• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

26% of parents with high-school athletes think they're raising a pro. (NYT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

I'm pretty shocked at that stat. Wow.

A quarter?!

The math doesn't add up of course:

Parents investing large amounts of time and money in their athletic offspring with the belief that they’re nurturing a possible professional player should take note: Odds are, you’re wrong.

But you’re not alone. An astonishing 26 percent of parents with high-school-age children who play sports hope their child will become a professional athlete one day, according to a recent poll from NPR, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. The percentages are even greater among less-educated and lower-income parents: 44 percent of parents with a high school education or less and 39 percent of parents with a household income of less than $50,000 a year are dreaming of the bigs and the majors for their kids.

Those parents are deluding themselves, and possibly cheating their children out of other opportunities if they are demanding a single-minded approach to the game. The National Collegiate Athletic Association puts the real odds right up front on its website, and they’re nowhere near one in four. For baseball, only a little more than half of 1 percent of high school players who go on to play in college will be drafted by Major League Baseball (0.6 percent), and even of those, most will not ever play in the majors — only about 17 percent of draft picks play in even a single big league game. That means only about 1 in 1,000 baseball players who play in high school ever gets a chance in make it big — and the odds of becoming a real star are even smaller.

And that’s baseball. According to the National Collegiate Athletic Association, the odds of going from high school play and then college to become a professional baseball player are higher than those in football, men’s or women’s basketball, or men’s soccer. (The percentages for men’s ice hockey are similar to those for baseball.) Of that 26 percent of hopeful baseball parents, to stick to that example, about 98 percent will be disappointed.

Explains the sports obsession youth sports have in the States. 1/4 of parents banking on their kids making the pros.

Full article:

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/...d-isnt-going-pro-now-what/?smid=tw-share&_r=0

The emphasis on high school athletics in America is fucking stupid.

I remember during an 8th grade class in which we gave a presentation on what we were going to do when we grew up, literally every single kid on the football team said they were going pro. Ha.

Slayven

I honestly felt the same.

I was more shocked by the number of parents who didn't think their overweight kids were overweight.

If you had asked me I would have said about 60% to 75% without blinking. Would be interesting to see the same numbers at the middle school age when parents really get serious in sports if they about that life

BigBeauford

I don't understand. Shouldn't parents be encouraging their kids to give it their all? What's wrong with pumping your kids up? No, we should hit them with cautious optimism, and prepare them for the "real world"...

entremet

I don't understand. Shouldn't parents be encouraging their kids to give it their all? What's wrong with pumping your kids up? No, we should hit them with cautious optimism, and prepare them for the "real world"...

Bad strategy since not every kid will make the pros, much less have a long career.

You already see this with football and basketball. The latter, kids are one and done and have no marketable skills if they get a career ending injury or can't swing it in the pros.

Count me as "that's a lot lower than I expected"

My parents think I'm great in academics even though I'm pretty middle-ground. Just because I'm not completely troubled with it like my sister. Though I guess it doesn't help my brother's at the opposite side of the spectrum as her so my parents default to thinking I would be like him.

Parents like to think their kids are special.

They have their kids focus on sports, and that is all they know. Instead of exploring other opportunities.

M.W.

Well, the way the NFL is going, it will be two hand touch in about 10 years. I foresee a lot of pros.

I can't recall a single dude from my old high school who went past maybe college ball.

Parents do push their kids hard I thought the number would be higher too.

Slayven

Really?

I guess being a long time sports fans gives me some perspective. I'd thought it would be 10 percent tops.

But 26 percent is a lot!

Growing up in the South, Football Friday Night is a pretty much a state holiday. And folks will be bleed for it, I never been into it. But man was it something to see

xbhaskarx

And that’s baseball. According to the National Collegiate Athletic Association, the odds of going from high school play and then college to become a professional baseball player are higher than those in football, men’s or women’s basketball, or men’s soccer.

Why is professional baseball higher than these other sports? Is it because they're considering all the various minor leagues?
If so, I don't think they should, I don't think those 26% of parents are thinking "Yeah Billy will play A+ ball for a couple years before they cut him."

Zophar

Two guys in my middle school went pro. It's not impossible. I do recall then being groomed for it, too, and their father was also a college football hero.

teiresias

I think the ridiculously high percentage for parents of lower education levels and of lower income are startling. Anyone know the statistics associated with income mobility of kids coming from those families? I'd be interested in seeing if there's correlation. Obviously it wouldn't indicate causation, but this focus on something far less likely to help their children have higher income and education than their parents would be interesting to investigate.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
An astonishing 26 percent of parents with high-school-age children who play sports
hope their child will become a professional athlete one day,

Hoping they will become a pro and thinking they definitely will are two different things OP.
I also hope to become a billionaire one day. Doesn't mean I don't know that's never gonna happen.

entremet

I think the ridiculously high percentage for parents of lower education levels and of lower income are startling. Anyone know the statistics associated with income mobility of kids coming from those families? I'd be interested in seeing if there's correlation. Obviously it wouldn't indicate causation, but this focus on something far less likely to help their children have higher income and education than their parents would be interesting to investigate.

From the article:

The percentages are even greater among less-educated and lower-income parents: 44 percent of parents with a high school education or less and 39 percent of parents with a household income of less than $50,000 a year are dreaming of the bigs and the majors for their kids.

Slayven

It might seem silly, but I seen many mothers break down just from their kid signing a letter of intent. Sure a lot of them never made it to the NFL, but a lot of them get an education and opportunities they would have never gotten otherwise.

kirblar

The baseball thread a few days ago was a prefect and sad example of this being seen as an escape route for low income folks.

I'll put my kid in sports not so they'll become a pro but to hopefully attain a scholarship to help me pay for their college education.

entremet

Hoping they will become a pro and thinking they definitely will are two different things OP.
I also hope to become a billionaire one day. Doesn't mean I don't know that's never gonna happen.

The article disagrees:

Those fond parental illusions would be fine if sports were free and childhood endless. We could chase all the dreams we wanted to if the pursuit didn’t take limited resources away from other things. Consider the impact of a sports season on the budget of a family with an annual income under $50,000: Club fees can run several thousand dollars even before you add the uniforms, equipment, travel expenses and additional coaching, camps and year-round leagues considered necessary for real “success.” Consider, too, the time. A child focusing on a single sport will spend thousands of hours on it by the time he graduates high school — hours that necessarily aren’t spent on exploring other options or learning new skills.

Pastry

Banned
Probably the south?

Probably the south.

Northerners sure love to pawn national problems off on the South.

I definitely played baseball with a lot of kids like this growing up, once they realized they weren't going pro they were just kind of lost.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Bad strategy since not every kid will make the pros, much less have a long career.

You already see this with football and basketball. The latter, kids are one and done and have no marketable skills if they get a career ending injury or can't swing it in the pros.

They can always go back to school.

Not to mention that one and doners always go in the first round and first round picks get guaranteed contracts. So even if they get a career ending injury in their first game, they're guaranteed to become a millionaire

I'm not sure about preparing your kids for the "real world" with quotation marks, but you should definitely be doing your best to prepare your kids for the real world. I mean, what else would you be preparing them for? No point in preparing them for the fake world where 26% of high school athletes go pro.

catbird

Neo Member
Well, the question is: do you HOPE that your kid plays pro sports. Based on that wording I, like others, really thought the % would be higher.

From the NYT article, "As students and families sign up for sports this fall and winter, we should be asking: if you knew this was just for fun, would you still do it? Would you do this much of it? Would you do it differently?"

and based on the surverY: "Parents of middle school or high school aged
children report that most boys and girls (76% and 70%) currently play sports."

So, yea, my guess would be that most parents would still do it if it were just for fun.

Aranath

Sadly, that's not surprising at all.

My girlfriend used to be a high-level taekwondo fighter and it was unbelievable how much pressure her parents put on her to compete "for her future." It got to the point where she was failing classes, stressed all the time and even injured (she now has arthritis in her foot).

Her parents just couldn't see what they were doing and she blindly did it because she thought that it was necessary for her "future."

Bear in mind, she's an amazingly talented artist and she's now, thankfully, concentrating on that instead. Despite that, her parents still push her all the time to get back into it and compete, even though they know her foot is basically fucked.

It's terrible.

Makes sense. It's ridiculous to us because we're aware that very, very few people will ever get within spitting distance of professional level. But on the individual level, it makes sense that each parent believes that their kid is going to grow up to be great some day. Some aspects of that may be poisonous (ignoring wrongdoings, putting stress on the child, etc.), but other aspects are commendable - they just believe in their child.

Most everyone wants to imagine they or their child will be great. It helps them to put in a little extra. You know the saying about shooting for the stars so if you miss you hit the trees (or something like that)? Same concept applies, I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom