• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 2 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

MattyH

‎1.Cut
2.The House Of The Devil
3.Zombie Aka Zombie Flesh Eaters
4.Dawn Of The Dead (78)
5.Hocus Pocus
6.City Of The Living Dead
7.Evil Dead
8.Evil Dead 2
9.Army Of Darkness
10.The Exorcist 3
11.Sleepaway Camp
12.The Exorcist
13.Halloween
14.Event Horizion
15.Switchblade Romance
16.The Beyond
17.Deep Red
18.Day Of The Dead
19.Candyman
20.Candyman 2 Farewell to the flesh
21.Inferno
22.Trick R Treat
23.Night Of The Demons (2009)
24.Attack The Block
25.Shaun Of The Dead
26.The Loved Ones
27.Scream 4
28. Suspiria
29.Tenebrae
30.Dead Set
31.Ghostwatch

well here is my list for this year i kept it traditional with some of my faves from last year and added a few new ones in

My 'Annual' horror films for this time of year:

-John Carpenter's The Thing
215px-ThingPoster.jpg

-The Changeling (with George C. Scott)
220px-Changeling_ver1.jpg

-Session 9
220px-Session_nine.jpg

-The Shining
TheShiningBox.jpg

-Something Wicked This Way Comes
220px-SomethingWicked.jpg

-Lady in White
the-lady-in-white-.jpg

-Carnival of Souls
Carnival_of_Souls_(1962).jpg

-The Begotten
begotten.jpg

-Burnt Offerings
Burnt_offerings.jpg

-The Brood (yeah, Cronenberg!)
The%20Brood%20DVD.jpg

Here's a few films that I've watched recently and I felt deserved a recommendation. I'm sure I could come up with more, but these are the titles that are fresh in my mind.

rec_WhoCanKill_01_zpsd2ce6f6a.jpg

Who Can Kill a Child? (aka ¿Quién puede matar a un niño?) (1976) IMDb

rec_WhoCanKill_02_zpsc06bb2b5.jpg

Here's a fantastic, yet often overlooked film for you fans of evil kid movies.

A couple of English tourists on vacation on an island off the Spanish coast arrive to discover the island deserted, except for the children. The couple soon discover there isn't something right with the children, but can they do the unthinkable to escape?

Article on Twitch: TIFF 2012 Feature: WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? Continues to Horrify

rec_Pieces_01_zps62567fdb.jpg

Pieces (aka Mil gritos tiene la noche) (1982) IMDb

rec_Pieces_02_zpsb0ec71a8.jpg

This is a Spanish slasher from the 80s with a Giallo feel.

It's kind of hard to get into the plot for this one because it's pretty incomprehensible at times, but it's one of Eli Roth's favorites (if that means anything to you, he does seem to have a lot of faves...). Basically it's about a slasher running around with a chainsaw on a college campus collecting body parts to finish a human jigsaw puzzle.

What sets this apart from the pack of 80s slashers is how ridiculous it is, yet serious at the exact same time. There's leaps of logic in this sucker that'll make your head spin. It also features perhaps the greatest spontaneous
kung fu
scene in the history of cinema. Lots of fun!

rec_Intruder_01_zpsf6a9a310.jpg

Intruder (1989) IMDb

rec_Intruder_02_zpsb6a55037.jpg

Ignore the title on the poster, that's the film's working title and I couldn't find another. Anyway, this is one of the last 80s slashers.

The plot is pretty basic 80s formula. A night crew at a local supermaket are stalked and picked off one by one by an unknown slasher.

Made by Sam Raimi's Evil Dead buddies and featuring performances by Sam & Ted (a certain famous chin shows up for a cameo too), Intruder is a little rough around the edges (very low budget and a slow start), but once the red corn syrup starts flying, it's a great time. This one is notable for having some outstanding special effects by the early KNB EFX Group.

Review on Twitch:
INTRUDER: DIRECTOR'S CUT Blu-ray Review

rec_MothersDay_01_zpsd426c04e.jpg

Mother's Day (2010) IMDb

rec_MothersDay_02_zps31d975c9.jpg

So if anyone has seen Troma's original 1980 Mother's Day, it's a pretty standard hillbilly rapists in the woods type film like I Spit on Your Grave & The Last House on the Left. The remake is perhaps on of the loosest remakes I've ever seen. It ditches the whole rapists in the woods thing for more of a home invasion style movie.

Two sons return to their childhood home after a botched robbery only to find their mother (and psychotic leader) had lost the house and are forced to take the new occupants hostage while they try to get their mother to sort things out.

While this isn't the type of movie that'll change your life or anything, I thought it was one of the stronger recent horror movies and it had a fantastic performance from Rebecca De Mornay. Remake darlings Jaime King (My Bloody Vanentine and the upcoming Silent Night, Deadly Night remake) and Briana Evigan (Sorority Row) certainly didn't hurt things either.

rec_FathersDay_01_zpsad788527.jpg

Father's Day (2011) IMDb

rec_FathersDay_02_zpsf40f1349.jpg
rec_FathersDay_03_zpsc4058b21.jpg
rec_FathersDay_04_zps96a3b0a4.jpg

Father's Day is almost a mirror image of Hobo with a Shotgun. Both are born from fake trailers by Canadian filmmakers, both got studio assistance for a full length version, both are throwbacks to 80s VHS schlock (as opposed to the 70s throwback everyone else is doing now) and both are completely, batshit insane. Actually, that's not 100% accurate. Father's Day would actually have to scale it back a bit to be batshit insane. Is there a term for batshit insane amped up to eleven?

Ahab, a gruff-talking, eye-patched man begins a mission to extract revenge on the man who killed his father, Chris Fuchman (yes, it's pronounced the way you think it is), the Father's Day Killer. Ahab is soon joined by a priest and a street hustler on his quest to stop Fuchman and then things get *really* weird.

I'm not doing it justice here, but neither did the trailer so I don't feel so bad. I suggest skimming though the linked article on Twitch if you're interested in the crazy.

Article on Twitch: TFW 2012: FATHER'S DAY

Puckmarin

Banned
I will check this out.

Almost clicked 'play' on it twice but moved on.
I will take your suggestion, sir. :)

I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

It's not as scary as some movies, just creepy.

Maybe it was the atmosphere that surrounded us when we watched it. It was a night in January and we watched it in bed with the lights off. While we were watching the movie our dog kept running to the living room of the apartment and growling quietly for no apparent reason. Between that and the movie my wife and I were both on edge.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I wanted to drop a recommendation for this little movie:

292737_2398586683940_3638152_n.jpg

It's creepy to this day, dark as hell, and I think quite an excellent and under-appreciated movie. It's on netflix streaming!

Berto

For the past few years i always do a mini-marathon of 15 or so horror movies prior to the halloween. I have this years list more or less defined, however i have a few doubts on a couple of movies. Did anyone saw Les yeux sans visage (Eyes Without a Face) and Les lèvres rouges (Daughters of Darkness)? They seem cool.

Hilbert

For the past few years i always do a mini-marathon of 15 or so horror movies prior to the halloween. I have this years list more or less defined, however i have a few doubts on a couple of movies. Did anyone saw Les yeux sans visage (Eyes Without a Face) and Les lèvres rouges (Daughters of Darkness)? They seem cool.

Eyes without a face is excellent and a classic. I recommend it. Not familiar with the second one.

Divius

So I 'accidentally' already watched 3 horror movies today. ITS NOT EVEN OCTOBER YET DIVIUS CONTAIN YOURSELF DAMMIT yeah but I'm just so excited to do this again :(

So I 'accidentally' already watched 3 horror movies today. ITS NOT EVEN OCTOBER YET DIVIUS CONTAIN YOURSELF DAMMIT yeah but I'm just so excited to do this again :(

Same here. I think I started the thread too early, it's killing me.

I'm going to get some rewatches that I didn't want to include anyway out of the way now. Halloween 2, 4 and 5 this week. All I have to do is resist the new movies I haven't seen yet that I'm dying to watch...

Ravager61

Yeah, I've been cheating and started early this year.

So far I have watched:
Fright Night (80's version)
[REC]
Re-Animator
Black Sunday (Bava)
Curse of Frankenstein
Drag Me to Hell

I'd seen Drag Me to Hell previously, but I felt like watching it again. All the others were first viewings and all were pretty damn great.

I also decided to play though Silent Hill 2 for the first time last weekend for some added scared. That basically blew my mind with how awesome it was.

Do you own it? This is a movie ive been wanting to buy for awhile.

Amazingly my brother does.

He found it back in 2002 (I believe) in a little video store in the middle of nowhere.
It was a rental, he asked to buy it (box and all), and the owner said "You're the only one to ever rent it, so sure."

A true treasure.

