• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 7 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

sadromeo

Glad this thread is back.

October 22, 2017: Saw 4 --7/10
October 23, 2017: Saw 5 --7/10
October 24, 2017: Saw 6 --7/10
October 25, 2017: Saw: The Final Chapter (Saw 7) --8/10
October 26, 2017: Jigsaw (Saw 8) - Really enjoyed this. Laser cutters FTW. --8/10

October 27, 2017:

TCDz5Vy.jpg

27 of 31 - Noroi: The Curse

A movie about a paranormal investigator/researcher's latest story about an old village's possible demon summoning ritual that has seemed to still be affecting people now...

This japanese movie portrays a paranormal researcher and his camerman during their investigation of a curse that was created by an old village's summoning ritual of a demon called Kagutaba. This village was eventually submerged by water when a dam is built nearby but it seems those that used to live in that village, including the daughter of the priest who performed the ritual, are still affected by it.

A longer movie but nicely ties in the story of the old village and strange coincidences that are uncovered by the investigator leading them to the village and the discovery of Kagutaba. If you like movies like Ring and Grudge (japanese versions) then this should be watched. I enjoyed it. -7/10

sadromeo

October 28, 2017:

ixjuWgG.jpg

28 of 31 - Ouija

A creepy movie about teens using a Ouija board to connect with a recently deceased friend who is believed to commit suicide in her home but instead find themselves bounded with a different spirit. They also learn the dark history of the home and the previous family that lived there.

An entertaining film mixing teen horror flick with a well known paranormal device. The story is tight and the scares are here and there. Great cameo by the legendary Lin Shaye too. -7/10

sadromeo

October 29, 2017:

bePzfuq.jpg

29 of 31 - Ouija: The Origin of Evil

The origin story of Doris Zander and her sister Lina, their mother and the infamous Ouija board of the first Ouija movie.

The movie shows in detail the events leading up to the death of Doris and how Lina ends up in the mental institution. I actually liked this one over the first one. It felt more traditionally scary and creepy. All scary movies with little girls are scary and the way Lulu Wilson (Doris) plays out her character with the special effects nails it. Always have a fun time watching this. -7/10

watched get out this weekend.

i really enjoyed it. though there were some aspects that i thought just were a little in your face forced or unneeded. it was cool and creepy though. personally i think its overrated at the time of release, but it was still worth a watch.

sadromeo

Do you need to see Ouija and Annabelle first or are the prequels good stand alones? I've only heard bad about the first for both those

They're fine. I think that you miss some of the continuity/relation between the two movies in both Ouija and Annabelle but it is nothing a wiki search couldn't help clarify. I feel each movie could stand alone, it is just neat, in my opinion, to see and realize how the two movies in each set 'relate' to each other.

sadromeo

October 30, 2017:

VDpRXIJ.jpg

30 of 31 - George Romero's Day of the Dead

The zombie apocalypse is fully underway and a small contingent of military personnel, a group of scientists, a helicopter pilot and an electrician are holed up in an underground facility in the hopes of trying discover what has caused the epidemic. The head scientist decides that teaching the zombies how to behave and have control would better suit their chances of survival as opposed to shooting each zombie in the head with their dwindling supply of ammunition and men.

I watched this as sort of a personal tribute to the legendary George A. Romero. I enjoyed watching this time the same as I did the first time. I believe the tension between the military and scientists would still exist today should we find ourselves caught in a zombie apocalypse. I liked the contrast of the harsh yet on edge military versus the calmer more subdued civilians. It's too bad that they just could not work together as that would definitely increased their chances of survival. This is certainly not the last time I will watch this and to George A. Romero, RIP and thank you. -9/10

kunonabi

Like usual I couldn't manage the 31 films which is why I didn't even make a formal attempt.

I did mange

Blair Witch - absolutely dreadful
Wes Craven's New Nightmare - still excellent
Pumpkinhead - first time I've watched since I was little. Not sure why it gave me nightmares but still a solid flick.
Saw 1-4 - first three are still solid
The Blob (1988) - Liked it about the same as the original
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - Has its moments but boy is it out there. That said, it's probably still the second best movie in the franchise.

Probably going to watch the elm street marathon during trick or treat hours and watch some blu rays on my new tv after that:

Alien
Carrie
Tenebrae

Metalmarc

Ladies and gentlemen I did a measly one this year, What we do in the Shadows rewatch, in part cos i was ill at the start of october, then i just didnt feel like it after going back to work and constantly being out of energy, plus there has been tons of cool video games.

But as a Horror fan I still watch Horror films all year round, and probably will continue some until th end of the year

I just failed 31 days of Horror, as thers not many hours left of halloween here in the UK, maybe next year I can get my revenge.

ehead

I wasn't able to participate this year due to transferring to a new apartment and Switch. Tried last year but fell short of 5 movies, I think. Here's to hoping this continues next year. I have a lot to catch up to.

J-Roderton

31 in the books.

Update:
25.The Conjuring 2 - Actually really liked it. Just great visuals.
26. Leprechaun - Silly
27. Pieces - Average slasher
28. The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh - Second rewatch. Always gives me the creeps.
29. The Monster Squad - Never saw this one growing up. It's fantastic.
30. The Loved Ones - Hard to watch. Great.

Aaaaaaaand of course, the usual...

31. Trick 'R Treat - My favorite Halloween movie, best saved annually for October 31st. Classic

Good month. Only three rewatches. Also, I think I'm going to hang on the Shudder for a while. It's totally worth the money for me.

Favorite new watch for 2017 - Sleepaway Camp

Least favorite new watch for 2017 - The Gallows

https://letterboxd.com/Jroderton/

I'd hate to leave my own thread unfinished, so here's my final list. I did not keep up my reviews for the second half of the month because of stuff happening, but I did finish my viewings.

Final Viewed List (2017):
01) Gerald's Game (2017) (Oct 1) - 4 / 5
02) Hatchet for the Honeymoon (Il rosso segno della follia) (1970) (Oct 3) - 4 / 5
03) The Stepfather (1987) (Oct 3) - 3 / 5
04) Possession (1981) (Oct 4) - 4 / 5
05) Touch of Death (Quando Alice ruppe lo specchio) (1988) (Oct 5) - 2 / 5
06) A Cat in the Brain (Un gatto nel cervello) (1990) (Oct 5) - 3 / 5
07) The Funhouse (1981) (Oct 7) - 2.5 / 5
Bonus 01) The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) (Oct 7) (rewatch)
08) Rosemary's Baby (1968) (Oct 08) - 5 / 5
09) The Backcoat's Daughter (February) (2015) (Oct 9) - 4 / 5
10) The Love Witch (2016) (Oct 10) - 1 / 5
11) The Wolf Man (1941) (Oct 11) - 3 / 5
12) The Greasy Strangler (2016) (Oct 12) - 3.5 / 5
13) What We Become (Sorgenfri) (2015) (Oct 13) - 3 / 5
Bonus 02) Friday the 13th (2009) (Oct 13) (rewatch)
14) Saturday the 14th (1981) (Oct 14) - 1 / 5
15) Better Watch Out (2016) (Oct 15) - 4 / 5
Bonus 03) Child's Play (1988) (Oct 15) (rewatch)
16) The Babysitter (2017) (Oct 16) - 4 / 5
Bonus 04) Child's Play 2 (1990) (Oct 16) (rewatch)
Bonus 05) Child's Play 3 (1991) (Oct 16) (rewatch)
17) Death Smiles on a Murderer (La morte ha sorriso all'assassino) (1973) (Oct 17) - 3.5 / 5
Bonus 06) Bride of Chucky (1998) (Oct 17) (rewatch)
Bonus 07) Seed of Chucky (Oct 18) (rewatch)
18) Phantasm IV: Oblivion (1998) (Oct 19) - 2.5 / 5
19) Phantasm: Ravager (2016) (Oct 20) - 1.5 / 5
Bonus 08) Curse of Chucky (2013) (Oct 20) (rewatch)
20) Cult of Chucky (2017) (Oct 21) - 4 / 5
21) The Kiss of the Vampire (1963) (Oct 22) - 3.5 / 5
22) Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966) (Oct 24) - 4 / 5
23) Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968) (Oct 25) - 3.5 / 5
24) The Mutilator (1984) (Oct 25) - 2.5 / 5
25) The Final Girls (2015) (Oct 26) - 3 / 5
26) The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh (Lo strano vizio della signora Wardh) (1971) (Oct 27) - 4 / 5
27) Four Flies on Grey Velvet (4 mosche di velluto grigio) (1971) (Oct 28) - 3 / 5
28) The Lair of the White Worm (1988) (Oct 28) - 3 / 5
29) The Unholy (1988) (Oct 29) - 2.5 / 5
30) Patchwork (2015) (Oct 30) - 2.5 / 5
31) Martin (1978) (Oct 31) - 3 / 5
Bonus 09) Night of the Living Dead (1968) (Oct 31) (rewatch)

Postmortem:
Number of New Movies Watched: 31
Number of Bonus Movies: 9
Highlights: Gerald's Game, Possession, The Backcoat's Daughter, Better Watch Out, Cult of Chucky, The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh
Best Overall: Rosemary's Baby
Biggest Surprise: Death Smiles on a Murderer
Complete Crap: The Love Witch
Biggest Disappointment: Saturday the 14th
Biggest Blasphemy: Calling The Love Witch a comedy
Best Kill:
Eye knocked out and skull split open by a log, and then head shoved in a microwave and face melted off
from Touch of Death.
Most Messed Up Kill:
The hook and axe
in The Mutilator. You know the one I'm talking about.
Babysitter Fatalities: 3
Best Character: Tiffany in the Chucky series
Worst Character: Franklin in The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Bullshit Artist: Big Ronnie in The Greasy Strangler
Cutest Dog: Rinnie (?) in The Stepfather
Least Cute Dog: The stray in Gerald's Game
Most Icky: Tie (for totally different reasons): Gerald's Game and The Greasy Strangler
Most Vomit Inducing Line: "Looks like a massive mouse's head." from The Greasy Strangler
Best Fashion Sense: Big Ronnie in The Greasy Strangler
Second Best Fashion Sense: Chucky in the Chucky series
Too Old to Still Be Calling Himself "McG": McG
Number of Movies That Start With "The" in the Title: 14
Most "What the FUCK?": Possession
Boy, that Escalated Quickly: The Stepfather
Boy, that Escalated Slowly: Rosemary's Baby

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I didn't get to watch as much as I would like to have. At the same time, I am sort of needing a break lol...

New movies I watched:
Return of the Living Dead - I LOVED this. Definitely a classic shlock flick from the 80s. This one will definitely get rewatched in the future. May even explore more of the franchise.

Night of the Creeps - Not sure if this was better or not as good as ROTLD, but it was tremendous. Also that the cop was also the main guy in Halloween 3 (another movie I watched for the first time)

Halloween 3 - my second favorite movie of the franchise. Not cinema history but just stupid 80s horror fun.

The Hills Have Eyes remake - meh... it was ok. Pretty fun but a pretty basic 00s R slasher flick. Out of the 4 I've listed so far this was definitely far down on the list.

Demons - This was really good. Probably slightly under the top 4, but not by much.

Son of Frankenstein - the next movie after Bride, and really I loved this classic universal flick. Lugosi was just evil, and too much of the content was later used in Young Frankenstein!!

Movie I hadn't seen in a while
Horror of Dracula - not as classic as I remember it. It was decent, but DEFINITELY a lot of form over substance. Still want to continue further with this particular series

The Fog - Definitely the start of Carpenter heading toward more supernatural horror. Pretty good but again heavy in style and a bit lighter in substance.

Frankenstein - What more need be said.

Halloween 2 - really just an average movie at best. so so so so much Michael Meyers on screen. My teenage daughter watched with me and even exclaimed "how can no one else see him?? He's in almost every shot of the movie!!!"

Yearly rewatches
Sleepy Hollow
Paranorman
American Werewolf in London
Young Frankenstein
Fright Night

Top Bottom