• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30 years ago, one of the best years for movies EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simo

None of those movies are very good, though. American Ninja in particular is a pretty thick slice of turd..

Motherfucker we about to fight....>( lol

I have fond memories of going to my first drive-in dressed as a ninja and seeing the awesome double feature of American Ninja and Superman. Granted I was young and all the sugar and movie rush put me to sleep during Superman but still.

I haven't seen American Ninja or the sequel since those days. I wonder if it still holds up...

1984 is to movies what 1969 is to music. Even the lowliest releases are now classics

af5KdPv.jpg

I have to acquiesce, that is a better year. Good thing I hedged in my thread title!

Oh, Temple of Doom and Gremlins are Hot Garbage though. But the rest of that list ranges from Really Good to Maybe My Favorite Movie Ever.

-SD-

Banned
1984 and 1985 were utterly and absolutely incredible years for Hollywood movies. 1984 being the best.

1984 is to movies what 1969 is to music. Even the lowliest releases are now classics

af5KdPv.jpg

Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Temple of Doom and Terminator pretty much seal it for me. Beverly Hills Cop as well.

And yeah, as pointed out UHF was a 1989 movie. Also, going a bit off topic here... 1983 was a pretty great year for music.

Search for Spock was sort of eh. I really like Gremlins, though. I watched it again recently and it's a lot darker than I remembered as a kid.

drspeedy

I completely agree, but the best movie in that image UHF, was released in 1989

Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Temple of Doom and Terminator pretty much seal it for me. Beverly Hills Cop as well.

And yeah, as pointed out UHF was a 1989 movie. Also, going a bit off topic here... 1983 was a pretty great year for music.

LOL - I photoshopped that in for giggles. I should have known GAF would catch the joke!

bengraven

1982:

Blade Runner
Wrath of Khan
TRON
ET
Conan the Barbarian
The Road Warrior
Fast Times at Ridemont High
The Thing
Rocky III
Porky's
Polgergeist
First Blood
Secret of NIMH
Dark Crystal
Gandhi

and that's not counting

Sword and the Sorcerror
Tootsie
Officer and a Gentleman
Annie
The Wall
Beastmaster!
Cat People!
Last Unicorn!

Top Ten BO:
1. Back to the Future Universal Pictures / Amblin Entertainment $210,609,762
2. Rambo: First Blood Part II TriStar Pictures / Carolco $150,415,432
3. Rocky IV United Artists $127,873,716
4. The Color Purple Warner Bros. $94,175,854
5. Out Of Africa Universal Pictures $87,071,205
6. Cocoon 20th Century Fox $85,313,124
7. The Jewel of the Nile 20th Century Fox $75,973,200
8. Witness Paramount Pictures $68,706,993
9. The Goonies Warner Bros. $61,389,680
10. Spies Like Us Warner Bros. $60,088,980

Two of my favorites of all time (BTTF,Goonies), two decent for laughs/cheese (Spies, Rambo 2, Rocky IV), one really good movie I probably won't watch again (color purple), and a lot of over-rated crap..

Edit: because I was confusing Rocky IV with V.

af5KdPv.jpg

A fine year. A good vintage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom