• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Hobonichi Techo ITOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
IfNs4l5.png

English Store | 日本語

2015 Thread | 2016 Thread

The Master - and Stationery industry plant - Bagels approached me, his pupil, and asked if I would do the Hobonichi thread this year. I feel like he made a mistake. Let's find out if your wallet agrees!

T7usLZr.png

The Hobonichi Techo is, at first glance, a really fancy set of words for a day planner. Created and designed by Shigesato Itoi, known for the Mother series of games, it has developed a cult following since its introduction in 2002, every devotee just as eccentric and creative as the man behind the plan...ner. Fans were drawn to the Hobonichi as a way to express themselves day-to-day, with Itoi and company encouraging users to treat the planner as more of a scrapbook or random thought depository. Some really get into the arts & crafts aspect, with gorgeous results!

(via Flickr)

(via Hobonichi Love)

(via The Hobonichi)

More examples from the official site!

Think of your Hobonichi as a "Life Book", instead of the drab, business-only imagery of a typical day planner. Rip the tag off of your mattress and tape it in there. Take a Polaroid and glue it onto your page for that day, with a little poem to commemorate. Spruce up a dreary day with some thoughts decorated with Washi, stickers, or doodles. You could also jot down your grocery lists or keep a minimalist bullet journal! It's yours to treat however you wish.

But, you should reeeeally have some fun with it. Who likes boring?

0tdVTWm.png

e55Gwgf.jpg

The Hobonichi Techo is well-loved for its spacious, full-page-per-day design. Each book contains a little over a year's worth of pages, plus calendar pages for keeping track of birthdays, appointments, the release date for Twin Peaks Season 3, whatever you need to remember! You'd think that the book might be too bulky with so many pages, but that's where the Hobonichi's worst kept secret comes in: Tomoe River paper.

Folded and pressed 1000 times under the light of a full moon, Tomoe River paper is held in high regard by stationery freaks around the world for its resilience - while still being thin enough to almost be confused for rice paper. Fountain Pen users especially appreciate its ability to hold its own against saturated inks, which many notebooks still struggle with. Use that Moleskine you just bought as a bulky wad of paper towels to wipe up a coffee spill instead!

BarVYR0.jpg

...A-anyway, its quality is unmatched by many other journal/planner systems. Everything from the paper, binding, layout, and the covers, are all treated with attention to detail where it counts. It's thin enough to stuff into a back pocket, but maaaaaaaaaaybe not quite sturdy enough to handle being sat on. That's where the covers come in!

j4V8rJX.png

Favored by creative types (like myself!) and hipsters (...like myself...), Hobonichi can be used with a variety of covers, which range from muted and elegant to gaudy and ostentatious. Beauty in the eye of the beholder, as they say. Just, you know, not in my eye. I need that. Covers are made with various materials like cloth, nylon or leather, and often feature work from renowned fashion designers.

WldRVsJ.jpg
anOzx6I.jpg

rw9PFSo.jpg
PMYL8Zo.jpg

(I have a thing for the minä perhonen designs~)

Much like the contents of the book itself, covers are meant to personalize the book to your aesthetic and sense of expression. While not required to get the most out of your Hobonichi by any means, it's a part of the overall experience, and you should have a look at this year's offering to see if something catches your eye! Because covers are hand-made, they frequently sell out until more of that particular design can be made. As the store opened at the start of the month, some covers are already in restock limbo. Covers are also usually only available for a single year, though this year they have opened an "Archive Shop" with a very limited selection of covers from previous years.

Covers range from $20 for the basic nylon editions to $400+ for the really fancy designer models. We spared no expense.

C0hpFvF.png

Have option paralysis yet? Well... um, I forgot to mention that the Hobonichi comes in several shapes and sizes. W-wait! Hang on, I have a handy guide here to help you figure out which book is right for you.