Every time I borrow it he calls me daily to remind me to return it to him as soon as I'm done. :D

Amazingly my brother does.

He found it back in 2002 (I believe) in a little video store in the middle of nowhere.
It was a rental, he asked to buy it (box and all), and the owner said "You're the only one to ever rent it, so sure."

A true treasure.

Every time I borrow it he calls me daily to remind me to return it to him as soon as I'm done. :D

Nice. I just spent the past hour debating if i should buy it. I found it on vhs for $30! This will hold be over till i have $100+ to drop on the dvd.

UFUGM.jpg

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
DeMornay is pretty awesome in that Mother's Day remake. The rest is pretty meh, but its not a bad watch

Ridley327

Finally nailed everything down; it took a bit because I had to make sure that the stuff I needed to order in would arrive in time, but it looks like I've got it all under control now. Without further adieu...

Week 1: British Horror, sans Hammer
Oct. 1: Don't Look Now
Oct. 2: Kill List
Oct. 3: Paperhouse
Oct. 4: Xtro
Oct. 5: Double Feature!: The Sorcerers/Witchfinder General

Oct. 6: The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue
Oct. 7: Double Feature!: Fascination/Lips of Blood

Week 2: Ghosts 'n Stuff
Oct. 8: The Stone Tape
Oct. 9: The Changeling
Oct. 10: Double Feature!: Kuroneko/A Tale of Two Sisters
Oct. 11: The Innkeepers
Oct. 12: The Shining

Oct. 13: The Cabin in the Woods
Oct. 14: Double Feature!: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre/The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Week 3: Slasher Films: Advanced Studies
Oct. 15: He Knows You're Alone
Oct. 16: Nightmare (a.k.a. Nightmares in a Damaged Brain)
Oct. 17: Curtains
Oct. 18: Fade to Black
Oct. 19: Double Feature!: A Blade in the Dark/Stagefright

Oct. 20: Targets
Oct. 21: Double Feature!: Island of Lost Souls (1932)/Freaks

Week 4: Universal Through the Ages
Oct. 22: Phantom of the Opera (1925)
Oct. 23: Double Feature!: The Wolfman/An American Werewolf in London
Oct. 24: Double Feature!: Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein
Oct. 25: The Thing
Oct. 26: Slither

Oct. 27: Halloween
Oct. 28: Double Feature!: Black Sunday/Twitch of the Death Nerve

Week 5 (Kinda): Three Days, Three Auteurs, Three Films
Oct. 29: The Bird with the Crystal Plumage/Four Flies on Grey Velvet/Suspiria
Oct. 30: Shivers/Rabid/The Brood
Oct. 31: Repulsion/Rosemary's Baby/The Tenant

The titles in bold represent films that I will be seeing for the first time.

grim0451

Neo Member
I really want to save my movies until October so that I actually have a chance to make it but some of you are making that very hard. Also House has been added to my list.

iirc, last year we had Sleepaway Camp as the 'sleeper hit' in the thread... kind of an unknown movie and only bought to most people's attention (and mine) due to a youtube full movie link. I like something like that again this year, something out of the blue and surprising many.

harSon

Banned
Movie #8 - Night of the Creeps
goCYF.jpg

Why did Robocop 3 have to tank Fred Dekker's career? :(

I love how this film, alongside a few other films from the era, is self-aware, self-mocking as well as paying homage to the films it mocks (50s scifi/horror, zombie films, etc), a full 10 years before Scream, but Scream gets all the credit for this style of film within the genre. The practical effects, schlock acting, corny dialog and cringe worthy one liners, sorority setting, cliche'd premise, etc. I fucking loved it all.

Having watched all of these 80s era films, my wish for practical effects to make a comeback have only heightened. The make-up and costume design within this film were damn good, and the little slugs through out the film were surprisingly well done as well. The opening and closing inclusion of Aliens was pretty hilarious, but from a budget standpoint, a bit overkill since they didn't really add anything to the narrative.

Tom Atkins definitely stole the show, he was the perfect actor to mock the down and out, washed up detective, considering he's made a fucking career playing that same trope. Apparently Dekker wrote the script in 7 days, which is amazing in itself considering the resulting film, but evident within some of the narrative. The scene between Atkins and the main character, where he confesses to the murder he committed decades ago, is so out of left field, forced and unneeded that you can't help but laugh... but I suppose that's part of the charm.

