• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 2 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

I watched about 7 horror movies this weekend in anticipation for The Marathon. Only enjoyed about two of them though, ha!

I have my list already, here it is (all Netflix):

Feel free to let me know if some of them are crap, I'll add/remove according to your suggestions:

Absentia
Fear Island
Blood Creek
The Burrowers
Pontypool
The Caller
The Traveler
The Tall Man
Dread
Exit Humanity
House of Voices
Uninhabited
The Moth Diaries
The Reeds
Stevie
The Graves
Playback
Creature
The House of the Devil
Primal
Salvage
A Hunting in Salem
Inkubus
The Pack
Snow White
We Are the Night
Kill Katie Malone
The Extremes
The Keep
The Howling Reborn
Children of the Corn

Jhriad

FUCK. Just noticed this thread for the first time this month. Roommate and I went through last years. Going to have to put together a list really fast.

decaf

Ended up staying up til 4AM last night...

(Out of ****)

#1 [REC]² (2009) (Oct 1)
Not as good as the first, but nice to have a continuation of the original story. **

rec-3-genesis.jpg

#2 [REC]³ Génesis (2012) (Oct 1)
What a change of pace. My main gripe with this movie is that it has very little to do with the former two. It's changed from a
gritty, virus-based
horror movie to a
zombie-based comedy/romance schlock
horror movie. The very essence of the series, the
handheld camera perspective
is thrown out the window too, despite some new ideas on that front in the first half-hour. Not a bad movie, just could have done with a different title. **

An-Det

I've put off making a definitive list so far. I've got a good chunk laid out but no particular order planned to watch them in.

Oct 1:

The Deaths of Ian Stone

I started early since the movie is being removed from streaming 10/1/2012. The premise is that Ian is killed every day, and each day wakes up in a new life. I really liked the first hour of it, which reminded me of a blend between Wes Craven's 'They', The Butterfly Effect, and Dark City, but the last half hour just went off the rails.
Ian is one of the monsters that can control reality, and they're doing all this to find out how he could kill one of their own. That was a neat twist, until they capture and torture him and then he goes on a rampage in his monster form, completely destroying the horror built up in the first hour

It wasn't bad, but I feel the last third marred an otherwise decent movie.

Arg, I was going to start at midnight (in 30 minutes here) but I'm too tired. Curse my human body and its stupid requirements!

I've put off making a definitive list so far. I've got a good chunk laid out but no particular order planned to watch them in.

Oct 1:

The Deaths of Ian Stone

I started early since the movie is being removed from streaming 10/1/2012. The premise is that Ian is killed every day, and each day wakes up in a new life. I really liked the first hour of it, which reminded me of a blend between Wes Craven's 'They', The Butterfly Effect, and Dark City, but the last half hour just went off the rails.
Ian is one of the monsters that can control reality, and they're doing all this to find out how he could kill one of their own. That was a neat twist, until they capture and torture him and then he goes on a rampage in his monster form, completely destroying the horror built up in the first hour

It wasn't bad, but I feel the last third marred an otherwise decent movie.

Ha, I watched this for the same reason. I didn't like the last third of the film, I thought
it could have been better if they got rid of the monsters altogether. I would have liked a Groundhog Day Horror film.

An-Det

Ha, I watched this for the same reason. I didn't like the last third of the film, I thought
it could have been better if they got rid of the monsters altogether. I would have liked a Groundhog Day Horror film.

Agreed, that's closer to what I was hoping for and would have felt much better. The last third just felt off, really a drop from the decent start.

Divius

#2 [REC]³ Génesis (2012) (Oct 1)
What a change of pace. My main gripe with this movie is that it has very little to do with the former two. It's changed from a
gritty, virus-based
horror movie to a
zombie-based comedy/romance schlock
horror movie. The very essence of the series, the
handheld camera perspective
is thrown out the window too, despite some new ideas on that front in the first half-hour. Not a bad movie, just could have done with a different title. **
I absolutely hated the movie for everything you mention above and especially throwing out the
handheld
style and even making fun of it. Fuck you [Rec³]. At least the first two were better movies than you.

miller_time22

Neo Member
Movie #1

The Fly (1986)
Embarrassingly, I had never seen this before and this marks only the second Cronenberg film I've watched (Eastern Promises being the other). After seeing this, I'm going to have to rectify that.
This movie was great. Jeff Goldblum was perfectly cast as Seth Brundle and boy does John Getz play a great sleazeball in this. He has a couple of funny lines in this one too.

My favorite part though was definitely the gooey practical effects. Just fantastically done all around. I miss the practicality of effects work like this in today's heavy CGI age, but alas. I also want to mention Howard Shore's score, which I thought was very effective.

Overall, a great start to the month. I hope to get back to the original Fly movies and The Fly II at some point as well as delve further into the special features . But, up next is John Carpenter's latest: The Ward.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I've got a list ready to begin tonight, though it's more like a guideline. REC3 is on it, but now I don't know. I loved the first two :-/

Gonna give this a try, probably wont be able to do movie a day but usually will make up for it on weekends with multiple movie watches. Did watch a a few as backups already in case I can't finish.

But my theme for this year is going to be shlocktober, watching mainly the forgotten horror flicks and often for a good reason.

Coxy

qeEXE.jpg

#1 Grabbers

Well my 31 days are off to a great start with this fun story where the only way to survive...is to drink. Hilarious script, likeable characters that are more intelligent when drunk to the nth degree than your average horror movie character, beautiful location shots and entertaining lovecraftian deep sea style monster designs. Not a massive amount of horror or gore but it's a really fun watch especially with friends, great for those who like stuff like Shaun of the Dead.

***** out of *****

Here's my overall list:
1. Pontypool
2. Nosferatu
3. The Masque of the Red Death
4. The Last Exorcism
5. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
6. Thirst
7. Antibodies
8. The Burning
9. The Sentinel
10. Atrocious
11. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
12. Black Death
13. The Snowtown Murders
14. Mother
15. Creepshow 2
16. Bloody Birthday
17. Kidnapped
18. Hour of the Wolf
19. Candyman
20. Santa Sangre
21. Pulse
22. Black Sabbath
23. The House of the Devil
24. Dream Home
25. Insidious
26. A Tale of Two Sisters
27. The Woman
28. Funny Games
29. The Faculty

I don't know if I'll get through them all, but at least they're all on Netlflix Instant.

Sep 30
#1: Sssssss
I picked this one randomly and was pleasantly surprised by a solid b-movie. Tl;dr, a scientist in a small town really loves snakes and turns a college student into a king cobra. Most of the movie is pretty boring character development and poor snake science, but the last half hour is so crazy it makes the buildup worth it. The scientist is well-developed and is the star of the show with his love of Whitman and disrespect for human life. It's technically a horror movie, but the only genuinely creepy scene is the
carnival snake-man: imagine a grown-up harlequin fetus without limbs.
Rating: 3.5/5

Astaereth

October 1st - Movie #1 - Devil

devil.jpg

October begins inauspiciously, with Devil, a good movie drowning under a shitty one. The result is something that managed to keep my attention and give up at least a few bits of what Stephen King calls "frisson", a few clever touches here and there. The opening credits, helicopter shots of a city flipped upside-down, are a real delight, giving the otherwise ordinary images a sense of vertigo and dread--love the use of a suspension bridge to subtly evoke an upside-down cross.

Unfortunately, it's mostly downhill from there. The film never does much with one of my favorite genres, the restrained space movie (Lifeboat, Phone Booth), which usually please with an inventive mining of the surroundings for plot points and props, like a screenwriter using every part of a buffalo. The entire movie also suffers from extremely thin characterization (again, these movies usually get inside the heads of each character, and this sort-of does that, but it's a thin gruel), despite performances that are honestly better than the movie deserves. And although the procedural aspect is interesting (as the detective tries to determine which of the trapped elevator-riders is a killer), it mostly boils down to one false guess after another in between scenes of the detective yelling "Get in there!" while the Philly FD basically stand around with their dicks in their hands.

Moving on down the clipboard, Devil also loses points for the bad guy being the one I guessed at the beginning based on the "it's the last one you expect" theory (along with the obvious red herrings). Moreover, its sense of timing is just off in terms of scares (which is obviously deadly to a horror film), with key jump points wasted by set-ups whose tension is never established or, worse, is allowed to defuse (two separate death scenes happen long after you expect them to, for instance).

That said, I do have to give the movie credit for pretty effective direction, especially the (rather bizarre) POV shots early on, and the overall use of claustrophobic low angled handheld in the elevator.

Really, though, the worst issue is the decision they made to slather the film in "Did you hear me in the cheap seats?" religious posturing. There's a really shitty voice-over throughout telling us "they're all going to die!" over and over again, which, I mean, come on, it's a horror movie. This also has the effect of making most of the film a waiting game, since the only explanation is supernatural and it's clear from the start that there's not much to hope for. The movie would have been a fair sight better had it just presented the story without trying to force it to mean something, and that goes double for the utterly underwhelming finish, which just begged for a Se7en moment. Oh well.

I have now put almost as much thought into Devil as the filmmakers did. That's my cue to stop. Overall, decent execution, not a bad idea, but probably not worth seeing. Onward and upward!

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Sep 30
#1: Sssssss
I picked this one randomly and was pleasantly surprised by a solid b-movie. Tl;dr, a scientist in a small town really loves snakes and turns a college student into a king cobra. Most of the movie is pretty boring character development and poor snake science, but the last half hour is so crazy it makes the buildup worth it. The scientist is well-developed and is the star of the show with his love of Whitman and disrespect for human life. It's technically a horror movie, but the only genuinely creepy scene is the
carnival snake-man: imagine a grown-up harlequin fetus without limbs.
Rating: 3.5/5

My mom always talked about this movie, and she was so happy when she found it to rent. I think my favorite part were the really terrible cartoon leaves during the skinny dipping scene.

Kayo-kun

1. The Cabin in the Woods (Oct 1)

18081587115620912660.png

I've watched The Cabin in the Woods several times now, the first one was at the cinema, and I became a huge fan of the movie. I love the black humour and the way the movie is a parody of horror movies, yet how it's something so unique.

I highly suggest this movie to everyone who is a fan of horror movies, it's one of my favourite movies from this year, especially the last 30 minutes is an amazing experience. 9/10

big ander

here's my very messy list
Plan is to spend most of my time watching the Freddy, Jason, and Michael movies I haven't seen (from 3 on for Jason and Fred, 4 on for Mikey) in the order that they were released, tossing in some other movies to break it up. Already watched friday pt3 but'll update later.

Friday Part III 1982
Friday 4 final chapter 1984
Dracula 1931
Friday 5 a new beginning 1985
Friday 6 Jason lives 1986
The Wicker Man 1973
Nightmare 3 Dream Warriors feb1987
Hellraiser 1987
Friday 7 new blood may1988
Saw 2004
Nightmare 4 Dream Master aug1988
Halloween 4 Return Oct1988
Let the right one in 2008
Friday 8 manhattan july1989
nightmare 5 dream child aug1989
The birds 1963
Halloween 5 Revenge oct1989
nightmare 6 aka freddy’s dead final sept 1991
re-animator 1985
Friday 9 hell final aug1993
the texas chainsaw massacre 1974
nightmare 7 aka new nightmare oct1994
whatever happened to baby jane? 1962
Halloween 6 curse sept1995
tremors 1990
Halloween 7 H20 aug1998
king kong 1933
Friday 10 X apr2002
Halloween Resurrection july2002
Freddy vs Jason aug2003
Paranormal Activity 4

01_TheCabinInTheWoods.jpg

#1) The Cabin in the Woods (2012) (Oct 1)

"This isn't right. We should split up."

I've had this Blu-ray sitting here, waiting to be watched... clawing to get out... but I was saving it for the start of my 31 days. Was it worth the wait? Did it live up to the hype? Yes and HELL YES.

I'm not going to get into details on the plot since it's one of those movies you should go into knowing nothing at all, and luckily aside from the trailer and other marketing materials giving away the basic setup - I was pretty unaware of what to expect. From the way the opening title was handled, I knew this was a movie for me and I had a stupid grin on my face all the way up to the ending.

If I were to complain about anything, it would be the CG shots. I'm not a fan of CG in horror movies unless it's used to accentuate or enhance practical effects so the few CG shots in this did bring me out of the movie a little. It's not really an issue with the film though, it's just me being anal. Also, while I'm a fan of the brisk runtime and think it works wonderfully, I really wonder how this would have played out if it had say, been a 6 episode-mini series on cable and had a little more room to expand on things.

Last year Basket Case was the most fun I'd had with my new viewings, this year it's going to be tough to beat Cabin in the Woods. I fear I may have already peaked and it's only the first day! I've pulled together some classics I haven't seen before so I'm sure I'll see some better all-around movies, but it's hard to imagine having more fun than I did with this.

HIGHLY recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. And if you haven't, do so before being spoiled.

Time to get the ball rolling

1. Audition (1999)

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhsrsWcEspc

di-W6W5.jpg

To start off this marathon, a Japanese film by Takashi Miike. Audition is really a film of two halves, the first half plays out in a very drama-like setting which is slow in setting out the rest of the movie, but essential for understanding character motivations for the climax of the film. The first half built up to a crazy and surreal second half which became quite unbearable to watch at times.. which is a good thing as it gives the movie the extra edge it needed. This is worth a watch if you pay attention to the subtle (and also strong) messages it has and not just concentrate on the ending.

Overall: 7/10

I dont watch a lot of movies so I dont know what makes a horror movie a horror movie. It doesn't just have to be super natural ghosts right? I think its when the main characters are put in hopeless or a situation that provokes the flight or fight response.

I dont watch a lot of movies so I dont know what makes a horror movie a horror movie. It doesn't just have to be super natural ghosts right? I think its when the main characters are put in hopeless or a situation that provokes the flight or fight response.

Yeah, it's a pretty broad term, so when I'm in doubt about a movie I just go to IMDb and see what genres they have listed for it. A lot of fight or flight movies can also be considered thrillers though, so I always look for something that has some kind of horrific element (serial killer, etc).

There's always movies that are up for debate too, like a lot of people don't consider movies like Army of Darkness a horror movie even though it's filled the brim with monsters because it's so far away from Evil Dead 1, which is your more standard horror flick. And then there's stuff like Jaws that some consider horror and some don't.

So anyway, it doesn't just have to be super natural or even scary, really. Just something horrific or monstrous is enough for me to consider it a horror movie.

J-Roderton

Not all exactly "horror" flicks, but I can dig these around the Halloween season.

1. Sleepy Hollow
2. Hocus Pocus
3. Monster House
4. Shaun of The Dead
5. The Unborn
6. Orphan
7. Trick R Treat
8. The NIghtmare Before Christmas
9. The Exorsist
10. Casper
11. Wallace and Grommit Were Rabbit
12. Night of Demons
13. Scared Shrekless
14. The Woman in Black
15. Coraline
16. Garfield Halloween
17. The Ring
18. The Loved Ones
19. The Haunting
20. The Innkeepers
21. Insidious
22. The Strangers
23. Silent Hill
24. The Grudge
25. Evil Dead
26. Session 9
27. Cabin in The Woods
28. Don't Be Afraid of The Dark
29. American Werewolf in London

I don't really dig the old movies like Jason, Halloween, Freddy, etc. I always watch the animated movies this time of year. Gets me in the Halloween spirit.

Anyway, any good werewolf movie recommendations?

Ridley327

Oct. 1: Don't Look Now (dir. Nicolas Roeg)

Kicking off this year's marathon in grand fashion, Nicolas Roeg's wonderful adaptation of Daphne du Maurier's short story manages to be utterly captivating without much of a narrative to speak of. The menace that pervades in every frame of this film is reason enough to keep watching; even during gentler moments, you can't quite escape the feeling of something being off. Superb editing, terrific performances from both Sutherland and Christie, and a magnificent score care of the legendary Pino Donnagio all come together to create a masterpiece of tension and suspense. Really terrific stuff all around.

Day 2 preview: Going forward about 40 years, we turn to a recent film that is also about a haunted man. A hitman is pulled back in for one last job, but is everything as it seems, or does something far more sinister than he could ever imagine lurk underneath the surface? Kill List is our next film, one that hopefully lives up to its rather lofty praise.

You already have the best one in your list, American Werewolf in London. Silver Bullet (1985) is decent and Dog Soldiers (2002) is good.

I'm going to be watching Howling 1 and 2 later on during my marathon so I'll have reviews for those when I do (probably mid-month for those).

Ridley327

The Howling should definitely not be missed; it's exactly what you'd think a werewolf film by Joe Dante would be like.

The Howling 2 is absolutely terrible, but for all the right reasons. Werewolf threesomes, the hero from Space Mutiny, midgets, Christopher Lee, the greatest end credits ever, and more awful werewolf masks than an aisle in Target.

harSon

Banned
Hammer Horror:
Horror of Dracula
The Curse of Frankenstein
The Curse of the Werewolf

OG Monster Films:
Dracula (1931)
The Mummy (1932)
Frankenstein (1935)and Bride of Frankenstein double feature

Italian Horror:
The Beyond
Deep Red
Black Sunday
Cemetary Man

Slashers:
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon
The Burning

Ghost Films:
The Innocents
Stir of Echoes
Session 9
Poltergeist
The Changeling
The Uninvited

Asian Horror:
Bio Zombie

B-Movies:
Chopping Mall
Society
Abominable Dr Phibes
Night of the Comet

Comedy Horror:
Return of the Living Dead
Slither
Demon Knight
Creepshow
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

I'm getting sick of making categories, so here's the rest:
Angel Heart
The Brood
Dead and Buried
Lifeforce
REC
The Orphanage
Santa Sangre
Frality
Warlock
Ravenous
Martin
Little Otik or Lunacy, I'm conflicted. Never seen a Jan Svankmajer but need too!
Tetsuo: The Iron Man
Phantasm

Standby films: Dead Heat, They Live, The Hitcher (Original), Pet Semetary, The Haunting, The Wicker Man (Original), Godzilla (Original), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), Jacob's Ladder, Fright Night (Original), Maniac, Demons, , Salam's Lot, Arachnophobia
---------------

I couldn't narrow it down to the likely 31-40 films that I'll watch this month, but this is basically the list of films that I'll be choosing from over the course of the month. I'll make my decisions on the fly instead of totally constricting myself.

odWGx.jpg

#1 Nosferatu (1922) (Oct. 1) - Murnau's singular, silent vision of Stoker's Dracula introduced the undead to film and held tremendous influence over vampire Cinema well into the latter half of the 20th Century. No simpering, glittering, angst-ridden adolescent, Count Orlac is a pestulence; rat-countenanced, beclawed and alien, with the strength of ten, he regards people as cattle and wears the Black Death like a cloak. This beautifully crafted expressionist film is so full of iconic images and moments of real visual power, it's a genuine shame so few people take the opportunity to appreciate it any more. Ne'ertheless, it remains a compelling and brilliant horror film. I enjoyed my Kino print tonight, but the Image disc is equally good; either would be a worthy inclusion for a marathon month of horror!

bjork

I must've totally missed the point with Cabin in the Woods. I'm completely puzzled by the praise it gets. So-so plot and not scary at all.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I must've totally missed the point with Cabin in the Woods. I'm completely puzzled by the praise it gets. So-so plot and not scary at all.

You definitely did miss the point. Not supposed to be scary.

anyways started my list!

Sleepaway camp (1983)

Will write more detailed stuff later... have a few movies picked out, will be watching Psycho II tonight.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
first time ive read Don't Look Now impressions without mention of the terrific sex scene in awhile!

Not all exactly "horror" flicks, but I can dig these around the Halloween season.

1. Sleepy Hollow
2. Hocus Pocus
3. Monster House
4. Shaun of The Dead
5. The Unborn
6. Orphan
7. Trick R Treat
8. The NIghtmare Before Christmas
9. The Exorsist
10. Casper
11. Wallace and Grommit Were Rabbit
12. Night of Demons
13. Scared Shrekless
14. The Woman in Black
15. Coraline
16. Garfield Halloween
17. The Ring
18. The Loved Ones
19. The Haunting
20. The Innkeepers
21. Insidious
22. The Strangers
23. Silent Hill
24. The Grudge
25. Evil Dead
26. Session 9
27. Cabin in The Woods
28. Don't Be Afraid of The Dark
29. American Werewolf in London

I don't really dig the old movies like Jason, Halloween, Freddy, etc. I always watch the animated movies this time of year. Gets me in the Halloween spirit.

I really like your list. I'll be watching all those same kid movies with my little ones. They are only ages 3 and 5 but they absolutely love anything scary. I would recommend Monster Squad too, although it has a gruesome death or 3 in it! The Simpsons Halloween specials get a yearly watch from my family too.

As for werewolf movies, I really liked Ginger Snaps. Lycanthropy is used as an allegory for a teenage girl's journey through puberty. It's very well done IMO and definately worth a watch.

bjork

You definitely did miss the point. Not supposed to be scary

I think I would've liked it better if
the whole facility thing wasn't shown until the access point in the empty grave was shown. Knowing that these people were being manipulated the whole time made it feel like watching someone play Roomania or something.
:shrug:

The Howling should definitely not be missed; it's exactly what you'd think a werewolf film by Joe Dante would be like.

The Howling 2 is absolutely terrible, but for all the right reasons. Werewolf threesomes, the hero from Space Mutiny, midgets, Christopher Lee, the greatest end credits ever, and more awful werewolf masks than an aisle in Target.

Well, you just moved the Howling 2 further up on my list, haha.

Im not going to say much about the flicks....just some quick thoughts on them

1. Kilometer 31
6ge8b.jpg

Im surprised and how good this movie. Its kind of a different take on La Llorona and other urban legends about ghost. I guess one of the easiest ways to describe is its a Mexican version of the ring. The only warning I have is I hope your understand spanish pretty well because there is no english subs.

A-

2. El Orfanato
owTmM.jpg

The only reason I finished watching it was because of Belén Rueda. There is a pretty hardcore scene where
the social worker from the beginning of the film gets hit by a truck and her jaw is all fucked up.

Next Up El Espejo de la bruja. This will finish day 1

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I think I would've liked it better if
the whole facility thing wasn't shown until the access point in the empty grave was shown. Knowing that these people were being manipulated the whole time made it feel like watching someone play Roomania or something.
:shrug:

See I don't think that's supposed to be a twist or anything... it's the point of the movie. It's meta, which is a little played out, but it's meta in a way that hasn't been done before. It helps
(just in case I'll spoiler) explain away cliches and why everything works out so conveniently well
For me the real twist comes when
The way they're able to get down to the facility and what happens there. The gore is awesome, the kills are insane and hilarious (unicorn death!), and the ending for me was perfect... I mean really how else could it have ended?
I definitely understand how it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think you should try it again with a different outlook, maybe you'd enjoy it :).

Pontypoolposter.jpg

1. Pontypool (2009)

I saw this sweater the other day, and I started thinking about all the memes that have passed through pop culture in the past decade. So far, I've through memes big (LOLcats) and small (Dolan comics), innocuous (The Overly Obsessed Girlfriend) and potentially harmful (dickwolves). Internet memes are significant enough that we have multiple sites that define them. The word "meme" was modeled on "gene," and the first time I encountered the term was in Aaron Lynch's Thought Contagion. Ideas pass through us, and the leave their marks whether we're aware of it or not.

Pontypool is an effective illustration of how culture infects us, externalizing "harmful" or "destructive" ideas as a literal virus that infects our words. The film reminded me of Grant Morrison's interpretation of the Anti-Life Equation from from Final Crisis, and it also reminded me of John Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness. Ideas have power, and they're much more easily transmitted than a blood-borne pathogen. That's the key to the film's ability to build tension.

Structurally, the film is a little clunky. A man actually climbs in through the window to deliver exposition about the virus, and he leaves when the job is done. People would probably be not so blase if they saw their colleague slamming into an office window over and over. While Stephen McHattie plays the burnt out shock jock well, little moments like that betray the film's attempts to build horror through tension.

But the movie is worth viewing that plays to its low budget to become a creepy film.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
QDxDZ.jpg

#1 - Martyrs

The 31 days of horror have begun with a film I have kept putting off for a while, as I knew what happens in it, and didn't really want to see that. However, there's also a voice telling me to stop wimping out and absorb the horror. Since last year I've subjected myself to A Serbian Film and The Human Centipede 2, and since I survived those ordeals (and they really are tough to watch) I thought now is the time to settle down with a nice cup of cocoa and Martyrs.
Now I've done it I can safely say this is not as near-unviewable like the above, but my God it's grim. Not one to see with friends, as by the end you'll be staring at each other in stoney silence and have the feeling like you need to shower.
The film begins with a young girl called Lucie running through an abandoned abattoir having escaped from being tortured by persons unseen. She is picked up and placed in an orphanage and makes friends with a girl called Anna. They never find out who abused her. Lucie is chased by an undead woman who wants to kill her.
15 years later we are presented with a scene of a family having breakfast and arguing about university funding. There's a knock on the door. It's Lucie, come to gun them all down with a shotgun. She believes the mother and father had a hand in torturing her all those years ago, and when she's done, calls on Anna to help clear the bodies.
Believing the undead demon will disappear now she's killed those responsible for her imprisonment, Lucie is shocked when it strikes her again, cutting her with a razor and slamming her head into a wall. Anna witnesses this except there is no demon, Lucie is doing it to herself as she is insane. Coming to realise this will never stop, Lucie kills herself.
In the morning, Anna discovers the house has a basement, and finds a horribly tortured woman chained to the wall. While taking care of the woman, the perpetrators arrive, kill the victim and drag Anna into the basement, where a lady called Mademoiselle wishes to turn her into a martyr, a witness to the afterlife, by subjecting Anna to repeating, constant brutality and degradation over an indeterminate amount of time until she 'transcends pain'. The final stage of this involves being skinned alive. I'll stop there.
Despite it being an uncomfortable watch, the torture has a meaning here, unlike some other films which take glee in eviscerating humans in creative ways. It's not a bad film actually, the two main leads were impressive (how many actresses would sign up for this?) But it is very nihilistic and I'm glad it's over with.

fNeEN.jpg

#1 Dawn of the Dead (October 1)
"When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth."
Satirical, horrifying and endlessly entertaining, I've lost track of how many times I've watched George A. Romero's masterpiece. Living in a world where people line up for hours to be the first to purchase smart phones, the commentary on greed and materialism is just as relevant today as it was back in 1976. The gore is strictly of the EC Comics variety, with bright red blood and extra-chewy looking flesh, but that's just one of the many charms here. Dawn of the Dead stands tall as true landmark in horror.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
AM4w0.jpg

#1 - The Host

meh. not enough going on in the middle third to keep me interested. i'd heard pretty good stuff, but just didnt work for me. decent flick, but kind of a lame kick off to my 31 nights of horror considering it spends more time focusing on dramatic elements than the monster

Endo Punk

Fuck it. I'll just watch Cinemassacre's Monster Madness 80's-a-thon and decide which films to watch from there. First up, GALAXY OF TERROR.

Ridley327

Fuck it. I'll just watch Cinemassacre's Monster Madness 80's-a-thon and decide which films to watch from there. First up, GALAXY OF TERROR.

Even though Rolfe spoils the shit out of the death scenes, the production design is something to marvel at throughout. James Cameron did a hell of a fucking job on that film.

QDxDZ.jpg

#1 - Martyrs

The 31 days of horror have begun with a film I have kept putting off for a while, as I knew what happens in it, and didn't really want to see that. However, there's also a voice telling me to stop wimping out and absorb the horror. Since last year I've subjected myself to A Serbian Film and The Human Centipede 2, and since I survived those ordeals (and they really are tough to watch) I thought now is the time to settle down with a nice cup of cocoa and Martyrs.
Now I've done it I can safely say this is not as near-unviewable like the above, but my God it's grim. Not one to see with friends, as by the end you'll be staring at each other in stoney silence and have the feeling like you need to shower.
The film begins with a young girl called Lucie running through an abandoned abattoir having escaped from being tortured by persons unseen. She is picked up and placed in an orphanage and makes friends with a girl called Anna. They never find out who abused her. Lucie is chased by an undead woman who wants to kill her.
15 years later we are presented with a scene of a family having breakfast and arguing about university funding. There's a knock on the door. It's Lucie, come to gun them all down with a shotgun. She believes the mother and father had a hand in torturing her all those years ago, and when she's done, calls on Anna to help clear the bodies.
Believing the undead demon will disappear now she's killed those responsible for her imprisonment, Lucie is shocked when it strikes her again, cutting her with a razor and slamming her head into a wall. Anna witnesses this except there is no demon, Lucie is doing it to herself as she is insane. Coming to realise this will never stop, Lucie kills herself.
In the morning, Anna discovers the house has a basement, and finds a horribly tortured woman chained to the wall. While taking care of the woman, the perpetrators arrive, kill the victim and drag Anna into the basement, where a lady called Mademoiselle wishes to turn her into a martyr, a witness to the afterlife, by subjecting Anna to repeating, constant brutality and degradation over an indeterminate amount of time until she 'transcends pain'. The final stage of this involves being skinned alive. I'll stop there.
Despite it being an uncomfortable watch, the torture has a meaning here, unlike some other films which take glee in eviscerating humans in creative ways. It's not a bad film actually, the two main leads were impressive (how many actresses would sign up for this?) But it is very nihilistic and I'm glad it's over with.

This is an absolute trip, this one. That ending...

Top Bottom