Hobonichi Planner
dd3Jt40.png

A6 paper size (105 mm x 150 mm x 14 mm / 4.1" x 5.9" x 0.6")
English
~$26

“Techo” translates to “Planner” or “Notebook”. It may seem awkward that only one book uses the English word for Planner, but in this case, it's the special version designed for the English market. The entire book is translated, corny inspirational quotes and weird factoid pages in the back included! This is my recommendation for most users, as you'll be able to enjoy all of the quirky features out of the box in the bag they ship it to you in. I find it a bit drab and too 'professional', with its faux textured base cover and mostly black-ink print. There's also a slight price hike over the JP version of this book, most likely to cover for the translation costs, extra materials, and partnership with the ARTS&SCIENCE design company. The Planner and the Techo Original (seen below) are compatible with all of the A6 size covers.

Hobonichi Techo Original + Original Techo Avec
akCn8hO.png
nxyP0lD.png

A6 paper size (105 mm x 150 mm x 14 mm / 4.1" x 5.9" x 0.6") - Avec: (105 mm x 150 mm x 8 mm / 4.1" x 5.9" x 0.3")
日本語
~$20 (~$22 for the Avec)

The book that started it all, in a language you might not understand! The Hobonichi Techo Original is functionally the same as its English sibling, but differs in key ways. Besides the obvious language barrier, it also features special pages that cater to the Japanese audience moreso than users from other countries. The pages for each individual month are also different colors, which is something that I love and wish they'd bring over to the English planner. The Avec version is actually a pair of books, each one covering a 6 month timespan, perfect for those looking for an even smaller footprint for their planner than it already has!

Hobonichi Techo Cousin + Techo Cousin Avec
fv0dmzQ.png
1OAltFP.png

A5 paper size (148 mm x 210 mm x 17 mm / 5.8" x 8.3" x 0.7") - Avec: (148 mm x 210 mm x 10 mm / 5.8" x 8.3" x 0.4")
日本語
~$36 (~$40 for the Avec)

The Cousin is the other blood relative of the Techo Original, with much larger page sizes and double the weight. This option is great for serial doodlers, wandering minds, protagonists of Haruki Murakami novels, or busybodies who need to write down an entire meeting's worth of notes on a whole page. It's only available in Japanese, so it has the same drawback as the Techo Original, but still a worthwhile purchase if you feel you could put the extra space to good use! Be sure to buy the right size cover if you're picking up a Cousin, as the Planner/Original covers are much smaller. There's even a few designs unique to the Cousin! It also has a special section for week-specific planning, adding a little more thickness for the sake of covering all of your organizational needs. Available in Avec, as well!

Hobonichi Techo Weeks
onBaiAA.png

Alien paper size (94 mm x 187 mm x 10 mm / 3.7" x 7.4" x 0.4")
日本語
Price varies based on material (~$18-$38)

I... don't even know where this thing came from??? It just showed up one day, kinda looked a lot like a Hobonichi Techo, and it's what's inside that counts! Techo Weeks planners are advertised as a wallet-sized iteration of the Hobonichi system, cutting the daily pages in lieu of a slimmer, more simplistic design. Since the bulk of the planner is separated into weekly pages, you'll be a bit cramped if you have a problem with writing too much (like me) unless you have an incredible shorthand language at the ready. Unlike its fellow Japanese planner... uhhh - Cousins? Siblings? Far distant relatives twice removed? - the Techo Weeks comes with either a textured base cover, or a hard cover with design printed on textile material. I've never seen one of these in person before, buuuuuuuuut...

Y6tAcTH.jpg

...they make a pretty convincing case for themselves, don't they~

xIkdKVW.png

AwU36Xx.jpg

I know it's a lot to take in, and by now your brain surely feels a bit like this well-used Hobonichi here. Just a few more things, I promise! One wafer thin mint?

Buying from the Hobonichi Store directly will give you access to the full range of planner models, covers, and accessories. Money being what it is, exchange rates will dictate if you'll be buying at a slight discount or paying extra. Shipping from Japan is also a bit expensive, based entirely off of the weight of the package. They provide a simple price estimation guide at their website, but it only tells part of the story. Use a currency calculator to figure out how much you'll be paying ahead of time. A Techo Original ($20) and basic cover (~$20) will run you close to $60 when shipping to the US. European territories have the unfortunate luck of needing to deal with customs fees as well - evidence I've seen online says that most orders will get slammed with some sort of extra charge, but I don't know if this is always the case.

You can also buy from a limited selection of domestic retailers that have been authorized to sell the planner and a fraction of potential covers, which will save you ~$15.

US - Jetpens (2017 now in stock!)
UK - The Journal Shop (2017 now in stock!)

If you feel like you haven't spent enough money yet, I could certainly use some help saving up for a nicer cover this year! If you're not feeling up for sharing the wealth, you should stop by Bagels' account-emptying fountain pens thread. Might as well have a nice pen to jot your fanfiction ideas down into your Hobonichi with, you know? They do benefit the most from the Hobonichi's choice of paper stock, so it's something to keep in mind as you get ready for 2016 to be the last death it claims with 2017 looming in the distance.

RHezfkJ.png

Auctopus

Seems cool. I've been looking for a new planner and I like the look of those pages. Not being difficult but why is this an OT? And why for 2017? Is something happening soon? Do Japanese planners start from September?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Seems cool. I've been looking for a new planner and I like the look of those pages. Not being difficult but why is this an OT? And why for 2017? Is something happening soon? Do Japanese planners start from September?

They begin rolling out the next year's planners every September, so the 2017 thread is up now so that people can check out the new covers and features before they would actually need to use them next year! Covers can sell out quickly, and it may be some months before they're in stock again, so it's best to order early if possible.

Fireblend

Banned
I've been tempted to get one of these for a couple of years.

I'm going to Japan in December, though, so this might finally be the year.

Would I be able to get one of these plus a Mother 2-themed cover easily somewhere in Tokyo/Kyoto in december? Or just order it online to wherever I'm staying and save me some shipping costs?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I've been tempted to get one of these for a couple of years.

Would I be able to get one of these plus a Mother 2-themed cover easily somewhere in Tokyo/Kyoto in december? Or just order it online to wherever I'm staying and save me some shipping costs?

Easily? Hard to say. Last year's Mother themed covers were fairly popular, but I can't remember if they were ever sold out for long or if they expected demand and kept production steady. Brick-and-mortar stores that sell Hobonichi can be found via the "Where to Buy" page. I'd recommend stopping by Tobichi/Tobichi 2 if you can - they're official company stores! I'm a huge fan of Tobichi 2's design in particular, and would love to visit some day.

fushi

The EMS shipping fee irritates me greatly, but if I get my friend to order one for his wife, I might be game.

Have to pick a cover, though...

Fireblend

Banned
Easily? Hard to say. Last year's Mother themed covers were fairly popular, but I can't remember if they were ever sold out for long or if they expected demand and kept production steady. Brick-and-mortar stores that sell Hobonichi can be found via the "Where to Buy" page. I'd recommend stopping by Tobichi/Tobichi 2 if you can - they're official company stores! I'm a huge fan of Tobichi 2's design in particular, and would love to visit some day.

Guess I'll just try my luck and see if the cover's still available in December then. Thanks! I'll see if I can visit those stores as well.

BTA

Is it possible to get the English version in Japanese stores? I've been vaguely interested in these for years and am currently in Japan, so I'd like to save on the shipping if I can.

Is it possible to get the English version in Japanese stores? I've been vaguely interested in these for years and am currently in Japan, so I'd like to save on the shipping if I can.

Yes! If you're in Tokyo, the Arts & Sciences shop in Aoyama sells the English version. I'll be buying mine for 2017 at that shop in November. :)

Great thread OP! Subscribed!

I'm on my second Hobonichi since I happened upon Bagel's 2015 thread. I have a terrible memory so I love jotting a couple sentences of what I did that day and taping in movie ticket stubs or photos. It's nice being able to read through it at the end of the year and have a record of everything I did.

Nezumi

It's a bit crazy of how much I'm looking forward to using this.

I wish I'd known about the archive shop though because I really wanted that green and blue cover but thought I was too late.

Oh well. Still looking forward to my Memories one. And I really liked one of the print out covers to use inside the cover on cover really beautiful as well so I've got somethign to change it up to. I'm already planning on how to customize the thing and bought two new fountain pens. I also want to get a few roles of washi tape because I love some of the designs.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Decided on the World Folk Pattern cover this year:

slide_01.jpg

I've used a Hobonichi almost every day for the last two years, and it feels really good to do a brief recap at the end of the day. I've recently taken up sketching and watercolours, and the paper holds up no matter how much I saturate the pages.

Looking forward to seeing other people's pages!

Cross-posting here from the 2016 thread:

Ended up at Muji yesterday and picked up a few items that I know I'll end up using. I'm really excited about getting this!

235D8E07-F529-4BB4-93B6-F0C6BC5705D7_zpsdrmjsafv.jpg

The candy corn looking thing are post-it tabs. Also not pictured are my blue and black pens because I have a ton of those already from Muji. The pens are 0.38 as I prefer the finer tips.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
The student truly has become the master. :')
Awesome job with this year's thread! My Cousin, avec edition, ships on the 12th but your OP made me want another.

We have a sizable group of Hobonichi fans on GAF, so if you have questions, ask away!

Gloam

Think I'll switch back to the Planner for 2017. I thought that the Cousin would mean that I'd fill in more stuff but I find myself leaving a lot of blank space. I think the Planner was a better size and made me feel better about filling all the pages in, even if it was a tight squeeze.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Think I'll switch back to the Planner for 2017. I thought that the Cousin would mean that I'd fill in more stuff but I find myself leaving a lot of blank space. I think the Planner was a better size and made me feel better about filling all the pages in, even if it was a tight squeeze.

I'm going the other way! I went Cousin -> planner -> and now back to Cousin (avec)

For the beginner, the planner is my pick. It is satisfying to fill those pages, the price is lower, and it's easy to carry around. I want the extra space the Cousin offers - I like fitting in some calligraphy practice every day - but the Cousin is pretty hefty to carry around if your bag is already full of notebooks and pens and random stationery STUFF. The planner is super cute and it's almost pocket-sized, whereas the Cousin is a decent slab of paper. I'm hoping the avec is the sweet spot for my needs!

Nopren

As a freak that has rediscovered my love for stationery and the things we use to adorn them, I post to subscribe.
I will order my Hobonichi Techo for next year at some point.

BTA

Yes! If you're in Tokyo, the Arts & Sciences shop in Aoyama sells the English version. I'll be buying mine for 2017 at that shop in November. :)

I'm actually in Osaka, so I'll be going to a LOFT to see if they have it in the next couple weeks, I guess.

EDIT: Any pens/tape you guys would recommend? I'm not particularly artistic so I don't need a ton of colors or anything.

And I'm kinda getting excited about this. I used daily planners a lot for a couple years and then fell off. Recently I tried to keep a daily journal (for my time in Japan, actually) and immediately failed to keep up with it. This mix feels like it'll keep me organized better and be fun as well. I do wish I'd thought about getting this sooner though, since I would have remembered to buy cute stickers I've seen when shopping, oops.

BorkBork

The full leather ones are quite expensive. I would recommend the Safari ones if you want something that's classier than the polyester covers but are still relatively affordable.

I went with the polar bear cover:

This will be my first Techo! I saw the 2016 thread a few months ago and was like I want thissss with exactly that many mental S's, but I already have a daily journal that I've been slowly filling up, so this year is spoken for. I'm optimistic about the small size, too. My current journal is A5-sized, but I rarely fill a whole page when writing about a single day, so I think this'll work well. If it doesn't, I'll look into the Cousin... but I'll be bummed at not being able to read the silly quotes on each page.

I'm debating getting one this year. I've seen and wanted one for several years now but I never bite the bullet. I'm bad at daily journaling, but maybe the small size will help me write a little something every day.

It's weird. Fiction writing is easy, but writing about myself is close to impossible. I have several other Tomoe River paper notebooks I plan novels with and it's a dream to write on, so that combined with the beautiful covers are so tempting...!

I'm debating getting one this year. I've seen and wanted one for several years now but I never bite the bullet. I'm bad at daily journaling, but maybe the small size will help me write a little something every day.

It's weird. Fiction writing is easy, but writing about myself is close to impossible. I have several other Tomoe River paper notebooks I plan novels with and it's a dream to write on, so that combined with the beautiful covers are so tempting...!

I'm actually planning on probably writing fiction drabbles in mine, though I too keep several notebooks handy for anything else. I'm pretty bad at writing about my day so hopefully this helps me out as well.

i used my 2016 one for half the year intensely then kinda fell off
gonna try again this time, this time it'll be different maybe

Timeaisis

Is it that time of the year to re-order again? Heh.

Still rocking my 2015 Onett cover. This is my 2nd year with the Techo. I'm doing a lot better than last year (last year I went a good 6 months and then fell off). I've basically come to accept that I'm not going to write in it every day and that's OK. However, it's a great quick journal for things I want to remember, and it's also a great way to jot ideas down. Basically, it's become a really great multipurpose kind of journal/notebook for me that I can simultaneously record significant parts of my life and also jot down ideas that I want to remember.

Curious about the Cousin, but the Planner has been doing me good.

1upsuper

Man, I can't believe it's time to order next year's already. This was my first year writing in a Hobonichi Techo and I really enjoyed it. I wasn't as consistent as I wanted to be but I enjoyed it and I plan on doing it again. I'll probably pick up one of the new Mother 2 cases, same as last year, for no other reason than to have even more Mother in my life.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

When Bagels asked me if I wanted to write the thread for this year, I picked up my 2015 Hobonichi Original off of my desk for the first time in 9 months. Flipping through it was... an extremely emotional journey. I started using it by keeping track of the weather in Japanese, tucked into a cute little box in the corner of each page. I put effort into writing every single day for the first 6 months - lyrics that stuck with me, my own original little snippets of fiction or poetry, musings on recent events, inspirational affirmations I would come up with for myself, project plans and ideas... pretty much anything that I felt was important to document, for one reason or another. After those 6 months, I began to struggle. My updates were sporadic and sullen, quite the tonal departure from the first half of the book. There's a block of two solid months where I didn't even bother to say if it was raining or sunny out.

Re-reading it, I could remember distinctly what was hurting me at exactly what times. Project woes, feeling like an imposter, creative frustration, declining physical health, distancing myself from everyone, trying and failing to come to terms with parts of my life that were getting harder to deal with as the stress, guilt and fear slowly drained the love out of my fingertips. Yet still, there were small beacons of light amidst the dark chapters. An update of some kind would poke through, or I'd have an inspired Kanji practice session, or maybe there would be a beautiful poem written in an ink that matched the intended feeling behind it perfectly. I never really forgot what happened or what I was dealing with then, but there in my hands was a book that told my own story through these dips in activity and optimism. Every single inch of ink laid bare on each fiber of that pillowy Tomoe River paper was uniquely and distinctly mine, and the story it told through the subtle shifts and sudden changes paint a much more vivid picture to me than if I had done so with a traditional journal. As though every word was shorthand for a much larger set of memories.

I also noticed how practicing Japanese characters had affected the way I approached writing in English as well, with new flair and altered lettering slowly working their way into my daily writing habits over the course of the year!

In oversharing a little bit, I'm trying to say that the Hobonichi doesn't have to be about you in the same sense as keeping a traditional journal, it just has to be you. The rest of your story will fill in the blanks. That's what "Life Book" means to me.

eltercero

They have them in Loft stores (http://www.loft.co.jp/). There's a big a one (7 floors?) next to Shibuya Crossing. Careful though, you may want to buy a lot of things in there.

You can also go to the TOBICHI store, which is the official store for hobonichi stuff. When I went there last December they still had the Mother 2 covers from two years ago. The store is here https://goo.gl/maps/93BibynuTd82 it's kind of close to The National Art Center, just in case you may go there.

BTA

I'm kinda similar - I have notebooks I write in for documenting game design/fiction ideas that merit more than just being jotted down in my phone, as well as some I just use for literally anything (which usually ends up being a mix of meeting minutes, puzzle solving for games, todo lists, thinking through code, and so on). But it's hard to sit down and write about myself and I'm hoping this helps break that.

(Well. I break this by tweeting incessantly. But longer form, particularly physically...)

EDIT: I spent an hour or so earlier reading through the past 2 threads and now I'm looking into fountain pens on top of already thinking about stickers I should've bought/should still buy and whether I should get some tape... this is dangerous.

BorkBork

I don't like doing actual writing in my planner, just because I tend to be quite messy and fragmented when I'm coming up with story ideas. I just use a crappy exercise notebook that I don't care about to scribble on.

I do write down interesting words and phrases and ideas that pop into my head in the planner. It's good for that.

Ordered my 2017 Techo yesterday. I mainly use it as a daily log for what happened, and any reminders of things.

Kinda like just another planner really

AC!D

Thanks for this thread, I've ordered one for myself and one for my girlfriend for Christmas. She's a designer so I am sure she will love it, sketching, doing calligraphy every day and keeping a diary.

Unfortunately I'm not so creative. I'm already an active user on the Lang-8 language exchange site learning Japanese. My plan is to re-write entries I've had corrected by other users in order to improve my grammar and most importantly my kanji. This book will make me keep things neat! Can't wait.

Ludovico

Thanks for the thread, and especially for sharing!

I ordered mine a couple days ago - English Planner, Polar Bear cover, and some sticky note tabs.
I see I'm not alone in sporadic usage, especially with the six month slump. Order time is getting me to want to get back to consistently writing, so that's good!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
When Bagels asked me if I wanted to write the thread for this year, I picked up my 2015 Hobonichi Original off of my desk for the first time in 9 months. -snip-

This was a fantastic post. I flipped back through my 2015 Hobonichi and there are so many things, large and small, that it is great to think about again.

One definite key is to embrace the Hobonichi spirit of "almost every day." You obviously want to use your planner, but stressing out about it really defeats the purpose. It gets easier after the first one - knowing that you can look forward to starting next year's planner helps get away from the "but i'll ruin it with my dumb words and pictures!" mentality.

Timeaisis

Since bagels is in this thread...I might as well ask.

Do you have any advice for making my my writing more visually pleasing? I can always find something to talk about, but my handwriting is atrocious and I'm super jealous of everyone with artistic talent. Is there a good place to start with stuff like that?

Also, thread title is fantastic lol.

LProtag

I feel like I'd really enjoy having one of these... but my handwriting is so abysmal that I really have no use for it, haha.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Since bagels is in this thread...I might as well ask.

Do you have any advice for making my my writing more visually pleasing? I can always find something to talk about, but my handwriting is atrocious and I'm super jealous of everyone with artistic talent. Is there a good place to start with stuff like that?

Also, thread title is fantastic lol.

I'll try to write up some notes today!

CheesecakeRecipe has been working on his handwriting, so maybe he has some pointers, too.

I did not notice the amazing joke in the thread title until you mentioned it!

gaiages

Banned
Yay, new thread! So excited for for my planner with the sherbet cover. The Hobonichi site said they were going to ship it out next week.

It'll be great to have a little life book/scrapbook. I was never good at keeping up with journals but this is... Obviously different :) I'm hyped for a darn blank book lol

I have some gel pens (no fountain pens for me), and ordered some for sticker things. I might go to the Hobby Lobby sometime and get a couple other small things, but I think I'm mostly set.

GCX

I got my tracking number yesterday. Yay.

This year has been my first with Hobonichi. It motivates me to sketch something every day which is super great.

This is such a great post, and it makes me wish I did more with my planner. Looking back at 2015 doesn't show much--just a ton of work-related notes and to-do lists. This year, aside from the inclusion of various workouts, not a lot has changed. I'd really like to start writing more, but I find that I run out of space fairly quickly with everyday stuff.

I'd love some ideas, if anyone has any.

Choomp

Banned
I really want this, I'm just questioning how much I'd actually end up using it. I really like all the thinking behind it though.

BTA

Just bought a Planner at LoFt! Do have one problem though: they only sold the covers bundled with the books, and none of the bundles had the Planner, just the Original. So... guess I'm gonna have to find a cover elsewhere. Thankfully, I want a basic one and not a Mother one, so I should be fine.

Think I might bite on a Kakuno too- how easy is it to switch cartridges out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom