needs to drive more than 300m at once... until they do.

ascii42

That might be doable. With this and the next-gen Camaro coming out, Chevy might be pulling me in two different directions this fall.

I'd buy it not to save money but because I like the car and the tech inside it.

ascii42

I really like the tech too. I'm not a picky car guy so the looks/performance isn't a big deal to me.

Added pics and walk around video to OP.

From the video, it looks like they've made a lot of improvements. Not sure about that middle seat though. Otherwise, sounds terrific. First gen Volt was actually pretty decent off the line, thanks to the instant torque of the electric motor.

Ovid

I have been a fan of this car since it debuted. Unfortunately, I live in NYC and I don't own a house (w/garage) to plug it in.

Shadoken

Disingenuous post ahoy! The Volt offers more comfort and features than the compact sedans. It's why you don't compare BMW 3 series with a Civic.

And the little saved in gas is actually very significant based on feedback from people I know who own the Volt.

Can you please list these exclusive features that's not available in a regular car? And please don't compare brand value of a BMW to Chevy, Honda.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
*Hrm family emergency, I need to drive out of state!*

*Hope my family doesn't mind the delay of multiple hours so I can stop and recharge my car a few times on the way!*

Oh well than you'd rent a car or fly.
I imagine the savings from buying gas help in these very rare instances.

Oh well than you'd rent a car or fly.
I imagine the savings from buying gas help in these very rare instances.

Or I could you know, use the car I OWN to drive there.

Needing to rent a car when you already own one is not reasonable, and the savings from not using gas are not yet substantial enough to make that big of a difference, especially with the drop in gas prices.

*Hrm family emergency, I need to drive out of state!*

*Hope my family doesn't mind the delay of multiple hours so I can stop and recharge my car a few times on the way!*

If you have to get somewhere more than 300 miles that fast maybe flying is a better alternative. At least you know the roads may not be in poor conditions.

No_Style

This will likely be my first car. I've been waiting for the price since January. Glad to see to inching closer to $30K USD.

I'm curious what the CAD pricing will be though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Or I could you know, use the car I OWN to drive there.

Needing to rent a car when you already own one is not reasonable, and the savings from not using gas are not yet substantial enough to make that big of a difference, especially with the drop in gas prices.

But you can't use the car you own, so you make an alternate plan.
Just like I can't use my 2 seater to lug even small furniture I've bought or carry more than 1 friend.

I spend about $1,000 in gas a year, and have driven more than 300m once in the last 6 years. A sub-$200 plane ticket for that road trip have been fine for me.

I guess it depends how often you have family emergencies...

lunchtoast

That's good, then. I routinely make a 270 mile drive. But driving on gas doesn't recharge it; you have to plug it in to go to all electric, right?

Yeah, though for the most part, the gasoline motor is just maintaining the battery charge, rather than driving the wheels directly (though it can do that too).

You can also choose when you want to use the gas or battery for example if you wanted to use the gas on the highway, then swtich to battery for when you're in the city.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You can also choose when you want to use the gas or battery for example if you wanted to use the gas on the highway, then swtich to battery for when you're in the city.

If you're running on battery only, is the Volt as quiet as any other electric? Or is the gas engine actually on in some manner?

But you can't use the car you own, so you make an alternate plan.
Just like I can't use my 2 seater to lug even small furniture I've bought or carry more than 1 friend.

I spend about $1,000 in gas a year, and have driven more than 300m once in the last 6 years. A sub-$200 plane ticket for that road trip have been fine for me.

I guess it depends how often you have family emergencies...

Not reasonable in many areas.

I drive 200-300 miles in a go at least once a month.

ascii42

If you're running on battery only, is the Volt as quiet as any other electric? Or is the gas engine actually on in some manner?

It's as quiet as any other electric. The gas engine pretty much only turns on when the range is exhausted (or if you have told it to come on as lunchtoast pointed out). Because gasoline does eventually go bad, the gas engine will occasionally turn on to burn gas if it hasn't been on in a very long time.

lunchtoast

I'm not sure. It seems to have regenerative braking though.

It also has on demand regenerative braking like the ELR
http://cleantechnica.com/2014/12/26/2016-chevy-volt-feature-regenerative-braking-demand/
But the Cadillac ELR offered drivers Regen On Demand, using paddle shifters to allow adjustments to the regenerative braking depending on what the situation calls for. In city traffic, a more aggressive regen means more electric mileage, but on the highway drivers might want to tone things back. It’s arguably the best feature of a car that’s been subject to massive rebates and discounts.

It will run full electric up to 50 miles. I have no idea about the noise but sites are saying it's quieter than previous models.

Also
"It still operates exclusively in all-electric mode up to its range of 50 miles or so (except in very cold weather) before the engine switches on."

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ertrain-how-it-works-in-electric-hybrid-modes

So to gain the full tax credit, income needs to be at least $60k or so (assuming filing as a single)? Not as good as a straight discount but I guess it shouldn't be a problem for people looking to buy a car in this price range.

WarMacheen

Will wait on Tesla Model 3....should be here sometime this century.

50 miles isn't enough, my commute is 40 each way

lunchtoast

So to gain the full tax credit, income needs to be at least $60k or so (assuming filing as a single)? Not as good as a straight tax rebate but I guess it shouldn't be a problem for people looking to buy a car in this price range.

I've never head that. Isn't tax credit based off of the battery size or are you referring to something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom