• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

TyrantII

They are arrested when arriving back, checked and then we kick them out or lock them up longer. That is not taking away due process. We also lock up people suspected of murder or other crimes before their trial, because it is dangerous to leave them out in society.

You don't sound like you know what your talking about. People don't just get locked up because they're suspected of a crime.

Meadows

Banned
Ongoing armed police raid two streets over from me.

RJYcMkJ.jpg

Apparently ariana has reached out to pay for funneral costs

Source?

Class act if so. In addition to all the other heartache of families who lost loved ones, wouldn't be surprised if Grande is feeling some heavy guilt for being the reason those people were there (however much that really isn't her fault).

You don't sound like you know what your talking about. People don't just get locked up because they're suspected of a crime.

People can be charged with a crime and held on remand until their trial date.

Also, people having done nothing didn't seem to stop the US holding people at Guantanamo for years .

Source?

Class act if so. In addition to all the other heartache of families who lost loved ones, wouldn't be surprised if Grande is feeling some heavy guilt for being the reason those people were there (however much that really isn't her fault).

Daily Record paper posted it on Facebook, presumably on their website as well. Not sure if that's a banned site so not gonna link, but you should be able to find it.

Preezy

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/23/mancunians-show-real-manchester-spirit-as-they-shout-down-edl-protesters-6655982/

Fucking EDL trying to take advantage of this situation to perpetuate their own wankery. Props to Mancunians for shutting them down. Even that police officer was basically calling them a bunch of cunts.
Urgh, the EDL are utter scum. Groups like them have hijacked the English flag, can't see one now without thinking the person displaying it is probably a meathead little Englander.

Theonik

Suspect of aiding an enemy combatant is pretty good grounds to hold them. Seeing that we have some pretty serious attacks around Europe with people affiliated to ISIS, I don't think that it would be against our values to protect against that when there is a pretty decent suspicion they have been there.
Innocent until proven guilty is a good rule of thumb in justice systems tbh.
Again if they had evidence they could use to detain they would. They don't.
Due process still applies.

E: Yes let's start arresting people on the suspicion they might be planning to perpetrate a crime.
That's definitely sensible. /s

Auctopus

I was speaking earlier in the thread about some friends on Facebook looking for information on a person who is missing - and they just got confirmed as one of the fatalities. I think they sort of knew late last night but it was just confirmed this morning. Devastating.

I was speaking earlier in the thread about some friends on Facebook looking for information on a person who is missing - they just got confirmed as one of the fatalities. I think they sort of knew late last night but it was just confirmed this morning. Devastating.

Shit. Deepest condolences to you and your friends.

Audioboxer

You charge them. You lock them up until the trial. This happens all the time with people suspected to be a danger or a flight risk.

Yeah, you are right here. But, the authorities do need probable cause and/or some sort of likelihood of intent for harm/to commit a crime. It's not always easy to legitimately bring someone in.

As I said on the last page a lot of these arrests sweep through at magnificent speed AFTER an incident as that ends up the evidence needed that conspiracies to commit crime/aid in crime are prevalent. I mean, this guy committed suicide, it's not like he was questioned, but the authorities still knew at breakneck speed where to go to arrest/raid.

Fighting home-grown terrorism is an awfully complex task. We do have to rely on our intelligence agencies and authorities doing it right/lawfully, but at the same time if they do not do enough/slip up/aren't fast enough it can end in mass loss of life. To which you can certainly understand public unrest and despair. It's easy to have a calm and collected head arguing on NeoGAF hundreds of miles from an incident. It's probably not so easy the days after your family member/friend has been ripped apart by a nail bomb due to an individual displaying suspect behaviour/part of suspect surroundings not having been prevented/stopped.

I mean, is anyone really outright shocked it ended up being yet another single male living in an area known to the authorities for radicalisation? No, I don't think so. Largely speaking the authorities and intelligence services know where these people come from, and many are probably on watch lists right now (hence many quick arrests). It's what on earth we can do as preventative measures.

Meadows

Banned
For the people living in Manchester, is there a lot of police force all over town or just specific, busy places?

They're everywhere.

For those not from here, Manchester has a very dense, but compact, city centre, so it's pretty easy to fill it full of police.

Auraela

Banned
Source?

Saw it on the mirror but is using not very legit sources all word of mouth at moment from reports

Meadows

Banned
Source: MEN

People close to the site of the latest raid said that it is thought to be an AirBnB and that the armed police took a suitcase out of the apartment. They are still in there and I don't think there have been any arrests.

Innocent until proven guilty is a good rule of thumb in justice systems tbh.
Again if they had evidence they could use to detain they would. They don't.
Due process still applies.

E: Yes let's start arresting people on the suspicion they might be planning to perpetrate a crime.
That's definitely sensible. /s
If someone travels to an area where ISIS is active and we know that, then isn't that kind of enough to go on as evidence to detain them until it is figured out if they are a threat?

We are not talking about someone going to a random country and detaining them upon arrival. I am saying that people who are traveling to Syria and Libya, known hotspots for ISIS activity and regions that pretty much nobody has anything to do outside of aid workers, should raise a red flag.

If you have an honest reason to travel there as an aid worker or journalist, you are registered as such and exempt from it.

You are talking about innocent until proven guilty, but we lock people up all the time before they are convicted, because we weigh the possible consequences of having them free in society. And I think that in these cases, those consequences can be so bad that we have a good reason to prevent them going back into society.

We also arrest people if they are suspected to be about to carry out an attack. We wouldn't we? Would you rather wait until they set off the bomb, or catch them before?

Theonik

You are talking about innocent until proven guilty, but we lock people up all the time before they are convicted, because we weigh the possible consequences of having them free in society. And I think that in these cases, those consequences can be so bad that we have a good reason to prevent them going back into society.

We also arrest people if they are suspected to be about to carry out an attack. We wouldn't we? Would you rather wait until they set off the bomb, or catch them before?
We need to use existing legal processes to assess the legal consequences of detaining any individual. You cannot detain anyone without a warrant. The problem is we don't have sufficient evidence to convince a court that it would possibly lead to a conviction so a warrant cannot be issued. That is how the legal system works. In the first place that's the mechanism what you are talking about is weighed, and it has ruled that we can't detain them.

Budi

True or not, I can't imagine how she feels right now. I'm not a fan, but I've heard she is super kind and always sings about acceptance and such. This is going to haunt her.

Yeah if this is true, I have some actual respect for her as a human. Really beautiful gesture. I think I'll drop her from my list of popstars to make fun of. Wouldn't want to be in her shoes right now, must be difficult times for her too.

We need to use existing legal processes to assess the legal consequences of detaining any individual. You cannot detain anyone without a warrant. The problem is we don't have sufficient evidence to convince a court that it would possibly lead to a conviction so a warrant cannot be issued. That is how the legal system works. In the first place that's the mechanism what you are talking about is weighed, and it has ruled that we can't detain them.
But aiding a terrorist organisation is a crime, isn't it? And going there is a pretty heavy suspicion that you are doing that. So I don't get why it would be so bad to detain them for it and then bring them to court over it.

And you are talking like all this stuff is set in stone. The courts follow the law. The laws can be changed to fit the situation. We do this on a daily basis for hundreds of different things. Now you can disagree and say that you don't think a change is necessary to make it possible to go after these people, but I think it is needed.

Its not like these people are just jumping on a plane to go into such countries. They travel to places that have no problems and regular tourist destinations then travel by car, train, foot, etc usually crossing where there is no security. It takes huge amounts of intelligence to find out if these people have actually gone into such areas and this information is spread across a huge network of different organisations. When they come back it isn't like they announce themselves either.
Yet immediately after the attack it is clear that the intelligence agencies had such a suspicion. I am going to assume they don't hold that same suspicion for everyone traveling to for example Turkey. So they must have some stuff that makes them think that.

If someone travels to an area where ISIS is active and we know that, then isn't that kind of enough to go on as evidence to detain them until it is figured out if they are a threat?

We are not talking about someone going to a random country and detaining them upon arrival. I am saying that people who are traveling to Syria and Libya, known hotspots for ISIS activity and regions that pretty much nobody has anything to do outside of aid workers, should raise a red flag.

If you have an honest reason to travel there as an aid worker or journalist, you are registered as such and exempt from it.

Its not like these people are just jumping on a plane to go into such countries. They travel to places that have no problems and regular tourist destinations then travel by car, train, foot, etc usually crossing where there is no security. It takes huge amounts of intelligence to find out if these people have actually gone into such areas and this information is spread across a huge network of different organisations. When they come back it isn't like they announce themselves either.

Yet immediately after the attack it is clear that the intelligence agencies had such a suspicion. I am going to assume they don't hold that same suspicion for everyone traveling to for example Turkey. So they must have some stuff that makes them think that.

Big difference between suspicion and knowing. Often the suspicion in such cases is of them being sympathetic to such causes or supporters of the ideology but doesn't necessarily mean they are the type of people to act out on such thoughts and can be armchair fanatics. When people are directly linked to those suspected of terrorist activities they are immediately detained, and those that have looser links but there is suspicion are tailed and monitored.

Considering these agencies gathering data isn't just of those linked to Islamic organisations but also a huge range of different ideologies religious or otherwise it is often not as simple as oh this person is travelling to Turkey even though we suspect them of being sympathetic to extremist ideology, especially when often the choice of country in question they have links to. Plus that they won't always just directly fly to a country with the ability to cross a boarder.

Auctopus

For anyone interested in military presence, I just went to meet my Dad for lunch in Southampton, Hampshire (which for any Americans reading is basically the opposite end of the country to Manchester, on the South coast).

We have a large shopping centre here (very large) which was being patrolled by two armed soldiers and according to my Dad (who I met at the restaurant), two soldiers were also pacing up and down the high street.

Audioboxer

More raids

Police raid central Manchester flats

Posted at 13:44

Police have raided a block of flats close to Manchester Piccadilly Station following Monday's bombing.

Residents said armed police and men clad in balaclavas stormed the Granby House building, Granby Row, in the centre of the city.

The railway was briefly closed during the raid.

A GMP spokeswoman said: "That search is ongoing.

"In order to do this safely, we briefly closed a railway line, but it has now been reopened."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-manchester-40007967

Theonik

But aiding a terrorist organisation is a crime, isn't it? And going there is a pretty heavy suspicion that you are doing that. So I don't get why it would be so bad to detain them for it and then bring them to court over it.

And you are talking like all this stuff is set in stone. The courts follow the law. The laws can be changed to fit the situation. We do this on a daily basis for hundreds of different things. Now you can disagree and say that you don't think a change is necessary to make it possible to go after these people, but I think it is needed.

Try proving that in court. Again, the problem is that their suspicion is not substantial enough to issue warrants on. At best they can authorise further surveillance but after 9/11 we have given intelligence agencies so much data they simply can't seem to be able to make anything useful out of it.

Laws can be rewritten but they must be compatible with other laws though admittedly this is an area the UK is unique in that parliament reigns supreme. But imagine the precedent you are setting here for a moment. We already have the power to detain people subject to judicial review. You wish to surrender power to law enforcement to detain people on suspicion they might be religious extremists.

E: It is also how other people has stated. Already these people try to evade this suspicion by changing how they travel. Any blanket restriction like that will just mean they change how/where they meet or travel to those areas.

TyrantII

People can be charged with a crime and held on remand until their trial date.

Also, people having done nothing didn't seem to stop the US holding people at Guantanamo for years .

Correct, but they need to be charged with a crime.

Also, appealing to the war crimes of the United States isn't exactly a good argument. Most of the people in Guantanamo were quietly released because they they never committed any crimes and we're only suspected of doing do. The legal basis which is in doubt, and why the military can't try them in any court. They also weren't citizens of the US, which would have been even more illegal.

It's a stain on US history and will be there forever. It didn't make anyone safer, and anyone outside of the crazy GOP, especially those in the IC, have said it's made their job much harder.

Oregano

They're everywhere.

For those not from here, Manchester has a very dense, but compact, city centre, so it's pretty easy to fill it full of police.

Yeah the centre of town is tiny. I've also seen quite a few police vans patrolling further out though, around Chapel Street and Salford Crescent.

A different city, but I saw just a single bobby today in Liverpool. There was a collection of flowers and candles being set up between the Met Quarter and the Radio City tower, which was very warming to see.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
well just got an email stating we are at a higher security level, nice really strange and odd to have this in your email feed.

surreal indeed.

True or not, I can't imagine how she feels right now. I'm not a fan, but I've heard she is super kind and always sings about acceptance and such. This is going to haunt her.

It's only going to get worse.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...nnopoulos-criticises-ariana-grande-pro-islam/

Looks like the alt right has gone to the point of directly blaming her for the attack and being anti American. Reading this got under my skin. Someone needs to punch Milo in the face.

Breakage

AP: Father of alleged Manchester bomber says son is innocent, confirms UK police have arrested a another son.

seems legit
The father of the guy who blew himself up is saying his son (the one that blew himself) up is innocent? I heard on the radio today that the family told the authorities that he was "dangerous".

Top Bottom