The only thing I didn't like was the choice of main character. Dude had the charisma of week old road kill. I think the film would have worked a lot better if it were channeled through his crippled friend (I really struggled to come up with another way of saying this, sorry!), considering a dude with cerebral palsy kicking alien/zombie ass seems like the greatest thing ever to me.

Oh, and the main characters love interest was gorgeous as hell, but like the main character, had the personality of a cadaver.

Next Movie: The Omen (Original).

Divius

^I agree completely, harSon.

iirc, last year we had Sleepaway Camp as the 'sleeper hit' in the thread... kind of an unknown movie and only bought to most people's attention (and mine) due to a youtube full movie link. I like something like that again this year, something out of the blue and surprising many.
I was thinking the same, maybe there should be an 'obligatory' (but you know, not really) movie to watch. Sleepaway Camp was a great choice last year.

How about MANIAC or maybe THE BURNING, although I have not yet seen the latter.

Is Fathers Day real quality like Hobo with Shotgun, or is it literally a Troma film? To me Hobo was what Troma films wish they were.

I was thinking the same, maybe there should be an 'obligatory' (but you know, not really) movie to watch. Sleepaway Camp was a great choice last year.

More people need the original Black Christmas in their lives.

everybody needs to put v/h/s on their list, its so fucking rad.

I keep hearing this from so many people. Currently it is at the top of my list but I'm not starting till October

Also I watched a horror movie in spring that I wanted to recomend for others

ロイ Noroi The Curse

It's a Japanese Found Footage Horror movie. I watched it on youtube though I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link as I don't think the person who put it up owns the right etc. Either way if you can find another source to watch it I would totally recommend it as it is genuinely creepy.

Metalmarc

oh man! what a superb idea.

sadly I don't think i have the time to commit to this fully (work etc) or i would definitely participate

i have always always watch at least 2-3 on halloween itself (friday the 13th's too) and for the whole month run up to the big day i listen to a lot of horror themed rock and metal music and even horror soundtracks and yes the dodgy horror songs that come on the radio

however i will pinch this idea sort of and do something horror/halloweenish related for 31 days or until i flake out! ie listen to a full length horror themed cd one day, maybe a tv show the next, maybe a simpsons tree house of horror the next, read a book etc etc

if somehow i can fit in 31 films in the whole month i will though! and post reviews
if not i will just to do something different with my time but still horror related somehow, thanks for the inspiration

October the 2nd : Resident Evil 6 Release date
October the 24th : is already marked as going to see Alice cooper in concert!

Never seen before but want to watch:
Midnight Meat Train
Paranormal Activity 3
Resident Evil 3-5
Walking Dead Season 2
Hellraiser 3 onwards ( i dont think i want to but maybe)

Hilbert

Hellraiser 3 onwards ( i dont think i want to but maybe)

Actually some of these aren't bad. I rather liked #4, and if you view the others as just movies and try to ignore a hellraiser connection they aren't bad(other than the videogame one, and I haven't seen the new one that is supposed to be really really bad.)

Hilbert

I watched part of it. I hated it. I can't stand found footage films. The only one I've ever found that was watchable for some reason was the original REC.

Have you seen Cannibal Holocaust? It is the granddaddy of found footage movies.

So this is the list that needs to be cut down to 31.

The Flesh and Blood Show
Waxwork
Chopping Mall
Dream Home
Blood Diner
Love Me Deadly
Silent Night, Deadly Night
Dead Waves
The Locker
R-Point
Marebito
Hitcher In The Dark
3 Extremes (Box and Dumplings only)
Ju-Rei
The Orphanage
Aftermath/Genesis
Martyrs
Sledgehammer
Kilometro 31
El Espejo De La Bruja
Things
Haxan
Nosferatu
Horror of Dracula
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave
Taste the Blood of Dracula
Dracula A.D. 1972
Blood From The Mummies Tomb
Demons Of The Mind
The Devil Rides Out
Viking Queen
Dracula
Prince Of Darkness
'Fear In The Night
Frankenstein Created Women
The Horror Of Frankenstein
The Nanny
One Million Years BC
The Plague Of The Zombies
Prehistoric Women
Quartermass And The Pit
'Rasputin The Mad Monk
The Reptile
The Scars Of Dracula
SHE
To The Devil A Daughter
The Vengeance Of SHE
Straight On Till Morning
The Witches
Katasumi and 4444444444 (these dont count cause they are like only 5 mins long)
Ju-on: The Curse
Ju-on: The Curse 2
Ju-on: The Grudge
Ju-on: The Grudge 2
The Grudge,2,3
The Grudge: Old Lady in White
The Grudge: Girl in Black
Grotesque
The Devil's Experiment
Flower of Flesh and Blood
Serbian Film

Hilbert

So this is the list that needs to be cut down to 31

Some of those might be hard to find. Do you have access to a copy of The Devil Rides Out? I have been wanting to see that for a long time! Also aftermath/genesis isn't really a full movie maybe pair it with something else short?

Some of those might be hard to find. Do you have access to a copy of The Devil Rides Out? I have been wanting to see that for a long time! Also aftermath/genesis isn't really a full movie maybe pair it with something else short?

I own all of these already. Its just the tip of the my horror collection.

My advice would be, do not watch A Serbian Film. It's not even a horror movie, but more of a disturbing gore/torture flick.

You are totally going to watch it now, aren't you?

Ive seen it a couple of times. lol I will admit I had to get super drunk before I watched it for the first time. The hardest part for me was when they first drug him and he
cuts the girls head off while he's fucking her

Quikies83

Ive seen its a couple of times. lol I will admit I had I got super drunk before I watched the first time. The hardest part for me was when they first drug him and he
cuts the girls head off while he's fucking her

No way I would sit and watch this one again. I had to force myself to finish it.

If there was to be an official 'obligatory' movie, it would have to be something everyone can watch online (legally) for free, no matter what country they are located in - so that rules out things like netflix and some youtube movies. I can't think of anything like that outside of the public domain movies on archive.org

Is Fathers Day real quality like Hobo with Shotgun, or is it literally a Troma film? To me Hobo was what Troma films wish they were.

Well, it's actually written and directed by Astron-6, only produced by Troma. Aside from having a cameo by
Lloyd Kaufman
, I don't think Troma had much of a hand in production, but it's hard to tell because the full-length making of feature wasn't included in BD set and there's been a rift between them and Troma.

It's somewhere in the middle, I'd say... maybe a little closer to Hobo than Troma because what they did with such a small budget is amazing. It's definitely a lot more polished than Kaufman's movies. The characters actually have costumes, not just what the actor showed up wearing that day, and there's set/production design, they don't just stick a piece of paper up on the wall with the name of where they're supposed to be like Troma does. And while being offensive, it isn't offensive for the sake of being offensive like Terror Firmer or Poultrygeist.

It does get a little... out there like a Troma film - so it's not as grounded as Hobo, but it's not nearly as purposely stupid as say, Citizen Toxie.

Actually some of these aren't bad. I rather liked #4, and if you view the others as just movies and try to ignore a hellraiser connection they aren't bad(other than the videogame one, and I haven't seen the new one that is supposed to be really really bad.)

There's a videogame one? Oh god, I gotta see that.

Hilbert

If there was to be an official 'obligatory' movie, it would have to be something everyone can watch online (legally) for free, no matter what country they are located in - so that rules out things like netflix and some youtube movies. I can't think of anything like that outside of the public domain movies on archive.org

There's a videogame one? Oh god, I gotta see that.

We could watch The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0010323/

Not sure if that is available worldwide, but it might be.

The videogame hellraiser is Hellworld I believe.

I remember enjoying Inferno and Deader, just pretend they aren't hellraiser movies.

We could watch The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0010323/

Not sure if that is available worldwide, but it might be.

Viewable on IMDb? I'm blind, where's the watch link?

The videogame hellraiser is Hellworld I believe.

I remember enjoying Inferno and Deader, just pretend they aren't hellraiser movies.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll get to them. I was going to watch Inferno because that was recommended to me in the thread last year.

Since I did 1-2 then, I think I'll do 3-4 this year, and then the next 2 next year and so on, until I've finally seen the whole series, bad ones and all.

harSon

Banned
So this is the list that needs to be cut down to 31.

Why would you watch Box and Dumplings only? Cut is easily the best film of the bunch, and one of the few legitimately good films that I think Chan Wook Park has actually put out.

Viewable on IMDb? I'm blind, where's the watch link?

Thanks, I'm sure I'll get to them. I was going to watch Inferno because that was recommended to me in the thread last year.

Since I did 1-2 then, I think I'll do 3-4 this year, and then the next 2 next year and so on, until I've finally seen the whole series, bad ones and all.

http://archive.org/details/DasKabinettdesDoktorCaligariTheCabinetofDrCaligari

It's public domain

Top Bottom